Default God Made Man, Took One of His Ribs and Made Woman, and Now Man Cooks Ribs on Smoker, w/ Less Than Spectacular Results!!

Ok- I know I'm not God, but what in the he.. uh, world, happened to my
ribs?- not the one that was used to make my wife- that one came out
"nearly" perfect. I grilled a rack of pork spare ribs, using indirect
heat- the charcoal was on one side of my Char-Griller, and the ribs on
the other side for about 2-3 hours at 300-350 F, and they came out
great. The other day, I smoked a rack of spareribs for about 5-6 hours
at 225-250F, using the SFB, and they came out so-so at best. What am I
doing wrong? Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
same store, and app. the same weight.

Thanks again for your expertise- I appreciate it!

Jim

A. Kesteloo

maybe not the same pig?

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> Ok- I know I'm not God, but what in the he.. uh, world, happened to my
> ribs?- not the one that was used to make my wife- that one came out
> "nearly" perfect. I grilled a rack of pork spare ribs, using indirect
> heat- the charcoal was on one side of my Char-Griller, and the ribs on
> the other side for about 2-3 hours at 300-350 F, and they came out
> great. The other day, I smoked a rack of spareribs for about 5-6 hours
> at 225-250F, using the SFB, and they came out so-so at best. What am I
> doing wrong? Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
> faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
> same store, and app. the same weight.
>
> Thanks again for your expertise- I appreciate it!
>
> Jim

Brick

On 9-Jul-2005, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
> > faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
> > same store, and app. the same weight.

> Jim, ribs and brisket don't care what the temp is. The higher temps mean
> that you need to be far more vigilant, lest you over-caramelize the meat
> prior to the meat being tender. (Over-caramelization sounds SOOOO much
> better than burnt)
>
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

http://davebbq.com/

I've been there and done that, but I wasn't witty enough to glamorize
the description. My wife had some pretty descriptive words for
them, but I don't care to share such words with the general public. As
for jimngin's complaint, he didn't describe very well just how they were
not up to par. Too dry, too smoky, not smoky enough, to tough, what?
I run my pit at 270° at the dome near the stack. It's 30° to 40° hotter
down by the firebox. Ribs I cooked down around 225° were essentially
comparabto to those I cook at 300° or better. (non of them last very
long).
--
The Brick® said that (The only person I have to beat is the person I am
right now. )