Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Okra in water?

My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put them
in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported to work
like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I told her to
try it and tell me how it tastes.

Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people speaking
of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?

I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone is
stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put
> them in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported
> to work like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I
> told her to try it and tell me how it tastes.
>
> Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
> when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people
> speaking of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?
>
> I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone
> is stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I imagine it would thicken the water, but never heard of the other benefit.
I do not like okra.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >
"Julie Bove" > writes:
>My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put them
>in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported to work
>like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I told her to
>try it and tell me how it tastes.
>
>Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
>when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people speaking
>of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?
>
>I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone is
>stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/okra.asp

Snopes says that *eating* okra has some benefit in slowing sugar
uptake, but "cure" is an overreach. Also it isn't clear that the
okra water has the same benefit.

--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put
>> them in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported
>> to work like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I
>> told her to try it and tell me how it tastes.
>>
>> Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
>> when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people
>> speaking of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?
>>
>> I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone
>> is stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

> I imagine it would thicken the water, but never heard of the other
> benefit. I do not like okra.

I looked it up and several websites made this claim. One said you needed to
drink the water each morning upon rising then have nothing else for a half
an hour. Do for two weeks to see results.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Drew Lawson" > wrote in message
> In article >
> "Julie Bove" > writes:
>>My friend reposted something on Facebook. Said to cut a few okra, put
>>them
>>in water and then the next morning, drink the water. Was purported to
>>work
>>like insulin and drastically reduce BG. I kinda doubt that. I told her
>>try it and tell me how it tastes.
>>
>>Now I've never worked with okra and have only ever eaten it in a soup or
>>when I was a little kid, breaded and fried. But I hear many people
>>speaking
>>of the slime factor. Wouldn't it make the water all slimy?
>>
>>I have a feeling this is some sort of sick joke. Like to see if someone
>>is
>>stupid enough to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?
>>

> http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/okra.asp
>
> Snopes says that *eating* okra has some benefit in slowing sugar
> uptake, but "cure" is an overreach. Also it isn't clear that the
> okra water has the same benefit.

Thanks! What I originally read only made a claim of lower BG. Not a cure.

Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 85 17-03-2013 04:17 PM
Okra Crips Tara General Cooking 20 04-08-2011 05:27 AM
PIckled Okra? gtr General Cooking 17 10-05-2010 02:47 AM
Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM