Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Year's Eve Menu

This is what I'm planning to make:

roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread

white bean and cabbage soup

aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
stuffed red peppers[2]
slow-roasted onions[3]
apple lambic

Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]

shortbread with orange marmalade
Dolce

Bob
[1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with olive
oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
[2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there was
some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon ground
together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar, seasoned with
salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
[3]
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...icorice-powder
[4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a walnut
dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of Roquefort,
and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 6:51 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> This is what I'm planning to make:
>
> roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread
>
> white bean and cabbage soup
>
> aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
> stuffed red peppers[2]
> slow-roasted onions[3]
> apple lambic
>
> Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]
>
> shortbread with orange marmalade
> Dolce
>
> Bob
> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with
> olive oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
> [2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there
> was some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon
> ground together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar,
> seasoned with salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
> [3]
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...icorice-powder
>
> [4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
> Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a
> walnut dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of
> Roquefort, and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.

Sounds delish. I haven't yet decided what I'm doing...I suppose I
should. I usually just do appetizer-type stuff, but as we won't be
doing new years day dinner (going ice skating in St. Augustine) I may do
dinner. Maybe a ham....

--
Happy Holidays!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 3:51*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> This is what I'm planning to make:
>
> roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread
>
> white bean and cabbage soup
>
> aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
> stuffed red peppers[2]
> slow-roasted onions[3]
> apple lambic
>
> Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]
>
> shortbread with orange marmalade
> Dolce
>
> Bob
> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with olive
> oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
> [2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there was
> some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon ground
> together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar, seasoned with
> salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
> [3]http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/slow-roasted-sweet-onions-with-lic....
> [4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
> Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a walnut
> dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of Roquefort,
> and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.

Let me know if you have any leftovers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:51:33 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with olive
> oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper

This sounds really good to me, do you have a recipe link to post?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 6:51 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> [3]
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...icorice-powder

The whole menu looks great! I have to thank you for the link to this
site. I'm going to try this beef stew:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/b...red-wine-sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 7:25 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

> My celebration is an around-the-world online celebration, with another
> group I belong to. We have been doing this for 11 years now... We
> start just before NYE in New Zealand, and go until it is NYE in
> Hawaii....
> So I usually prepare some things to nosh on throughout the period. I
> am keeping it simple. Since I like appetizers a lot, I might make a
> few of those. Along with homemade pizzas. And a bottle of
> sparkling wine.

Sounds like a fun way to spend the crossover!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with
>> olive oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper

> This sounds really good to me, do you have a recipe link to post?

It's based on this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
but I modify the seasonings and the vegetables to fit the occasion. In this
case I'm adding thyme and maybe oil-cured olives (since I bought a container
of oil-cured olives for the onion recipe, and I've got to use them up
*somehow*).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> This is what I'm planning to make:
>
> roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread
>
> white bean and cabbage soup
>
> aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
> stuffed red peppers[2]
> slow-roasted onions[3]
> apple lambic
>
> Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]
>
> shortbread with orange marmalade
> Dolce
>
> Bob
> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with
> olive oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
> [2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there was
> some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon ground
> together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar, seasoned with
> salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
> [3]
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...icorice-powder
> [4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
> Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a walnut
> dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of
> Roquefort, and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.

I'm doing Little Smokies in BBQ sauce for daughter and husband. I'll have a
hamburger patty. Also Tater Tots, black olives and either green beans and
baby carrots. All finger foods.

Will probably pop corn prior to the fireworks. Not sure how many there will
be this year. Some years they go on until the sun comes up.

For New Year's day, we'll have leftover meatloaf and faux pierogies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:49:26 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> [1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with
> >> olive oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper

> > This sounds really good to me, do you have a recipe link to post?

> It's based on this:
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
> but I modify the seasonings and the vegetables to fit the occasion. In this
> case I'm adding thyme and maybe oil-cured olives (since I bought a container
> of oil-cured olives for the onion recipe, and I've got to use them up
> *somehow*).

Thanks, Bob - looks nice and healthy! I might make that for NYE too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:50:32 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> Is anyone else making appetizers?

I like Bob's roasted vegetable spread.

Besides that, these appealed to me

Plum and Brie Bites
http://www.foodmayhem.com/2010/12/pl...rie-bites.html
I may use this filling instead
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Recipe...recipeID=50146

Artichoke Parmesan Crostini
http://www.marthastewart.com

Upside Down Mushroom Tartlets
http://www.marthastewart.com

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 5:51*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> This is what I'm planning to make:
>
> roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread

Nothing that interesting here.

Grilled porterhouse steaks, a simple salad and baked potatoes. No
alcohol or sodapop.

--Bryan
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
This is what I'm planning to make:

roasted vegetable dip[1] with artisanal bread

white bean and cabbage soup

aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)
stuffed red peppers[2]
slow-roasted onions[3]
apple lambic

Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish[4]

shortbread with orange marmalade
Dolce

Bob
[1] Roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and zucchini blended with olive
oil, thyme, cream cheese, salt, and pepper
[2] There was no pork shoulder at the farmers' market today, but there was
some gorgeous lamb, so the stuffing will be lamb loin and bacon ground
together with garlic and rosemary-infused red wine vinegar, seasoned with
salt and pepper, then mixed with bread crumbs.
[3]
Slow-Roasted Sweet Onions with "Licorice" Powder Recipe - Michel Bras | Food & Wine
[4] This is adapted from _The French Laundry_. In that book, it's a
Roquefort mousse with pear puree, a sweet/savory pear relish, and a walnut
dacquoise (meringue cookie). I'm using Bleu d'Auvergne instead of Roquefort,
and I'm making a pecan streusel instead of the dacquoise.
I hope you know this crowd well enough that they enjoy the lambic. It certainly is not to everyone's tastes. You may wish to purchase a few bottle of New Glarus Cherry red(cherry) or their Apple beer. I love lambics, but I noticed that my friends who don't go nuts over these two. Very fruity, made with good malt and a very well made finished product. Although the process of making lambic cannot be repilicated but in an area around Brussels. I tried it anyways. It is odd to allow mold to grow on your beer. It halts fermentation, though, and renders a nice, low alcohol fruit brew. You can come close at home; but you'll never beat the original.

No pork shoulder? Odd. I'll take lamb over almost anything, though.

Nice mellow menu that will allow you to enjoy as well.

Laisse les bon temps ruler (my apologies, my French sucks.)

I'm going with bacon wrapped duck breasts, stuffed mushrooms, braised veal hearts, canned smoked fish from the Columbia river(WA), and some Vieux Chateau de Roi (sp?)red , still trying to figure out a white, and imperial stout/DAB/brown ale/NG Belgian cherry red. You pick.

What to add, what to add. All easy stuff to make and enjoy hassle free. Those plum/brie bites look cool.

I might just grab a half-pound of 10 year old cheddar that some suggest doesn't exist. Horseradish Havarti is nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gorio wrote:

> I hope you know this crowd well enough that they enjoy the lambic. It
> certainly is not to everyone's tastes. You may wish to purchase a few
> bottle of New Glarus Cherry red(cherry) or their Apple beer. I love
> lambics, but I noticed that my friends who don't go nuts over these two.
> Very fruity, made with good malt and a very well made finished product.
> Although the process of making lambic cannot be repilicated but in an area
> around Brussels. I tried it anyways. It is odd to allow mold to grow on
> your beer. It halts fermentation, though, and renders a nice, low alcohol
> fruit brew. You can come close at home; but you'll never beat the
> original.

I floated the idea of hard apple cider or honey mead as alternatives, but
the lambic was the winner. We've all had lambic before. Thanks for the New
Glarus recommendations; I'll seek them out anyway.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2010 10:57 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Gorio wrote:
>
>> I hope you know this crowd well enough that they enjoy the lambic. It
>> certainly is not to everyone's tastes. You may wish to purchase a few
>> bottle of New Glarus Cherry red(cherry) or their Apple beer. I love
>> lambics, but I noticed that my friends who don't go nuts over these
>> two. Very fruity, made with good malt and a very well made finished
>> product. Although the process of making lambic cannot be repilicated
>> but in an area around Brussels. I tried it anyways. It is odd to allow
>> mold to grow on your beer. It halts fermentation, though, and renders
>> a nice, low alcohol fruit brew. You can come close at home; but you'll
>> never beat the original.

> I floated the idea of hard apple cider or honey mead as alternatives,
> but the lambic was the winner. We've all had lambic before. Thanks
> the New Glarus recommendations; I'll seek them out anyway.t f
>
> Bob

I just found a recipe for Apple cider ice cream with brandy that I"m
considering :-)

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Report: New Year's Eve Menu

I wrote:

> roasted vegetable dip with artisanal bread

This was okay; nothing special because it was "sensible" in all its
components.

> white bean and cabbage soup

This got changed into the "St. Nicholas Soup" recipe from the monk soup
cookbook. It's a soup which cooks onion, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and
cabbage in water, then blends it. I omitted the turnips. I thought it turned
out weak and watery, but Lin loved it.

> aligot (cheesy-stretchy mashed potatoes)

This was *fun* and very tasty, but Lin was afraid of it because she thought
it had to be loaded with fat (it wasn't).

> stuffed red peppers

This was merely okay as well; the stuffing wasn't seasoned strongly enough.
Better too little than too much, because the seasoning was garlic and
fir-infused vinegar. I should have fried and tasted a patty of the stuff so
that the seasoning could have been adjusted.

> slow-roasted onions

This was a very long process: You cook the peeled onions upright under foil
for FOUR HOURS, then remove the foil and cook them for another two hours.
What you get from that six hours of cooking is exceptional, though: The
outside had toughened and caramelized while the interior had become
meltingly soft -- for all the world like a toasted marshmallow. The garnish
and dressing didn't seem to be the best-suited accompaniments; if I make
this again I'll change those elements. (Also, the onions, potatoes, and
peppers went together very, very well.)

> apple lambic

We had Lindeman's Pomme Apple Lambic, and both liked it very much.

> Blue d'Auvergne trifle with pear relish

This was also an exceptional dish. That Thomas Keller must know a thing or
two about composed cheese plates after all. The blue-cheese mousse was very
rich, and Lin thought that the blue-cheese taste was a bit too strong. (Of
course, if the blue cheese *hadn't* been made into a mousse it would have
been a LOT stronger!)

> shortbread with orange marmalade
> Dolce

The shortbread part got changed: We had (thawed) peaches arranged on an oval
dessert plate. One side had a little pool of peach schnapps; the other side
had a little pool of the syrup from the brandied mandarins I made a month
ago. Whipped cream went on top of that, and nutmeg was grated over it all.

It was a nice way to ring in the new year!

As usual, pictures will be posted on Lin's Facebook page because Sheldon can
eat a bag of shit.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:12 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > roasted vegetable dip with artisanal bread

> This was okay; nothing special because it was "sensible" in all its
> components.

I made it too. People liked it, but if I do it again I'll double up
the vegetables... or maybe I won't roast them at all and just add some
roasted garlic. I didn't roast for 45 minutes, because they were well
browned and cooked through after 20.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 4:34*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:12 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> > wrote:
> > I wrote:

> > > roasted vegetable dip with artisanal bread

> > This was okay; nothing special because it was "sensible" in all its
> > components.

> I made it too. *People liked it, but if I do it again I'll double up
> the vegetables... or maybe I won't roast them at all and just add some
> roasted garlic. *I didn't roast for 45 minutes, because they were well
> brownedhttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-eggplant-spread-recipe/index.html and cooked through after 20.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

I like this spread from Ina Garten...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 17:00:17 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 4:34*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:12 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > This was okay; nothing special because it was "sensible" in all its
> > > components.

> > I made it too. *People liked it, but if I do it again I'll double up
> > the vegetables... or maybe I won't roast them at all and just add some
> > roasted garlic. *I didn't roast for 45 minutes, because they were well
> > browned after 20.
> >

> I like this spread from Ina Garten...
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Mmm. That *does* look good. Wish I'd seen it yesterday... Safeway
had roasted eggplant but I didn't have an excuse to buy any.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

> wrote:

>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

>The eggplant in this isn't preroasted. It should roast along with all
>the other vegetables...you don't want a totally roasted eggplant... It
>would be too mushy for this.

Interesting; does liquid come out of the eggplant which you
discard before proceeding with blending? That always happens
to me when I make babaganoush.

With babaganoush you can try to correct for overcooked
eggplant by adding more tahini. That's not an option for this recipe.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 01:52:59 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > wrote:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

> >The eggplant in this isn't preroasted. It should roast along with all
> >the other vegetables...you don't want a totally roasted eggplant... It
> >would be too mushy for this.

> Interesting; does liquid come out of the eggplant which you
> discard before proceeding with blending? That always happens
> to me when I make babaganoush.
>
> With babaganoush you can try to correct for overcooked
> eggplant by adding more tahini. That's not an option for this recipe.

It's a good thing I've never tried to make babaganoush then because I
would have over cooked the eggplant.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Why Taco Bell is turning its health menu into a muscle menu Travis McGee General Cooking 2 12-07-2014 02:48 PM
New Year's Menu? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 11 31-12-2013 01:41 AM
New Year's menu? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 26 02-01-2011 10:15 AM
what's on your New Year's Eve menu? Dawn General Cooking 28 03-01-2004 03:16 AM