Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] djs0302@aol.com is offline

Default Milk powder replacement in ice cream recipes

Ptich wrote:
> I added instant skim milk powder (30g / input cup of heavy cream) to a
> basic custard ice cream recipe, and it did make the ice cream to feel
> "heavier", a very desirable result IMHO. But it also added a bit of
> undesirable taste, kind of pseudo-salty. I am wondering, is there some
> other type of diary powder that can give the ice cream more body
> without adding much flavor ?

Try using unflavored gelatin. I usually use 1 1/2 envelopes (.25 oz.
size) in a gallon of ice cream. One envelope isn't quite enough and
two envelopes makes it too thick in my opinion. The gelatin has to be
soaked in a cold liquid first to soften it and then heated to dissolve
it. If you add gelatin directly to a hot liquid it will clump up.