Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.politics.usa.misc,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.taiwan,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers

Default US-made pizza recalled due to E. coli; maybe China should boycott all US-made pizzas

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...AS984320071101

Totino's and Jeno's pizza recalled due to E. coli

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Almost five million Totino's and Jeno's frozen
pizzas with pepperoni toppings are being recalled because the
pepperoni may be contaminated with E. coli, General Mills Inc said on
Thursday.

General Mills, which owns the Totino's and Jeno's brands, said the
recall affects about 414,000 cases of pizza products currently in
stores and all similar pizza products that might be in consumers'
freezers. Each case contains 12 pizzas.

The possible E. coli contamination was uncovered by state and federal
authorities investigating 21 E. coli-related illnesses in 10 states.

General Mills said nine of the 21 people reported having eaten
Totino's or Jeno's pizza with pepperoni topping at some point before
becoming ill.

The people became ill between July 20 and October 10, the USDA's Food
Safety and Inspection Service said, adding that all the patients
recovered.

The people did not have packages with dates codes or other information
General Mills needs to narrow down which pizzas might be affected,
General Mills spokesman Tom Forsythe said, adding that, for the same
reason, the company could not determine which of its suppliers
provided the pepperoni.

E.coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacteria that can cause bloody
diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, seniors and persons with
compromised immune systems are the most vulnerable to food borne
disease.

The recall includes eight types of Totino's brand frozen pizza and
three types of Jeno's brand frozen pizza with pepperoni topping, or
pepperoni in combination with other toppings.

The frozen pizzas were produced in its Wellston, Ohio, plant and
distributed throughout the United States. The plant is currently
making other pizzas, but not with pepperoni, General Mills spokesman
Tom Forsythe said.

You get the message: US made products may be just as bad as Chinese
manufactured ones: So many products may be tainted with E-coli like
last fall's lettuce. Protectionism can go both ways. I'd rather not
have Pelosi and her protectionist congress dumping on China just
because their own consumers prefer Chinese stuff to their own
industry. The US should fix their own trade deficit rather than
picking on China in vain.

David Huang

Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The US should fix their own trade deficit rather than
picking on China in vain.

Picking on China NEVER is in vain.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Old 02-11-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That's their punishment for microwaving frozen pizza.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 8:42 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

That's their punishment for microwaving frozen pizza.-

That brings up an important question. . .Would baking in a
conventional oven instead of microwaving, even kill E. coli???

Myrl

Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jeno's/Totino's pizza recalled due to possible E. coli

On Nov 2, 2:35 pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

At first I thought, "Why post that here? No one who reads this NG
would eat those." I was wrong (see below).

That's their punishment for microwaving frozen pizza.

(Fixed the subject line to reflect the actual topic of discussion.)

There have got to be other factors involved beyond just microwaving frozen
pizza.

That's because I microwaved a Jeno's Combination (Pepperoni and Sausage)
pizza just two days before the recall.

100% Power for 4 minutes, then about 2 minutes in a toaster oven set at the
highest Toast temperature setting, just to make the crust crispy, which may
have further cooked the pizza but for the most part, it was cooked in the
microwave.

The pizza was as good as it could get for a cheap frozen pizza (often sold
for $1.00 or less), but I also didn't get sick from eating that pizza.

I wondered what kind of person would eat that crap. I guess the
answer is, people like you.

I did, however, discard the other Jeno's Combination pizza I had in the
freezer as a precaution after the recall was announced, even though I could
have probably microwave-cooked that pizza, and used the toaster oven to make
the crust cripsy just as with the other pizza I made two days prior to the
recall.

You could have eaten that crappy, trans-fatty, imitation cheese piece
of shit.
It would've been perfect for a guy like you.
You are what you eat.

--Bryan

Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.politics.usa.misc,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.taiwan,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers

On Nov 2, 9:23 am, wrote:
[...]

E coli has nothing to do with the deliberate use of lead and
diethylene glycol in products.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.politics.usa.misc,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.taiwan,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers

"Siskuwihane" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 2, 9:23 am, wrote:
[...]

It does if you're an idiot, like the OP.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote

The pizza was as good as it could get for a cheap frozen pizza
(often sold for $1.00 or less), but I also didn't get sick from
eating that pizza.

I wondered what kind of person would eat that crap. I guess the
answer is, people like you.

Hell, a frozen pizza for less than 1$... it can't be food. Or is it?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 5:34 pm, "Vilco" wrote:
Bobo Bonobo® wrote

The pizza was as good as it could get for a cheap frozen pizza
(often sold for $1.00 or less), but I also didn't get sick from
eating that pizza.

I wondered what kind of person would eat that crap. I guess the
answer is, people like you.

Hell, a frozen pizza for less than 1$... it can't be food. Or is it?

I say, no. People buy that crap and make it for their kids, and the
kids' friends. It is made with imitation cheese. I don't think that
Sandra Lee would even eat it.

--
Vilco

--Bryan

Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:

Bobo Bonobo® wrote

The pizza was as good as it could get for a cheap frozen pizza
(often sold for $1.00 or less), but I also didn't get sick from
eating that pizza.

I wondered what kind of person would eat that crap. I guess the
answer is, people like you.

Hell, a frozen pizza for less than 1$... it can't be food. Or is it?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

They are very small pizzas with not much topping (or flavour LOL).
However my mother likes them and I'm happy to have her eat them
considering how underweight she is right now!

But we threw out the pepperoni one and will be applying to the
manufacturer for a refund.
A large company like that should be able to maintain better quality
control!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 6:45 pm, Arri London wrote:
Vilco wrote:

Bobo Bonobo® wrote

The pizza was as good as it could get for a cheap frozen pizza
(often sold for $1.00 or less), but I also didn't get sick from
eating that pizza.

I wondered what kind of person would eat that crap. I guess the
answer is, people like you.

Hell, a frozen pizza for less than 1$... it can't be food. Or is it?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

They are very small pizzas with not much topping (or flavour LOL).
However my mother likes them and I'm happy to have her eat them
considering how underweight she is right now!

But we threw out the pepperoni one and will be applying to the
manufacturer for a refund.
A large company like that should be able to maintain better quality
control!

There is no quality to begin with. Imitation cheese.

--Bryan

Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.politics.usa.misc,rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.taiwan,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers

Damaeus wrote:
In news:rec.food.cooking, posted on Fri,
02 Nov 2007 07:23:52 -0700:

You get the message: US made products may be just as bad as Chinese
manufactured ones: So many products may be tainted with E-coli like
last fall's lettuce. Protectionism can go both ways. I'd rather not
have Pelosi and her protectionist congress dumping on China just
because their own consumers prefer Chinese stuff to their own
industry. The US should fix their own trade deficit rather than
picking on China in vain.

A lady I work with was telling me about this story this morning at work. She
said that the pepperoni used on the Totino's pizza is actually made in China,

No it isnt.

and it's the pepperoni that's the problem here.

And you know, it's also interesting that all these stories about Chinese-made
product recalls is coming about as the dollar sinks lower and lower. It almost
sounds like some kind of economic warfare with China...

Only to those who are a sucker for a mindless conspiracy theory.

The real reason is the trillion bucks thats been ****ed against the wall in Iraq.

China, a country which supposedly holds a great portion of our national debt.

So it aint in their interest to see the value of the dollar decline, stupid.

AND they have chosen to lock their own currency to the USD too. Funny that.

How that happened, who knows.

Its obvious how that happened to anyone with even half a
clue, they sell lot more to the US than they buy from the US.

Same thing happened with Japan until the chinese got their act into gear.