mg

Default Where is your BBQ made?

In my search for a mid-priced BBQ ($400-$800 range) I was hoping to
find good quality for a reasonable price. Determining the country of
manufacture can be difficult because it only appears in small print on
the box. Here's what I learned from a search at Home Depot, Lowes,
and Costco:

1) Most grills, including Charbroil, Thermos, and Fiesta are made in
China. Even the higher end all-stainless steel Charbroil Commercial
is made overseas.
2) Only Weber seams to offer USA made products in this price range.
If USA built is important, it seams a quality Weber is the way to go.
3) All Vermont Castings grills (Home Depot) and Jenn-Air JA461P
(Lowes) are made in Canada by CFM Corp. Note that the higher end
all-stainless Jenn-Air grills (720-0061-LP, 720-0062-LP, 720-0063-LP)
are made in China too.

My choice was the Jenn-Air JA461P for $600. It provides great quality
and good price. Just thought I'd share.
Peter Aitken

"mg" > wrote in message
m...
> In my search for a mid-priced BBQ ($400-$800 range) I was hoping to
> find good quality for a reasonable price. Determining the country of
> manufacture can be difficult because it only appears in small print on
> the box. Here's what I learned from a search at Home Depot, Lowes,
> and Costco:
>
> 1) Most grills, including Charbroil, Thermos, and Fiesta are made in
> China. Even the higher end all-stainless steel Charbroil Commercial
> is made overseas.
> 2) Only Weber seams to offer USA made products in this price range.
> If USA built is important, it seams a quality Weber is the way to go.
> 3) All Vermont Castings grills (Home Depot) and Jenn-Air JA461P
> (Lowes) are made in Canada by CFM Corp. Note that the higher end
> all-stainless Jenn-Air grills (720-0061-LP, 720-0062-LP, 720-0063-LP)
> are made in China too.
>
> My choice was the Jenn-Air JA461P for $600. It provides great quality
> and good price. Just thought I'd share.

I recommend staying away from the big chains when shopping for a BBQ. The
specialty stores are sure to have a better selection and also better advice.
Prices may not be quite as good but I think it's worth it. When we were
shopping a year ago we found a terrific unit that is made locally (Phoenix
Grills). It is built like a tank and is free of unnecessary gadgets and
accessories.

--
Peter Aitken

DawnK

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> "mg" > wrote in message
> m...
> > In my search for a mid-priced BBQ ($400-$800 range) I was hoping to
> > find good quality for a reasonable price. Determining the country of
> > manufacture can be difficult because it only appears in small print on
> > the box. Here's what I learned from a search at Home Depot, Lowes,
> > and Costco:
> >
> > 1) Most grills, including Charbroil, Thermos, and Fiesta are made in
> > China. Even the higher end all-stainless steel Charbroil Commercial
> > is made overseas.
> > 2) Only Weber seams to offer USA made products in this price range.
> > If USA built is important, it seams a quality Weber is the way to go.
> > 3) All Vermont Castings grills (Home Depot) and Jenn-Air JA461P
> > (Lowes) are made in Canada by CFM Corp. Note that the higher end
> > all-stainless Jenn-Air grills (720-0061-LP, 720-0062-LP, 720-0063-LP)
> > are made in China too.
> >
> > My choice was the Jenn-Air JA461P for $600. It provides great quality
> > and good price. Just thought I'd share.

> I recommend staying away from the big chains when shopping for a BBQ. The
> specialty stores are sure to have a better selection and also better

advice.
> Prices may not be quite as good but I think it's worth it. When we were
> shopping a year ago we found a terrific unit that is made locally (Phoenix
> Grills). It is built like a tank and is free of unnecessary gadgets and
> accessories.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

We just bought a Weber gas grill from a local hardware store. It was last
year's model, but has all stainless steel components inside. At Home Depot,
we would have had to go to the $1000 level to get stainless steel parts.
Ours was $449 on sale. It did a nice job cooking bratwurst last night.

Dawn

Edwin Pawlowski

"mg" > wrote in message
> 3) All Vermont Castings grills (Home Depot) and Jenn-Air JA461P
> (Lowes) are made in Canada by CFM Corp.

It may have changed, but my Vermont Castings was sold by the propane
dealers and outdoor furnitucre type stores. It is a heavy duty version of
the Home Depot models. Yes, it is from Canada. (BTW, a Canadian customer is
responsible for a half dozen jobs at my company)

You can find better quality grills at places other than the big chain
stores.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

BOB

mg wrote:
> In my search for a mid-priced BBQ ($400-$800 range) I was hoping to
> find good quality for a reasonable price. Determining the country of
> manufacture can be difficult because it only appears in small print on
> the box. Here's what I learned from a search at Home Depot, Lowes,
> and Costco:
>
> 1) Most grills, including Charbroil, Thermos, and Fiesta are made in
> China. Even the higher end all-stainless steel Charbroil Commercial
> is made overseas.
> 2) Only Weber seams to offer USA made products in this price range.
> If USA built is important, it seams a quality Weber is the way to go.
> 3) All Vermont Castings grills (Home Depot) and Jenn-Air JA461P
> (Lowes) are made in Canada by CFM Corp. Note that the higher end
> all-stainless Jenn-Air grills (720-0061-LP, 720-0062-LP, 720-0063-LP)
> are made in China too.
>
> My choice was the Jenn-Air JA461P for $600. It provides great quality
> and good price. Just thought I'd share.

My *BBQ* is made in my BBQ grill/smoker on my patio.

The equipment is made in Sacramento, Calif.

www.kamado.com

BOB

Rob

" BOB" > wrote in message >...
> My *BBQ* is made in my BBQ grill/smoker on my patio.
>
> The equipment is made in Sacramento, Calif.
>
> www.kamado.com
>
> BOB

Bob-

Shame on you!... You know good and well that K now has overseas capacity.

Rob
Q 4 all
BOB

Rob wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> My *BBQ* is made in my BBQ grill/smoker on my patio.
>>
>> The equipment is made in Sacramento, Calif.
>>
>> www.kamado.com
>>
>> BOB

> Bob-
>
> Shame on you!... You know good and well that K now has overseas capacity.
>
> Rob
> Q 4 all

Not right now, unless you mean the extruded coconut lump charcoal.

BOB

Rob

> Not right now, unless you mean the extruded coconut lump charcoal.
>
> BOB

From the 3rd Kamando newsletter (March 2003):

"What is the latest on the Joint Venture of
the manufacturing facility in Indonesia?
The critical need for additional factory and
warehouse space was fortunately solved on
my recent trip, at least for the next 9 to 12
months, by our opportunity to lease the
adjoining warehouse. The size is over 3
times our present factory and has two
truck high doors so we can load inside out
of the frequent rain. Now we can concentrate
on production for the present time. We
will continue to promote this JV but we will
not raise funds at this time."

http://www.kamado.com/Newsletter/Mar...dMarch2003.pdf

Rob
Q 4 all

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And CheesePierogi Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 25 18-07-2011 01:08 AM
hand made samosa or ready made? bishoo.devendra Mexican Cooking 13 23-06-2011 04:38 PM
US-made pizza recalled due to E. coli; maybe China should boycott all US-made pizzas [email protected] General Cooking 29 08-11-2007 11:58 PM
OT - She Made It axlq General Cooking 0 21-10-2005 08:26 PM
God Made Man, Took One of His Ribs and Made Woman, and Now Man Cooks Ribs on Smoker, w/ Less Than Spectacular Results!! [email protected] Barbecue 4 09-07-2005 09:26 PM