Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Herbs

It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

sage
oregano
rosemary
thyme
parsley
mint (several different varieties)
basil
dill*
cilantro*
leaf curry - if I can find a source for it

*I have trouble growing these but will give it a shot again. The
cilantro typically bolts.

How about you, do you grow your own herbs? (not THAT herb!)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 17, 1:29 pm, (TammyM) wrote:
> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:
> [snip list]

The thyme, Greek oregano and rosemary seem to be unkillable in my
planter beds. I grow cilantro in the cooler months, parsley whenever
it will survive, a lot of basil in the summertime to go with the
tomatoes. I've had lemon thyme but took it out when it was clear that
I rarely wanted to use it. Dill some years, especially if I'm going
to grow cukes (they just seem to like each other). -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aye, i try to grow basil (lots), cilantro, and chives. <-- they grow
like weeds! I've two pots in the backyard that are always full in the
summer time. They come back by themselves! I love em. It always seems
that i never grow enough herbs though, which is a shame. But i love
your above list. just joined the group today (As i just heard of
google groups today) and i'm lookin forward to talkin to yall
later!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> How about you, do you grow your own herbs?

Basil. We grow our own basil and freeze our own pesto. One year it was
so hot we got 2 good crops. (And other years we've gotten none and
bought it at a pick-your-own farm.)

The sage grows in the front garden when it is an attractive low-bush
sort of plant. We rarely use it, but if we ever do, we've got plenty.

Like you, I wish I could grow cilantro, but it bolts. Dill is similar
though we've had a little better luck with it. Dill, at least, is a
weed and will show up, unbolted, here and there in the garden as it
plants itself.

Parsley is another winner in this house. I love being able to walk
outside and get a few sprigs instead of figuring out how to use a whole
bunch.

Arugula is another favorite. It gets a little too bitter, even for me,
after it has flowered, but it flowers, seeds, and replants itself a few
times each season leaving me with a salad's worth of tender young leaves.

Do mesclun mixes of salad greens count as herbs? If so, put them on the
list. They're great.

I'd like to grow edible lavender but have no experience with it. You've
got me thinking that will be my challenge for this year.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> How about you, do you grow your own herbs?

In a couple of old wooden whiskey barrels by the back door:

Basil, as many kinds as our garden center sells
Oregano, Greek
Marjoram
Thyme as a perennial
Sage
Summer savory
Parsley, Italian flat leaf

I have mint, lavender, lovage, catnip and chives in various places
around the yard.

I have no luck with cilantro or rosemary although I try them every year.
It gets toohot too early here for cilantro and I overwater the rosemary.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

> TammyM wrote:
>>
>> How about you, do you grow your own herbs?

Herbs are available year-round in Southern Arizona.

We've got oregano, dill, and thyme.

Gotta re-seed basil in the springtime. ( March 1 )
Adding Italian parsley, and Rosemary this year.

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(TammyM) wrote:

> How about you, do you grow your own herbs? (not THAT herb!)

We surely do. Fresh herbs cut right from the garden are one of the
pleasures of cooking. My husband usually plants a few herbs out in
the larger gardens but I have a kitchen garden especially for my herbs.
In it I have several kinds of thyme including t. vulgaris but my
favorite is lime thyme. We have 3 or 4 kinds of sage including standard
and Clary sage which has a whorl of very wide, fuzzy leaves. It's a
beautiful plant. I also have a very roundy-leaved sage plant but, alas,
I cannot recall the cultivar off hand. I hope I have a nice sage crop
this year since my stash of dried is all gone.

We always plant 4 or 5 varieties of basil since at least two of them may
fail due to weather conditions. But my Thai basil, which I get from
Pinetree, always does well here and I find it best for culinary use with
the kind of cooking I do. I usually have 5 or 6 pots of Thai basil on
the deck too. For lavender, I use the Lavender Lady cultivar which
grows very well here and manages (usually) to survive over the winter.
I get two nice crops from it most years. For mints, I usually only do
lemon balm or maybe some spearmint. I only do them in pots since they
are such naughty creepers.

I've done rosemary in pots but it seems to do much better planted out.
There's also lovage (though I rarely use it), tarragon, chervil, dill,
fennel, marjoram, oregano, annual savory, feverfew, German camomile,
several types of chives, a non-culinary curry plant and 6 or 7 types of
garlic which we originally procured from Filaree which has fantastic
garlic. Alas, I cannot get nasturtiums to grow here and would love to
find a heat tolerant cultivar if anyone knows of one. Same goes for
cilantro. We grow tons of Italian parsley since the deer and ground
hogs seem to leave us so little. Wicked beasts. Oh and there's
horseradish too. One can never have too many herbs.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In the garden we have two types of parsley, various mints, rosemary,
sage and tarragon. In pots ; various thymes and more parsley.

I have managed to keep some basil going in a pot on the kitchen
windowsill over the winter this year.

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> TammyM wrote:
>
>> How about you, do you grow your own herbs?

> Basil. We grow our own basil and freeze our own pesto. One year it was
> so hot we got 2 good crops. (And other years we've gotten none and
> bought it at a pick-your-own farm.)
>

> The sage grows in the front garden when it is an attractive low-bush
> sort of plant. We rarely use it, but if we ever do, we've got plenty.
>

> Like you, I wish I could grow cilantro, but it bolts. Dill is similar
> though we've had a little better luck with it. Dill, at least, is a
> weed and will show up, unbolted, here and there in the garden as it
> plants itself.
>

> Parsley is another winner in this house. I love being able to walk
> outside and get a few sprigs instead of figuring out how to use a whole
> bunch.
>

> Arugula is another favorite. It gets a little too bitter, even for me,
> after it has flowered, but it flowers, seeds, and replants itself a few
> times each season leaving me with a salad's worth of tender young leaves.
>

> Do mesclun mixes of salad greens count as herbs? If so, put them on the
> list. They're great.
>

> I'd like to grow edible lavender but have no experience with it. You've
> got me thinking that will be my challenge for this year.
>

> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

snip
> TammyM

I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will get
bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little onions
or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:57:26 -0700, "Janet B." >
wrote:

>"TammyM" > wrote in message
>> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
>> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
>> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
>> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

>snip
>> TammyM
>>

>I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
>recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
>perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will get
>bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
>thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
>onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
>little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little onions
>or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
>become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
>square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.

Sounds intriguing. I realize you said you contain them in a
particular area -- I'm wondering how aggressive they are if not
contained?

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:57:26 -0700, "Janet B." >
> wrote:
>

>>"TammyM" > wrote in message
>>> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
>>> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
>>> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
>>> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

>>snip
>>> TammyM
>>>

>>I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
>>recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
>>perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will
>>get
>>bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
>>thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
>>onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
>>little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little
>>onions
>>or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
>>become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
>>square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.

> Sounds intriguing. I realize you said you contain them in a
> particular area -- I'm wondering how aggressive they are if not
> contained?
>
> TammyM

Not very. The bulblets fall near the main plant. And it's not like you get
a green haze of seedlings like you do with oregano. When they come up, the
plants are fairly large and sparse on the ground and easy to pick or kick
out. They are called Walking onions because if you allow them to over time
they will walk to a new spot. Another name they go by is Egyptian onions.
I wouldn't recommend planting them or any self-seeding herb at the top of a
hilly space where you don't have ready access to the bottom. Been there and
done that. You may not be able to get to the bottom but all the seeds fall
down hill and sprout up a storm.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anyone know of a supplier of "Walking Onion" seeds in the UK ? Have had
a quick Google but didn't find any

Janet B. wrote:
> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:57:26 -0700, "Janet B." >
>> wrote:

>>> snip
>>>>
>>> I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
>>> recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
>>> perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will
>>> get
>>> bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
>>> thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
>>> onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
>>> little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little
>>> onions
>>> or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
>>> become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
>>> square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.

>> Sounds intriguing. I realize you said you contain them in a
>> particular area -- I'm wondering how aggressive they are if not
>> contained?
>>
>> TammyM

> Not very. The bulblets fall near the main plant. And it's not like you get
> a green haze of seedlings like you do with oregano. When they come up, the
> plants are fairly large and sparse on the ground and easy to pick or kick
> out. They are called Walking onions because if you allow them to over time
> they will walk to a new spot. Another name they go by is Egyptian onions.
> I wouldn't recommend planting them or any self-seeding herb at the top of a
> hilly space where you don't have ready access to the bottom. Been there and
> done that. You may not be able to get to the bottom but all the seeds fall
> down hill and sprout up a storm.
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet B." > wrote:

> "TammyM" > wrote in message
> > It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> > herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> > The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> > usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

> snip
> > TammyM
> >

> I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
> recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
> perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will get
> bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
> thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
> onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
> little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little onions
> or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
> become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
> square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.
> Janet

Oh those do sound interesting and yummy. I'm so glad you mentioned
them. Thanks!

When the garlic starts to form its little bulbils, I trim them off and
use what I can in stir fries and other things. I had so many last year
that I could not use them all fast enough. Maybe I should chop and
freeze them. Anyone else doing that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I also grow mexican oregano and dittany of crete.

Oh gosh, I haven't had Dittany for some years. What a beautiful,
endearing plant. I'll have to look for it; thanks for the reminder!

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message
> Anyone know of a supplier of "Walking Onion" seeds in the UK ? Have had a
> quick Google but didn't find any

Try Allium cepa or Top Setting Onions or Egyptian Onions or Walking Onions.
Nice little article and pictures here
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/allcepa.htm

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message

> "Steve Y" > wrote in message
>> Anyone know of a supplier of "Walking Onion" seeds in the UK ? Have had a
>> quick Google but didn't find any
>>

> Try Allium cepa or Top Setting Onions or Egyptian Onions or Walking
> Onions. Nice little article and pictures here
> http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/allcepa.htm
>
> Janet

Another link with growing instructions and photos.
http://sandradodd.com/onions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(TammyM) wrote:

> >> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> >> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> >> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> >> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:
> >>
> >> sage
> >> oregano
> >> rosemary
> >> thyme
> >> parsley
> >> mint (several different varieties)
> >> basil
> >> dill*
> >> cilantro*
> >> leaf curry - if I can find a source for it
> >>
> >> *I have trouble growing these but will give it a shot again. The
> >> cilantro typically bolts.
> >>
> >> How about you, do you grow your own herbs? (not THAT herb!)
> >>
> >> TammyM

> >Yes, I do... and I'd add Tarragon to that list, and curry if I can fine
> >one. :-) I also grow mexican oregano and dittany of crete. I prefer both
> >of those to regular oregano.

> I detest tarragon so that will *never* be grown at Chez Tammy! I'd
> forgotten about dittany, good suggestion. And I also grow chives,
> forgot to add that to my list (my memory is just miserable these
> days!!)
>
> TammyM

Don't feel bad... :-)

I have chives too! They re-seed themselves heavily every year.

One other would be Fennel to feed the baby swallowtails.
It helps keep them off the dill and parsley. Or just grow extra parsley
for them. <G>

That is one caterpillar I let "have it's way" with my herbs except for
my dill. I just move the critters.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I also grow mexican oregano and dittany of crete.

> Oh gosh, I haven't had Dittany for some years. What a beautiful,
> endearing plant. I'll have to look for it; thanks for the reminder!
>
> Emma

Welcome! :-)

I have two patches of it... It throws LOTS of lavender blossom stalks
every year so it's decorative as well. I find it to be slightly sweeter
than regular Oregano.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> One other would be Fennel to feed the baby swallowtails.
> It helps keep them off the dill and parsley. Or just grow extra parsley
> for them. <G>
>
> That is one caterpillar I let "have it's way" with my herbs except for
> my dill. I just move the critters.

Gosh isn't that the truth! I get those all over my dill as well but I
did not realize they were so universally attracted to dill. For some
reason, I don't get them on my various parsleys. Beautiful black &
yellow striped creatures. Lots prettier than tomato hornworms....

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > One other would be Fennel to feed the baby swallowtails.
> > It helps keep them off the dill and parsley. Or just grow extra parsley
> > for them. <G>
> >
> > That is one caterpillar I let "have it's way" with my herbs except for
> > my dill. I just move the critters.

> Gosh isn't that the truth! I get those all over my dill as well but I
> did not realize they were so universally attracted to dill. For some
> reason, I don't get them on my various parsleys. Beautiful black &
> yellow striped creatures. Lots prettier than tomato hornworms....
>
> Emma

I use too much dill to let them get away with eating it. :-)
Many people plant extra parsley so they can move them.

Those are such beautiful butterflies!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello TammyM,

Have you ever thought about growing watercress?
Do you know something about it please?
Where are you from? I need to find out what watercress is in Maltese?

If you can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

George
TammyM wrote:
> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:
>
> sage
> oregano
> rosemary
> thyme
> parsley
> mint (several different varieties)
> basil
> dill*
> cilantro*
> leaf curry - if I can find a source for it
>
> *I have trouble growing these but will give it a shot again. The
> cilantro typically bolts.
>
> How about you, do you grow your own herbs? (not THAT herb!)
>
> TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a fairly large herb garden for both culinary and medicinal
(topical) purposes. I grow parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme,
summer savory, marjoram, sage, peppermint, spearmint, dill, oregano,
chives, garlic chives, basil, etc.

For my home made hand creams I grow calendula and comfrey.

I also grow yarrow, bee balm, catnip, and catmint, for the yard bugs and
critters. (My yard is a registered wildlife habitat).

I grow pennyroyal for repelling ants in and around the kitchen.

In the spring I place fresh assorted herbs in a gallon jar full of white
wine vinegar and set in the sun for a few weeks to flavor. It makes an
incredible tasting vinegar that I use in many recipes. A gallon lasts a
long time.

Using onion powder as a base, I place dried oregano, chives, rosemary,
lemon thyme, garlic powder, etc in a spice mill and grind until powdered
for use instead of salt in both cooking and on the table.

I'm getting Spring fever just thinking about gardening. I'm sure there
are a lot more herbs buried under the snow that I can't think of at the
moment.

Denise in NH (-14 below zero wind chill)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:27:45 -0600, Emma Thackery >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> One other would be Fennel to feed the baby swallowtails.
>> It helps keep them off the dill and parsley. Or just grow extra parsley
>> for them. <G>
>>
>> That is one caterpillar I let "have it's way" with my herbs except for
>> my dill. I just move the critters.

>Gosh isn't that the truth! I get those all over my dill as well but I
>did not realize they were so universally attracted to dill. For some
>reason, I don't get them on my various parsleys. Beautiful black &
>yellow striped creatures. Lots prettier than tomato hornworms....

Tomato hornworms give me the creeps! Is there any organic way, other
than plucking them off <shudder> of keeping them off tomato plants? I
guess I should take this to rec.gardening but it is sort of food
related....

AS an appeasement to the OT god/desses, I offer:

ObFood:
Stuffed Green Peppers, Eggplants, and Tomatoes
Dolmeh-ye felfel sabz-o bademjan-o gojeh farangi
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 20 minutes

2 eggplants or pattypan squash
2 green bell peppers
4 large tomatoes
1/4 cup rice
1/4 cup yellow split peas
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound ground beef, lamb, or veal
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped chives or scallions
1 cup chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried
1 cup chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried
21/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon advieh (Persian spice mix)*
1 cup tomato juice
1/3 cup lime juice or vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Slice off the tops of the eggplants or pattypan squash and set
aside. Slice off the bottoms so the eggplants or squash can stand on
their own. Hollow them out, using the point of a knife or a melon
baller, leaving a shell about 3/4 inch thick, and discard the flesh.
Sprinkle the shells with 1 tablespoon salt and place in a colander to
drain for 20 minutes.
3. Cut off the tops of the green peppers 1/2-inch from the stem and
set them aside. Blanch peppers for 5 minutes in boiling water. Rinse
in cold water and drain.
4. Remove stems from tomatoes. Cut a slice off the tops and set aside.
Scoop out tomato pulp using a melon baller and reserve.
5. Cook rice and split peas together for 30 minutes in 2 cups water
and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drain.
6. Rinse eggplants or squash and pat dry. Brown on all sides in 3 or 4
tablespoons hot oil, adding more oil if necessary. Set aside.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick skillet and sauté onion and
meat. Stir in tomato paste.
8. In a large bowl, combine meat, rice and split peas, and the chopped
herbs. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2
teaspoon advieh. Mix thoroughly.
9. Fill eggplants, tomatoes, and green peppers with stuffing. Replace
their tops.
10. Place the stuffed eggplants and peppers side by side in an
ovenproof dish, leaving room for the tomatoes, which do not need to
cook as long. Pour tomato juice around the vegetables. Cover and bake
in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
11. Combine the reserved tomato pulp, 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice or
vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt and saffron water. Mix well
and bring to a boil.
12. Remove the dish from the oven, uncover, and add the stuffed
tomatoes. Pour the tomato-pulp mixture around the stuffed vegetables,
cover, and return to oven. Bake for 45 minutes longer or more until
tender.
13. When the vegetables are done, taste the sauce and correct
seasoning according to taste. Add more lime juice, sugar, or salt.
Serve in baking dish or arrange on a platter. Serve with bread and
yogurt. Nush-e Jan!

Variation: Whole peeled, cored onions are also excellent for stuffing.
Core and use a melon baller to dig circular sections out of the onion
to form a shell. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute and drain before
stuffing. Bake about 1 1/2 hours at 375°F in a baking pan along with
the sauce as directed for other stuffing.

Note: If using dried herbs, place a sieve in a bowl of lukewarm water
and soak the dried herbs for 20 minutes. Remove the sieve from the
bowl and use the herbs.

Advieh (Persian Spice Mix)

2 Tablespoons rose petals
2 Tablespoons cardamom
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon cumin

Grind all together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2007 04:00:42 -0800, "Legionaire" >
wrote:

>Hello TammyM,
>
>Have you ever thought about growing watercress?
>Do you know something about it please?
>Where are you from? I need to find out what watercress is in Maltese?
>
>If you can help me, it would be very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>George

<snip>

George,
I live in Sacramento, California, and have not grown watercress. I'm
sure if you take your question to rec.gardening, you will find lots of
good advice and information.

Good luck!
TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:10:40 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> (TammyM) wrote:
>
>> Tomato hornworms give me the creeps! Is there any organic way, other
>> than plucking them off <shudder> of keeping them off tomato plants?

>BT.
>
>Bacillus thurigensis.
>
>Many sources can be googled. I can get it locally and I plan to treat my
>poor Passion vines with it next year. They were decimated last year and
>never did bloom.

http://www.burlingtongardens.org/organic1.htm

You are wonderful :-) We grew tomatoes last year and got quite a few.
But the first hornworm sighting put me off my food. Housemate was
fascinated by it but not enough to harvest the tomatoes. That little
feller had himself quite a feast.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(TammyM) wrote:

> >> Tomato hornworms give me the creeps! Is there any organic way, other
> >> than plucking them off <shudder> of keeping them off tomato plants?

> >BT.
> >
> >Bacillus thurigensis.
> >
> >Many sources can be googled. I can get it locally and I plan to treat my
> >poor Passion vines with it next year. They were decimated last year and
> >never did bloom.

http://www.burlingtongardens.org/organic1.htm

> You are wonderful :-) We grew tomatoes last year and got quite a few.
> But the first hornworm sighting put me off my food. Housemate was
> fascinated by it but not enough to harvest the tomatoes. That little
> feller had himself quite a feast.
>
> TammyM

I'll bet!

2 or 3 hornworms can decimate a large tomato plant in just a couple of
days.

The chickens loved them tho' <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Feb 19, 7:46 am, (TammyM) wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2007 04:00:42 -0800, "Legionaire" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hello TammyM,

> >Have you ever thought about growing watercress?
> >Do you know something about it please?
> >Where are you from? I need to find out what watercress is in Maltese?

> >If you can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

> >Thanks

> >George

> <snip>
>
> George,
> I live in Sacramento, California, and have not grown watercress. I'm
> sure if you take your question to rec.gardening, you will find lots of
> good advice and information.
>
> Good luck!
> TammyM

Sacramento? We have the same climate then. can you read my post on
basil question and help me out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Feb 19, 10:12 am, "mm" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 7:46 am, (TammyM) wrote:
>

> > On 19 Feb 2007 04:00:42 -0800, "Legionaire" >
> > wrote:

> > >Hello TammyM,

> > >Have you ever thought about growing watercress?
> > >Do you know something about it please?
> > >Where are you from? I need to find out what watercress is in Maltese?

> > >If you can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

> > >Thanks

> > >George

> > <snip>

> > George,
> > I live in Sacramento, California, and have not grown watercress. I'm
> > sure if you take your question to rec.gardening, you will find lots of
> > good advice and information.

> > Good luck!
> > TammyM

> Sacramento? We have the same climate then. can you read my post on
> basil question and help me out?

Don't knwo what happened to my post on basil? My question was about
growing in a pot on kitchen wondowsills year round. Does it require a
lot of care?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2007 10:14:20 -0800, "mm" > wrote:

>On Feb 19, 10:12 am, "mm" > wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 7:46 am, (TammyM) wrote:

>> > <snip>

>> > George,
>> > I live in Sacramento, California, and have not grown watercress. I'm
>> > sure if you take your question to rec.gardening, you will find lots of
>> > good advice and information.

>> > Good luck!
>> > TammyM

>> Sacramento? We have the same climate then. can you read my post on
>> basil question and help me out?

>Don't knwo what happened to my post on basil? My question was about
>growing in a pot on kitchen wondowsills year round. Does it require a
>lot of care?

You know, I've never tried to do that. But I"m not much of a
gardener, I mostly dabble in herbs for my cooking. We can start basil
very early in the season here, in fact, I should start a few seedlings
now as I'll be able to plant them in a couple of weeks. You could
always try one of those rather expensive hydroponic indoor greenhousey
kinds of things. Like this one:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/walk.multi.|pg_nav,asp

Keep in mind, the seed pods appear to be proprietary in nature. I was
intrigued, but not enough so to shell out that kind of dosh AND be a
slave to their seed pods!

Check on rec.gardening for far better info than this.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I use too much dill to let them get away with eating it. :-)
> Many people plant extra parsley so they can move them.

Usually, the wild turkeys head straight for the dill and parsley in my
kitchen garden when they visit our property. I am supposing the
caterpillars are a gourmet treat for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I still have a pot of basil on our windowsill from last year. It was
shop bought but has survived being in a NE facing window in a room that
will have gone from -2/3 C to +20C depending on time of day, outside
temp and whether or not the woodburner has been going. It is still
growing nice leaves. All we have done is to water it every 3rd or 4th
day and to pick off the flowers.

Steve

mm wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:12 am, "mm" > wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 7:46 am, (TammyM) wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>> George,
>>> I live in Sacramento, California, and have not grown watercress. I'm
>>> sure if you take your question to rec.gardening, you will find lots of
>>> good advice and information.
>>> Good luck!
>>> TammyM

>> Sacramento? We have the same climate then. can you read my post on
>> basil question and help me out?

> Don't knwo what happened to my post on basil? My question was about
> growing in a pot on kitchen wondowsills year round. Does it require a
> lot of care?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Feb 19, 11:53 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> I still have a pot of basil on our windowsill from last year. It was
> shop bought but has survived being in a NE facing window in a room that
> will have gone from -2/3 C to +20C depending on time of day, outside
> temp and whether or not the woodburner has been going. It is still
> growing nice leaves. All we have done is to water it every 3rd or 4th
> day and to pick off the flowers.
>
> Steve

So you bought the plant? I don't think I can get the plant here unless
I go to special places. I am not into gardening and wouldn't eve know
where to go. Can I buy it online?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mm" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Feb 19, 11:53 am, Steve Y > wrote:
>> I still have a pot of basil on our windowsill from last year. It was
>> shop bought but has survived being in a NE facing window in a room that
>> will have gone from -2/3 C to +20C depending on time of day, outside
>> temp and whether or not the woodburner has been going. It is still
>> growing nice leaves. All we have done is to water it every 3rd or 4th
>> day and to pick off the flowers.
>>
>> Steve

> So you bought the plant? I don't think I can get the plant here unless
> I go to special places. I am not into gardening and wouldn't eve know
> where to go. Can I buy it online?

Buy the basil seeds. There are a dozen or more enticing types to choose
from. It's easy to start from seed and the seeds are inexpensive.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Feb 19, 7:00 pm, "Janet B." > wrote:
> "mm" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...> On Feb 19, 11:53 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> >> I still have a pot of basil on our windowsill from last year. It was
> >> shop bought but has survived being in a NE facing window in a room that
> >> will have gone from -2/3 C to +20C depending on time of day, outside
> >> temp and whether or not the woodburner has been going. It is still
> >> growing nice leaves. All we have done is to water it every 3rd or 4th
> >> day and to pick off the flowers.

> >> Steve

> > So you bought the plant? I don't think I can get the plant here unless
> > I go to special places. I am not into gardening and wouldn't eve know
> > where to go. Can I buy it online?

> Buy the basil seeds. There are a dozen or more enticing types to choose
> from. It's easy to start from seed and the seeds are inexpensive.
> Janet

I had done that once in the city I was living before. At the time, I
didn't know enough to use in cooking. It was my first time ever gowing
a plant.

In this city, I haven't come across the seeds I want: Thai Basil.

I'll try to get a hold of the seeds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mm" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 19, 7:00 pm, "Janet B." > wrote:
>> "mm" > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...> On Feb 19,

>> > So you bought the plant? I don't think I can get the plant here unless
>> > I go to special places. I am not into gardening and wouldn't eve know
>> > where to go. Can I buy it online?

>> Buy the basil seeds. There are a dozen or more enticing types to choose
>> from. It's easy to start from seed and the seeds are inexpensive.
>> Janet

> I had done that once in the city I was living before. At the time, I
> didn't know enough to use in cooking. It was my first time ever gowing
> a plant.
>
> In this city, I haven't come across the seeds I want: Thai Basil.
>
> I'll try to get a hold of the seeds.

This is what the rest of us do.
http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/
http://www.burpee.com/
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...mainPage=page1

What Are These Herbs? Mark Thorson General Cooking 12 17-06-2008 06:31 AM
herbs elaine General Cooking 54 19-09-2007 08:11 PM
Herbs Sam D. General Cooking 12 04-02-2005 08:25 PM
Herbs loraine General Cooking 3 14-01-2005 10:28 PM
Herbs. Help please. The Joneses Preserving 1 03-10-2003 12:09 AM