Old 30-01-2014, 10:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Okra in water?

My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put them
in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported to work
like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I told her to
try it and tell me how it tastes.

Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people speaking
of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?

I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone is
stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Old 30-01-2014, 02:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put
them in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported
to work like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I
told her to try it and tell me how it tastes.

Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people
speaking of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?

I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone
is stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I imagine it would thicken the water, but never heard of the other benefit.
I do not like okra.

Cheri

Old 30-01-2014, 02:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
"Julie Bove" writes:
My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put them
in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported to work
like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I told her to
try it and tell me how it tastes.

Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people speaking
of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?

I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone is
stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/okra.asp

Snopes says that *eating* okra has some benefit in slowing sugar
uptake, but "cure" is an overreach. Also it isn't clear that the
okra water has the same benefit.

--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |
Old 30-01-2014, 03:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put
them in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported
to work like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I
told her to try it and tell me how it tastes.

Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people
speaking of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?

I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone
is stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I imagine it would thicken the water, but never heard of the other
benefit. I do not like okra.

I looked it up and several websites made this claim. One said you needed to
drink the water each morning upon rising then have nothing else for a half
an hour. Do for two weeks to see results.

Old 30-01-2014, 03:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
"Julie Bove" writes:
[...]

Thanks! What I originally read only made a claim of lower BG. Not a cure.

Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 85 17-03-2013 04:17 PM
Okra Crips Tara General Cooking 20 04-08-2011 05:27 AM
PIckled Okra? gtr General Cooking 17 10-05-2010 02:47 AM
Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM