Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Truth or myth?

i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
to it.

you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
something to do with the metal in the can.

also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
hot...it has to cool down first.

Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote on 15 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.
>
> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> hot...it has to cool down first.
>
> Scott

first off it depends on what's in the can but in general stuff can take on
a metalic taste from the metal in the can. even though most cans these days
are plastic lined.

As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here is
not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can lead
to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge uses
power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on the
counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Scott wrote on 15 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> > to it.
> >
> > you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> > something to do with the metal in the can.
> >
> > also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> > hot...it has to cool down first.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> first off it depends on what's in the can but in general stuff can take on
> a metalic taste from the metal in the can. even though most cans these days
> are plastic lined.
>
> As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here is
> not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can lead
> to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge uses
> power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on the
> counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

I would never let some things cool to room temp before refrigerating,
especially meat.

Unless you are stuffing the refrigerator with hot food all at once, an
occasional hot dish isn't going to hurt any food already there. I
think cooling for half an hour is about as long as I wait. My son who
was a sous chef for a while says never to tightly cover hot potatoes
and put them in the fridge; if you want to put them in while they are
hot, then leave the cover off. I don't know why - something about
potatoes being particularly touchy.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here is
> not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can lead
> to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge uses
> power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on the
> counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Meloneyd" > wrote

>> As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here
>> is
>> not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can
>> lead
>> to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge
>> uses
>> power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on
>> the
>> counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

> Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
> fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.
>
> http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Meloneyd" > wrote
>
> >> As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here
> >> is
> >> not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can
> >> lead
> >> to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge
> >> uses
> >> power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on
> >> the
> >> counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

> > Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
> > fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.
> >
> > http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

> You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.
>
> nancy

I know, but good thing I'm not a bacteria freak. I just put the food in
the fridge whenever I feel like it. It's so weird too because I have
OCD, but germs and stuff don't scare me at all. Haven't gotten sick off
food in all my 22 years...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Meloneyd" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Meloneyd" > wrote

>> > Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
>> > fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.
>> >
>> > http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

>> You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.

> I know, but good thing I'm not a bacteria freak. I just put the food in
> the fridge whenever I feel like it. It's so weird too because I have
> OCD, but germs and stuff don't scare me at all. Haven't gotten sick off
> food in all my 22 years...

Oh, I only got really sick once from something I ate, I don't wish
that on anyone. Personally, I just put whatever it is into the
refrigerator because if I walk away, I will forget. My motto seems
to be Out of sight, out of mind. Sad, but true. Heh. I'm not as
careful as I should be all the time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.

I have heard this, too. According to my fuzzy memory, this practice can
lead to botulism. I might be mis-remembering this, though.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Meloneyd" > wrote
>
>>> As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here
>>> is
>>> not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can
>>> lead
>>> to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge
>>> uses
>>> power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on
>>> the
>>> counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

>> Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
>> fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.
>>
>> http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

> You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.
>
> nancy

Yes, you could, but the theory is correct. The one thing scientists cannot
determine is HOW MUCH hot stuff someone is putting in the refrigerator all
at once. Without that information, neither the scientists nor you and I can
make any hard and fast rules.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Scott wrote:
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
>> to it.
>>
>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>> something to do with the metal in the can.

> I have heard this, too. According to my fuzzy memory, this practice can
> lead to botulism. I might be mis-remembering this, though.
>
> Mike

No. Not botulism.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
> truth to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.
>
> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> hot...it has to cool down first.
>
> Scott

You still trying to get us to do your homework for you, Scott? Yeah, that
"please disregard" post in which you mentioned milk in meatloaf gave us a
clue. This is a newsgroup, not a homework assignment.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Scott wrote on 15 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> > > to it.
> > >
> > > you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> > > something to do with the metal in the can.
> > >
> > > also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> > > hot...it has to cool down first.
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >

> > first off it depends on what's in the can but in general stuff can take on
> > a metalic taste from the metal in the can. even though most cans these days
> > are plastic lined.
> >
> > As to the cooling stuff before you put it in the fridge...The idea here is
> > not to heat up the fridge...letting the fridge's contents get warm can lead
> > to foods spoiling quicker and not just the warm stuff. Also the fridge uses
> > power to cool the stuff which can be lessened if you let stuff cool on the
> > counter to room temp before putting it in the fridge.

> I would never let some things cool to room temp before refrigerating,
> especially meat.
>
> Unless you are stuffing the refrigerator with hot food all at once, an
> occasional hot dish isn't going to hurt any food already there. I
> think cooling for half an hour is about as long as I wait. My son who
> was a sous chef for a while says never to tightly cover hot potatoes
> and put them in the fridge; if you want to put them in while they are
> hot, then leave the cover off. I don't know why - something about
> potatoes being particularly touchy.
>
> N.

IIRC you don't cover the potatoes because they are dehydrating as they
cool. If you cover them they will tend to keep on cooking (steaming)
much more than you want. Actually for small amounts it might not be
that important but in a professional kitchen with large volumes it
could be very nasty.

I usually put things in the fridge immediately but it does not really
make much difference as far as I can see though I do believe it is
probably a good idea to put cooked meats in the fridge with 24 hours.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
>> truth to it.
>>
>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>> something to do with the metal in the can.
>>
>> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
>> hot...it has to cool down first.
>>
>> Scott

> You still trying to get us to do your homework for you, Scott? Yeah, that
> "please disregard" post in which you mentioned milk in meatloaf gave us a
> clue. This is a newsgroup, not a homework assignment.
>
> Jill

Hey. That's MY line. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.

I think this is true. I just checked a couple of cans and it does say
"once opened, transfer any unused contents to a non-metallic container"

I have heard that this is due to the metal reacting with the food and
air, thus getting into the food.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
>> truth to it.
>>
>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>> something to do with the metal in the can.
>>
>> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
>> hot...it has to cool down first.
>>
>> Scott

> You still trying to get us to do your homework for you, Scott? Yeah, that
> "please disregard" post in which you mentioned milk in meatloaf gave us a
> clue. This is a newsgroup, not a homework assignment.
>
> Jill

that test has nothing to do with cooking. i promised her earlier i was
going to make the best meatloaf she's ever had and was wondering about
the milk because it seem kinda strange that milk is used it meatloaf.
anyway i'm trying the milk in meatloaf this weekend and hopefully it'll
come out good.

scott

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gareth" > wrote in message
news
> Scott wrote:
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
>> to it.
>>
>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>> something to do with the metal in the can.

> I think this is true. I just checked a couple of cans and it does say
> "once opened, transfer any unused contents to a non-metallic container"
>
> I have heard that this is due to the metal reacting with the food and air,
> thus getting into the food.

All you have to do is observe the can. Some of them will get discolored on
the inside in a matter of hours after being opened.

I wonder how many messages this discussion will contain by tomorrow. I'm
estimating over 100. Meanwhile, one only needs to buy some good quality
plastic containers and be done with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.

From http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/keepingfoo...ing/#cat301164

"When you have opened a can of food and you’re not using all the food
straight away, empty the food into a bowl, or other container, and put
it in the fridge.

Don’t store food in an opened tin can, or re-use empty cans to cook or
store food. This is because when a can has been opened and the food is
open to the air, the tin may transfer more quickly to the can’s contents.

This advice doesn’t apply to foods sold in cans with resealable lids,
such as golden syrup and cocoa."

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> > i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> > to it.
> >
> > you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> > something to do with the metal in the can.

> I have heard this, too. According to my fuzzy memory, this practice can
> lead to botulism. I might be mis-remembering this, though.
>
> Mike

Botulism bacteria are anaerobic. They can only grow in sealed cans
where there's no oxygen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> to it.
>
> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> something to do with the metal in the can.
>
> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> hot...it has to cool down first.
>
> Scott

I've stored things in the original can and I don't think I've died yet.
People buy large cans of V-8 juice, grapefruit juice, etc. and leave
the contents in the original container all the time. Usually if
something is stored in the original can and it starts to get moldy or
the can starts to get rusty then it's probably been in the refrigerator
too long to begin with.

I also put hot food in the refrigerator. The idea is to cool the food
off as quickly as possible and it's going to cool off a lot faster in
the refrigerator than just sitting out on the counter. The
refrigerator has to work a little harder to pull the heat out but
that's what it's there for. Within an hour or two the hot food is cold
and with no adverse effects to the the food that's already in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
>>> truth to it.
>>>
>>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>>> something to do with the metal in the can.
>>>
>>> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while
>>> it's hot...it has to cool down first.
>>>
>>> Scott

>> You still trying to get us to do your homework for you, Scott?
>> Yeah, that "please disregard" post in which you mentioned milk in
>> meatloaf gave us a clue. This is a newsgroup, not a homework
>> assignment.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> that test has nothing to do with cooking. i promised her earlier i was
> going to make the best meatloaf she's ever had and was wondering about
> the milk because it seem kinda strange that milk is used it meatloaf.
> anyway i'm trying the milk in meatloaf this weekend and hopefully
> it'll come out good.
>
> scott

Really? It had nothing to do with the test? That is why you wrote that you
got a lot of good responses to the milk in meatloaf thread and so you would
be able to complete the test on time? And I quote:

"got about about 50 more lessons to go before i take my test. the
material is getting more difficult. i'll be finish with the 1st section
in 6 lessons. i got a really good discussion going with my 'milk in
meatloaf' question on the cooking forum."

I see no mention of cooking said meatloaf for anyone, just a question and I
quote: "why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk? What's the difference
between using milk and water?"

You were probably told meatloaf doesn't require milk or water, I have no
idea because it was a ridiculous topic in and of itself.

And by the way, capital letters are not a crime, in fact, in real life they
are pretty much a requirement. You aren't texting someone about the girl
sitting across the food court. Your future employer isn't likely to think
you're cute by excluding capital letters in correspondence. He/she also
won't think it's cute to know you fudged on your exams by soliciting
assistance from strangers.... why don't you just ask someone older than you
whom you trust for help if you need it? Better yet, go to the library and
check out some books.

I have no idea what "degree" you're going for but if you can't cook now, you
won't be able to cook by cheating on your exams. Sorry, sad truth.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "yetanotherBob" > wrote in message
>> > In article >,
>> > says...

>> > Whoa! What about those nasty estrogen-mimicking compounds that leach
>> > from the plastic?
>> >
>> > Bob (just doing his part to pad the total)

>> :-)
>>
>> OK. Extra bowls, waxed paper, and rubber bands to make a tight seal. Of
>> course, now we need to worry about whether the glaze on the bowls is
>> safe,
>> since it all comes from China, and they think cadmium is a spice.

> Canning jars. They're inexpensive, washable, make a pretty good seal
> even when
> you don't process them, and quite inert. You can even pour hot stuff
> into them.
> (Although old ones a prone to shatter from thermo changes because they
> get little
> nicks and cracks in them). Not ideal for every application, but pretty
> versatile.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's true, too. And, Ball sells nice reusable plastic lids, although not
all supermarkets have them in stock. Obviously, for storage only, not
canning, which I mention because Andy may be lurking, and he's....ya know.
Never mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Scott wrote:
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
>> to it.
>>
>> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
>> something to do with the metal in the can.
>>
>> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
>> hot...it has to cool down first.
>>
>> Scott

> I've stored things in the original can and I don't think I've died yet.
> People buy large cans of V-8 juice, grapefruit juice, etc. and leave
> the contents in the original container all the time. Usually if
> something is stored in the original can and it starts to get moldy or
> the can starts to get rusty then it's probably been in the refrigerator
> too long to begin with.
>
> I also put hot food in the refrigerator. The idea is to cool the food
> off as quickly as possible and it's going to cool off a lot faster in
> the refrigerator than just sitting out on the counter. The
> refrigerator has to work a little harder to pull the heat out but
> that's what it's there for. Within an hour or two the hot food is cold
> and with no adverse effects to the the food that's already in there.

The hot food thing is too vague to make statements about. Your hot food
might be a quart of soup. Someone else's might be 9 pounds of hot turkey
meat or a huge pot of soup. Your quart of soup won't heat up the other food
in the refrigerator as much as the pile of hot turkey meat.

Sadly, this whole thing revolves around common sense. Sad because there's
very little of that around these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Sadly, this whole thing revolves around common sense. Sad because there's
> very little of that around these days.

Common sense is an oxymoron..... ;-)

I have a 40 sq. ft. Hobart unit so it's a moot point.
I don't hesitate to put a gallon of hot soup in there.
It has an external temp. monitor and it does not even flinch.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meloneyd wrote:

> I know, but good thing I'm not a bacteria freak. I just put the food in
> the fridge whenever I feel like it. It's so weird too because I have
> OCD, but germs and stuff don't scare me at all. Haven't gotten sick off
> food in all my 22 years...

Count yourself lucky. I once had a dose of food poisoning from a
meal in the restaurant in the store where I worked. I barely made
it home, ran down the hall to the toilet and spent the next 5
hours puking my guts out. I am not talking just throwing up some
half digested food and being done with, or puking every hour or
so all evening. This was was bent over the porcelain puking and
retching and heaving for 5 hours steady, never even getting up.
I don't take chances with food any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

these are just some questions i've always had but never gotten a
straight answer.
i figure this will be the perfect place to get the answers i'm looking for.
i'm trying to learn how to be a good cook and pick up on useful tips.
a book i recently purchase 'how to break an egg' has help me a lot in
this area.

scott

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:29:18 -0600, Scott wrote:
>
>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
>> to it.

> Well, what *I* heard you're just posting here to see how many
>
> Here's another one.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> these are just some questions i've always had but never gotten a
> straight answer.
> i figure this will be the perfect place to get the answers i'm looking for.
> i'm trying to learn how to be a good cook and pick up on useful tips.
> a book i recently purchase 'how to break an egg' has help me a lot in
> this area.
>

> scott

There's nothing wrong with trying to learn.

--
"let he who hath never worn stone-washed jeans, cast the first stone."
- The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking
JMQ JMQ is offline

"Scott" > wrote in message

> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
> truth to it.

What did you hear about the log? Where are you wandering off to?

> you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...

Basically, you can do just about anything you want to in your own kitchen.
Whether or not it is a good idea is another question.
> something to do with the metal in the can.

So, use a plastic or cardboard can.

> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
> hot...it has to cool down first.

Yep. *You* should let it sit out on the counter overnight. That way it
won't be hot when you put it in the refrigerator.

> Scott

jillie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

THANK YOU!!
i just like to get everyones opinion. that's the best way to learn.

Ravenlynne wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> these are just some questions i've always had but never gotten a
>> straight answer.
>> i figure this will be the perfect place to get the answers i'm looking
>> for.
>> i'm trying to learn how to be a good cook and pick up on useful tips.
>> a book i recently purchase 'how to break an egg' has help me a lot in
>> this area.
>>

>> scott
>>

> There's nothing wrong with trying to learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any
>> truth to it.

> What did you hear about the log? Where are you wandering off to?

i thought my spell checker will be smart enough to know what i meant to
say

>> also i heard you can't store something in the refrigerator while it's
>> hot...it has to cool down first.

> Yep. *You* should let it sit out on the counter overnight. That way it
> won't be hot when you put it in the refrigerator.

here's what lead me to my question,
one day at work we were eating pizza and i was about to put the pizza in
the fridge and someone
made a big deal because the pizza was still warm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> > i heard about this a log time ago and was wandering if there's any truth
> > to it.
> >
> > you can't store an open canned product in the refrigerator...
> > something to do with the metal in the can.

> I have heard this, too. According to my fuzzy memory, this practice can
> lead to botulism. I might be mis-remembering this, though.

Not bacterium... but the food may interact with the metal to cause an
electrolytic action that will give the food terrible metalic taste. Of
course if the opened tin of food is left long enough to rot then there
can be food poisoning from bacteria as well. It's a good idea to
transfer food to covered nonreactive containers but still there are
time limits regardless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote:
> > "Meloneyd" wrote

> >> Here is an article I found that says you shouldn't put hot food in the
> >> fridge because of bacteria. Also, you will waste energy.
> >>
> >> http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/B...e?OpenDocument

> > You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Yes, you could, but the theory is correct. The one thing scientists cannot
> determine is HOW MUCH hot stuff someone is putting in the refrigerator all
> at once. Without that information, neither the scientists nor you and I can
> make any hard and fast rules.

There are never any absolute hard and fast rules (everyone knows
someone who...) but there are definitely common sense rules for safe
food handling that are based on strict scientific fact... some are more
apt to gamble is all... sounds like you're just more likely to do
strange unprotected pecker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" wrote:
>> > "Meloneyd" wrote

>> > You can find plenty of articles to despute that, as well.
>> >
>> > nancy
>> >

>> Yes, you could, but the theory is correct. The one thing scientists
>> cannot
>> determine is HOW MUCH hot stuff someone is putting in the refrigerator
>> all
>> at once. Without that information, neither the scientists nor you and I
>> can
>> make any hard and fast rules.

> There are never any absolute hard and fast rules (everyone knows
> someone who...) but there are definitely common sense rules for safe
> food handling that are based on strict scientific fact... some are more
> apt to gamble is all... sounds like you're just more likely to do
> strange unprotected pecker.

I was about to say "You know what I meant", but I though better of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob wrote:

> I hate it when that happens.
>
> Especially when the porcelain has not been, shall we say, "tidied"
> recently. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Sometimes when you feel a little nausea and you would like to
puke and get it over with, that untidiness can be a bit of
motivation.