Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.

Buggershitdamn.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:29:26 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:23:23 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>for an hour!

>For a WHOLE hour? Patience is a virtue.....check back with them in
>three.

Wiseass ;-) Hey, IME with green split peas, they cook just fine in 45
minutes! OK, OK, I'll cool my jets.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:23:23 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>for an hour!

For a WHOLE hour? Patience is a virtue.....check back with them in
three.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.

An hour ain't long enough.

Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Only
thing I can think of is you don't have enough liquid. I always start
with a lot of liquid and cook partially covered, and then if towards
the end I think it will be too soupy I remove the lid and let it reduce
a bit. I don't like library paste pea soup anyway... if I can't slurp
it ain't fun to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

What do you have int here with them? Acidic things will keep them
crispy, as will baking soda (why you would have the latter in there is
beyond me, but I've heard some people do this so just checking).

One thing I've noticed is that they do turn to mush by the next day
after cooling down and being reheated. But that's when they were at
the al dente stage before cooling.

If your market doesn't have a high turnover of beans (I buy mine in the
areas with high Hispanic populations) age could be the problem.

maxine "i feel your pain' in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:35 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.

>An hour ain't long enough.
>
>Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
>difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Only
>thing I can think of is you don't have enough liquid. I always start
>with a lot of liquid and cook partially covered, and then if towards
>the end I think it will be too soupy I remove the lid and let it reduce
>a bit. I don't like library paste pea soup anyway... if I can't slurp
>it ain't fun to eat.

Ahhh, you're right, my mistake. I was thinking of my split pea soup
which cooks first for 45 minutes in water with a ham bone and then
another 45 minutes with the rest of the ingredients.

I'll be good now :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

I soak them in cold water in a bowl for an hour or so before cooking,
seems to get their attention to start softening <g>.

Cheers
Bronnie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:41 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.
>>
>> TammyM

>What do you have int here with them? Acidic things will keep them
>crispy, as will baking soda (why you would have the latter in there is
>beyond me, but I've heard some people do this so just checking).

Just water. My water's very hard though. Wonder if this would make a
diff?

>One thing I've noticed is that they do turn to mush by the next day
>after cooling down and being reheated. But that's when they were at
>the al dente stage before cooling.
>
>If your market doesn't have a high turnover of beans (I buy mine in the
>areas with high Hispanic populations) age could be the problem.

Oh my dear, you have no idea. My sister calls my 'hood "Little
Tiajuana"!

Thanks for "feeling my pain"!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Dec 2006 13:40:33 -0800, "Bronwyn" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.
>>
>> TammyM

>I soak them in cold water in a bowl for an hour or so before cooking,
>seems to get their attention to start softening <g>.

LOL! Bronnie I've never soaked split peas before but I just may have
to get their attention that way in future!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If there's anything acidic in the cooking liquid that could
be preventing them from getting tender.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:28:53 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Wiseass

Ok wiseass....DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE ANSWER
TOO! Two to three hours for a yellow pea is appropriate.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:11:46 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:28:53 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>Wiseass

>Ok wiseass....DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE ANSWER
>TOO! Two to three hours for a yellow pea is appropriate.
>
>Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Oh Ward, I was joking -- hence the winkie. I'm sorry if I offended
you.

Happy holidays back at you.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:22:08 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Happy holidays back at you.

>TammyM

Tammy...your apology is accepted. Sometimes, it is hard to interpret
"inflexion" and "motive" on this forum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

I made split pea soup last week with yellow peas and in about 2 hours
they were falling-apart cooked, and that's at relatively high altitude
(5800 ft.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boiling anything , holds temp below 210 F . Try baking .

All peas in cans have chemicals added .... I have not been able
to enjoy pea soup for 15 years ....

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't read the whole thread. Here are my comments anyway. When
slow simmering hard-to-soften beans, you will sometimes need to add
water. Boil the water in the tea kettle, then add and stir. Saves a
bunch of time. Also, every 30 minutes or so, raise the heat, and stir
like crazy the whole time you bring the pot of beans to a boil. Then
lower the heat again. You can cook them faster without scorching the
pan or paying such strict attention.

--Lia