Old 29-12-2013, 06:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's Menu?

I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
Year everyone.

Cheri

Old 29-12-2013, 07:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things
to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just
be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower
salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold
suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.

Cheri

I had a coupon for some little wrapped Kosher hot dogs. I got those for
husband. Otherwise it will be the sorts of things you mentioned. I often
pop popcorn. And I will open my can of black eyed peas.

When I could eat cheese, I liked cheese stuffed Anaheim's. Sorry, no
recipe. I got it online. The same one no longer seems to be there. But I
have seen similar.

Old 29-12-2013, 02:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things
to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just
be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower
salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold
suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.

Cheri

I had a coupon for some little wrapped Kosher hot dogs. I got those for
husband. Otherwise it will be the sorts of things you mentioned. I often
pop popcorn. And I will open my can of black eyed peas.

When I could eat cheese, I liked cheese stuffed Anaheim's. Sorry, no
recipe. I got it online. The same one no longer seems to be there. But
I have seen similar.

I like little hot dogs. I'm going to Costco tomorrow so will look for
something like that too. On New Years Day I will make black eyed peas and
cornbread, will give most of it away to a couple of friends that expect it.
Happy New Year Julie.

Cheri

Old 29-12-2013, 05:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

: I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
: give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
: simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
: of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
: cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
: Year everyone.

: Cheri

Smoked Salmon! You can even, if you like, use cream cheese stuffed into
celery stalks with the salmon laid on top for a low carb version. It goes
well on crackers, or that dark scandinavian rye or pumpernickle, etc., not
just with bagels. For a salad like treat, take a thick slice of tomato
top with sliced red onionandthen the smoked salmon or lox. If you canget
hot smoked salmon that is also very god, even just plain or on a crcker or
cucmber slice.

Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.

Old 29-12-2013, 08:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/29/2013 11:57 AM, W. Baker wrote:

Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.

Must be a musician thing. My son, a music education major at Mizzou,
has been blowing his trombone (his major instrument is euphonium) out of
the window for several years. I know he really looks forward to that.
I won't be with him at New Years, but will be thinking about him then
and will include you and Syd in my thoughts.

--
BessieBee

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright

Old 29-12-2013, 08:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

[...]

I love smoked salmon, but didn't think of it, thanks!!! I know Syd will be
there in spirit. Happy New Year Wendy.

Cheri

Old 29-12-2013, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: Must be a musician thing. My son, a music education major at Mizzou,
: has been blowing his trombone (his major instrument is euphonium) out of
: the window for several years. I know he really looks forward to that.
: I won't be with him at New Years, but will be thinking about him then
: and will include you and Syd in my thoughts.

: --
: BessieBee

: I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
: .....Steven Wright

It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
double bass out the window:-)

Thanks for the thoughts. I will think of you thinking of me and not feel
so alone.

Wendy
Old 30-12-2013, 02:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/29/2013 4:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:

It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
double bass out the window:-)

As a longtime flute player I can agree totally with the loudness of the
brasses. I can, however, assure you that I can probably shatter windows
in the next block with my piccolo. (-:

Old 30-12-2013, 04:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

BessieBee wrote:
: On 12/29/2013 4:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:

: It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
: brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
: double bass out the window:-)

: As a longtime flute player I can agree totally with the loudness of the
: brasses. I can, however, assure you that I can probably shatter windows
: in the next block with my piccolo. (-:

: --
: BessieBee

: I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
: .....Steven Wright
Also ear drums! My daughter is a flutist(or flautist) and I listened to
her practice at one end of he apartment as my husband practised the
trumpet at teh otherend. I had to learn to turn it off:-)

Wendy
Old 30-12-2013, 06:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 12/28/2013 10:30 PM, Cheri wrote:

I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of
things to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like
to something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will
just be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think
cauliflower salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any
other cold suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

We don't celebrate New Years much, so I really don't have
much to offer. (My next holiday is the 7th.) But here goes:
if any of your guests or yourself is a non-drinker and also
low carb, try taking a flavored sparkling mineral water and
add bit of fresh squeezed juice to it. I like to add lemon
to orange flavored water. Nice and exotic. You can also
crack jokes about last Thursday being a good vintage.

And a blessed and prosperous new year to you and everyone!

-T

Happy New Year to you too. There will just be the two of us, so if I do have
a cocktail...it will be a tomato beer, made with Miller Chill. :-)

Cheri

Old 30-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri[_3_] View Post
I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
Year everyone.

Cheri
How about some cold black eyed peas aka Okiehoma Caviar?

Jenny's Oklahoma Caviar*recipe - from the The Gathering Book Family Cookbook
Old 31-12-2013, 12:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bigwheel" wrote in message

;1894456']I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving,

Cookbook' (http://tinyurl.com/n844v77)

--
bigwheel

That does sound good, but friends like the regular hot kind with cornbread
so I'll make that.

Cheri