Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heating plates

Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
plates?

We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a difference for
dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the oven on, put the
plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes and turn the oven off with
the plates in there. If we used the oven for cooking, they will warm much
faster, but you have to take some care as they can be too hot from a 300+
degree oven.

I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm longer.
Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
> plates?
>
> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a difference for
> dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the oven on, put the
> plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes and turn the oven off with
> the plates in there. If we used the oven for cooking, they will warm much
> faster, but you have to take some care as they can be too hot from a 300+
> degree oven.
>
> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm longer.
> Ed

My grandmother used to have a heating-pad type of thing that was
specifically made to heat dining plates. It was convenient, and there
was no concern about breaking plates. That warming pad would hold many
plates at one time, although I forget the number (up to 16???). She'd
always bring out that plate-warmer when she had a 'big' meal/party for
family & friends, especially for the holidays.

Sky, who misses those occasions now that grandmother is gone

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
> plates?
>
> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a difference for
> dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the oven on, put the
> plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes and turn the oven off with
> the plates in there. If we used the oven for cooking, they will warm much
> faster, but you have to take some care as they can be too hot from a 300+
> degree oven.
>
> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm longer.
> Ed

Can the microwave be used to warm plates?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> > I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
> > longer.
> > Ed

> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

No. And if you can warm an empty mug in your microwave, then you
shouldn't. It's not safe for microwaves. Sometimes I'll heat a mug in
the microwave. I fill it with a little water and then dump the water.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:18:18 -0600:

>> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you
>> heat your plates?
>>
>> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a
>> difference for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I
>> turn the oven on, put the plates in, and just let it warm for
>> a few minutes and turn the oven off with the plates in there.
>> If we used the oven for cooking, they will warm much faster,
>> but you have to take some care as they can be too hot from a
>> 300+ degree oven.
>>
>> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will
>> stay warm longer. Ed

> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

Why don't you just use an electrical glass or metal hot tray? The Salton
company used to make them. They are not expensive, have an adjustable
thermostatted control and can hold most of a meal as well as heating up
the plates. In the days when I thought it worthwhile to make yoghurt or
Indian fermented rice or breads, the lowest setting with a cloth below a
container worked rather well. Some of them even have a higher
temperature hot spot that is good for things like coffee.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat
> your plates?

I don't t but I live in the southern U.S. It's still in the70s(F) degrees
here But even when it isn't hot here, I've never heated a plate at home.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> My grandmother used to have a heating-pad type of thing that was
> specifically made to heat dining plates. It was convenient, and there
> was no concern about breaking plates. That warming pad would hold many
> plates at one time, although I forget the number (up to 16???). She'd
> always bring out that plate-warmer when she had a 'big' meal/party for
> family & friends, especially for the holidays.
>
> Sky, who misses those occasions now that grandmother is gone

At least you have the memories... :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
> > plates?
> >
> > We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a difference for
> > dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the oven on, put the
> > plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes and turn the oven off with
> > the plates in there. If we used the oven for cooking, they will warm much
> > faster, but you have to take some care as they can be too hot from a 300+
> > degree oven.
> >
> > I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm longer.
> > Ed

> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

No, it is not advisable. If an empty plate gets warm(ed) in the MW,
then I'd worry about its potential content of lead (was it made in China
perhaps?)! The only way I can see plates getting warm in a MW is if
they're immersed in a large container of water, where the heat transfers
from the water to the plates - or, if there's already some food on the
plate that's getting re-warmed and the heat from the food transfers to
the plate. Better off to use some heat(ing) pads.

Dang, I just checked with William-Sonoma for a plate warming pad, and
they didn't have one - surprised me! I even telephoned their toll-free
numer, and the lady who answered the phone had no clue either. Of all
places likely to have a "plate warming pad," I'd figure it'd be W-S!!!
Well dang! The one my grandmother had was like a very long heating pad,
and it would "accordion" (sp?) the plates between the layers, so to
speak --- rather hard to describe.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 01 Nov 2008 06:52:37p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
> plates?
>
> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a difference
> for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the oven on, put
> the plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes and turn the oven
> off with the plates in there. If we used the oven for cooking, they
> will warm much faster, but you have to take some care as they can be too
> hot from a 300+ degree oven.
>
> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
> longer. Ed

I seldom warm plates for just the two of us, but I almost always do when
having guests.

I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Saints Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 2dys 1hrs 1mins
I always thank the dinosaurs for a
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I seldom warm plates for just the two of us, but I almost always do when
> having guests.
>
> I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
> The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
> takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

Yes, yes, yes!!! That's exactly what my grandmother had! She even had
two of them - one was larger than the other. She wouldn't use them
often, but she always did for company and family holidays when a larger
gather of folks was to be had. Nice memories

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
something like that.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> > > I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
> > > longer.
> > > Ed

> > Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

> No. And if you can warm an empty mug in your microwave, then you
> shouldn't. It's not safe for microwaves. Sometimes I'll heat a mug in
> the microwave. I fill it with a little water and then dump the water.

That's a thought. Warm a mug full of water with the plates.

I'll sometimes boil a mug of water in the microwave for tea, or for
microwave cleaning. It steams it up really good and loosens anything
that might be in there so I can wipe it down easily with glass cleaner.

Fortunately, I rarely have to clean the microwave (except the plate
underneath for spill-overs) as both dad and are are _religious_ about
covering stuff to keep it from spattering. I have a special m-wave
plastic cover we keep in there between washings.

It does SO **** me off that lazy assholes at work won't cover their food
when re-heating! The microwaves in the break room at work are nearly
always a disgrace. I refuse to clean the damned things anymore...

I also don't use them. Last time I opened one of them, a cockroach ran
out. <shudders>

Incidentally, cockroaches survive being microwaved. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
> The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
> takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Now that sounds cool!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

> I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
> dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
> plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
> something like that.
>
> Sky

I don't have a dishwasher, but thanks. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> > >
> > > Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

> > I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
> > dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
> > plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
> > something like that.
> >
> > Sky

> I don't have a dishwasher, but thanks. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Bummer! I take it for granted that most folks have a dishwashing
machine, although I hadn't had one until about two years ago after 17+
years without one! Spouse loves it - spouse hasn't had to wash dishes
since the dishwasher was acquired!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > My grandmother used to have a heating-pad type of thing that was
> > specifically made to heat dining plates. It was convenient, and there
> > was no concern about breaking plates. That warming pad would hold many
> > plates at one time, although I forget the number (up to 16???). She'd
> > always bring out that plate-warmer when she had a 'big' meal/party for
> > family & friends, especially for the holidays.
> >
> > Sky, who misses those occasions now that grandmother is gone

> At least you have the memories... :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

Too true - and they're the bestest ;> Alas, it's only after it's too
late that one usually thinks of the questions that were never considered
prior!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

> I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
> dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
> plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
> something like that.
>
> Sky

That works, of course, but while cooking utensils and prep bowls are going
in there as used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat
> your plates?

I never ever do. It's a nice detail that never occurs to me.

Ron will put the plates on top of the stove (space permitting)
near the vents if something is cooking in the oven. Gotta
watch that, they can get way hot.

When my oven was new, I put the plates in the warming drawer,
just because I could. Truth is, I never use the warming drawer
anymore. Well, as a warming drawer, I have a couple things
in there.

> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a
> difference for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the
> oven on, put the plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes
> and turn the oven off with the plates in there. If we used the oven
> for cooking, they will warm much faster, but you have to take some
> care as they can be too hot from a 300+ degree oven.
>
> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
> longer. Ed

It's a nice touch.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Bummer! I take it for granted that most folks have a dishwashing
> machine, although I hadn't had one until about two years ago after 17+
> years without one! Spouse loves it - spouse hasn't had to wash dishes
> since the dishwasher was acquired!
>
> Sky

I actually do have a dishwasher. Me. <g>
I have a nice roomy double stainless steel sink.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > Sky > wrote:
> >
> > > My grandmother used to have a heating-pad type of thing that was
> > > specifically made to heat dining plates. It was convenient, and there
> > > was no concern about breaking plates. That warming pad would hold many
> > > plates at one time, although I forget the number (up to 16???). She'd
> > > always bring out that plate-warmer when she had a 'big' meal/party for
> > > family & friends, especially for the holidays.
> > >
> > > Sky, who misses those occasions now that grandmother is gone

> > At least you have the memories... :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Too true - and they're the bestest ;> Alas, it's only after it's too
> late that one usually thinks of the questions that were never considered
> prior!
>
> Sky

Been there, done that...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat
>> your plates?

> I never ever do. It's a nice detail that never occurs to me.
>
> Ron will put the plates on top of the stove (space permitting) near the
> vents if something is cooking in the oven. Gotta
> watch that, they can get way hot.
>
> When my oven was new, I put the plates in the warming drawer,
> just because I could. Truth is, I never use the warming drawer
> anymore. Well, as a warming drawer, I have a couple things
> in there.

Me too; I wish now I'd just opted for a standard drawer instead of a
warming one since I never use it as such and instead use it for storage
of the things I used to keep in the storage drawer of my old stove ;D

>> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a
>> difference for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the
>> oven on, put the plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes
>> and turn the oven off with the plates in there. If we used the oven
>> for cooking, they will warm much faster, but you have to take some
>> care as they can be too hot from a 300+ degree oven.
>>
>> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
>> longer. Ed

> It's a nice touch.
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat
> > your plates?

> I never ever do. �It's a nice detail that never occurs to me.
>
> Ron will put the plates on top of the stove (space permitting)
> near the vents if something is cooking in the oven. �Gotta
> watch that, they can get way hot.
>
> When my oven was new, I put the plates in the warming drawer,
> just because I could. �Truth is, I never use the warming drawer
> anymore. �Well, as a warming drawer, I have a couple things
> in there. �
>
> > We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a
> > difference for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. �I turn the
> > oven on, put the plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes
> > and turn the oven off with the plates in there. �If we used the oven
> > for cooking, they will warm much faster, but you have to take some
> > care as they can be too hot from a 300+ degree oven.

> > I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
> > longer. Ed

> It's a nice touch. �
>
> nancy

Warming a mug for tea is easy, simply pour in like an ounce of hot
water from the tea kettle and let it sit maybe 15 seconds and pour it
out. For those who have milk in tea or coffee just nuke the milk a
few seconds then pour the tea/coffee. I'm not anal about warmed
dishes, hot foods tend to warm the dish and retain enough of their own
heat... I'm more anal about cold dishes and glasses for salads/deserts
and drinks, fridge/freezer answers that. I don't think I've ever
served fried eggs to fancy guests I'd want to impress, usually just
family and close friends ever show up for breakfast... for fried eggs
I much prefer those cheapo paper plates in a paper plate holder, the
paper is a good insulator and also absorbs any excess cooking fat, and
overly warmed plates tend to further cook perfectly cooked eggs. I
use those paper plates very often (I use thousands each year), for
sandwiches and other snacks they're purrfect (I use them to feed cats
- they don't mind that I just ate a tuna-bacon sammich from it).
Using paper plates is much cleaner than regular dishes, in fact paper
plates are sterile. Most foods don't require a ceramic dish, paper
works fine for most of what folks eat. I buy them in boxes of 1,000,
typically costs $8-$9. Paper costs less than using dishes, and paper
is far greener. And before any of yoose make fun of my plebian paper
plates I use paper napkins too, and let me remind how I bet none of
yoose are using fancy schmancy linen to wipe your butts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> The message >
> from Omelet > contains these words:
>
> > In article 7>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > > I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
> > > The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
> > > takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Wayne Boatwright

> > Now that sounds cool!

> You can still buy those in the UK
>
> Janet

Might have to check UKebay.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from Omelet > contains these words:
>
>> In article 7>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>>> I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
>>> The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
>>> takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Now that sounds cool!

> You can still buy those in the UK
>
> Janet

Our gas stove has a warming drawer at the bottom. The warming drawer can
also serve as a small second oven. Works like a charm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:JihPk.9660$_n4.8581
@newsfe12.ams2:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat
>> your plates?

> I never ever do. It's a nice detail that never occurs to me.
>
> Ron will put the plates on top of the stove (space permitting)
> near the vents if something is cooking in the oven. Gotta
> watch that, they can get way hot.
>
> When my oven was new, I put the plates in the warming drawer,
> just because I could. Truth is, I never use the warming drawer
> anymore. Well, as a warming drawer, I have a couple things
> in there.
>
>> We don't do it all the time, but warming the plates makes a
>> difference for dinner or delicate foods like fried eggs. I turn the
>> oven on, put the plates in, and just let it warm for a few minutes
>> and turn the oven off with the plates in there. If we used the oven
>> for cooking, they will warm much faster, but you have to take some
>> care as they can be too hot from a 300+ degree oven.
>>
>> I'll sometimes warm a mug for tea of coffee too so it will stay warm
>> longer. Ed

> It's a nice touch.
>
> nancy

If I'm cooking say bacon, eggs and hash browns with onions...I'll fry the
hash browns and put it in the oven on warm on my plate then the bacon goes
in and after that the eggs. The bacon go in the oven next till the eggs
are done. This keeps it down to 1 pan to wash. I can never time stuff
correctly if cooking multiple things at one time and this fixes that
problem so nothing gets over cooked or burnt.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> If I'm cooking say bacon, eggs and hash browns with onions...I'll fry the
> hash browns and put it in the oven on warm on my plate then the bacon goes
> in and after that the eggs. The bacon go in the oven next till the eggs
> are done.

Growing up, that's how you fried eggs ... in bacon grease.
If you weren't making bacon that day, you used the bacon
grease you saved over from the last time.

I miss that. I need to do that soon.

> This keeps it down to 1 pan to wash. I can never time stuff
> correctly if cooking multiple things at one time and this fixes that
> problem so nothing gets over cooked or burnt.

There was a thread recently, something like what do you get
wrong all the time. I was thinking, I am notorious for forgetting
the salt, but really, I am terrible at timing things to be ready at
the same time. That's a big problem, maybe that's why I'm big
on stuff like pot roast, or mac n cheese, one pot type of meals.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Nov 2008 12:01:08a, Sky told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> I seldom warm plates for just the two of us, but I almost always do whe

>> having guests.
>>

>> I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating

> pad.
>> The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it

>> takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

> Yes, yes, yes!!! That's exactly what my grandmother had! She even had
> two of them - one was larger than the other. She wouldn't use them
> often, but she always did for company and family holidays when a larger
> gather of folks was to be had. Nice memories
>
> Sky

I think you can still buy them, Sky.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Souls Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 1dys 13hrs 30mins
Courage atrophies from lack of use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Nov 2008 06:19:28a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message >
> from Omelet > contains these words:
>
>> In article 7>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating
>> > pad. The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is
>> > switched on it takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wayne Boatwright

>> Now that sounds cool!

> You can still buy those in the UK
>
> Janet

Heh! That’s because it’s cold and damp in the UK and no central heating.
How else would you have a warm plate?

(Just joking, Janet)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Souls Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 1dys 13hrs 28mins
Useless Invention: A freezer for Eskimos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Why don't you just use an electrical glass or metal hot tray?

Even easier is to just slip them in the oven on 150-200 degrees for a
few minutes before serving time, or after it has been turned off from
use. That is all we did at home growing up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

> I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
> dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
> plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
> something like that.
>
> Sky

I've had dishwashers that have a plate warming cycle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> No, but I use linen or cotton table napkins for meals eaten at table.
> I use paper ones for parties when there's a lot of people.
> Over here, paper plates are for picnics or barbecues, maybe kids
> parties; I've never met anyone in the UK who uses them inthe home as
> their everyday dishes.

I agree. Dismal way to eat, if you ask me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote

> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
>> No, but I use linen or cotton table napkins for meals eaten at table.
>> I use paper ones for parties when there's a lot of people.
>> Over here, paper plates are for picnics or barbecues, maybe kids
>> parties; I've never met anyone in the UK who uses them inthe home as
>> their everyday dishes.

> I agree. Dismal way to eat, if you ask me.

Even for tailgating, I use those plasticized type of dishes.
Paper plates give me the creeps, same with wooden ice cream
sticks. My tender sensibilities!! (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 12:41�pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Janet Baraclough wrote:
> > � �No, but I use linen or cotton table napkins for meals eaten at table.
> > I use paper ones for parties when there's a lot of people.
> > � �Over here, paper plates are for picnics or barbecues, maybe kids
> > parties; I've never met anyone in the UK who uses them inthe home �as
> > their everyday dishes.

> I agree. Dismal way to eat, if you ask me.

Learn to read... I expressly said I use paper plates for *dry* foods
like sandwiches and such... last night I ate a burger for dinner from
a paper plate, so do billions... you trying to make folks think every
one of your meals is is all hoity toity, I don't believe you, in fact
I don't believe you do much cooking at all, you're a reheater, of
prepared frozen dinners if that much, because to date you've not once
posted a recipe of any kind, let alone one you actually made... you
have a new kitchen but it's all for show.

And in the UK they don't even have real food... all they live on is
slimely innards, watery oatmeal, and supper greezy fish n' chips
served on *used* NEWSPAPER. Oh, and they guzzle lots of foul smelling
booze. I've been to Scotland, they don't eat from dishes, they eat
from spread used newspaper for an eating surface they eat from
woodenware bowls that they rarely clean of the dried on slop they call
food... yet another mouth heard from that has never posted a meal she
actually prepared. And the Scots don't ever bathe, not from cradle to
grave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote in message

> Tea should be served with cold milk , not hot, and for the best tea
> flavour , the tea should be poured first and milk added after.

Many think the milk goes in first. In any case, it does affect the taste of
the finished drink. I prefer to use none, just a bit of sugar, or agave, or
honey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:31:31 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>> >
>> > Can the microwave be used to warm plates?

>> I just thought of another option! One other trick to heat plates up for
>> dinner would be to use the 'drying' cycle in a dishwasher. Just put the
>> plates in the dishwasher and select (or turn the dial) to "dry" --
>> something like that.
>>
>> Sky

>I don't have a dishwasher, but thanks. <g>

I use the oven.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
> > The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on it
> > takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

> Now that sounds cool!

A warmer is cool? It must be defective!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Now that the cooler weather is here, I wonder how many of you heat your
> plates?

I never heated plates, even when I had plates.
I eat from bowls these days.

I hate Mexican restaurants that put the whole plate
of food in the oven. That melts the cheese nicely,
but I hate being served food on a plate that is hot
to the touch.

There also used to be a chain of steak and burger
restaurants called Burger Pit that would serve
their food on a metal plate that was heated in
the oven. The metal plate would be served on
a wooden holder, so it could be handled by the
wooden part while hot. I used to like that place
as a kid, but I never liked the hot metal plates.
I think they went out of business over 20 years
ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Nov 2008 12:52:50p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article 7>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>> > I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating

pad.
>> > The plates are inserted in the folds. After the unit is switched on

it
>> > takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

>> Now that sounds cool!

> A warmer is cool? It must be defective!

Temperature is relative and subjective.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: All Souls Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 1dys 10hrs 48mins
A rolling stone gathers momentum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Even for tailgating, I use those plasticized type of dishes.
> Paper plates give me the creeps, same with wooden ice cream
> sticks. My tender sensibilities!! (laugh)
>
> nancy

Hey.. any doctor or nurse will tell ya you can do a lot of eating using
wood tongue blades (tongue depressors) and they're even sterile coming
out of the package! They rate MUCH higher than sad paper plates which in
my mind just make the user look lazy and the food lose appeal. IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article 7>,
> > *Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > > I have a very old “plate warmer” that resembles a 12-layer heating pad.
> > > The plates are inserted in the folds. *After the unit is switched on it
> > > takes about 15 minutes to thoroughly warm the plates.

> > Now that sounds cool!

> A warmer is cool? *It must be defective!

Nah, just spelled KEW-L without the Taysucks draaawl.

Heating costs Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 47 29-11-2011 09:46 AM
Heating Plates (some sources) Felice General Cooking 2 02-11-2008 06:40 PM
What exactly is *pre*heating? Davlo General Cooking 47 11-04-2007 07:25 PM
Heating Oil Beach Runner Vegan 5 07-08-2005 07:27 PM
Re heating a shoulder Ol' Hippie Barbecue 2 02-07-2004 12:31 AM