Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The killfile myth

I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every ethnic
group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell. You
either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind each
door, theirs smells great.

It would be nice if you could become a giant and get a whiff of the whole
building at once so you could classify it, but you can't. So you cannot say
"that building smells great", or "that building stinks". Like passing by
those doors you can click on a topic header here, and just by seeing the
number of posts, drifts, and the posters, you can get a whiff of that whole
building -- if you tap into each thread drift you will get good smells and
bad.

You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
you've ever heard.

Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.

Great food is an art. There is no place for killfiles in art, because
perfection is a sum-total of myriad imperfections.

You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
the killfile is actually killing possibilities.

Thus, this ng does not stick entirely to cooking because art has no specific
boundaries -- a writer's block can sometimes be overcome by changing media,
like painting a landscape. Should writers ngs never discuss landscapes
because it is not Writing?

You need to be open to continuums in this world, as in the real world
(whatever that means to you), to enrich your life, and your art -- and It's
OK to be ****ed-off just as much as it's OK to be smarmy.

(Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

<PLONK!>

Just kidding. I wonder where <PLONK!> came from and who first used it?
I guess it's no fun placing someone in a killfile unless you let them
know it.

I don't use one. I just ignore some posters or threads.

;-)

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
> they do.

All the freaking time.

> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they
> would miss something.

Not likely. I can't read 20% of this newsgroup as it is. And there are
more important ones to read than this (sorry gang).

Trust me, if I tell you you're plonked, you're plonked. XanaNews makes
it so easy, a click op.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:32:34 +0000, Lefty wrote:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.
>
> This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every ethnic
> group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell. You
> either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind each
> door, theirs smells great.
>
> It would be nice if you could become a giant and get a whiff of the whole
> building at once so you could classify it, but you can't. So you cannot say
> "that building smells great", or "that building stinks". Like passing by
> those doors you can click on a topic header here, and just by seeing the
> number of posts, drifts, and the posters, you can get a whiff of that whole
> building -- if you tap into each thread drift you will get good smells and
> bad.
>
> You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
> your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
> doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
> asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
> you've ever heard.
>
> Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
> things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
> the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.
>
> Great food is an art. There is no place for killfiles in art, because
> perfection is a sum-total of myriad imperfections.
>
> You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
> posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
> people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.
>
> Thus, this ng does not stick entirely to cooking because art has no specific
> boundaries -- a writer's block can sometimes be overcome by changing media,
> like painting a landscape. Should writers ngs never discuss landscapes
> because it is not Writing?
>
> You need to be open to continuums in this world, as in the real world
> (whatever that means to you), to enrich your life, and your art -- and It's
> OK to be ****ed-off just as much as it's OK to be smarmy.
>
> (Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)

<Did not snip>

Nice post! There are a few that have followed MY posts and their comments
are always shitty..so when I see them behind me I delete THEM and don't
read their crap. I sometimes read their posts in other threads and try to
figure out if they actually have a brain.. some do some don't. There are
some that continually have conversations..sort of like instant messenger..
I never read those. It doesn't make them bad people though..nothing
personal. Post what you like read what you want. If this NG was just a
bunch of imported/repeated same recipes over and over Master Cook
ingredients list it would not be worth much. Long lists of recipes with no
personal comments about the posters experience are useless to me. Some of
these folks are pretty funny in many ways. I have actually laughed to
near tears over the good ones. L0L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they

do.
> > I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss

something.

> <long post snipped>
>
> I really appreciate the general tenor of your post. Be open to new
> experiences, you say! Appreciate the good in people! All great ideas.
> But when these ideals bump up against reality, they fall flat.
>
> My killfile is one of my most precious possessions. Without it I would
> have abandoned this NG long ago. I do not killfile people capriciously
> nor do I do it to "get" people (no one gives a shit if I killfile them,
> really!). But there is a small number of posters who are regularly
> offensive, obscene, ignorant, and/or stupid. They rarely or never
> contribute anything of value, and their minds are shut tight against
> learning anything. Think of sheldon and chung and wolf and the
> projectile vomit whatever!
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

I know what you mean. I was speaking for myself because I truly hate to miss
anything. I find that some of the good stuff is embedded in thread drift
that started out from Sheldon or those others.

It is important also to change perspective and look at the world from the
point of view of Art sometimes, even if it seems naive or pie-in-the-sky
(obfood :-) because Art makes the Absurd real and the real Absurd. That way
you can read Chung and laugh while you puke.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.

It's a requirement in this group. It's huge, it has a not-so-good
signal to noise ratio, and time is short. Filtering is a must...
by subject, by thread, by sender, etc.

Keep in mind that using filters (much better term than killfile)
doesn't necessarily mean that if a specific person is filtered
their posts are never, ever seen, at least the way I'm set up.

Filtered posts come in marked as read. All I need to do to
read them is click on them, which I do from time to time.

In my world, most specific posters are filtered out not
as some sort of punishment, but instead because their posts
don't contain material of interest, historically (as I said,
time is short). I sometimes spot check this and filters do
change over time.

> (Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)

No.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:32:34 GMT, "Lefty" > wrote:

>I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
>I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

I have two people killfiled. Also, lots of threads and words that may
appear in subject lines - things I'm not interested in.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.
>
> This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every ethnic
> group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell. You
> either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind each
> door, theirs smells great.
>
> It would be nice if you could become a giant and get a whiff of the whole
> building at once so you could classify it, but you can't. So you cannot say
> "that building smells great", or "that building stinks". Like passing by
> those doors you can click on a topic header here, and just by seeing the
> number of posts, drifts, and the posters, you can get a whiff of that whole
> building -- if you tap into each thread drift you will get good smells and
> bad.
>
> You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
> your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
> doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
> asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
> you've ever heard.
>
> Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
> things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
> the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.
>
> Great food is an art. There is no place for killfiles in art, because
> perfection is a sum-total of myriad imperfections.
>
> You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
> posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
> people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.
>
> Thus, this ng does not stick entirely to cooking because art has no specific
> boundaries -- a writer's block can sometimes be overcome by changing media,
> like painting a landscape. Should writers ngs never discuss landscapes
> because it is not Writing?
>
> You need to be open to continuums in this world, as in the real world
> (whatever that means to you), to enrich your life, and your art -- and It's
> OK to be ****ed-off just as much as it's OK to be smarmy.
>
> (Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)
> --
> Lefty
>
> Life is for learning
> The worst I ever had was wonderful

I read the newsgroups on the internet via Google Groups, so don't have
to spend time on download/catchup those messages, so time and space not
an issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Reg wrote:

> It's a requirement in this group. It's huge, it has a not-so-good
> signal to noise ratio, and time is short. Filtering is a must...
> by subject, by thread, by sender, etc.

I used to filter when I used other newsreaders but Google doesn't
provide any. Google does provide information useful in reading pretty
efficiently. Besides showing the most recent poster's name, it shows
you the total number of posts in a thread and the number of authors.

When I see a thread with a small number of authors and a large number
of posts -- say a ratio of less than 1:4 or 5 authors to posts -- I
know it's just the chitchatters talking back and forth and there won't
be any content. Just keep scrolling.

When I see the opposite, a high ratio of authors to posts, I know it's
some topic that has caught general interest. Take a look at it.

When I see Chung or [insert your least favorite posters here], just
keep scrolling.

Google also shows the number of posts in a thread since you last
looked. When I see a high number of new posts in a thread I previously
stopped reading there's a good chance the thread has drifted to a new
topic, so I'll go check it out.

I still wish Google would add some form of filtering so certain kinds
of things just wouldn't show up at all, but until then -- or until all
the scrolling gives me carpal tunnel syndrome -- it's okay. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is going to sound a bit peculiar. Some newsgroups become dead when the
vitreole stops. I enjoy Sheldon, and when he quiets the NG quiets as well,
sometimes too much. This is also particularly true for alt.food.barbecue,
which doesn't surprise me. One can envision the macho barbecue chef
thumping his chest as he hovers over his grill out in the patio. Please
don't take this wrongly. There is a point, obvously, where the mission of
the group fails because of this.
The one adverse affect of this, however, is to keep new posters from
posting. This is unfortunate. We're all here for new ideas. I have learned a
lot here and on other food related NGs from new and old posters.
Kent

"Lefty" > wrote in message
> [...]
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.
>
> Thus, this ng does not stick entirely to cooking because art has no
> specific
> boundaries -- a writer's block can sometimes be overcome by changing
> media,
> like painting a landscape. Should writers ngs never discuss landscapes
> because it is not Writing?
>
> You need to be open to continuums in this world, as in the real world
> (whatever that means to you), to enrich your life, and your art -- and
> It's
> OK to be ****ed-off just as much as it's OK to be smarmy.
>
> (Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Lefty" > wrote:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

I just checked my filters for this group, I have 42. I've only had
killfile capability for six months, so these are all from that time
period. Before then I just didn't read posts from certain people.

> You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
> your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
> doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
> asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
> you've ever heard.
>
> Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
> things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
> the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.

It's not a music group, it's a food group.

> You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
> posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
> people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.

It's not a music group, it's a food group.

I don't KF people because I don't like them, I KF them because I'm not
interested in reading their posts. I have people in my KF that I like,
they just aren't posting anything worthwhile.

I have 24 hours in a day. I have things to do besides read junk on this
group. I could easily find several hundred hours of things to do every
day. I have to kill a lot of possibilities already. That's life.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

Well, I do. I have quite a few people killfiled and some
subjects as well.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote on 06 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Lefty wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
> > they do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they
> > would miss something.
> >

> Well, I do. I have quite a few people killfiled and some
> subjects as well.
>
> Kate

Me too I've killfiled many spammers, patches, others that annoy me and many
thread titles. But Strangely not sheldon.

--
-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 09:32:34a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they
> do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss
> something.

I use both a killfile and a score file (filter). There are 15 individuals
permanently in my killfile. I am not the least bit curious about what they
have to say. There are occasions when I see something they wrote quoted in
another post, but I rarely read it even then. I have 8 filters that focus
on specific topics or keywords, including those most often found in SPAM.
All in all, this is quite effective.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 09:32:34a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Lefty?
>
>> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they
>> do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss
>> something.

> I use both a killfile and a score file (filter). There are 15 individuals
> permanently in my killfile. I am not the least bit curious about what
> they
> have to say. There are occasions when I see something they wrote quoted
> in
> another post, but I rarely read it even then. I have 8 filters that focus
> on specific topics or keywords, including those most often found in SPAM.
> All in all, this is quite effective.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'm not afraid that I would miss garbage mouths, rudeness, people acting
crazy, insults, mean-spirited people, opinions on religion and politics.
Why would anyone want to see a snake striking at you or anyone else?
I don't have many people killfiled, I generally ignore their post when I see
they have posted.
OTOH, I have my favorite people who I read most of their posts whether or
not it is OT, because they lift my spirit.
This is one bet you lost on me ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Lefty wrote:
>> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they
>> do.
>> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss
>> something.
>>

> I read the newsgroups on the internet via Google Groups, so don't have
> to spend time on download/catchup those messages, so time and space not
> an issue.

I do that a lot, too, Dee. It is a good way for me to read a complete group
of messages, and then to save them in one Word document; particularly if
there are some very good points made about a recipe. Even cutting and
pasting them as a group of messages to a Word document, then it is easy to
cut out all the extraneous stuff -- you know, signatures, etc.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:32:46 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

>>Keep in mind that using filters (much better term than killfile)
>>doesn't necessarily mean that if a specific person is filtered
>>their posts are never, ever seen, at least the way I'm set up.
>>
>>Filtered posts come in marked as read. All I need to do to
>>read them is click on them, which I do from time to time.

> Reading news is a personal science.
>
> Most of my filters are in my head. I have a few physical filters
> for Chung,

If i had known how easy the mail filters were on the Mac OS X system i
would have upgraded long ago.

On my old OS 8.5 one had to type in manually the address and tittles or
any other information one wanted to filter and i could never seem to get
them to work properly, with the new "Panther" system its just a one
click operation.

So easy that i now filter for the slightest reasons, the least amount of
offensiveness (IMO) or off topic posting (make money sending e mails!)
or mere associations, i.e. replies to "Chung" get filtered even if they
are anti - chung.

> ObFood: Chicken Caesar Salad from Logan's Roadhouse. With blue
> cheese, bacon, walnuts, red onion, and some pretty darn good
> grilled chicken. Not exactly traditional, but very acceptable.

On an asparagus kick recently, $1.00 per pound and falling, cream of
asparagus soup last night with home made garlic cheese croutons.

Thinking of a asparagus and blue cheese fritatta for tonight. But maybe
beef and asparagus stir fry with black bean sauce, i get a pint of the
sauce for 2 dollars at a local Chinese restaurant.
---
JL

> Tonight will be ... (oops...better save that for another ObFood)
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

As was said before in this thread, how many people use killfiles without
ever telling us? Many, I suspect.

> This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every ethnic
> group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell. You
> either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind each
> door, theirs smells great.

That's an interesting simile, but unfortunately to far a reach to be
credible. Any of us who have been to the "other" walk-ups, where things
are not a-shimmer with fairy tale rosy diversity, recognize that your
analogy to the newsgroup lacks any kind of depth and insight at all.

> It would be nice if you could become a giant and get a whiff of the whole
> building at once so you could classify it, but you can't. So you cannot say
> "that building smells great", or "that building stinks". Like passing by
> those doors you can click on a topic header here, and just by seeing the
> number of posts, drifts, and the posters, you can get a whiff of that whole
> building -- if you tap into each thread drift you will get good smells and
> bad.

Sadly though, here in RealLife we tend to receive the most prominent
ambient note and react accordingly. Look at it this way: the magnificent
penthouse at the top of a renovated apartment building has a huge
greenhouse in which the tenant grows the most marvelous damask-scented
roses in the world. But on the ground floor of the same building, three
elderly sisters who have lived in the same squalid old run-down rat trap
apartment all of their lives all passed away of natural causes a week
ago. Most passers-by would state with confidence "that building stinks"
without regard to the splendor above. And from above, one have a
definite sense of off-notes in the luxurious patch.

> You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
> your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
> doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
> asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
> you've ever heard.

Then that pussy better start blowing his or her horn relevantly and
worth a damn, because even the most brilliant virtuoso won't be allowed
to play if he or she treats the rest of the orchestra like hacks.

> Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
> things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
> the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.

Actually, they don't. It's startling how closed minded and arbitrary
they can be. The appearance of tolerance is in the eye of the beholder,
which is struck by the other person's unquestioning acceptance of
concepts and images the beholder has not necessarily recognized before
but may ignore that same person's utter ignorance of or sneering
rejection of more commonplace or traditional ideas.

> Great food is an art. There is no place for killfiles in art, because
> perfection is a sum-total of myriad imperfections.

If this newsgroup was great food or great art, you might be closer to
making your point.

> You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
> posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
> people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.

Is it the creative person who changes levels, or is it the observer
whose level of appreciation changes over time? I am confident that, had
he lived, Andy Warhol would be doing permutations of soup cans this very
day and insisting it is great art deserving of praise and moolah.
Spaulding Gray was wonderfully imaginative, and when he starting doing
what he was best at he was lauded as a genius. But after years of
endless schtick that never changed except to become more self-pitying,
his doting audiences left him for something less pathetic. The most
creative person will be tempted to continue doing what has worked before
at the expense of untried concepts, and the uncreative will (a la Homer
Simpson's Barbecue Pit) become one hit wonders. With luck, new
appreciative audiences will find them once their older following moves
on to something "new."

> Thus, this ng does not stick entirely to cooking because art has no specific
> boundaries -- a writer's block can sometimes be overcome by changing media,
> like painting a landscape. Should writers ngs never discuss landscapes
> because it is not Writing?

Overcoming writer's block by painting a picture, Gracie?

> You need to be open to continuums in this world

The word is continua...

> as in the real world
> (whatever that means to you), to enrich your life, and your art -- and It's
> OK to be ****ed-off just as much as it's OK to be smarmy.

Never, never, never confuse a newsgroup with an art form. It is a means
of expression and discussion about an art form, but the forum is not the
art itself. If it was, then art would merely be an assembly of a load of
dilettantes and few connoiseurs with no product other than opinions on
what they think art should be.

> (Obfood: see "stinky chitterlings" [aka chittlin's] above.)

Those are also not art.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Lefty wrote:
>
> > I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
> > they do.

> Keep in mind that using filters (much better term than killfile)
> doesn't necessarily mean that if a specific person is filtered
> their posts are never, ever seen, at least the way I'm set up.

With my newsreader, the killfile and the filtering system are separate
but complementary systems. The killfile (bozo bin) is a one-click
operation that blocks strictly by email addr. It's easy to use but
morphers get around it easily.

The filtering system is much more flexible, but a more work to use. You
can also block by sender there too, and it's useful for those that keep
the same ID but morph the email. The main reason I went to a more
powerful system than Netscape was to be able to handle crossposted
newsgroups. There are certain usenet uber-trolls (Ch*ng) that always
cross to the same newsgroups. By blocking those, I get 99% of his stuff
out of sight.

> Filtered posts come in marked as read. All I need to do to
> read them is click on them, which I do from time to time.

I have mine set to not even load them. I just don't care.

> In my world, most specific posters are filtered out not
> as some sort of punishment, but instead because their posts
> don't contain material of interest, historically (as I said,
> time is short). I sometimes spot check this and filters do
> change over time.

The biggest sin is wasting my precious usenet time

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> If i had known how easy the mail filters were on the Mac OS X system i
> would have upgraded long ago.
>
> On my old OS 8.5 one had to type in manually the address and tittles or
> any other information one wanted to filter and i could never seem to get
> them to work properly, with the new "Panther" system its just a one
> click operation.
>
> So easy that i now filter for the slightest reasons, the least amount of
> offensiveness (IMO) or off topic posting (make money sending e mails!)
> or mere associations, i.e. replies to "Chung" get filtered even if they
> are anti - chung.

So you are reading this group via Email? How do you do that? And why
would you?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>If i had known how easy the mail filters were on the Mac OS X system i
>>would have upgraded long ago.
>>
>>On my old OS 8.5 one had to type in manually the address and tittles or
>>any other information one wanted to filter and i could never seem to get
>>them to work properly, with the new "Panther" system its just a one
>>click operation.
>>
>>So easy that i now filter for the slightest reasons, the least amount of
>> offensiveness (IMO) or off topic posting (make money sending e mails!)
>>or mere associations, i.e. replies to "Chung" get filtered even if they
>>are anti - chung.

> So you are reading this group via Email? How do you do that? And why
> would you?

No, i mis spoke (typed) "mail filters" when i meant just plain,
ordinary, 'filters' for NG's.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every
ethnic
group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell.
You
either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind
each
door, theirs smells great.

Lefty, I like this Post and I like your ideas, this is better than the
kitchen table comparison.. You have a great attitude.
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:

> It would be nice if you could become a giant and get a whiff of the whole
> building at once so you could classify it, but you can't. So you cannot say
> "that building smells great", or "that building stinks". Like passing by
> those doors you can click on a topic header here, and just by seeing the
> number of posts, drifts, and the posters, you can get a whiff of that whole
> building -- if you tap into each thread drift you will get good smells and
> bad.
>
> You could killfile the ones you deem as usually bad smelling; like holding
> your nose, closing your eyes, and plugging your ears as you pass certain
> doors; but by doing so you might also miss out on the music. That intolerant
> asshole, that whining pussy, that know-it-all, might be the best horn player
> you've ever heard.
>
> Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
> things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
> the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.
>
> Great food is an art. There is no place for killfiles in art, because
> perfection is a sum-total of myriad imperfections.
>
> You can dislike, argue, rant, call somebody a fool in one of their cooking
> posts but next time you pass their door you may hear great music. Creative
> people change levels; you can now appreciate that poster on a different
> level. So you called them names about cooking ten posts ago--that doesn't
> mean you cannot like what they say about the music and tell them so. So
> the killfile is actually killing possibilities.

There are only two or three people in this group that I have killfiled for
being obnoxious jerks. And then there is Chung and his rants. He seems to have
the ability to incite responses, so I killfile the subjects.

I am involved in another group where there is one pathetic loser who wants it
all to be about him. He posts lies and misinformation just to get people to
argue with him. Being such an idiot, he attracted a crowd of detractors. When he
realized that most of us had filtered him he started changing names to sneak
past the filters. Then he will post more inflammatory crap to get people upset
enough to respond. I came to the conclusion that he just likes to be the centre
of attention, even if it is negative. Someone started a petition to et him to
leave. He is such a pathetic loser that he signed it himself.

I used Netscape which allows me to filter by name or subject, and up to five
items per filter. In that group I have 23 different filters set up, 5 just for
him because he has at least two dozen name shifts. Most of the rest are for
those who are there only to harass him, and then most of the others are for
those who post more to and about him than on topic.

FWIW...I consider it don't make it a habit to announce who I filter. But since
we are on the topic, let's just say that the individuals I have filtered have
all been named by other people. I have no qualms about mentioning Mr. Chung
because he's just plain whacked. In his case, suicide would be a public service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > wrote in
:

> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
> they do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would
> miss something.

I've always wondered why they bother posting "plonk", who cares if you
killfile someone? other than maybe the one you're KFing, and in those cases
9 times outta 10 the take joy in that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> >>So easy that i now filter for the slightest reasons, the least amount of
> >> offensiveness (IMO) or off topic posting (make money sending e mails!)
> >>or mere associations, i.e. replies to "Chung" get filtered even if they
> >>are anti - chung.

> > So you are reading this group via Email? How do you do that? And why
> > would you?
> >

> No, i mis spoke (typed) "mail filters" when i meant just plain,
> ordinary, 'filters' for NG's.

That still leaves my question of how you are reading this group? I
looked at your headers after I posted my question, and it looks like
Netscape. I don't believe that it is part of the OS at all.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike H" > wrote in message
9.130...
> "Lefty" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
>> they do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would
>> miss something.

> I've always wondered why they bother posting "plonk", who cares if you
> killfile someone? other than maybe the one you're KFing, and in those
> cases
> 9 times outta 10 the take joy in that.

Maybe the person that writes "Plonk" isn't actually killfiling the person;
persons he/she is just registering disgust. A quick and easy way to express
it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> Lefty wrote:
> > I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
> > I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

> As was said before in this thread, how many people use killfiles without
> ever telling us? Many, I suspect.

I always thought it was a little childish to announce that you were killfiling
someone, unless the person was being exceptionally obnoxious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:13:52 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> Maybe the person that writes "Plonk" isn't actually killfiling the person;
> persons he/she is just registering disgust. A quick and easy way to express
> it.
> Dee Dee

I read somewhere that PLONK represents the sound that the bits make
hitting the bottom of the bit bucket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
> I wonder how many people actually use Killfile.

I don't, not anymore. I used to early on when aol sponsored Newsgroups
but only for a few months, I quickly discovered that killfiling is for
the weak minded, for those too wussy to control their mouse finger. I
discriminate who I read mostly by the particular thread and poster...
after so many years here I already know what particular posters have to
say for instance about which pots to buy, so if I read a thread on
cookware I don't click on their posts, and so forth for each thread.
With a very few people I read all their posts because they entertain
me, and with even fewer I never read any of their posts because they
don't entertain nor do they have anything worthwhile to say.

So for me it's essentially for the most part a two stage system, who I
read depends on the thread. Some I always read, some I never read.
And besides, even when someone quotes a poster I never read otherwise I
can still skip over their idiotic contribution, and even on the few
instances I read something where its intent is to personally offend
just me, I don't think anyone in all of usenet posseses thicker skin,
compared to my skin T. Rex skin is tissue paper.

I also don't read past two drags on the scroll bar, I don't read the
verbose, if they can't spit it out in less than 500 woids they have
nothing to say. I at one time killfiled webtv but of late I see very,
very few anyway.

Oh, and of those who constantly need to remind that they've killfiled
anyone, they haven't, they lie. I know for a fact that hardly anyone
here has me killfiled, in fact of those who claim to they hang on my
every word... too often I've found them month later regurgitating
something they'd only know by reading my posts. And of all posts
archieved by Google mine are the most often seached.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:
> something they'd only know by reading my posts. And of all posts
> archieved by Google mine are the most often seached.
>
> Sheldon

ROTFL!! Now how in sam hell do you think you know THAT? Do tell!!

Speaking of nuts. . . . "-)

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Asparagus Cashew Rice Pilaf - Serves 2

Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 4-6-06.
Serving Size: 2
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 ounce uncooked spaghetti broken
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon uncooked jasmine rice
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 ounces fresh asparagus trimmed and cut
into 2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons cashew halves

1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Increase heat
to medium, and stir in spaghetti, cooking until coated with the melted
butter and lightly browned.

2. Stir onion and garlic into the saucepan, and cook about 2 minutes,
until tender. Stir in jasmine rice, and cook about 5 minutes. Pour in
vegetable broth. Season mixture with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture
to a boil, cover, and cook 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid
has been absorbed.

3. Place asparagus in a separate medium saucepan with enough water to
cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender but firm.

4. Mix asparagus and cashew halves into the rice mixture, and serve warm.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: From Allrecipes.com, 3-30-05

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> So you are reading this group via Email? How do you do that? And
> why would you?

There have been newsreaders in the past that would do that, and I think
Google still allows it. In the past that's lead to people posting angry
messages, "You people stop sending me email!!!!"

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article > ,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>Dan Abel wrote:

>>>So you are reading this group via Email? How do you do that? And why
>>>would you?
>>>

>>No, i mis spoke (typed) "mail filters" when i meant just plain,
>>ordinary, 'filters' for NG's.

> That still leaves my question of how you are reading this group? I
> looked at your headers after I posted my question, and it looks like
> Netscape. I don't believe that it is part of the OS at all.

Well obviously its all "geek" to me, but i think your right, i upgraded
from Netscape 4 on my old OS to Netscape 7 with the new OS, so much
better at least for the filters.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> > something they'd only know by reading my posts. And of all posts
> > archieved by Google mine are the most often seached.

> ROTFL!! Now how in sam hell do you think you know THAT? Do tell!!

How many times has someone started a thread trying to convince others
to killfile me, this is one of those threads... can anyone even count
that high... those are the times when the newbies spend hours searching
out my old posts so that they can attempt to sound intelligent in their
replies regarding how they can seem like they've been here long enough
to know what they're talking about. Not. Meanwhile year after year
after year I'm still here while most of my detractors, and many much
better adversaries than the current batch, are long gone. If I wanted
I could at any time easily cause someone to place my name in that Subj.
line... one twitch of my little finger on their marionette string.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:
> > >
> > > something they'd only know by reading my posts. And of all posts
> > > archieved by Google mine are the most often seached.

> > ROTFL!! Now how in sam hell do you think you know THAT? Do tell!!

> How many times has someone started a thread trying to convince others
> to killfile me

> Sheldon

You're an ass. When I mentioned killfile, yours was the fiist name anybody
volunteered. If I weren't feeling equananimous I would say you are a jealous
piece of crap--but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you are just
crap. You're reaching out of your league Sweatheart, trying to play with the
big boys.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Lefty wrote:
> This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every
> ethnic
> group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell.
> You
> either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind
> each
> door, theirs smells great.
>

> Lefty, I like this Post and I like your ideas, this is better than the
> kitchen table comparison.. You have a great attitude.
> Rosie

Thanks Rosie,
I appreciate that because I think attitude is everything (next to breathing
:-) BTW Rosie is my favorite name. You should post more --the more
positivity the more better.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> I wonder where <PLONK!> came from and who first used it?

Doing a Google search for "PLONK", the first recorded use of "PLONK"
relating to placing someone in a killfile on Google was:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...b56e714?hl=en&

Friday, November 10, 1989 10:44am

In alt.flame

Thomas A. Dowe wrote:

>Make me.

Richard Sexton responded:

*plonk*

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas A. Dowe wrote:

>Make me.

Richard Sexton responded:

*plonk*

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > writes:

>I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
>I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

I love my killfile. I give it chocolates and flowers and whisper
cuddlies into its ear.

Stacia

Killfile 2016! gtr General Cooking 68 31-03-2016 08:39 AM
My killfile - B o r i s -[_7_] General Cooking 6 16-12-2008 08:22 PM
If you killfile me B o r i s[_2_] General Cooking 26 07-12-2008 11:51 AM
I killfile Jill cybercat General Cooking 103 09-01-2008 10:17 PM
Something for those in my killfile [email protected] Barbecue 10 21-11-2006 07:23 PM