Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Herbs

TammyM wrote:

> How about you, do you grow your own herbs?

Basil. We grow our own basil and freeze our own pesto. One year it was
so hot we got 2 good crops. (And other years we've gotten none and
bought it at a pick-your-own farm.)

The sage grows in the front garden when it is an attractive low-bush
sort of plant. We rarely use it, but if we ever do, we've got plenty.

Like you, I wish I could grow cilantro, but it bolts. Dill is similar
though we've had a little better luck with it. Dill, at least, is a
weed and will show up, unbolted, here and there in the garden as it
plants itself.

Parsley is another winner in this house. I love being able to walk
outside and get a few sprigs instead of figuring out how to use a whole
bunch.

Arugula is another favorite. It gets a little too bitter, even for me,
after it has flowered, but it flowers, seeds, and replants itself a few
times each season leaving me with a salad's worth of tender young leaves.

Do mesclun mixes of salad greens count as herbs? If so, put them on the
list. They're great.

I'd like to grow edible lavender but have no experience with it. You've
got me thinking that will be my challenge for this year.

--Lia