Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven over heating

Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
for a stove?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> for a stove?

It depends on your model. Some of them have a screw on the inside of the
adjustment knob. If you turn this screw, the knob will turn freely. Then,
on the stove, set it to what your oven thermometer says the temp really is,
then gently remove the knob and tighten the screw.

If you don't have this, put little tick marks about the knob face indicating
the correct temperatures. I think you can make due with it.

--

Yours,
Dan S.

Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran.
-Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

top posted for your leisure

maybe the oven's thermostat is covered and caked with grease
?

550? WOW

I didn't know an oven would goto that temp, cept maybe to self clean

On Jan 20, 12:12 am, wrote:
> Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> for a stove?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

call the mfg?

I bought a 240.00 coffe grinder at the thrift for 8 dollars
(it was missing the insul carafe lid, and bean grinder lid)

anyway, I called the mfg, 2 days later I had the parts in hand.
no ?'s asked

heh heh

On Jan 20, 1:40 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> wrote:
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?Contact the manufacturer of your oven to ask for advise and a manual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

btw the coffee bean grinder replacement parts the mfg sent me was free

Beta

On Jan 20, 1:40 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> wrote:
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?Contact the manufacturer of your oven to ask for advise and a manual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

beta > wrote:
>top posted for your leisure
>
>maybe the oven's thermostat is covered and caked with grease

That would cause it to react slower, but so slowly that
it allows the oven to get to 550? I don't think so.

I would do as someone else mentioned and calibrate the knob.

If the oven won't handle all temperatures from 200 to 450, then
you know it's got a problem.

Oh, and remember that the oven cycles on and off with the
thermostat, so it will overshoot your set temperature, then
undershoot it, then overshoot, then undershoot, etc.

If you have a window and can watch the temperature cycle,
aim for having the over- and undershoot center around the
temperature you want on the knob.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

beta > wrote:

>call the mfg?
>
>I bought a 240.00 coffe grinder at the thrift for 8 dollars
>(it was missing the insul carafe lid, and bean grinder lid)
>
>anyway, I called the mfg, 2 days later I had the parts in hand.
>no ?'s asked

I tried to buy a right-hand drop table for my Weber grill,
and they said "that model doesn't come with one" and I said
"I know, that's why I want to buy one and install it" and
they said "no".

So ymmv, with the mfg.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> I would do as someone else mentioned and calibrate the knob.

good idea, much simpler

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> So ymmv, with the mfg.
>
> --Blair

You remind me of McJagger, void of satisfaction
No parts no pleasure, a loooowww mileage reaction
No drop, no lean but why sit like a mourner
The grills got wheels, move it out the corner

beta

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The reason I bring this up is... I am rather new to baking in general.
I been starting off with Cakes.
Where the directions read bake at 350... for 33 min... after 15.. the
Cake is destroyed (Burnt).

I have removed the knob.. did not see anything resembling a screw.
Others have suggested that the knob was put on wrong... The knob can
only be put on one way. For anyone interested, the stove is a General
Electric... Consisting of 6 knobs, 1 for Oven mode and the other the
oven temperature.... all on a control console at the head of the stove
(Your average General Electric Stove).

I am gonna take a shot that the Thermostat could be covered in grease
and crud. I will get back with you in a few days after I do a thorough
cleaning of the oven (Not even sure where the thermostat would be).

FYI: I just put the temp knob to its warmest temperature... Gonna see
what the Thermometer reads. Will let you know the results.

On Jan 20, 12:12 am, wrote:
> Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> for a stove?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 12:40 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> wrote:
> > The reason I bring this up is... I am rather new to baking in general.
> > I been starting off with Cakes.
> > Where the directions read bake at 350... for 33 min... after 15.. the
> > Cake is destroyed (Burnt).Please don't "top post".. it annoys folks greatly.

> That out of the way...have you purchased a simple, inexpensive oven
> thermometer to test out the actual temp compared to the dial set temp?
> That would be the first thing to do to get an idea of what or where the
> problem might be.

Sorry about the 'Top Post'. I have recently purchased a Thermometer.
Thats how I got the temperture of 550 while set at 350.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 12:46 am, "Dan S."
> wrote:
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?It depends on your model. Some of them have a screw on the inside of the

> adjustment knob. If you turn this screw, the knob will turn freely. Then,
> on the stove, set it to what your oven thermometer says the temp really is,
> then gently remove the knob and tighten the screw.
>
> If you don't have this, put little tick marks about the knob face indicating
> the correct temperatures. I think you can make due with it.
>
> --
>
> Yours,
> Dan S.
>
> Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran.
> -Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Good news... Mike's idea worked. Apparently the temperature knob was
two pieces... one peice the knob itself... the 2nd peice.... the
temperture plate (Held together by 2 screws). I have adjusted the
plate to the correct temperature... and it seems to be working. I
checked it at 425 and 500... According to the Temperature gauge. It is
reading correctly now.

Thank you all so much for your idea's and insights. I was very close to
putting the stove out to the curb... and getting a new one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 12:46 am, "Dan S."
> wrote:
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?It depends on your model. Some of them have a screw on the inside of the

> adjustment knob. If you turn this screw, the knob will turn freely. Then,
> on the stove, set it to what your oven thermometer says the temp really is,
> then gently remove the knob and tighten the screw.
>
> If you don't have this, put little tick marks about the knob face indicating
> the correct temperatures. I think you can make due with it.
>
> --
>
> Yours,
> Dan S.
>
> Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran.
> -Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Good news... Dan's idea worked. Apparently the temperature knob was
two pieces... one peice the knob itself... the 2nd peice.... the
temperture plate (Held together by 2 screws). I have adjusted the
plate to the correct temperature... and it seems to be working. I
checked it at 425 and 500... According to the Temperature gauge. It is
reading correctly now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 12:46 am, "Dan S."
> wrote:
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?It depends on your model. Some of them have a screw on the inside of the

> adjustment knob. If you turn this screw, the knob will turn freely. Then,
> on the stove, set it to what your oven thermometer says the temp really is,
> then gently remove the knob and tighten the screw.
>
> If you don't have this, put little tick marks about the knob face indicating
> the correct temperatures. I think you can make due with it.
>
> --
>
> Yours,
> Dan S.
>
> Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran.
> -Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Good news... Mike's idea worked. Apparently the temperature knob was
two pieces... one peice the knob itself... the 2nd peice.... the
temperture plate (Held together by 2 screws). I have adjusted the
plate to the correct temperature... and it seems to be working. I
checked it at 425 and 500... According to the Temperature gauge. It is
reading correctly now.

Thank you all for your help. I was very close to getting a new one and
sending this one to the scrap yard:P Again, thank you all very much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 12:46 am, "Dan S."
> wrote:
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > Hi, I am new to this... but figured I'd give it a try. I recently
> > bought a used oven from a moving sale for a my new place. After several
> > attempts to bake using the oven... I went a bought an Oven thermometer
> > to gauge the actual temperature at 350F. To my amazement, I learned
> > that I have actually been cooking at a temperature difference of 200F.
> > Set at 350F, The thermometer read 550F. Now I am no handy man... and
> > know nothing of ovens.. but I have a feeling this is beyond abnormal.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem... or did I more or less buy a lemon
> > for a stove?It depends on your model. Some of them have a screw on the inside of the

> adjustment knob. If you turn this screw, the knob will turn freely. Then,
> on the stove, set it to what your oven thermometer says the temp really is,
> then gently remove the knob and tighten the screw.
>
> If you don't have this, put little tick marks about the knob face indicating
> the correct temperatures. I think you can make due with it.
>
> --
>
> Yours,
> Dan S.
>
> Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran.
> -Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Good news... Dan's idea worked. Apparently the temperature knob was
two pieces... one peice the knob itself... the 2nd peice.... the
temperture plate (Held together by 2 screws). I have adjusted the
plate to the correct temperature... and it seems to be working. I
checked it at 425 and 500... According to the Temperature gauge. It is
reading correctly now.

Thank you all for your help. I was very close to getting a new one and
sending this one to the scrap yard:P Again, thank you all very much.

Heating plates Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 54 29-11-2011 09:39 AM
What exactly is *pre*heating? Davlo General Cooking 47 11-04-2007 07:25 PM
Heating water in a microwave oven? cos Tea 13 05-12-2006 02:24 AM
Heating Oil Beach Runner Vegan 5 07-08-2005 07:27 PM
Heating Element Safe After Small Oven Fire Swann General Cooking 5 02-10-2004 05:09 AM