Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default PIckled Okra?

There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One
will add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.

One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.

Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2010 8:52 PM, gtr wrote:
> There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
> till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One will
> add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.
>
> One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.
>
> Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?

I don't eat the nasty things but put them up for my wife. I slit the pod
so the pickling vinegar gets inside pretty quick, poking it with a fork
would probably do the same thing. If you want them crisp try to find
some Ball's Pickle Crisp and follow the directions. Did that last year
and DW says they are much nicer when crunchy.

Oh yeah, she likes them with crushed dill seed added to the mix and some
chopped garlic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-06 04:52:02 -0700, George Shirley said:

> On 5/5/2010 8:52 PM, gtr wrote:
>> There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
>> till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One will
>> add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.
>>
>> One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.
>>
>> Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?

> I don't eat the nasty things but put them up for my wife. I slit the
> pod so the pickling vinegar gets inside pretty quick, poking it with a
> fork would probably do the same thing. If you want them crisp try to
> find some Ball's Pickle Crisp and follow the directions. Did that last
> year and DW says they are much nicer when crunchy.
>
> Oh yeah, she likes them with crushed dill seed added to the mix and
> some chopped garlic.

Thanks!
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010050518522797828-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
> till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One
> will add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.
>
> One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.
>
> Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?

I haven't made them in many, many years but do recall the part about
poking holes in the pods (so the pickling liquid can get inside).

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-07 05:35:21 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

> In article <2010050518522797828-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:
>
>> There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
>> till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One
>> will add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.
>>
>> One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.
>>
>> Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?

> I haven't made them in many, many years but do recall the part about
> poking holes in the pods (so the pickling liquid can get inside).

I took a stab at it yesteray, now I'm at the waiting portion. I didn't
prick or slice them as the ones my Granny made never had any holes in
them. It will be one of the 4 or 5 variables I'm gauging in this first
test.

I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
had 1/2 tsp dill seed.

Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010050707582979089-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-05-07 05:35:21 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

> I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
> so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
> from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
> all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
> had 1/2 tsp dill seed.
>
> Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.

If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
not acidic enough.

Look at the pickling section at the National Center for Home Food
Preservation, uga.edu/nchfp.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-07 13:26:42 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

> In article <2010050707582979089-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-05-07 05:35:21 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

>> I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
>> so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
>> from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
>> all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
>> had 1/2 tsp dill seed.
>>
>> Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.

> If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
> than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
> not acidic enough.

Oh-oh! Somebody should notify the thousands of perpetrators of bad
recipes out there!

> Look at the pickling section at the National Center for Home Food
> Preservation, uga.edu/nchfp.

These are not pickles I'm "putting up" for a year, or anything. Just
to be pickled for a couple weeks and then eaten for a month or two.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010050714003955564-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-05-07 13:26:42 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:
>
> > In article <2010050707582979089-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:
> >
> >> On 2010-05-07 05:35:21 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

> >> I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
> >> so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
> >> from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
> >> all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
> >> had 1/2 tsp dill seed.
> >>
> >> Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.

> > If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
> > than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
> > not acidic enough.

> Oh-oh! Somebody should notify the thousands of perpetrators of bad
> recipes out there!

Gee, I thought I just did.

That 1:1 ratio is relatively new -- the last 15 years or so, maybe?
Twenty years? Lots of people make The Family Dill Pickle Recipe That
We've Always Made and will be damned to a front row bench in front of
Hell's furnace before they will change. That includes most of my
siblings. :-) I can't help that. Me? My supermarket carries a
pretty decent commercially made pickle that we like; I make my own bread
& butter pickles ‹ it's a pretty good recipe. :-)

> > Look at the pickling section at the National Center for Home Food
> > Preservation, uga.edu/nchfp.

> These are not pickles I'm "putting up" for a year, or anything. Just
> to be pickled for a couple weeks and then eaten for a month or two.

If you use 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar, keep an eye on them for
spoilage ‹ that's not very acidic and I would expect spoilage at some
point. <shrugs>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-07 15:23:26 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:

>>> If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
>>> than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
>>> not acidic enough.

>> Oh-oh! Somebody should notify the thousands of perpetrators of bad
>> recipes out there!

> Gee, I thought I just did.

Hmm. Maybe you did. I thought in order to do that you had to TYPE IN ALL CAPS!

> If you use 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar, keep an eye on them for
> spoilage ‹ that's not very acidic and I would expect spoilage at some
> point. <shrugs>

Hey, I appreciate the calculations. I'm quickly glomming onto any
compass or faux-compass I can find in my new role as kitchen bumbler. I
looked at 12-15 web recipes, and also pondered the fact that I've had a
number of over-the-top sassy pickles in recent years, then settled on 4
parts water to 2 parts vinegar. Hopefully that will do me right with
this first try.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:26:42 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote,
>If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
>than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
>not acidic enough.

Doesn't that depend on how acidic your vinegar is to begin with?

Have the goddamn chiselers started watering the vinegar now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do y'all really eat these things as condiments? I've only ever put
them in with a lot of other stuff as Bloody Mary garnish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-07 18:01:05 -0700, David Harmon said:

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:26:42 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote,
>> If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
>> than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
>> not acidic enough.

> Doesn't that depend on how acidic your vinegar is to begin with?

I thought all the commercial stuff was 5%. No?
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-07 19:12:54 -0700, bulka said:

> Do y'all really eat these things as condiments? I've only ever put
> them in with a lot of other stuff as Bloody Mary garnish.

I eat them standing in front of the refridgerator pondering what to
have for dinner.

I also like them with a sandwich of anykind. Or as a stand-in to
Japanese pickles with a bowl of udon.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2010 12:53 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2010-05-07 18:01:05 -0700, David Harmon said:
>
>> On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:26:42 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote,
>>> If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
>>> than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
>>> not acidic enough.

>> Doesn't that depend on how acidic your vinegar is to begin with?

> I thought all the commercial stuff was 5%. No?

Most distilled white vinegar is 5% but it pays to read the label to
ensure that is what you're getting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 May 2010 07:58:29 -0700, gtr wrote:

> On 2010-05-07 05:35:21 -0700, Melba's Jammin said:
>
>> In article <2010050518522797828-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:
>>
>>> There's not a lot to making pickled okra, but I didn't think to try it
>>> till now. All the recipes are very similar that I find online. One
>>> will add dill or dill seed, another won't. Same with dried chili.
>>>
>>> One of them mentions "piercing the okra with a fork" before pickling.
>>>
>>> Do others have any particular personality they are inclined to add these?

>> I haven't made them in many, many years but do recall the part about
>> poking holes in the pods (so the pickling liquid can get inside).

> I took a stab at it yesteray, now I'm at the waiting portion. I didn't
> prick or slice them as the ones my Granny made never had any holes in
> them. It will be one of the 4 or 5 variables I'm gauging in this first
> test.
>
> I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
> so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
> from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
> all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
> had 1/2 tsp dill seed.
>
> Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.

i would avoid pricking them as i don't think biting into an okra pod full
of brine would be all that appetizing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 2010 07:58:29 -0700, gtr wrote:

> >> I haven't made them in many, many years but do recall the part about
> >> poking holes in the pods (so the pickling liquid can get inside).

> > I took a stab at it yesteray, now I'm at the waiting portion. I didn't
> > prick or slice them as the ones my Granny made never had any holes in
> > them. It will be one of the 4 or 5 variables I'm gauging in this first
> > test.
> >
> > I culled 10-12 recipes on line and was really surprised how they were
> > so similar with the exception of the water v. vinegar part. They went
> > from it 1 part water / 1 part vinegar to 4 w /1 v. One had no water at
> > all. It was surprising out varied it was. One had 2 tsp dill seed, one
> > had 1/2 tsp dill seed.
> >
> > Whatever. Any place is a good place to start.

> i would avoid pricking them as i don't think biting into an okra pod full
> of brine would be all that appetizing.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I have pickled many an okra pod (mom loved the ones I made for her) and
never once found the need to prick them. They pickled just fine. Same
same for hard boiled eggs or small cucumbers, or zucchini, but the
zucchini is cut into spears...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:26:42 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote,
> >If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
> >than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
> >not acidic enough.

> Doesn't that depend on how acidic your vinegar is to begin with?
>
> Have the goddamn chiselers started watering the vinegar now?

Standard acidity for pickling vinegar in the US is 5%. Some vinegars
are less acidic than that. Any recipe I've ever read has assumed 5%.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010050722534966796-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-05-07 18:01:05 -0700, David Harmon said:
>
> > On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:26:42 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote,
> >> If you're going to pickle, the current recommendations are no less acid
> >> than equal parts water and vinegar; e.g., 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar is
> >> not acidic enough.

> > Doesn't that depend on how acidic your vinegar is to begin with?

> I thought all the commercial stuff was 5%. No?

Some vinegars are less than 5%, a few are more. Commonly available
white vinegar and apple cider vinegars are 5%.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
More pickled okra George Shirley Preserving 2 19-08-2009 12:08 AM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM