Old 15-07-2011, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And CheesePierogi

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Old 15-07-2011, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:17:18 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
in pictures posted here.

Old 15-07-2011, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.com...
Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so I
must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

I have always wanted to make those. But I can't find a gluten free recipe
that doesn't contain eggs. Someone did give me one some years ago but I
didn't save it to my computer. It was at a forum I was a member of. I had
saved it there and with no warning the forum closed. So I make faux ones
putting the filling into shells for stuffing. I bake them with a ton of
sautéed onions. Yum!

Old 15-07-2011, 04:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
in pictures posted here.

What? You haven't seen them in the frozen food section? I know they have
Mrs. T's there. I used to buy them.

Old 15-07-2011, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
in pictures posted here.

I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good
even though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve
them with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served
as a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce
but it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce
is chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken
stock. Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin
the sauce) and chives added as it is served.

Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
chops there, too.

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

Old 15-07-2011, 04:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

The pierogi from the same site
http://tinyurl.com/y974fcz

Old 15-07-2011, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:50:59 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the recipe site; it looks like a keeper! Copying the
recipes now.

Old 15-07-2011, 12:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
-snip-

Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
chops there, too.

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
and breakfast.

The Kielbasa rub is on the page with the pierogi recipe-
http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...se-pierogi.php
[save someone else the hassle of googling]

That looks interesting too-- Why didn't I ever think of that?

Jim
Old 15-07-2011, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.com...
Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so I
must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

That's why they're usually made by a crew of 20 Polish church ladies!

Old 16-07-2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2011 7:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:
-snip-

Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
chops there, too.

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
and breakfast.

The Kielbasa rub is on the page with the pierogi recipe-
http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...se-pierogi.php
[save someone else the hassle of googling]

That looks interesting too-- Why didn't I ever think of that?

Thanks for looking that up. I like this site. I've just been browsing
and I like how some of the main dish recipes include sides that pair
nicely with the entree.

Old 16-07-2011, 08:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 11:15*pm, sf wrote
Cheryl wrote:

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. *So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. *I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. *I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Have you ever eaten them before? *I haven't even seen them other than
in pictures posted here.

Where my grandparents moved when they first came America in the
20s, Allentown Pa, there is a section called The Ward where all sorts
of immigrants lived, not just the mainly arab ones. There were all
sorts. They serve perogies in Allentown saloons as deep-fried snacks
the way other areas serve french fries. But my grandmother made them
from scratch. We had them all sorts of ways. Boiled, Boiled and
then sauteed. Potatoes, potatoes and cheese, but also sauerkraut. It
was great to have all 3. The sauerkraut ones were great, but eaten
alone over and over again they could get boring. But to eat the
cheese and potato ones and then have one filled with sauerkraut was a
treat - or just picking one up and not knowing what you were getting,
that was a treat too. I liked them lightly fried. But I could also
eat them simply boiled.

TJ
Old 16-07-2011, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:02:25 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Cheryl wrote:
-snip-

Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
chops there, too.

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
and breakfast.

Cheryl-- did you try that sauce? We just had it [with some frozen
pierogies]. It is good. . . but next time around I'm tripling the
garlic, quadrupling the sour cream and cutting the broth in half.

Here are the ingredients as written;
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1-3/4 cup chicken broth (either homemade or low-sodium)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chives
xxxxx

I used 3 [large, strong] cloves of garlic, but otherwise followed the
recipe. It is a good gravy-- and I think it would be great with
some mushrooms sauteed in with the garlic-- but the broth was the
strongest flavor that came through.

Jim
Old 17-07-2011, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 6:02 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Cheryl-- did you try that sauce? We just had it [with some frozen
pierogies]. It is good. . . but next time around I'm tripling the
garlic, quadrupling the sour cream and cutting the broth in half.

Here are the ingredients as written;
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1-3/4 cup chicken broth (either homemade or low-sodium)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chives
xxxxx

I used 3 [large, strong] cloves of garlic, but otherwise followed the
recipe. It is a good gravy-- and I think it would be great with
some mushrooms sauteed in with the garlic-- but the broth was the
strongest flavor that came through.

I did. I made the sauce before I knew I didn't have enough flour for
the pierogi. I used the sauce over egg noodles.
Old 17-07-2011, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2011 10:17 PM, Cheryl wrote:
Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Lots of work as you said but worth it because they are light years
better than those frozen industrial ones.

Common home fare when I was a kid. My mother made them frequently and so
did her sister. They made every version you could imagine including
fruit filled.
Old 17-07-2011, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2011 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
wrote:

[...]

They are very common in PA and there are basically three ways they served
them. Deep fried. They are often sold this way at theme parks. They are
not served with any kind of sauce AFAIK. Or either boiled or pan fried and
served with browned butter and sautéed onions. I prefer straight boiled and
my husband prefers pan fried.

I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
and they always have homemade pierogies.

There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
and borsht.