Old 06-05-2010, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okra

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Alton Brown is a douchebag.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.
Boiled okra is not something most people would want. It does really make
a gumbo though.
Coated in corn meal and deep fried in Lard is good stuff.
In soups as gumbo it is good and contributes much flavor.
I don't care for the stuff in the frozen freezer section.
Fresh and at peak, not over ripe and tough is as always best.imo
Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-05 21:19:13 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Alton Brown is a douchebag.

Always with the snappy retort!
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-05 21:19:13 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Alton Brown is a douchebag.

Always with the snappy retort!

Always sitting around waiting for me to say something! Dipshit.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me want
to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking it
isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
serving.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

lil wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 00:27:07 -0400:

gloria.p wrote:

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't
make me want to try it again. I've had it pickled which
wasn't bad, but the texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.
Boiled okra is not something most people would want. It does
really makea gumbo though.
Coated in corn meal and deep fried in Lard is good stuff.
In soups as gumbo it is good and contributes much flavor.
I don't care for the stuff in the frozen freezer section.
Fresh and at peak, not over ripe and tough is as always
best.imo

I like okra fried crisp Indian style, either alone or in a raita. Store
bought hot pickled okra is good too (Texas Hots).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me want
to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

It's slippery and slimey. It's okay to say it

Jill

Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"lil abner" wrote in message
gloria.p wrote:

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.

snip

To me, okra does have a corn like taste, most definitely. Sauteed that is.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" wrote in message
"gloria.p" wrote in message

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking it
isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
serving.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Another way to cook is the add to stewed tomato that is common here in the
Carolinas. As well as fried too. I think only a true lover of okr would eat
it alone other than fried. The African slaves brought okra over with them so
any lover of gumbo pays tribute to them each time they make a pot.

http://www.deltablues.net/gumbo.html

Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote in message
"piedmont" wrote:

Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
it
isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
serving.

That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
well.

Regards,

I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-05 21:19:13 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Alton Brown is a douchebag.

Always with the snappy retort!

Always sitting around waiting for me to say something! Dipshit.

"Dipshit"--that's what I was waiting for! You're a riot. Got any other
new ones I can try on my friends?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "James Silverton" wrote:
|
| I like okra fried crisp Indian style, either alone or in a raita. Store
| bought hot pickled okra is good too (Texas Hots).
|
| Any guidelines/recipes? I've never had Indian style okra, only Saudi
| and Southern. :-) We're growing it for the first time this year, so
| I'm interested in lots of different preparations. Usually we only use
| it in gumbo and fried. I hear it is good stir fried, so I'll probably
| add it to my various skillet/hash dishes over the summer.

The second recipe in this collection is the one I usually use,
and the interesting discussions about frying okra and avoiding
the sliminess could be useful. All of these should be very
good dishes:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/586773

pavane

Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p

Just reading the word makes me gag. But OTOH, I LOVE beets (take
that, Barb! heh heh heh).

N.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2010 11:44 AM, The Cook wrote:
On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:34:34 -0400,
wrote:

"Ranée at Arabian wrote in message
In ,
wrote:

Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
it
isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
serving.

That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
well.

Regards,

I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

Try the purple okra sometime Susan, very pretty. The flowers are yellow
just like other okra but with a purple/burgundy cusp and the plant is
purple too. The fruit is purple but cooks up green. Makes a startling
contrast with the green in most gardens.