FoodBanter.com

-   -   I Made Them All By Myself!!!! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/104262-i-made-them-all.html)

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 18-10-2006 11:31 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
call it au jus.

Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
cocoa powder residue.

I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
with two of my favorite recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Crockpot
Sandwiches Signature Dishes

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef broth -- (14.5 oz. can)
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine broth and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into
a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large
saucepan. Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

Cuisine:
"American - Midwest"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Hershey's
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium
speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10
to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to
350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool
completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist
and delicious.

merryb 18-10-2006 11:37 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> [...]
>
> THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
> Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
> minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
> completely. Frost.
>
> BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F.
> Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
> remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
>
> CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
> cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
> 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
>
> Cuisine:
> "American"
> Source:
> "http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

merryb 18-10-2006 11:38 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> [...]
>
> THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
> Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
> minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
> completely. Frost.
>
> BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F.
> Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
> remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
>
> CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
> cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
> 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
>
> Cuisine:
> "American"
> Source:
> "http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist

Duhhh- I meant the beef- I have made that cake before, and it is
really moist and good!

Chris Marksberry 18-10-2006 11:43 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

I'm not Carol... but it's not only as good as it sounds, but even better.
I have definitely made it and enjoyed it very, very much.

Ward Abbott 18-10-2006 11:49 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On 18 Oct 2006 15:37:08 -0700, "merryb" > wrote:

>I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
>it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

It is an OK cake....but this is marvelous...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Died-And-Went-To-Heaven Chocolate Cake

cakes, chocolate, desserts

By: Barb Schaller

1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs; beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup hot strong black coffee

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 12 cup bundt pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa, baking
powder,
baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and
vanilla.
Beat 2 minutes with electric mixer until blended. Whisk in hot coffee
and
mix until smooth. Batter will be very thin, almost soupy, so don't be
alarmed! Pour batter into pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until done.

If you like, you can pour over an icing made from:

1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. buttermilk or low-fat milk

Combine ingredients and pour over cooled cake.

Yield: 8 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Melba's Jammin' 19-10-2006 02:22 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
> call it au jus.
>
> Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
> Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
> a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
> cocoa powder residue.
>
> I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
> with two of my favorite recipes.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

I'll vouch for the beef sandwiches -- I think I might have some frozen -
enough for maybe a sammich or two for Rob while I'm gone. And the
chocolate cake sounds mighty fine. I haven't made cupcakes in a hunnert
years! Those would be good to have in the freezer for him, too.
Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_7_] 19-10-2006 03:18 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
> call it au jus.
>
> Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
> Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
> a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
> cocoa powder residue.
>
> I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
> with two of my favorite recipes.

<snipped>
> NOTES : The batter is very, very thin. The cake is very, very moist
> and delicious.

Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 19-10-2006 03:20 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On 18 Oct 2006 15:37:08 -0700, "merryb" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

>I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
>it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. <G> Feels good when
that happens.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 19-10-2006 04:03 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:18:25 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
>> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
>> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
>> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
>> call it au jus.
>>
>> Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
>> Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
>> a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
>> cocoa powder residue.

>Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)

Sammich:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2cqmdl4.jpg

Cake:
(it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg

I think I have to bake another cake tonight. <G>

Chris Marksberry 19-10-2006 04:04 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >>
> >> * Exported from MasterCook *
> >>
> >> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

> >I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
> >it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

> Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
> I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
> us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. <G> Feels good when
> that happens.
>
> Carol

You FORGOT the garlic????? My, my, my!

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 19-10-2006 04:16 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:04:21 GMT, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:

>> >I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
>> >it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

>> Veddy-veddy good. Even though I forgot the garlic this time. I think
>> I'll have to start making it with a whole side of beef. With four of
>> us in the house, it vanishes as if by magic. <G> Feels good when
>> that happens.
>>
>> Carol

>You FORGOT the garlic????? My, my, my!

Some blame the memory thing on menopause. <G>

Melba's Jammin' 19-10-2006 03:32 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2006 15:37:08 -0700, "merryb" > wrote:
>
> >I've seen this recipe a number of times now, and am planning on making
> >it sometime soon. So, how was it? As good as it sounds?

> It is an OK cake....but this is marvelous...
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Died-And-Went-To-Heaven Chocolate Cake
>
> cakes, chocolate, desserts
>

> By: Barb Schaller
>

> 1 3/4 cups flour
> 1 cup sugar
> 3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
> 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
> 1 cup brown sugar
> 2 large eggs; beaten
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil
> 2 tsp. vanilla
> 1 cup hot strong black coffee

Holy cow, Ward! I haven't made this in a while and when I read the
Hershey recipe that Dams posted, "thin batter" rang a bell but I didn't
connect it to the recipe I posted. BTW, it's "my" recipe only because I
posted it (1998 looks like the first time I posted) -- I got it from a
friend at work who got it from Eating Well magazine. As I look at the
recipe, I wonder if Eating Well deemed it low cal because they reduced
the oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. :-) If anyone has the magazine
around, it's from the April 1995 issue, page 14. I wish I knew more
about what they started with before they modified it to this.

The recipe and a pic (not my pic, I'm pretty sure) are on the rfc
unofficial official website he http://tinyurl.com/yclvp6

--
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 10/13/2006
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Nexis 19-10-2006 05:31 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:18:25 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>>
>>> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
>>> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
>>> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
>>> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
>>> call it au jus.
>>>
>>> Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
>>> Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
>>> a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
>>> cocoa powder residue.

>>Sounds good! Now where are the jpegs? ;-)

> Sammich:
> http://i11.tinypic.com/2cqmdl4.jpg
>
> Cake:
> (it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
> http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg
>
> I think I have to bake another cake tonight. <G>

Take 1/2 cup each flour and brown sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, 1/2-3/4 stick of butter, and
some mini chocolate chips and make a streusel to top that cake. You'll be stunned how
good it is.

kimberly

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 19-10-2006 05:57 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:31:22 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Cake:
>> (it's not frosted, it's just that moist - and there's not much left!)
>> http://i11.tinypic.com/4gfd0th.jpg
>>
>> I think I have to bake another cake tonight. <G>

>Take 1/2 cup each flour and brown sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, 1/2-3/4 stick of butter, and
>some mini chocolate chips and make a streusel to top that cake. You'll be stunned how
>good it is.

That sounds just plain evil! I'll do it! Thanks, Kimberly. :o)

Nancy2 19-10-2006 05:57 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
> call it au jus.
>
> Washed it all down with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate
> Cake, sans frosting. This, too, I made all by myself, and baked it in
> a 9x13" pan in my very own Easy Bake Oven. You can check my mixer for
> cocoa powder residue.
>
> I'm thinking that last sabbatical was a mighty fine idea. I leave you
> with two of my favorite recipes.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches

Color me wrong, but I thought authentic Chicago Beef Sandwiches had to
have the peppers....no?

N.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 19-10-2006 05:59 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On 19 Oct 2006 09:57:37 -0700, "Nancy2" >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> This is what we had for dinner. I really, truly made them all by
>> myself. Buttered and toasted the rolls, put on some Provolone cheese,
>> meat in its broth, and mild pepper rings (the store was out of
>> pepperoncini). Dipped the sandwiches in the broth. I hesitate to
>> call it au jus.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian (Chicago) Beef Sandwiches
>>

>Color me wrong, but I thought authentic Chicago Beef Sandwiches had to
>have the peppers....no?

Yeah, they do, but some people leave them off. They're included in my
recipe. And on my personal sandwiches. Crash doesn't care for them.

Lou Decruss[_1_] 19-10-2006 09:59 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:59:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>>Color me wrong, but I thought authentic Chicago Beef Sandwiches had to
>>have the peppers....no?

>Yeah, they do, but some people leave them off. They're included in my
>recipe. And on my personal sandwiches. Crash doesn't care for them.

According to the picture it wasn't authentic but I'd eat it in a
heartbeat!!! Authentic is a good thing to know, but it's best to eat
what you like. Good for you!

Lou

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 20-10-2006 12:44 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:59:26 -0500, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:59:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>>Color me wrong, but I thought authentic Chicago Beef Sandwiches had to
>>>have the peppers....no?

>>Yeah, they do, but some people leave them off. They're included in my
>>recipe. And on my personal sandwiches. Crash doesn't care for them.

>According to the picture it wasn't authentic but I'd eat it in a
>heartbeat!!! Authentic is a good thing to know, but it's best to eat
>what you like. Good for you!

I live in Minnesota, and have visited Chicago twice. Can you tell me
what would make my sandwiches authentic? If I like the sounds of it,
I just may change ...

Carol

sf[_3_] 20-10-2006 04:16 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:22:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Those would be good to have in the freezer for him, too.
>Thanks.

Is he the type who actually takes what you have made for him *out* of
the freezer and reheats it? I gave that up years ago and just made
mine fend for himself because I was just wasting my time making frozen
meals.
--
See return address to reply by email

Mr Libido Incognito 20-10-2006 04:41 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

wrote on 19 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Is he the type who actually takes what you have made for him *out* of
> the freezer and reheats it? I gave that up years ago and just made
> mine fend for himself because I was just wasting my time making frozen
> meals.
> --
> See return address to reply by email

Hell, I put stuff in the freeze for ME to take...but I rarely do.

Lou Decruss[_1_] 27-10-2006 10:15 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:44:51 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:59:26 -0500, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:

>>>Yeah, they do, but some people leave them off. They're included in my
>>>recipe. And on my personal sandwiches. Crash doesn't care for them.

>>According to the picture it wasn't authentic but I'd eat it in a
>>heartbeat!!! Authentic is a good thing to know, but it's best to eat
>>what you like. Good for you!

>I live in Minnesota, and have visited Chicago twice. Can you tell me
>what would make my sandwiches authentic? If I like the sounds of it,
>I just may change ...
>
>Carol

Carol,

Sorry I took so long to respond. Usenet time is a luxury I can't
always afford. I hope you didn't take my comment as bashing you.
Your sandwich looks great. If the people you cook for love them I'm
not sure why you want to change.

To answer your query:

To make it "Chicago" style forget the butter. The rolls looked kinda
"flat" You would need a puffy-chewy-crusty bread. Usually places in
Chicago use bread from bakeries that's delivered in loaves about 3
foot long and cut in 6 to 12 inch portions. If cheese is added (not
really common) it's to top the sandwich and broiled until melted. A
"wet" sandwich is not dipped but rather ladled with the juice.
(before cheese if used) Merzetta pepper rings didn't show up on a
goggle search so I'm not sure exactly how they're made. Vinegar is
most likely the main ingredient. Chicago style giardiniera is
sometimes cured in vinegar then steeped in soybean or olive oil with
spices added in the latter step. For those who prefer "sweet"
peppers, banana peppers are cooked in oil until soft. Very simple.
Green peppers will work too as it seems banana peppers are hard to
find in other parts of the world.

English roasts are on sale for 2.19 a pound so we're going to grab a
few tonight for next weekends getaway with friends. I make mine
similar to yours but I use larger quantities of spices. We're all
garlic freaks so I'm going to attempt to inject the roast with roasted
garlic. I've wanted to do this for awhile so we'll see how it turns
out.

AGAIN!!!! Your sandwich looks fine!

Here's what you'd get in Chicago:

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...talianBeef.jpg

Lou

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 28-10-2006 12:04 AM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:15:50 GMT, Lou Decruss >
wrote:

>Carol,
>
>Sorry I took so long to respond. Usenet time is a luxury I can't
>always afford. I hope you didn't take my comment as bashing you.
>Your sandwich looks great. If the people you cook for love them I'm
>not sure why you want to change.

Just willing to explore possibilities. We do love those suckers!

>To answer your query:
>
>To make it "Chicago" style forget the butter. The rolls looked kinda
>"flat" You would need a puffy-chewy-crusty bread. Usually places in
>Chicago use bread from bakeries that's delivered in loaves about 3
>foot long and cut in 6 to 12 inch portions. If cheese is added (not
>really common) it's to top the sandwich and broiled until melted. A
>"wet" sandwich is not dipped but rather ladled with the juice.
>(before cheese if used) Merzetta pepper rings didn't show up on a
>goggle search so I'm not sure exactly how they're made. Vinegar is
>most likely the main ingredient. Chicago style giardiniera is
>sometimes cured in vinegar then steeped in soybean or olive oil with
>spices added in the latter step. For those who prefer "sweet"
>peppers, banana peppers are cooked in oil until soft. Very simple.
>Green peppers will work too as it seems banana peppers are hard to
>find in other parts of the world.

This was the first time I ever buttered and toasted a bun. They're
usually plain. The pepper rings we have are most likely banana pepper
rings. I usually go with pepperoncini, but this particular store
didn't have any. I won't ever eat my sandwiches "wet." One of our
roommates did it that way, but I don't care for soggy bread. No, I
*hate* soggy bread. Yeah, that's better.

>English roasts are on sale for 2.19 a pound so we're going to grab a
>few tonight for next weekends getaway with friends. I make mine
>similar to yours but I use larger quantities of spices. We're all
>garlic freaks so I'm going to attempt to inject the roast with roasted
>garlic. I've wanted to do this for awhile so we'll see how it turns
>out.

Let me know how that works out! Sounds like it could be killer-good!

>AGAIN!!!! Your sandwich looks fine!

Thankee. :D

>Here's what you'd get in Chicago:
>
>http://content.answers.com/main/cont...talianBeef.jpg

Ooooooh! Soggy! I couldn't eat that. Might pick the meat out and
eat that, though.

Thanks, Lou!
Carol

Dan Abel 04-11-2006 08:10 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:44:51 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:

> >I live in Minnesota, and have visited Chicago twice. Can you tell me
> >what would make my sandwiches authentic? If I like the sounds of it,

> (before cheese if used) Merzetta pepper rings didn't show up on a

Maybe "Mezzetta"?

http://www.mezzetta.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=
peppers

This is a company not far from us. I suspect that shipping would be
expensive, so I would suggest just using whatever kind of peppers you
like from your local store.

> Here's what you'd get in Chicago:
>
> http://content.answers.com/main/cont...talianBeef.jpg

I think I'm getting hungry.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Lou Decruss 06-11-2006 06:48 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:04:17 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:15:50 GMT, Lou Decruss >
>wrote:
>
>>Carol,
>>
>>Sorry I took so long to respond. Usenet time is a luxury I can't
>>always afford. I hope you didn't take my comment as bashing you.
>>Your sandwich looks great. If the people you cook for love them I'm
>>not sure why you want to change.

>Just willing to explore possibilities. We do love those suckers!

Don't get too flexible or I'll feel obligated to ad a hot dish to my
recipe collection. <g>

<snip>

>This was the first time I ever buttered and toasted a bun. They're
>usually plain. The pepper rings we have are most likely banana pepper
>rings. I usually go with pepperoncini, but this particular store
>didn't have any. I won't ever eat my sandwiches "wet." One of our
>roommates did it that way, but I don't care for soggy bread. No, I
>*hate* soggy bread. Yeah, that's better.

ROFL Nothing like a little hate so soothe the soul!! Peppers are
always optional so I guess whatever you can get has to work. As long
as YOU like what you make.

>>English roasts are on sale for 2.19 a pound so we're going to grab a
>>few tonight for next weekends getaway with friends. I make mine
>>similar to yours but I use larger quantities of spices. We're all
>>garlic freaks so I'm going to attempt to inject the roast with roasted
>>garlic. I've wanted to do this for awhile so we'll see how it turns
>>out.

>Let me know how that works out! Sounds like it could be killer-good!

Well English Roast doesn't seem to be a good piece to use. I've done
it before and they were good, but buying them seems to be challenging.
I used two this weekend but they were from a different store. They
were more of an Italian pot roast. I was leery when I made them but
it certainly was too late to change plans. The result was unexpected
but excellent. The beef shredded like pot roast. I served it on an
onion bread loaf I made. It didn't need much juice. I roasted a few
heads of garlic and pureed them with evo until smooth enough to
inject. I had fresh thyme and I used a bit too much. I think the
fact that they fell apart was due to several things. Over injecting,
wrong piece of meat and it was cooked a bit too long. I'll be on a
quest for the perfect piece of meat, and tone down the amount of
injection next time.

<snip>

>>Here's what you'd get in Chicago:
>>
>>http://content.answers.com/main/cont...talianBeef.jpg

>Ooooooh! Soggy! I couldn't eat that. Might pick the meat out and
>eat that, though.

You can order anything you want in Chicago except ketchup on a hot
dog. <lol> Many people order a dry sandwich and nobody laughs. I
like mine wet and sloppy.

>Thanks, Lou!
>Carol

Lou

Lou Decruss 06-11-2006 06:48 PM

I Made Them All By Myself!!!!

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:10:15 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:44:51 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>> > wrote:

>> >I live in Minnesota, and have visited Chicago twice. Can you tell me
>> >what would make my sandwiches authentic? If I like the sounds of it,

>> (before cheese if used) Merzetta pepper rings didn't show up on a

>Maybe "Mezzetta"?
>
>http://www.mezzetta.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=
>peppers
>
>This is a company not far from us. I suspect that shipping would be
>expensive, so I would suggest just using whatever kind of peppers you
>like from your local store.

I guess it would help is I could read and spell. LOL I agree.
whatever you like works fine.

>> Here's what you'd get in Chicago:
>>
>> http://content.answers.com/main/cont...talianBeef.jpg

>I think I'm getting hungry.