FoodBanter.com

-   -   I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/108708-ive-been-cookingthese-yellow.html)

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:23 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.

Buggershitdamn.

TammyM

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:28 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:29:26 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:23:23 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>for an hour!

>For a WHOLE hour? Patience is a virtue.....check back with them in
>three.

Wiseass ;-) Hey, IME with green split peas, they cook just fine in 45
minutes! OK, OK, I'll cool my jets.

TammyM

Ward Abbott 03-12-2006 10:29 PM

Sheldon 03-12-2006 10:35 PM

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.

An hour ain't long enough.

Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Only
thing I can think of is you don't have enough liquid. I always start
with a lot of liquid and cook partially covered, and then if towards
the end I think it will be too soupy I remove the lid and let it reduce
a bit. I don't like library paste pea soup anyway... if I can't slurp
it ain't fun to eat.

maxine in ri 03-12-2006 10:35 PM

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

What do you have int here with them? Acidic things will keep them
crispy, as will baking soda (why you would have the latter in there is
beyond me, but I've heard some people do this so just checking).

One thing I've noticed is that they do turn to mush by the next day
after cooling down and being reheated. But that's when they were at
the al dente stage before cooling.

If your market doesn't have a high turnover of beans (I buy mine in the
areas with high Hispanic populations) age could be the problem.

maxine "i feel your pain' in ri

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:40 PM

On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:35 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.

>An hour ain't long enough.
>
>Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
>difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Only
>thing I can think of is you don't have enough liquid. I always start
>with a lot of liquid and cook partially covered, and then if towards
>the end I think it will be too soupy I remove the lid and let it reduce
>a bit. I don't like library paste pea soup anyway... if I can't slurp
>it ain't fun to eat.

Ahhh, you're right, my mistake. I was thinking of my split pea soup
which cooks first for 45 minutes in water with a ham bone and then
another 45 minutes with the rest of the ingredients.

I'll be good now :-)

TammyM

Bronwyn 03-12-2006 10:40 PM

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

I soak them in cold water in a bowl for an hour or so before cooking,
seems to get their attention to start softening <g>.

Cheers
Bronnie

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:41 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:41 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.
>>
>> TammyM

>What do you have int here with them? Acidic things will keep them
>crispy, as will baking soda (why you would have the latter in there is
>beyond me, but I've heard some people do this so just checking).

Just water. My water's very hard though. Wonder if this would make a
diff?

>One thing I've noticed is that they do turn to mush by the next day
>after cooling down and being reheated. But that's when they were at
>the al dente stage before cooling.
>
>If your market doesn't have a high turnover of beans (I buy mine in the
>areas with high Hispanic populations) age could be the problem.

Oh my dear, you have no idea. My sister calls my 'hood "Little
Tiajuana"!

Thanks for "feeling my pain"!

TammyM

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:41 PM

On 3 Dec 2006 13:40:33 -0800, "Bronwyn" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.
>>
>> TammyM

>I soak them in cold water in a bowl for an hour or so before cooking,
>seems to get their attention to start softening <g>.

LOL! Bronnie I've never soaked split peas before but I just may have
to get their attention that way in future!

TammyM

Christine Dabney 03-12-2006 10:44 PM

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:40:13 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:35 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>>Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
>>difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

>Ahhh, you're right, my mistake. I was thinking of my split pea soup
>which cooks first for 45 minutes in water with a ham bone and then
>another 45 minutes with the rest of the ingredients.
>
>I'll be good now :-)
>
>TammyM

Be good and have a Delilah...since we have all been talking about
cocktails. Can't let those Meyer lemons go to waste while you're
waiting for the peas to soften.. ;)

Christine

ravenlynne[_1_] 03-12-2006 10:50 PM

TammyM wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:29:26 -0500, Ward Abbott >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:23:23 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>>
>>> for an hour!

>> For a WHOLE hour? Patience is a virtue.....check back with them in
>> three.

> Wiseass ;-) Hey, IME with green split peas, they cook just fine in 45
> minutes! OK, OK, I'll cool my jets.
>
> TammyM

I bought a prepackaged "Tuscan bean and chicken" soup mix at Harry and
David that was mostly split peas and it took longer than an hour, and
the peas were still a bit....crisp. Soup was yummy though...

--

Class oozes out of my every orifice. - Harry Dresden

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 11:09 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:44:31 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:40:13 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On 3 Dec 2006 13:35:35 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>>>Yellow split peas cook in the same time as green split peas, no
>>>difference. I usually simmer them very low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

>>Ahhh, you're right, my mistake. I was thinking of my split pea soup
>>which cooks first for 45 minutes in water with a ham bone and then
>>another 45 minutes with the rest of the ingredients.
>>
>>I'll be good now :-)
>>
>>TammyM

>Be good and have a Delilah...since we have all been talking about
>cocktails. Can't let those Meyer lemons go to waste while you're
>waiting for the peas to soften.. ;)

LOL! Well it's 5pm somewhere in the world....

:-)

TammyM

Steve Pope 03-12-2006 11:11 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

If there's anything acidic in the cooking liquid that could
be preventing them from getting tender.

Steve

Ward Abbott 03-12-2006 11:11 PM

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:28:53 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Wiseass

Ok wiseass....DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE ANSWER
TOO! Two to three hours for a yellow pea is appropriate.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

TammyM[_1_] 03-12-2006 11:22 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:11:46 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:28:53 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>Wiseass

>Ok wiseass....DON'T ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE ANSWER
>TOO! Two to three hours for a yellow pea is appropriate.
>
>Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Oh Ward, I was joking -- hence the winkie. I'm sorry if I offended
you.

Happy holidays back at you.

TammyM

Ward Abbott 03-12-2006 11:43 PM

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:22:08 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>Happy holidays back at you.

>TammyM

Tammy...your apology is accepted. Sometimes, it is hard to interpret
"inflexion" and "motive" on this forum.

TammyM[_1_] 04-12-2006 12:06 AM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:43:25 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:22:08 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>Happy holidays back at you.

>>TammyM

>Tammy...your apology is accepted. Sometimes, it is hard to interpret
>"inflexion" and "motive" on this forum.

I'm not a flaming kinda gal :-) I prefer to flambe as is fitting for
this ng!

And just prove you right, it's 2.5 hours and they're still slightly
crunchy! Oi. Note to self: begin cooking yellow split peas WELL in
advance.

TammyM

Puester 04-12-2006 12:12 AM

TammyM wrote:
> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

I made split pea soup last week with yellow peas and in about 2 hours
they were falling-apart cooked, and that's at relatively high altitude
(5800 ft.)

gloria p

werty 04-12-2006 03:23 AM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

Boiling anything , holds temp below 210 F . Try baking .

All peas in cans have chemicals added .... I have not been able
to enjoy pea soup for 15 years ....

Omelet 04-12-2006 11:19 AM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

In article >,
(TammyM) wrote:

> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>
> Buggershitdamn.
>
> TammyM

Pressure cooker.
20 - 25 minutes.

Won't even matter how old they are.

Minimum of 2 parts liquid to 1 part peas.

Works every time......

What altitude do you live at?

I think that's the main reason mom learned (and taught me) to use a
pressure cooker. We lived at 8,000 ft. for awhile.

Water does not boil hot enough at that altitude to make a decent soup.
Boiling eggs takes forever.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

TammyM[_1_] 04-12-2006 04:18 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:19:07 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> (TammyM) wrote:
>
>> for an hour! And they're STILL crunchy. WTF? To what legume
>> god(dess) must I pray for these suckers to get fully cooked? They
>> aren't THAT old. Well. Hmmm. How do I know that? I don't. I know
>> that I bought them within the last 6 months and they could've been on
>> the shelf for months, nay, years before that. Will they ever cook or
>> am I just needlessly using gas on a lost cause.
>>
>> Buggershitdamn.
>>
>> TammyM

>Pressure cooker.
>20 - 25 minutes.
>
>Won't even matter how old they are.
>
>Minimum of 2 parts liquid to 1 part peas.
>
>Works every time......
>
>What altitude do you live at?
>
>I think that's the main reason mom learned (and taught me) to use a
>pressure cooker. We lived at 8,000 ft. for awhile.
>
>Water does not boil hot enough at that altitude to make a decent soup.
>Boiling eggs takes forever.

My PC manual instructs to never cook split peas in it -- something
about the foaming action I think?

I live near/at sea level.

They never cooked. After 4 hours, they were still crunchy. I just
gave up.

TammyM

Julia Altshuler 04-12-2006 07:36 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

I haven't read the whole thread. Here are my comments anyway. When
slow simmering hard-to-soften beans, you will sometimes need to add
water. Boil the water in the tea kettle, then add and stir. Saves a
bunch of time. Also, every 30 minutes or so, raise the heat, and stir
like crazy the whole time you bring the pot of beans to a boil. Then
lower the heat again. You can cook them faster without scorching the
pan or paying such strict attention.

--Lia

Omelet 04-12-2006 07:40 PM

(TammyM) wrote:

> My PC manual instructs to never cook split peas in it -- something
> about the foaming action I think?
>
> I live near/at sea level.
>
> They never cooked. After 4 hours, they were still crunchy. I just
> gave up.
>
> TammyM

I've never had a problem cooking either beans or split peas in there if
done properly. Just don't overfill it! I never fill it more than 3/4
full when I make stock and it's best with beans and peas if you never
fill it more than 1/2 full.

The one time I blew a safety valve was with beans, but I did overfill it!

Soaking the split peas for 24 hours (with at least 2 water changes, use
a screen strainer in a bowl) might also solve the problem.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

aem 04-12-2006 07:44 PM

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> (TammyM) wrote:
>
> > My PC manual instructs to never cook split peas in it -- something
> > about the foaming action I think? [snip]

> I've never had a problem cooking either beans or split peas in there if
> done properly. Just don't overfill it! I never fill it more than 3/4
> full when I make stock and it's best with beans and peas if you never
> fill it more than 1/2 full.
>
> The one time I blew a safety valve was with beans, but I did overfill it!

[snip]

Bzzzzt! If the manual for her pressure cooker says never cook split
peas in it, then your experience is only relevant if you have the same
cooker, and if your safety engineers (and lawyers) have given you the
same advice that her manufacturer's have given them. -aem

Omelet 04-12-2006 09:06 PM

I've been cookingthese !*#$*!&$# yellow split peas...

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > (TammyM) wrote:
> >
> > > My PC manual instructs to never cook split peas in it -- something
> > > about the foaming action I think? [snip]

> > I've never had a problem cooking either beans or split peas in there if
> > done properly. Just don't overfill it! I never fill it more than 3/4
> > full when I make stock and it's best with beans and peas if you never
> > fill it more than 1/2 full.
> >
> > The one time I blew a safety valve was with beans, but I did overfill it!

> [snip]
>
> Bzzzzt! If the manual for her pressure cooker says never cook split
> peas in it, then your experience is only relevant if you have the same
> cooker, and if your safety engineers (and lawyers) have given you the
> same advice that her manufacturer's have given them. -aem

I have a 6 quart stainless steel presto.

I never read the manual. ;-)

I learned to use a pressure cooker from my mom and have used one all my
life. I'm 44 and started cooking when I was 4.

Mom blew a safety valve only once too when pressure cooking beef Lengua.
It curled up and blocked the stem.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.