Sam D.

Default Herbs

"loraine" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where

to keep
> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.

Way too much info to type here.

Try this:
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/herbs/ne208hrb.htm

.... or go the Google and type Growing Herbs.

Chef R. W. Miller

http://www.herbkits.com/

http://elspeth_stormdancer.tripod.co...wingherbs.html

"loraine" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where to keep
> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.
>
> Ta

Dave Smith

loraine wrote:

> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where to keep
> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.

I am not much of a gardener, but I keep a section of my garden for herbs. I
grow oregano, basil, purple ruffled basil, dill weed, cilantro, rosemary,
thyme and parsley. I have some mint too, but I keep that in a container away
from the rest of the herbs because it goes wild and started popping up
everywhere. The purple ruffled basil needs a lot of bright sunlight.
Everything seems to do well in the sandy loam.

Grismalkin

>> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where to keep
>> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.

>I am not much of a gardener, but I keep a section of my garden for herbs. I
>grow oregano, basil, purple ruffled basil, dill weed, cilantro, rosemary,
>thyme and parsley. I have some mint too, but I keep that in a container away
>from the rest of the herbs because it goes wild and started popping up
>everywhere. The purple ruffled basil needs a lot of bright sunlight.
>Everything seems to do well in the sandy loam.

Hello

I can only seem to grow some perennial herbs here. My basil and cilantro never
seem to yield enough before they go to seed. Also, the rosemary and pineapple
sage lasted for one Colorado winter and not the next.

Most herbs seem to like lots of sun, which I don't get much of in my backyard.
So, I planted some on a narrow strip on the south side of the house that is
partially-shaded by a larger house and tall fence. My first mistake was
planting Russian tarragon. It is a monster and has no useful purpose. The
French tarragon is doing well. Also, the thyme and lemon thyme - I was able to
pick some thyme recently for a bouquet garni. The soil is not that great on
this side of the house. In some places, it's hard as a rock. This is a dry
area and I sometimes have to water the
plants, especially baby plants. When I first moved here the dill was growing
and re-seeded, but I have had no luck with planting new dill seeds. I will try
again this spring.

Good Luck!
Julian9EHP

The voice of experience: get your soil tested before you plant anything. Mine
turned out to be full of lead.

E. P.

WardNA

>get your soil tested before you plant anything. Mine
>turned out to be full of lead.

Shouldn't matter: the lead isn't absorbed by the plant. If it were, no urban
garden would be sound.
Doug Kanter

"Grismalkin" > wrote in message
>>> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where to
>>> keep
>>> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.

>>I am not much of a gardener, but I keep a section of my garden for herbs.
>>grow oregano, basil, purple ruffled basil, dill weed, cilantro, rosemary,
>>thyme and parsley. I have some mint too, but I keep that in a container
>>away
>>from the rest of the herbs because it goes wild and started popping up
>>everywhere. The purple ruffled basil needs a lot of bright sunlight.
>>Everything seems to do well in the sandy loam.
>>

> Hello
>
> I can only seem to grow some perennial herbs here. My basil and cilantro
> never
> seem to yield enough before they go to seed. Also, the rosemary and
> pineapple
> sage lasted for one Colorado winter and not the next.
>
> Most herbs seem to like lots of sun, which I don't get much of in my
> backyard.
> So, I planted some on a narrow strip on the south side of the house that
> is
> partially-shaded by a larger house and tall fence. My first mistake was
> planting Russian tarragon. It is a monster and has no useful purpose.
> The
> French tarragon is doing well. Also, the thyme and lemon thyme - I was
> able to
> pick some thyme recently for a bouquet garni. The soil is not that great
> on
> this side of the house. In some places, it's hard as a rock. This is a
> dry
> area and I sometimes have to water the
> plants, especially baby plants. When I first moved here the dill was
> growing
> and re-seeded, but I have had no luck with planting new dill seeds. I
> will try
> again this spring.
>
> Good Luck!

Rosemary is native to an environment that never includes anything like
Colorado winters. Grow it in a huge pot and bring it indoors in winter.
It'll be a struggle to keep it happy until spring, but it can be done.

Katra

In article >,
(Julian9EHP) wrote:

> The voice of experience: get your soil tested before you plant anything. Mine
> turned out to be full of lead.
>

> E. P.

Hmmmm... Might be able to help.

Maybe.

Go to this website and call the people there in the morning:

http://fungi.com/

I've read Stammets's book on mushroom cultivation.
Turns out that many mushrooms, including culinary mushrooms,
are a natural, biological soil "cleaner".

There might be a species, maybe the king stropharia, that you
can cultivate in that soil to absorb and clean out the lead.

I'm serious.

In one spot that they covered in his book, they had planted
a type of oyster mushroom in some diesel fuel contaminated soil.
I imagine they had to mix wood shavings with it for the mushrooms
to eat, but the mushrooms literally cleaned the soil.

It was very enlightening and amazing!

If you call them, they might be able to recommend something to you,
and their mushroom cultivation stuff is quite reasonably priced.

How did your soil get lead in it????????

Would it be possible for you to build raised garden beds with
heavy landscaping plastic under them to prevent the lead from
leaching up from the ground?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Scotty

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >get your soil tested before you plant anything. Mine
>>turned out to be full of lead.

> Shouldn't matter: the lead isn't absorbed by the plant. If it were, no
> urban
> garden would be sound.

I think you might want to revisit basic high school chemistry lessons. Any
water soluble salt of lead or any other heavy metal, or any other metal of
any kind, can be absorbed by plants.

Scott.

The Joneses

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Rosemary is native to an environment that never includes anything like
> Colorado winters. Grow it in a huge pot and bring it indoors in winter.
> It'll be a struggle to keep it happy until spring, but it can be done.

Here in West Taxes, it probably is more like rosemary's natural habitat. We
only get a little winter. My sturdy rosemary bush in my urban garden is in
full bloom bloom bloom. Get the picture? Now imagine it full of bees - my
garden humming in January.
We may get a snowflake over the weekend - film at 11:00.
Edrena

Doug Kanter

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >get your soil tested before you plant anything. Mine
>>turned out to be full of lead.

> Shouldn't matter: the lead isn't absorbed by the plant. If it were, no
> urban
> garden would be sound.

Actually, not true.

What Are These Herbs? Mark Thorson General Cooking 12 17-06-2008 06:31 AM
herbs elaine General Cooking 54 19-09-2007 08:11 PM
Herbs TammyM[_1_] General Cooking 40 20-02-2007 07:53 PM
Herbs loraine General Cooking 3 14-01-2005 10:28 PM
Herbs. Help please. The Joneses Preserving 1 03-10-2003 12:09 AM