Jeanne Ketterer

Default yellow split pea help

I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and they're still on the hard side. Is it my water? Is it a bad bag or the brand (Goya, which I've never had problems with, although I assume the product is same, just packaged differently for brands)?

Thanks much,

Jeanne
Julia Altshuler

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them
> overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and
> they're still on the hard side. Is it my water? Is it a bad bag or the
> brand (Goya, which I've never had problems with, although I assume the
> product is same, just packaged differently for brands)?

If the split peas are old, they'll take much longer to cook. It could
be a bad bag. My next bit of advice is controversial, but I've always
had better luck cooking beans in plain water, not broth of any kind.

--Lia

kalanamak

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften.

Possibly old. Try a pressure cooker.
blacksalt
Kevin_Sheehy

Jeanne Ketterer wrote (7/18/2005):

> I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and they're still on the hard side. Is it my water? Is it a bad bag or the brand (Goya, which I've never had problems with, although I assume the product is same, just packaged differently for brands)?

So, after an hour, they're still "on the hard side", which I take to
mean that they've started to soften but not as much as you'd like.

I don't soak over night. My simmering liquid is either water, broth or
broth diluted with water. Never made a difference. The peas were about
the way I liked them after about 1-1/2 hours, sometimes a little more.

jmcquown

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them
> overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and
> they're still on the hard side. Is it my water? Is it a bad bag or
> the brand (Goya, which I've never had problems with, although I
> assume the product is same, just packaged differently for brands)?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Jeanne

Soak them in water, drain and rinse them, put them in the pot and then
expect to slow simmer them at *least* 3-4 hours. Pre-soaking dried beans
and peas doesn't mean they will cook to tenderness quickly. It just means
you don't have to boil them for hours before you actually cook them for
whatever dish you have planned.

Jill

Jeanne Ketterer

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll try them again this weekend. I'll get another brand bag and do them for an hour. Maybe I'll have two pots going, the product I already have and a new bag.

Jeanne

"Jeanne Ketterer" > wrote in message om...
I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and they're still on the hard side. Is it my water? Is it a bad bag or the brand (Goya, which I've never had problems with, although I assume the product is same, just packaged differently for brands)?

Thanks much,

Jeanne
sf

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:42:03 GMT, Jeanne Ketterer wrote:

> Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll try them again this weekend. I'll get another brand bag and do them for an hour. Maybe I'll have two pots going, the product I already have and a new bag.

Why don't you give yourself more time, "just in case"? A soup like
that can wait if it finishes early.
Daniel Prince

"Jeanne Ketterer" > wrote:

>I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften. I've soaked them
>overnight, then simmered for a good 50 minutes in chicken broth and
>they're still on the hard side.

What I always do is bring a pot of water to a boil, drop the peas in
slowly so that the water stays at a boil. This makes the peas cook
much faster because it causes the starch grains burst. When the
peas are mostly soft, I smash them with a potato masher. I can
usually have them ready to eat in about 45 minutes.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.
Sheldon

Jeanne Ketterer wrote:
> I can't seem to get yellow split peas to soften.
> I've soaked them overnight

Don't.