Old 18-10-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
with two of my favorite recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Crockpot
Sandwiches Signature Dishes

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef broth -- (14.5 oz. can)
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine broth and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into
a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large
saucepan. Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

Cuisine:
"American - Midwest"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Hershey's
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium
speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10
to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to
350F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool
completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
Heat oven to 350F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350F.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
cups. Heat oven to 350F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist
and delicious.

Old 18-10-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
[...]

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

Old 18-10-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
[...]

Duhhh- I meant the beef- I have made that cake before, and it is
really moist and good!

Old 18-10-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

I'm not Carol... but it's not only as good as it sounds, but even better.
I have definitely made it and enjoyed it very, very much.

Old 18-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Oct 2006 15:37:08 -0700, "merryb" wrote:

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

It is an OK cake....but this is marvelous...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Died-And-Went-To-Heaven Chocolate Cake

cakes, chocolate, desserts

By: Barb Schaller

1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs; beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup hot strong black coffee

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 12 cup bundt pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa, baking
powder,
baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and
vanilla.
Beat 2 minutes with electric mixer until blended. Whisk in hot coffee
and
mix until smooth. Batter will be very thin, almost soupy, so don't be
alarmed! Pour batter into pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until done.

If you like, you can pour over an icing made from:

1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. buttermilk or low-fat milk

Combine ingredients and pour over cooled cake.

Yield: 8 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Old 19-10-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
with two of my favorite recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

I'll vouch for the beef sandwiches -- I think I might have some frozen -
enough for maybe a sammich or two for Rob while I'm gone. And the
chocolate cake sounds mighty fine. I haven't made cupcakes in a hunnert
years! Those would be good to have in the freezer for him, too.
Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Old 19-10-2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
with two of my favorite recipes.

snipped
NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist
and delicious.

Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Old 19-10-2006, 03:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. G Feels good when
that happens.

Carol
Old 19-10-2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:18:25 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)

Sammich:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2cqmdl4.jpg

Cake:
(it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg

I think I have to bake another cake tonight. G
Old 19-10-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. G Feels good when
that happens.

Carol

You FORGOT the garlic????? My, my, my!

Old 19-10-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:04:21 GMT, "Chris Marksberry"
wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. G Feels good when
that happens.

Carol

You FORGOT the garlic????? My, my, my!

Some blame the memory thing on menopause. G
Old 19-10-2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Ward Abbott wrote:

On 18 Oct 2006 15:37:08 -0700, "merryb" wrote:

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

It is an OK cake....but this is marvelous...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Died-And-Went-To-Heaven Chocolate Cake

cakes, chocolate, desserts

By: Barb Schaller

1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs; beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup hot strong black coffee

Holy cow, Ward! I haven't made this in a while and when I read the
Hershey recipe that Dams posted, "thin batter" rang a bell but I didn't
connect it to the recipe I posted. BTW, it's "my" recipe only because I
posted it (1998 looks like the first time I posted) -- I got it from a
friend at work who got it from Eating Well magazine. As I look at the
recipe, I wonder if Eating Well deemed it low cal because they reduced
the oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. :-) If anyone has the magazine
around, it's from the April 1995 issue, page 14. I wish I knew more
about what they started with before they modified it to this.

The recipe and a pic (not my pic, I'm pretty sure) are on the rfc
unofficial official website he http://tinyurl.com/yclvp6

--
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 10/13/2006
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Old 19-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)

Sammich:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2cqmdl4.jpg

Cake:
(it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg

I think I have to bake another cake tonight. G

Take 1/2 cup each flour and brown sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, 1/2-3/4 stick of butter, and
some mini chocolate chips and make a streusel to top that cake. You'll be stunned how
good it is.

kimberly

Old 19-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:31:22 -0700, "Nexis" wrote:

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message
.. .
Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

Cake:
(it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg

I think I have to bake another cake tonight. G

Take 1/2 cup each flour and brown sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, 1/2-3/4 stick of butter, and
some mini chocolate chips and make a streusel to top that cake. You'll be stunned how
good it is.

That sounds just plain evil! I'll do it! Thanks, Kimberly. )
Old 19-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
with two of my favorite recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

Color me wrong, but I thought authentic Chicago Beef Sandwiches had to
have the peppers....no?

N.