Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Milk powder replacement in ice cream recipes

I added instant skim milk powder (30g / input cup of heavy cream) to a
basic custard ice cream recipe, and it did make the ice cream to feel
"heavier", a very desirable result IMHO. But it also added a bit of
undesirable taste, kind of pseudo-salty. I am wondering, is there some
other type of diary powder that can give the ice cream more body
without adding much flavor ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ptich wrote:
> I added instant skim milk powder (30g / input cup of heavy cream) to a
> basic custard ice cream recipe, and it did make the ice cream to feel
> "heavier", a very desirable result IMHO. But it also added a bit of
> undesirable taste, kind of pseudo-salty. I am wondering, is there some
> other type of diary powder that can give the ice cream more body
> without adding much flavor ?

Try using unflavored gelatin. I usually use 1 1/2 envelopes (.25 oz.
size) in a gallon of ice cream. One envelope isn't quite enough and
two envelopes makes it too thick in my opinion. The gelatin has to be
soaked in a cold liquid first to soften it and then heated to dissolve
it. If you add gelatin directly to a hot liquid it will clump up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's not a dairy powder, but guar gum is used by many commercial ice
cream manufacturers as a thickener. It also adds fiber, thus making
your ice cream "healthy"! :-)

You said that this is a "basic custard" ice cream recipe, suggesting
that it contains egg and is cooked. Have you tried adding a bit more
egg and/or cooking it a bit longer to thicken it up?

Bob
====================
In article . com>,
says...
> I added instant skim milk powder (30g / input cup of heavy cream) to a
> basic custard ice cream recipe, and it did make the ice cream to feel
> "heavier", a very desirable result IMHO. But it also added a bit of
> undesirable taste, kind of pseudo-salty. I am wondering, is there some
> other type of diary powder that can give the ice cream more body
> without adding much flavor ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks Bob. The question is - where can I buy guar gum ? Is it
available for retail customers ?

As far as increasing egg yolk content, I am actually trying to keep it
down, because I am trying to keep ice cream taste (and color, too)
closer to sweetened diary cream. BTW, all ice cream custard recipes
mention "eggs", but I always assumed it should be "egg yolks" - am I
correct ?

suggested to use unflavored gelatin. I am actually
using a bit of it (though less than 1.5 bags / gallon), but I think it
has a different effect - it slows down ice cream melting, and makes it
keep the original scoop shape longer , but it does not add any
"body", or density.

M. Ptich

yetanotherBob wrote:
> It's not a dairy powder, but guar gum is used by many commercial ice
> cream manufacturers as a thickener. It also adds fiber, thus making
> your ice cream "healthy"! :-)
>
> You said that this is a "basic custard" ice cream recipe, suggesting
> that it contains egg and is cooked. Have you tried adding a bit more
> egg and/or cooking it a bit longer to thicken it up?
>
> Bob
> ====================
> In article . com>,

says...
> > I added instant skim milk powder (30g / input cup of heavy cream) to a
> > basic custard ice cream recipe, and it did make the ice cream to feel
> > "heavier", a very desirable result IMHO. But it also added a bit of
> > undesirable taste, kind of pseudo-salty. I am wondering, is there some
> > other type of diary powder that can give the ice cream more body
> > without adding much flavor ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've gotten guar gum at markets that cater to vegan/vegetarian folks and
others on restricted diets. I never checked into it, but just assumed
that it's used as a thickener in vegetarian and/or non-gluten cooking,
possibly in place of gelatin or other animal-based products, or wheat
gluten. I haven't seen it in the average grocery store.

I'm sure it's available via the web in consumer quantities. Or if you'd
like to get your hands on some right away, it is (I believe) the sole
ingredient of a product called BeneFiber, which is marketed as a fiber
source for people who need to augment their intake to "improve
motility", as the saying goes.

Some ice cream and custard recipes specify the use of yolks only, but I
typically use the whole egg for ice cream, just for the sake of
simplicity. You may have to be a bit more attentive when cooking a
mixture with whole eggs, but I've not had any problems.

Most of my ice cream concoctions are pretty strongly-flavored, I guess,
with chocolate and/or vanilla plus dark rum or an appropriate liqueur,
and typically have various kinds of fruit and/or nuts added. I suppose
all these additives could disguise an overly "egg-y" flavor from the
whites that could come through with more delicate flavors and textures.
I haven't experimented with that, either using the whole egg or no egg
at all.

Bob
==============================
In article . com>,
says...
> Thanks Bob. The question is - where can I buy guar gum ? Is it
> available for retail customers ?
>
> As far as increasing egg yolk content, I am actually trying to keep it
> down, because I am trying to keep ice cream taste (and color, too)
> closer to sweetened diary cream. BTW, all ice cream custard recipes
> mention "eggs", but I always assumed it should be "egg yolks" - am I
> correct ?

suggested to use unflavored gelatin. I am actually
> using a bit of it (though less than 1.5 bags / gallon), but I think it
> has a different effect - it slows down ice cream melting, and makes it
> keep the original scoop shape longer , but it does not add any
> "body", or density.
>
> M. Ptich
>
> yetanotherBob wrote:
> > It's not a dairy powder, but guar gum is used by many commercial ice
> > cream manufacturers as a thickener. It also adds fiber, thus making
> > your ice cream "healthy"! :-)
> >
> > You said that this is a "basic custard" ice cream recipe, suggesting
> > that it contains egg and is cooked. Have you tried adding a bit more
> > egg and/or cooking it a bit longer to thicken it up?
> >
> > Bob
> > In article . com>,

says...