Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default HOT! pan, cold oil ...not a myth

I recall recently seeing a claim that old saw, "hot pan, cold oil",
was just so much hype. Not true. I, myself, had never really paid
it too much attention. Sure, I've always heated up my pan before
adding any oil, but it never seemed to make that much difference.

Well, I had a revelation the other day. I left the pan on too high a
heat before adding the oil and when I did, it went to barely smoking
almost instantly. I picked the pan up off the burner and real quick
added some potatoes O'Brien to suck off some of the heat and bring
down the oil temp. It worked and the smoking stopped and I put the
pan back on the turned-down burner to finish frying. Guess what.
Those hash browns slid around in that pan like it was brand new
Teflon. I could shake them, toss 'em, and pretty much do whatever
with hardly a piece of stuck or burnt potato. I didn't touch my
spatula again for the rest of the cook.

Here's the kicker. This is a stainless steel skillet. We all know
how bad everything sticks to SS. No more. I've been experimenting
and now I'm sold. Potatoes, chicken breasts, cube steaks, etc. Man,
nothing sticks and because of it, cleanup is also a snap. Also,
because it doesn't stick, I need even less oil.

So, there ya go. Get that pan HOT HOT!!. Not just some kinda
piddling warm hot. Not just a visible shimmer across the placid
surface of the oil hot. You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
crawl outta the pan hot! Just before it starts smoking. Or, maybe
just as it starts smoking. Toss in the food and let the food take
the heat then turn it down to an appropriate cooking temp. Try it.
It really works.

BTW, bring your ice skates. They've opened the rink in Hell, again.
Sheltie was right. :\

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 1:40 pm, notbob > wrote:
> I recall recently seeing a claim that old saw, "hot pan, cold oil",
> was just so much hype. Not true. I, myself, had never really paid
> it too much attention. Sure, I've always heated up my pan before
> adding any oil, but it never seemed to make that much difference.
>
> Well, I had a revelation the other day. I left the pan on too high a
> heat before adding the oil and when I did, it went to barely smoking
> almost instantly. I picked the pan up off the burner and real quick
> added some potatoes O'Brien to suck off some of the heat and bring
> down the oil temp. It worked and the smoking stopped and I put the
> pan back on the turned-down burner to finish frying. Guess what.
> Those hash browns slid around in that pan like it was brand new
> Teflon. I could shake them, toss 'em, and pretty much do whatever
> with hardly a piece of stuck or burnt potato. I didn't touch my
> spatula again for the rest of the cook.
>
> Here's the kicker. This is a stainless steel skillet. We all know
> how bad everything sticks to SS. No more. I've been experimenting
> and now I'm sold. Potatoes, chicken breasts, cube steaks, etc. Man,
> nothing sticks and because of it, cleanup is also a snap. Also,
> because it doesn't stick, I need even less oil.
>
> So, there ya go. Get that pan HOT HOT!!. Not just some kinda
> piddling warm hot. Not just a visible shimmer across the placid
> surface of the oil hot. You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
> crawl outta the pan hot! Just before it starts smoking. Or, maybe
> just as it starts smoking. Toss in the food and let the food take
> the heat then turn it down to an appropriate cooking temp. Try it.
> It really works.
>
> BTW, bring your ice skates. They've opened the rink in Hell, again.
> Sheltie was right. :\
>
> nb

I apologize if this shows up twice:

Dude, you're late to the party. ;-) Many of us have known this ever
since the Frugal Gourmet pounded it into our heads: "Hot pan, cold
oil, meat don't [sic] stick." It was one of his favorite sayings. I
don't know how anyone could argue with it - it's easy to prove it
works.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I recall recently seeing a claim that old saw, "hot pan, cold oil",
> was just so much hype. Not true. I, myself, had never really paid
> it too much attention. Sure, I've always heated up my pan before
> adding any oil, but it never seemed to make that much difference.
>
> Well, I had a revelation the other day. I left the pan on too high a
> heat before adding the oil and when I did, it went to barely smoking
> almost instantly. I picked the pan up off the burner and real quick
> added some potatoes O'Brien to suck off some of the heat and bring
> down the oil temp. It worked and the smoking stopped and I put the
> pan back on the turned-down burner to finish frying. Guess what.
> Those hash browns slid around in that pan like it was brand new
> Teflon. I could shake them, toss 'em, and pretty much do whatever
> with hardly a piece of stuck or burnt potato. I didn't touch my
> spatula again for the rest of the cook.
>
> Here's the kicker. This is a stainless steel skillet. We all know
> how bad everything sticks to SS. No more. I've been experimenting
> and now I'm sold. Potatoes, chicken breasts, cube steaks, etc. Man,
> nothing sticks and because of it, cleanup is also a snap. Also,
> because it doesn't stick, I need even less oil.
>
> So, there ya go. Get that pan HOT HOT!!. Not just some kinda
> piddling warm hot. Not just a visible shimmer across the placid
> surface of the oil hot. You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
> crawl outta the pan hot! Just before it starts smoking. Or, maybe
> just as it starts smoking. Toss in the food and let the food take
> the heat then turn it down to an appropriate cooking temp. Try it.
> It really works.
>
> BTW, bring your ice skates. They've opened the rink in Hell, again.
> Sheltie was right. :\
>
> nb

I got that hint from "The Frugal Gourmet" and have always sworn by it.
;-) I've been put down here a number of times for "sticking" with it but
it's worked for me.

I'm behind ya all the way... I used to use ss skillets when I was in
college and first learning how to cook, and actually paid attention to
cooking shows including that one. <G> This was back in the 80's.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 12:13 pm, Steve Wertz >>
wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:40:25 -0600, notbob wrote:
> > Just before it starts smoking.

> Tis always makes me wonder - I see it mentioned so often.
>
> How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
>
> -sw

It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
mouth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-30, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?

You don't read worth a damn, either, do you? What did I say?

"You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
crawl outta the pan hot!"

That's not an exageration. The oil pulls back from the center,
rivulets form on the edges and start to pull up the sides. You want I
should take a picture?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-30, Jason Tinling > wrote:

> It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
> mouth?

LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Sure it works, just like heating the oil in the pan instead of adding it
> once the pan gets hot. The myth is that hot pan, cold oil is the best
> way to prevent sticking.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Heating the oil in the pan (cold pan cold oil) does not work as well
for me. Maybe your pans are magic.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz >> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:40:25 -0600, notbob wrote:
>
> > Just before it starts smoking.

> Tis always makes me wonder - I see it mentioned so often.
>
> How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
>
> -sw

It puts on sunglasses and gets out the lighter and ciggy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jason Tinling" > wrote:

> On Jan 30, 12:13 pm, Steve Wertz >>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:40:25 -0600, notbob wrote:
> > > Just before it starts smoking.

> > Tis always makes me wonder - I see it mentioned so often.
> >
> > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
> >
> > -sw

> It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
> mouth?

<lol> I posted before reading this. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Nancy2" > wrote:

> > Sure it works, just like heating the oil in the pan instead of adding it
> > once the pan gets hot. The myth is that hot pan, cold oil is the best
> > way to prevent sticking.
> >
> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> Heating the oil in the pan (cold pan cold oil) does not work as well
> for me. Maybe your pans are magic.
>
> N.

Ditto.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 12:28 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2007-01-30, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?

> You don't read worth a damn, either, do you? What did I say?
>
> "You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
> crawl outta the pan hot!"
>
> That's not an exageration. The oil pulls back from the center,
> rivulets form on the edges and start to pull up the sides. You want I
> should take a picture?
>
> nb

I think the question is: How do you know when the pan is hot enough
to cause the oil to start smoking BEFORE you put the oil in the pan.
I have seen some cooking shows where they drop a bit of water in the
pan to test the heat of the pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> I recall recently seeing a claim that old saw, "hot pan, cold oil",
> was just so much hype. Not true. I, myself, had never really paid
> it too much attention. Sure, I've always heated up my pan before
> adding any oil, but it never seemed to make that much difference.

It has always seemed to work for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Jan 2007 11:55:14 -0800, "Nancy2" >
wrote:

>Dude, you're late to the party. ;-) Many of us have known this ever
>since the Frugal Gourmet pounded it into our heads: "Hot pan, cold
>oil, meat don't [sic] stick." It was one of his favorite sayings.

I remember it as "hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick". I loved his
shows.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-30, Shadowdog > wrote:

> I think the question is: How do you know when the pan is hot enough
> to cause the oil to start smoking BEFORE you put the oil in the pan.

Just practice, I guess. I put my hand palm-side-down next to the
bottom of the pan and that's a pretty good indicator. I don't go
along with the gotta-be-smokin-hot *before* addding the oil. I
usually add it when it's hot enough to make the oil shimmer and that's
close enough to wait a few seconds just prior to smoking. Besides, I
haven't found it to be a bad thing if it does start smoking just a
tad. Immediately pull it off the burner and throw in the food. I've
got thick copper slugged pans that really hold the heat and the food
will still pull down the temp enough to stop the smoking.

The whole point I was trying to make, here, is that a hot pan may not
be hot enough. I've been putting oil in a hot pan forever. It's just
that it wasn't hot enough. Maybe if I ever get one of those infrared
temperature guns I can come up with some definitive data on exactly
what "hot enough" is. Till then, I'll have to go by sight and feel.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Question: How hot is the oil when the food goes in? I think that's the
3rd variable and the one no one has mentioned.

Possibility #1 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil and heat the oil. Now add
the potatoes.

Possibility #2 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil. Add potatoes immediately.

Possibility #3 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
burner. Add cold oil. Wait for them both to heat together. Now add
potatoes.

Possibility #4 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
burner. Add cold oil. Add potatoes immediately and before the oil has
heated.

You get the idea. Also, y'all have mentioned whether or not the
potatoes stick. I also want to know if the potatoes come out greasy or
crisp.

I'd been taught to heat the pan, then heat the oil, then add the food,
so that's the way I've always done it. Now I'm curious to start
experimenting. I'd guess that putting food in cold oil would increase
the likelihood of a greasy product.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:40:25 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>Here's the kicker. This is a stainless steel skillet. We all know
>how bad everything sticks to SS.

Did you believe that commercial kitchens use Teflon? No....they
don't.

Nothing sticks to my stainless steel....and we use All-Clad to Emeril
saute pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-30, Ward Abbott > wrote:

> Nothing sticks to my stainless steel....and we use All-Clad to Emeril
> saute pans.

Oh, the cheap stuff, eh?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

I generally agree but I'd like to offer one exception:

When I stir-fry, I do it out on my deck with a *huge* propane burner and a
carbon steel wok. The first couple of times I tried the hot-pan-cold-oil
thing, the oil pretty much exploded in a fireball and damn near took off my
eyebrows. The wok heats up so fast that I now put the oil in first with much
better results.

On another note, the first time it happened I covered up the flames and put
the fire out. Next time I just threw the food into the pan and stood back a
bit and continued stir-frying and the flames went out in a few seconds...
they were an exciting few seconds, though. It wasn't the oil proper that was
on fire, it was just the gases coming off of it. When the food dropped the
temperature a bit, it extinguished with no huge effect on the food. I did
decide that was the last time I was going to try that again...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> > Sure it works, just like heating the oil in the pan instead of adding it
> > once the pan gets hot. The myth is that hot pan, cold oil is the best
> > way to prevent sticking.
> >
> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> Heating the oil in the pan (cold pan cold oil) does not work as well
> for me. Maybe your pans are magic.\

it works for me - but then I don't wash my steel in soapy water....

> N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> Question: How hot is the oil when the food goes in? I think that's the
> 3rd variable and the one no one has mentioned.
>

> Possibility #1 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil and heat the oil. Now add
> the potatoes.

never did it this way - too slow.

> Possibility #2 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil. Add potatoes immediately.

guaranteed to stick around here

> Possibility #3 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
> burner. Add cold oil. Wait for them both to heat together. Now add
> potatoes.

does not stick for me - but then I don't soak steel in soapy water

> Possibility #4 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
> burner. Add cold oil. Add potatoes immediately and before the oil has
> heated.

soggy potatoes, sticking...

> You get the idea.

Possibility #5 - the amount of oil - (very few sticking foods in deep
fryers.)

Posibility #6 - whether the potatoes were dried before frying

Also, y'all have mentioned whether or not the
> potatoes stick. I also want to know if the potatoes come out greasy or
> crisp.
>

> I'd been taught to heat the pan, then heat the oil, then add the food,
> so that's the way I've always done it. Now I'm curious to start
> experimenting. I'd guess that putting food in cold oil would increase
> the likelihood of a greasy product.
>

> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Please reread. Some options are redundant and others just plain don't
make sense.

``````````````````

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Gen, 07:56, "hob" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > > Sure it works, just like heating the oil in the pan instead of adding it
> > > once the pan gets hot. The myth is that hot pan, cold oil is the best
> > > way to prevent sticking.

> > > --
> > > Peter Aitken

> > Heating the oil in the pan (cold pan cold oil) does not work as well
> > for me. Maybe your pans are magic.\

> it works for me - but then I don't wash my steel in soapy water....
>

> > N.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

works, works without any problem, is the best way of cooking

gold

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Gen, 14:46, Peter A > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > Did you believe that commercial kitchens use Teflon? No....they
> > don't.

> Do you know why? Because it is not durable enough. Anyway, many
> commercial kitchen do use non-stick when it is warranted and preferred
> by the chef.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

If for commercial use you mean professional, I would say that they
also do but the teflon thickness is more higher compared to the pan
for consumer and then more resistant to the scratch.

Usually Teflon is laminated with Aluminium that is a good conductor
of warmth - it means that to cook you need less energy (gas) and less
oil. Of course copper pan are the best but to expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curt Nelson" prevaricated:

> When I stir-fry, I do it out on my deck with a *huge* propane burner and a
> carbon steel wok. The first couple of times I tried the hot-pan-cold-oil
> thing, the oil pretty much exploded in a fireball and damn near took off my
> eyebrows. The wok heats up so fast that I now put the oil in first with much
> better results.
>
> On another note, the first time it happened I covered up the flames and put
> the fire out. Next time I just threw the food into the pan and stood back a
> bit and continued stir-frying and the flames went out in a few seconds...
> they were an exciting few seconds, though. It wasn't the oil proper that was
> on fire, it was just the gases coming off of it. When the food dropped the
> temperature a bit, it extinguished with no huge effect on the food. I did
> decide that was the last time I was going to try that again...
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

No one in their right mind is going to do any propane cooking on a
deck let alone with one of those blast furnace wok heaters... I don't
believe you have a deck or a propane heater or a wok or that you've
ever cooked anything... I don't believe a word you write... you are a
LIAR!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Gen, 16:12, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> "Curt Nelson" prevaricated:
>

> > When I stir-fry, I do it out on my deck with a *huge* propane burner and a
> > carbon steel wok. The first couple of times I tried the hot-pan-cold-oil
> > thing, the oil pretty much exploded in a fireball and damn near took off my
> > eyebrows. The wok heats up so fast that I now put the oil in first with much
> > better results.

> > On another note, the first time it happened I covered up the flames and put
> > the fire out. Next time I just threw the food into the pan and stood back a
> > bit and continued stir-frying and the flames went out in a few seconds...
> > they were an exciting few seconds, though. It wasn't the oil proper that was
> > on fire, it was just the gases coming off of it. When the food dropped the
> > temperature a bit, it extinguished with no huge effect on the food. I did
> > decide that was the last time I was going to try that again...

> > Hasta,
> > Curt Nelson

> No one in their right mind is going to do any propane cooking on a
> deck let alone with one of those blast furnace wok heaters... I don't
> believe you have a deck or a propane heater or a wok or that you've
> ever cooked anything... I don't believe a word you write... you are a
> LIAR!
>
> Sheldon- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
>
> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

what do you use to cook, coal?
you r no forced to believe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "Curt Nelson" stated:
>> When I stir-fry, I do it out on my deck with a *huge* propane burner and a
>> carbon steel wok.

> No one in their right mind is going to do any propane cooking on a
> deck let alone with one of those blast furnace wok heaters... I don't
> believe you have a deck or a propane heater or a wok or that you've
> ever cooked anything... I don't believe a word you write... you are a
> LIAR!
>
> Sheldon

No propane cooking on a deck? What about the millions of gas BBQs people
have on their decks? What about the turkey fryers thousands are using?
If you are concerned about the heat on your wood, just add a shield on
the floor like we have and no problem.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Here's the kicker. This is a stainless steel skillet. We all know
> how bad everything sticks to SS.
> nb

How heavy a bottom, nb? If this weren't a "decent" ss pan, I'll bet
there'd be some warping at the fast temp change when the cold food hit
it?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

golden wrote:

>> - Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
>>
>> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

Hi, are you from Italy, too?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-01-30, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?

> You don't read worth a damn, either, do you? What did I say?
>
> "You wanna see that oil stand up and try and
> crawl outta the pan hot!"
>
> That's not an exageration. The oil pulls back from the center,
> rivulets form on the edges and start to pull up the sides. You want I
> should take a picture?
>
> nb

Yes. Some of us like visuals. Big poop!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Gen, 16:55, "Vilco" > wrote:
> golden wrote:
> >> - Nascondi testo tra virgolette -

> >> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

> Hi, are you from Italy, too?
> --
> Vilco
> Think pink, drink rose'

Hi, yes i am from Italy, Milan
golden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jason Tinling" > wrote:

> On Jan 30, 12:13 pm, Steve Wertz >>

> > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
> > -sw

> It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
> mouth?

<wiping coffee from screen>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 31 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> In article .com>,
> "Jason Tinling" > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 12:13 pm, Steve Wertz >>

> > > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
> > > -sw

> > It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
> > mouth?

> <wiping coffee from screen>

I use a hot pan cold oil and also allow the food (usually meat that sticks)
to crust up and tell me when to flip it. If you just chuck the meat in and
flip it too early it will stick...but the meat will tell you when you can
flip it over by resistance...don't attempt to flip if the meat won't
'lift' easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> No one in their right mind is going to do any propane cooking on a
> deck let alone with one of those blast furnace wok heaters... I don't
> believe you have a deck or a propane heater or a wok or that you've
> ever cooked anything... I don't believe a word you write... you are a
> LIAR!

Damn... you got me.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-31, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> How heavy a bottom, nb? If this weren't a "decent" ss pan, I'll bet
> there'd be some warping at the fast temp change when the cold food hit
> it?

They have a 1/8" thick copper plate on the bottoms. They were made in
France and sold under the Williams-Sonoma name where I picked them up
on a half price close out. They look like the cookware used on that
old CIA cooking show. I'd like buy a couple more pieces, especially a
saucier, but W-S no longer carries the line.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

<sf> wrote in message ...
> Please reread. Some options are redundant and others just plain don't
> make sense.

They made perfect sense -

a) The original possibilities were listed with three parameters -> oil -
pan - food -

b) they had two start-condition options for each parameter -> hot or cold,

c) and one end condition - all parameters hot.

d) and the third variable was the sequence of the oil, pan/ food /heating
method -> heated together or then-heated sequentially.

her possibility # 1: hot pan; add cold oil, and then-heat to hot oil; then
add cold food; then-heat cold food to hot food -

her possibility # 2: hot pan; then together the cold oil and cold food;
then-heat cold oil and cold food simultaneously to hot oil and hot food

her possibility # 3: cold pan and cold oil together; then-heat to hot oil
and hot pan simultaneously; add cold food and then-heat cold food to hot
food

her possibility # 4: cold pan, cold oil, cold food together; all then-heated
simultaneously to hot oil, hot pan, hot food.

(she did not list as possibilities the obvious impractical sets of hot-cold
and sequence-together- e.g., hot oil into cold pan, hot oil into hot pan,
etc.)

A few of the missed parameters - the level of oil, the type of oil, the
condition of the pan pre-heating...

> ``````````````````
>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:08:00 -0600, "hob" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> >> Question: How hot is the oil when the food goes in? I think that's

the
> >> 3rd variable and the one no one has mentioned.
> >>

> >> Possibility #1 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil and heat the oil. Now add
> >> the potatoes.

> >never did it this way - too slow.
> >
> >> Possibility #2 - Heat the pan. Add cold oil. Add potatoes

immediately.

> >guaranteed to stick around here
> >

> >> Possibility #3 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
> >> burner. Add cold oil. Wait for them both to heat together. Now add
> >> potatoes.

> >does not stick for me - but then I don't soak steel in soapy water
> >

> >> Possibility #4 - Put the pan straight out of the cupboard onto the
> >> burner. Add cold oil. Add potatoes immediately and before the oil has
> >> heated.
> >>

> >soggy potatoes, sticking...
> >

> >> You get the idea.

> >Possibility #5 - the amount of oil - (very few sticking foods in deep
> >fryers.)
> >
> >Possibility #6 - whether the potatoes were dried before frying
> >
> >Also, y'all have mentioned whether or not the
> >> potatoes stick. I also want to know if the potatoes come out greasy or
> >> crisp.
> >>

> >> I'd been taught to heat the pan, then heat the oil, then add the food,
> >> so that's the way I've always done it. Now I'm curious to start
> >> experimenting. I'd guess that putting food in cold oil would increase
> >> the likelihood of a greasy product.
> >>

> >> --Lia
> >>

> --
> See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Jason Tinling" > said:
> On Jan 30, 12:13 pm, Steve Wertz >>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:40:25 -0600, notbob wrote:
> > > Just before it starts smoking.

> > Tis always makes me wonder - I see it mentioned so often.
> >
> > How do you know when it's "almost smoking"?
> >
> > -sw

> It's got the pack out and is starting to move the lighter toward it's
> mouth?

Heh! Good one, Jason... :-)

--
Jani in WA

Bean myth debunked notbob General Cooking 48 09-02-2013 04:08 PM
So much for the myth of gentle chimpanzees Fred C. Dobbs[_2_] Vegan 4 23-06-2010 03:26 PM
Truth or myth? Scott General Cooking 52 16-12-2006 03:56 PM
The killfile myth Lefty General Cooking 98 10-04-2006 09:02 PM
[Myth] I think I finally have control! Ma¢k General Cooking 0 01-05-2005 11:02 PM