Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okra Crips

Curiousity got the best of me. I just had to try okra crisps when
they caught my eye at Kroger. They are pods of okra that seem to be
dried and fried. The ingredients are okra, non-hydrogenated canola
oil, dextrin, sea salt.

They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
be an interesting salad garnish.

These look similar:
http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=7909

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2011 2:50 PM, Tara wrote:
> Curiousity got the best of me. I just had to try okra crisps when
> they caught my eye at Kroger. They are pods of okra that seem to be
> dried and fried. The ingredients are okra, non-hydrogenated canola
> oil, dextrin, sea salt.
>
> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
> be an interesting salad garnish.
>
> These look similar:
> http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=7909

It's a fairly standard thing to do with okra in Indian cooking. They are
cut into half inch lengths before frying and served on the side or
incorporated into a raita according to Julie Sahni. The pieces sre
certainly not slimy.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
> be an interesting salad garnish.

I like the green beans over the okra chips. They also have sweet potato
or carrot ones too. I always sample them while at Earthfare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:21:02 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>I like the green beans over the okra chips. They also have sweet potato
>or carrot ones too. I always sample them while at Earthfare.

I like the green bean chips, too. Sometimes I buy a vegetable chip
mix at Publix that looks a lot like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Terrafina-Vege...uct/B001P201YC

It has sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, etc.

I love the Terra brand of vegetable chips. I have no control over
myself with those!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Tara wrote:
>
>> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
>> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
>> be an interesting salad garnish.

>I like the green beans over the okra chips. They also have sweet potato
>or carrot ones too. I always sample them while at Earthfare.

Fresh Market had a huge display of a bunch of them. I tried Okra,
Beans, Sweet potatoes, and. . ?? I can't think of the 4th. But they
all had the same overbearing flavor. It reminds me, I think, of
comfrey. I haven't had comfrey tea since the 70s, but I think that's
the flavor. I'm not fond of it-- but I wonder what the common
ingredient [element?] is in all of these that they taste the same to
me.

Jim
[not much of a chip eater-- but I have a couple in the house so I
sampled them]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:03:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:50:21 -0400, Tara wrote:
>
>> Curiousity got the best of me. I just had to try okra crisps when
>> they caught my eye at Kroger. They are pods of okra that seem to be
>> dried and fried. The ingredients are okra, non-hydrogenated canola
>> oil, dextrin, sea salt.
>>
>> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
>> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
>> be an interesting salad garnish.

>I had great expectations for all these "dry fried" vegetables but most
>of them left me flat. The super-crisp texture is great, but the okra
>eventually turned back into slime in my mouth.
>
>The carrots and peas were the best, IMO. But the food scientist in me
>made me wonder wonder how they made them. I didn't see it in
>Modernist Cuisine, but I assume some sort of giant, deep-frying, alien
>technology okra centrifuge is at work here.

I've wondered too-- My guess was freeze drying.

I was happy the okra finally gave up some of its mucilaginous
character-- that's what I like about it.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I had great expectations for all these "dry fried" vegetables but most
>of them left me flat.

Have you tried the Just Veggies and Just Fruits dried fruits and
vegetables? They are dried, not fried. They are addictive.

http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/home.asp

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:12:01 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:03:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The carrots and peas were the best, IMO. But the food scientist in me
>>>made me wonder wonder how they made them. I didn't see it in
>>>Modernist Cuisine, but I assume some sort of giant, deep-frying, alien
>>>technology okra centrifuge is at work here.

>> I've wondered too-- My guess was freeze drying.

-snip-

>I'm not sure that freeze drying alone would produce that level of
>crispness. The okra breaks into shards, literally. But you could be
>right.

Nope--- Curiosity got the best of me-- They are vacuum fried. Lower
temp, less oil.
http://clatl.com/atlanta/fresh-marke...nt?oid=1286677

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:

> Curiousity got the best of me.

So, how do they compare to Okra Bloods?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:57:23 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>Tara > wrote:
>
>> Curiousity got the best of me.

>So, how do they compare to Okra Bloods?

Oops!

Crisps, crisps, crisps

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> So, how do they compare to Okra Bloods?

Okra crips are dry and crunchy. Okra bloods are wet and slimey. It's
the conundrum of dealing with okra how to get it non-slimey. Now the
world knows another method. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> Curiousity got the best of me. I just had to try okra crisps when
> they caught my eye at Kroger. They are pods of okra that seem to be
> dried and fried. The ingredients are okra, non-hydrogenated canola
> oil, dextrin, sea salt.
>
> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
> be an interesting salad garnish.
>
> These look similar:
> http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=7909
>
> Tara

I bought dehydrated okra ONCE. It was not good. What you
describe sounds at least a tad better than that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:49:37 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> People always liked it because it wasn't slimy.

That would be a primary reason to buy it... if we had that as an
option.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:50:21 -0400, Tara wrote:
>
>> They are crispy and airy. They have a mild okra and salty taste. The
>> crisps would be good with a dip or alongside a sandwich. They would
>> be an interesting salad garnish.

> I just bought some green beans today ($6.99/lb and they're really
> light). I just tasted one before I bought them and they're very Green
> Beany.
>
> -sw

I really like the beans and the carrots--and I guess it's squash,
bot sweet potatoes. But I do also like Terra's Sweets and Beets.
I wish they would have parsnip chips again too. Or that TJs
would have them again. Those were really good.

--
Jean B.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Grilled Okra Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2007 03:14 AM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM