Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Rec: Yellow Split Pea soup

My husband made this yesterday from what he called an old family
recipe. DH, our houseguest and myself ate 2 bowls each and very little
else.

Split-pea soup

2 cups split peas, green or yellow (he used yellow)
1 ham bone
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
3 large carrots, cut up1
½ cup coarsely chopped celery
¼ cups chopped parsley
2 clove garlic, minced
2 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sugar (could use Splinda)
1 teaspoon MSG
¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
1 ½ cup slivered ham

1. In 3 ½ quart kettle, combine peas, chicken broth, ham bone and 1
quart water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45
minutes.

2 Add ham bone and rest of ingredients except ham; simmer, covered 1 ½
hours.

3. Remove ham bone, and discard.

We had it with salad and fresh baked whole wheat flatbread's, says it
is good with cornbread too. I was surprised when he had another bowl
for breakfast this morning.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 > wrote:
: My husband made this yesterday from what he called an old family
: recipe. DH, our houseguest and myself ate 2 bowls each and very little
: else.

: Split-pea soup

: 2 cups split peas, green or yellow (he used yellow)
: 1 ham bone
: 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
: 3 large carrots, cut up1
: ? cup coarsely chopped celery
: ? cups chopped parsley
: 2 clove garlic, minced
: 2 bay leaf
: 1 teaspoon sugar (could use Splinda)
: 1 teaspoon MSG
: ? teaspoon salt or to taste
: ? teaspoon thyme
: ? teaspoon black pepper
: 3 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
: 1 ? cup slivered ham

: 1. In 3 ? quart kettle, combine peas, chicken broth, ham bone and 1
: quart water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45
: minutes.

: 2 Add ham bone and rest of ingredients except ham; simmer, covered 1 ?
: hours.

: 3. Remove ham bone, and discard.

: We had it with salad and fresh baked whole wheat flatbread's, says it
: is good with cornbread too. I was surprised when he had another bowl
: for breakfast this morning.

How were your bgs after 2 bowls of this? split peas spike me bacly,
althugh i can eat lentil soup if I make it with about half th lentils
called for in the recipe along with lots of other non-carby vegetables.

Wendy in NYC
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:47:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
wrote:

>Andrea2 > wrote:
>: My husband made this yesterday from what he called an old family
>: recipe. DH, our houseguest and myself ate 2 bowls each and very little
>: else.
>
>: Split-pea soup
>
>: 2 cups split peas, green or yellow (he used yellow)
>: 1 ham bone
>: 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
>: 3 large carrots, cut up1
>: ? cup coarsely chopped celery
>: ? cups chopped parsley
>: 2 clove garlic, minced
>: 2 bay leaf
>: 1 teaspoon sugar (could use Splinda)
>: 1 teaspoon MSG
>: ? teaspoon salt or to taste
>: ? teaspoon thyme
>: ? teaspoon black pepper
>: 3 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
>: 1 ? cup slivered ham
>
>: 1. In 3 ? quart kettle, combine peas, chicken broth, ham bone and 1
>: quart water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45
>: minutes.
>
>: 2 Add ham bone and rest of ingredients except ham; simmer, covered 1 ?
>: hours.
>
>: 3. Remove ham bone, and discard.
>
>: We had it with salad and fresh baked whole wheat flatbread's, says it
>: is good with cornbread too. I was surprised when he had another bowl
>: for breakfast this morning.
>
>How were your bgs after 2 bowls of this? split peas spike me bacly,
>althugh i can eat lentil soup if I make it with about half th lentils
>called for in the recipe along with lots of other non-carby vegetables.
>
>Wendy in NYC

I use insulin so carbs are no problem providing I can correctly
estimate the carbs before I inject. DH uses Starlix, he said his test
was ok, I didn't check because he don't like me checking up on him.

I estimated the soup to be 15-20 carbs/1 cup serving. That worked for
me with no harmful spike. A large part of the carbs in split-peas is
fiber.

Andrea2
mother, Type 2, MDI insulin
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> How were your bgs after 2 bowls of this? split peas spike me bacly,
> althugh i can eat lentil soup if I make it with about half th lentils
> called for in the recipe along with lots of other non-carby vegetables.

I don't think I could eat much of this either. I do love peas and pea soup.
Peas, I can seem to eat with no problem provided I eat only one serving. I
can eat more raw peas than cooked ones. Same with lentils.

Alas, nobody else in my house likes pea soup. So I make do every once in a
while with a can of soup, but I can eat only a few bites of it.