Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet B. Janet B. is offline

Default Herbs

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> It's so spring-like today, I'm motivated to start thinking about my
> herb garden. My sage, oregano, rosemary and lavendar grow year-round.
> The thyme bit the dust last year. I'm curious what other folks
> usually grow, herb-wise? My list, including the above is:

snip
> TammyM

I grow the herbs you've mentioned. But there is something I would like to
recommend . . . it's not an herb but lovely to have. Walking Onions are a
perennial. The main bulb stays in the ground from year to year and will get
bigger and develop off-shoots. The top comes up green and is the first
thing up in the spring. I use these as substitutes for scallions or green
onions. As the temperatures get warmer, the tops "go to seed." That is,
little onion bulbs develop on the tops. You may use these as little onions
or allow them to develop. The stalks will fall over and the tiny bulbs
become self planting. I am able to contain the plants within a 3-foot
square area. You will get another crop of green tops again in the Fall.
Janet