Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,alt.zen

Default So much for the myth of gentle chimpanzees

Not that there was much left of that myth, anyway.

"Chimpanzees will kill to conquer territory, study finds"
Los Angeles Times

Chimpanzees are willing to attack and kill chimps from neighboring
groups in an effort to expand their territory, according to scientists
who have studied a primate colony in Uganda for 10 years.

The chimp behavior could shed light on the evolutionary roots of human
cooperation, the researchers said in a study published online Monday in
the journal Current Biology. Other experts said it could help explain
the origins of human warfare.

Primatologists have long known that chimpanzees band together in
single-file lines to silently patrol the border between two communities.
If they come across an unfamiliar male, they will attack him with their
teeth, take turns jumping on his body and pull off his testicles. If
they encounter an unfamiliar female with a baby, they will rip it out of
her hands and kill it, sometimes cannibalizing the infant.

rest of story at
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,6055646.story

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,alt.zen

On Jun 21, 9:53*pm, "Fred C. Dobbs" >
wrote:
> Not that there was much left of that myth, anyway.
>
> "Chimpanzees will kill to conquer territory, study finds"
> Los Angeles Times
>
> Chimpanzees are willing to attack and kill chimps from neighboring
> groups in an effort to expand their territory, according to scientists
> who have studied a primate colony in Uganda for 10 years.
>
> The chimp behavior could shed light on the evolutionary roots of human
> cooperation, the researchers said in a study published online Monday in
> the journal Current Biology. Other experts said it could help explain
> the origins of human warfare.
>
> Primatologists have long known that chimpanzees band together in
> single-file lines to silently patrol the border between two communities.
> If they come across an unfamiliar male, they will attack him with their
> teeth, take turns jumping on his body and pull off his testicles. If
> they encounter an unfamiliar female with a baby, they will rip it out of
> her hands and kill it, sometimes cannibalizing the infant.

So Goo is saying we have more in common with animals than he lets on.
He's also saying that chimps are aware and anticipate.

So why are we using animals so cruelly if we are that closely related?

> rest of story athttp://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-chimps-20100622,0,6055646....
>
> --
> Any more lip out of you and I'll haul off and let you have it...if you
> know what's good for you, you won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,alt.zen

On 6/22/2010 4:22 AM, Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> On Jun 21, 9:53 pm, "Fred C. >
> wrote:
>> Not that there was much left of that myth, anyway.
>>
>> "Chimpanzees will kill to conquer territory, study finds"
>> Los Angeles Times
>>
>> Chimpanzees are willing to attack and kill chimps from neighboring
>> groups in an effort to expand their territory, according to scientists
>> who have studied a primate colony in Uganda for 10 years.
>>
>> The chimp behavior could shed light on the evolutionary roots of human
>> cooperation, the researchers said in a study published online Monday in
>> the journal Current Biology. Other experts said it could help explain
>> the origins of human warfare.
>>
>> Primatologists have long known that chimpanzees band together in
>> single-file lines to silently patrol the border between two communities.
>> If they come across an unfamiliar male, they will attack him with their
>> teeth, take turns jumping on his body and pull off his testicles. If
>> they encounter an unfamiliar female with a baby, they will rip it out of
>> her hands and kill it, sometimes cannibalizing the infant.

> So is saying we have more in common with animals than he lets on.

No.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,alt.zen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:53:09 -0700, Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

> Other experts said it could help explain the origins of human warfare.

While still other experts said it could explain the origins of experts.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,alt.zen

In article >, Zerkon >
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:53:09 -0700, Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
>
> > Other experts said it could help explain the origins of human warfare.

> While still other experts said it could explain the origins of experts.

You should mark some of your replies as Not Safe for Work. I burst into
laughter!