Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Use for yellow split pea other than soup

I have a bag of yellow split peas, and was wondering if anyone might
have a suggestion for its use other than as soup. I have used mung
beans to make pancakes, and I was thinking I could probably do the
same thing with split peas. Or could you use them to make a dip, such
as hummus.

Thanks

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Jan 2007 13:24:08 -0800, "
> wrote:

>I have a bag of yellow split peas, and was wondering if anyone might
>have a suggestion for its use other than as soup. I have used mung
>beans to make pancakes, and I was thinking I could probably do the
>same thing with split peas. Or could you use them to make a dip, such
>as hummus.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tom

This was posted some time back by Tammy McNiff, and I have to tell you
this is really good. I am including the recipes for the spice
mixture that is used, plus the recipe for the rice.

Christine

Qorma
from Afghan Food and Cookery by Helen Saberi (MANY wonderful recipes
in this
book!!!)

There are many varied qormas in Afghanistan, some of them without
meat.
Instead of split peas, other pulses may be used (soaked overnight and
well
cooked before being added to the meat). Or substitute fresh
vegetables such
as potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, peas or green beans, all sliced or
diced,
added to the qorma when the meat is already tender and the sauce
thick, and
then cook until the vegetables are of the desired tenderness, adding a
little extra water if necessary.

6 tbs vegetable oil (don't skimp!)
4 medium onions, finely chopped
2 pounds chicken, cut up
1-2 tbs tomato puree (sauce -- I usually use more, I like it really
REALLY
saucy, like me :-)
2 oz yellow split peas
1 tsp char masala (recipe below) (I usually use more, to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper (again, I use more)
pinch red pepper (optional)
salt to taste

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry over medium to
high
heat, stirring frequently until golden brown and soft. Add th emeat
and fry
again until the meat and onions are well browned. Mix in the tomato
puree
and conitnue frying for a minute or two. Add 1/2 cup water, split
peas, and
the spices and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer
until the
meat is cooked and the split peas soft. Add a little more water if
necessary. The sauce should be thick and oily. Serve with chalau
(rice).

TammyM

Char Masala

Oh hell, I forgot to include the char masala recipe! The one I use is
2:1:1:1 cinnamon, cloves, ground cumin, and ground coriander. It's SO
GOOD!!! And yes, I always use chicken thighs. I remove the chicken
when
it's done, and let it cool, then I remove the meat from the bones. I
just
let the sauce simmer away until the yellow split peas are done.

Chalau Sof

Here's the recipe/method for rice from the book. Rice served in
Afghani
restaurants is much like that served in Indian restaurants -- somewhat
dry
and not sticky. I had never tried rice cooked this way and I like it
very
much. I hope you like it too -- TammyM

Chalua Sof
(Plain white long-grain rice)

1 lb (2.5 cups) white long-grain rice
salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp ground or whole cumin, or char masala

Wash the rice several times until the water remains clear. Soak the
rice in
water for a least half an hour, preferably long. Bring 5 cups water
to a
boil in a large pan. Add salt. Drain the rice and add it to the
boiling
water. Parboil the rice for 2-3 minutes. (If you overcook the rice
at this
stage, the grains will stick together.) Drain the rice in a large
sieve or
colander and then place the rice in a pan or casserole which has a
tightly
fitting lid. Mix the oil, 6 tablespoons water, the cumin and salt
together
and gently pour over the rice. Stir in carefully. Cover with the lid
and
either place in a preheated oven at 300F or over a low heat for 30-45
minutes. Serves 4 (serves a hell of a lot more than that by my
estimation!!!!!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 14:55:49 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On 2 Jan 2007 13:24:08 -0800, "
> wrote:
>
>>I have a bag of yellow split peas, and was wondering if anyone might
>>have a suggestion for its use other than as soup. I have used mung
>>beans to make pancakes, and I was thinking I could probably do the
>>same thing with split peas. Or could you use them to make a dip, such
>>as hummus.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Tom

>This was posted some time back by Tammy McNiff, and I have to tell you
>this is really good. I am including the recipes for the spice
>mixture that is used, plus the recipe for the rice.
>
>Christine
>
>Qorma
>from Afghan Food and Cookery by Helen Saberi (MANY wonderful recipes
>in this
>book!!!)

It warms my heart to see you posting about this, possibly my favorite
recipe of all time. Glad you like it! I keep tinkering with it to
suit my tastes.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Jan 2007 16:35:20 -0800, "Amanda" > wrote:

wrote:
>> I have a bag of yellow split peas, and was wondering if anyone might
>> have a suggestion for its use other than as soup. I have used mung
>> beans to make pancakes, and I was thinking I could probably do the
>> same thing with split peas. Or could you use them to make a dip, such
>> as hummus.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom

>I don't think yellow split speas would be good for hummus. Chana Dal
>might be. Yellow split peas form American store is not exactly the
>same as Chana dal.

Um. Some of us buy most of our legumes from ethnic stores, i.e.
Indian.

TammyM