Old 29-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Melba's Jammin'

Default Okra

In article , Sylvia
wrote:

Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
ruins two good vegetables.

Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
often.

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know?
--
-Barb,
I've got a bunch of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks

Old 29-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article , Sylvia
wrote:

Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
ruins two good vegetables.

Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
often.

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know?
--

That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.

Jack MN

Old 29-09-2003, 04:08 PM
modom

wrote:

Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
ruins two good vegetables.

Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
often.

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know?
--

That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.

Jack MN

Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
Old 30-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[snip]

THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

One of the things we love about you, Barb, is your facility with the English
tongue :-)

---jkb

--
"Ack! There is no "emoticon" to express what I am feeling right now!"
-- Comic Book Guy

Old 30-09-2003, 03:54 AM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Jeff Bienstadt
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[snip]

THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

One of the things we love about you, Barb, is your facility with the
English tongue :-)

---jkb

It's a gift. "-) (The spelling is the tricky part.)
Old 30-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:55:45 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

wrote:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I
think of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know? --

That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.

Jack MN

Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.
modom

THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

You back on the Elbonian again, Barb? ;0)

Harry
Old 30-09-2003, 05:08 PM
A.T. Hagan

wrote:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I
think of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know? --

That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.

Jack MN

Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.
modom

THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

That's like saying chili is a kind of soup.

True. Sort of. In a technical sense. I suppose. Kinda...

......Alan.

Post no bills

Old 30-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Sylvia

If you haven't tried pickled okra yet, give it a try.

I'm not a big pickling fan, period. A jar of regular pickles in this
house can last for years.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Old 30-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Sylvia

I think of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya.

Hey, I don't need any help to look stupid -- I manage fine all by
myself. g I mistyped, I meant gumbo. I guess you could call
jambalaya a stew rather than a soup, the ones I've had have been kind of
borderline -- a thick soup or a thin stew, take your pick.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Grilled Okra Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2007 03:14 AM