Dawn

Default what's on your New Year's Eve menu?

Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
quiet night at home?

We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
an evening of socializing.

Dawn

CapnFntasy

We're having a dinner on New Years Day too. I'm serving Oaxacan chicken mole
negro, roasted brussel sprouts with chorizo , sauteed winter greens, roasted
carrots and parsnips with cumin and cayenne ,
gratin of butternut squash with chipotle and cotija cheese.

-Suz

>Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
>quiet night at home?
>
>We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
>light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
>olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
>meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
>platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
>fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
>an evening of socializing.
>

>Dawn

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Dawn at
wrote on 12/30/03 7:30 PM:

> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.
>

> Dawn

Having 4 friends over for appetizers and dinner.

Everything will be simple and easy on the hostess (both workwise and on the
budget)!

Cheese and assorted crackers, (swiss, 2 kinds of cheddar)
Veggies and 2 kinds of dip (one of the guests is bringing these, so I don't
know what they will be)
Little hot dogs (one of the guys asked if he could bring anything, I
suggested "an appetizer" and he said "It's not new years eve without little
hot dogs, can I bring those or do you have them already?" So I said he could
bring them. i wasn't going to have them, but since he wants them, and he
offered, fine with me.)
Olives and pickles
Shrimp with cocktail sauce (my one concession to elegance)
Chips and pretzels

Dinner is:
Pork Loin Roasted with onions and apples
Homemade Scalloped potatoes
broccoli (friend is bringing)
Glazed Carrots
Crescent rolls (Pillsbury....) and butter.

Dessert is:
Pepperidge Farm Fudge Cake
Friendly's Ice Cream Roll
Cookies
Coffee/tea or decaf will be offered, if they want it, I'll make it.

Non-alcoholic punch (2 guests do not drink alcohol at all), wine, whatever
liquor I have on hand (Gin, tequila, rum....a bit of Jack D....assorted
liquers) and I bought some tonic water because my best friend prefers a
stiff G&T to a glass of wine! And I have an assortment of sodas if people
want that. For wine, I have on hand Emeril's red table wine, (it's not that
bad, really) Bolla Bardolino, Yellow Tail Merlot, a couple bottles of White
Zin, another rose wine, something french that someone gave me....some
Leaping Horse chardonnay--a pinot grigio, which I will probably serve with
dinner, and offer the Emeril's red also, since it's open. And a bottle of
Asti Spumante for midnight toasting. I have bought them good California
Champagne in past years, and they dont't like it, sooooo I went for the
sweeter Asti, if they dont' drink it, oh well, it didn't cost me much!

It's more about the food than the drinking, anyway.

This is a very low key crowd and I am looking forward to a low-key night
with them, it just happens to be the last night of the year!

And yes, I will be serving on real dishes and using real glasses and
flatware. I have enough, there are only 5 of us!!!!!! :-)

Boron Elgar

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:30:45 GMT, Dawn >
wrote:

>Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
>quiet night at home?
>
>We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
>light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
>olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
>meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
>platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
>fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
>an evening of socializing.
>

>Dawn

We, too, are having tamales, along with extensive hors d'oeuvres and
finger foods. This is all done for a party we give only for our 3
children each New Years and have held for many years.

It was cuter when they were younger, of course, as they drank first
milk, then later, soda from plastic champagne saucers, but they get
the works each year...helium balloons, crackers, confetti.

Boron
notbob

On 2003-12-31, Dawn > wrote:
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?

Steamed Dungeness crab live off the boat ...some wine, a
loaf of bread... you know the drill.

nb

kalanamak

Dawn wrote:

> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?

New Years Eve will mean chopping a whole bag of onions and over a
hundred cloves of garlic, enough hot pepper to peel the hands and
mincing a whole hand of ginger, all to slow cook overnight before adding
the tomatoes and cooking quarts of masala, for the deep freeze, for
quick meals. NYDay...clean out closets, something I hoped to do over
Thanksgiving, but I had GAStroenterITIS, instead. "Sposed to snow here,
and everyone, but me and thee, in the PNW drives like they are pithed
when it snows, so I'll stay home.
blacksalt
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dawn
> wrote:

> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?

Prime rib, baked potatoes, vegetable, salad, rolls, dessert, (cherry
cream pie and German's Chocolate Pie) wine, coffee. Before, Sam's
Club Seafood Cheese Spread on crackers, and Three Little Piggies sausage
from Zabar's in New York.

Baked French toast thang for breakfast, accompanied by pork sausage
(ground pork seasoned with Penzeys Sausage seasoning), juices, fresh
fruits.

It's a sleepover. Not here.
--
-Barb
12-28-03: Tourtiere picture added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Chris

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?

Quiet evening at home, filet mignon, baked potato...a nice cheesecake for
dessert.

;-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes

We will start with smoked eel. Possibly white anchovies and creme
fraiche on crackers. Then Wellfleet oysters with raspberry mignonette.

Bison tenderloin steaks.

Risotto made with stock from a leftover pheasant carcass and dried
porcini.

Greens to be determined in the morning.

Desserts and wines are somebody else's responsibility. I think there
will be a broad assortment of hard ciders.

Cheese and dessert wine.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism
Taffy Stoker

wrote:

>Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
>quiet night at home?

Quiet night at home. Nothing special for dinner planned and will most
likely spend the evening catching up on and folding laundry. :-)

alzelt

kalanamak wrote:

> Dawn wrote:
>
>>Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
>>quiet night at home?

> New Years Eve will mean chopping a whole bag of onions and over a
> hundred cloves of garlic, enough hot pepper to peel the hands and
> mincing a whole hand of ginger, all to slow cook overnight before adding
> the tomatoes and cooking quarts of masala, for the deep freeze, for
> quick meals. NYDay...clean out closets, something I hoped to do over
> Thanksgiving, but I had GAStroenterITIS, instead. "Sposed to snow here,
> and everyone, but me and thee, in the PNW drives like they are pithed
> when it snows, so I'll stay home.
> blacksalt

Well, if it doesn't snow, or melts from the rain that is sure to follow,
the SBF and I will have an early Sushi dinner at I Love Sushi in
Bellevue, followed by visiting with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton for
a couple of hours. Then its time to watch the fireworks at the Space Needle.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

JimLane

Dawn wrote:

> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.
>

> Dawn

Following a light dinner out - couple of DVDs and some wine. Breakfast
at a local Mexican joint with a group of friends (I'm being added to the
tradition).

jim
Sam D.

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.

Right now I am so partied out from all the dinners and social events between
Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am in serious need of some quiet time at home
for New Years. Maybe I'll watch others celebrate on TV but not up it myself
this time.

sf

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:31:59 -0800, JimLane
> wrote:

> Dawn wrote:
>
> > Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> > quiet night at home?

I wish I could either go to a good movie or have a few
friends over, but we're going over to relatives - party with
them and spend the night. Not at the top of my to do list,
but sometimes you need to do the right thing whether you
want to or not.

Rusty

Dawn wrote:
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.
>

> Dawn

For us it's traditionally Fondue. We will have cheese fondue with
French bread, blanched broccoli and cauliflower for dipping.
Wines will be a Sauvignon Blanc and a chilled Beaujolais.

Then beef, chicken and shrimp for cooking in hot oil along with a
tossed salad. Wines will be a Bordeaux and whatever sil provides.

Dessert is Chocolate Fondue with cake, marshmallows, strawberries,
pears etc. for dipping. Wine will probably be a red with Champagne
at the midnight hour.

It's a long leisurely dinner at our daughter and son-in-law's home.
The grandchildren and their dates and friends usually join us for
a wonderful evening.

New Year's Day is traditionally Pork and Sauerkraut along with lots
of football games to watch on TV.

Happy New Year everyone. Rusty

Nancy Young

Rusty wrote:

> New Year's Day is traditionally Pork and Sauerkraut along with lots
> of football games to watch on TV.

I wasn't aware it was traditional, but that's what I'm having.
Tonight it was lobster tails, whooowee!

> Happy New Year everyone. Rusty

Same here.

nancy
BillKirch

>We, too, are having tamales

#################
What is this with Tamales during the holidays? They push them on the television
and I hear about people eating,buying them. I like Tamales...but I've never
associated them with the holidays. BG
Dawn

BillKirch wrote:

>>We, too, are having tamales

> #################
> What is this with Tamales during the holidays? They push them on the television
> and I hear about people eating,buying them. I like Tamales...but I've never
> associated them with the holidays. BG

In the American Southwest, or at least in San Antonio tamales are
traditionally made during the Christmas-New Year holiday. The whole
family shows up for the day and all the women gather in the kitchen and
make tamales to be enjoyed at the big feast later that night. Or, if
your familiy was less extended, you bought a big can from your favorite
resturant and steamed them at home. Our neighbors used to do that, and
since a "can" of tamales is the size of one of those 3-flavor popcorn
tins they'd have hundreds and usually ended up feeding most of the
neighborhood.

Dawn

cynthia mason

A Southern tradition on New Years is to have black eyed peas and hog
jowl. This assures good luck. We also have tamales - but not the
Mexican type- more beef and less masa...delish!!!

MareCat

wrote:

>Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
>quiet night at home?

We celebrated with a quiet night at home--just hubby, our
11-month-old, and me. Picked up some frozen appetizers at Costco and
grazed all evening.

After spending the last 5 days in Sandy Eggo visiting hubby's family,
we needed a rest. Tomorrow (today?) will be a low-key day as well.

Mary

-L.

Dawn > wrote in message >...
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?

Quiet night at the home range. We are still recovering from
intestinal flu - it has been almost two weeks for both of us.

menu:

"BSE-free Pasta":
Sauce with ground turkey and turkey sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms,
yellow and green peppers, zuchini, portobellas, white muschrooms,
fresh garlic and basil, and Italian Spice Mix. Homemade pasta
noodles.

Roasted Garlic on crustini

Sauteed spinach

Champagne

Dark chocolate Gelato with raspberry coulis

Tomorrow it's blackeyed peas seasoned with hambone, bay leaf, onion,
tomatoes and a little thyme; cornbread; steamed cabbage.

Cheers!

-L.
Dave Smith

Dawn wrote:

> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just =

> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.

We had some crape in phyllo canap=E9s early in the evening. Later on I gr=
illed
some shrimp that had been soaking in a spicy marinade, and pan seared
scallops in a saffron citron beurre blanc, salad and nice fresh bread.

S.Dunlap

Boron Elgar > wrote in message >. ..

> We, too, are having tamales, along with extensive hors d'oeuvres and
> finger foods. This is all done for a party we give only for our 3
> children each New Years and have held for many years.
>
> It was cuter when they were younger, of course, as they drank first
> milk, then later, soda from plastic champagne saucers, but they get
> the works each year...helium balloons, crackers, confetti.
>
> Boron

Tamale here also...along with Pina Coladas and torrejas - a sweet made
withwhite corn meal, egg white, cinnamon, and sugar.

new Year's Day - American style chili.

Sandi
S.Dunlap

Dawn > wrote in message >...
> BillKirch wrote:
>
> >>We, too, are having tamales

> > #################
> > What is this with Tamales during the holidays? They push them on the television
> > and I hear about people eating,buying them. I like Tamales...but I've never
> > associated them with the holidays. BG

> In the American Southwest, or at least in San Antonio tamales are
> traditionally made during the Christmas-New Year holiday. The whole
> family shows up for the day and all the women gather in the kitchen and
> make tamales to be enjoyed at the big feast later that night. Or, if
> your familiy was less extended, you bought a big can from your favorite
> resturant and steamed them at home. Our neighbors used to do that, and
> since a "can" of tamales is the size of one of those 3-flavor popcorn
> tins they'd have hundreds and usually ended up feeding most of the
> neighborhood.
>

> Dawn

In Hispanic communites, tamales are the holiday special. I live in
Honduras - tamales for Christmas, tamales for New Years. A labor
intensive special treat that involves a friendly gathering of family
and friends to mass produce the goodies.

Sandi
anna maria

Dawn wrote:
> Just curious, are you serving something fancy, having a party, or just a
> quiet night at home?
>
> We are actually celebrating on New Year's Day, and I have planned a
> light supper of tamales, roasted cornish hen stuffed with ham and
> olives, and marinated asparagus with prosciutto, to be followed by a
> meat and cheese tray, a vegetable tray with fondue, and a cookie
> platter. I've made 4 kinds of cookies, fruitcupcakes, and will have
> fresh gingerbread as well. We'll have company over for the dinner, and
> an evening of socializing.
>

> Dawn

after bad experiences of new years eve parties out in the last few
years, finally this time we decided to invite few friends over.
i cooked what i call "smoked" pasta with smoked bacon and smoked cheese,
pot roast of beef with bacon, traditional lentils with sausage,
chocolate cake "torta gianduia" with hazelnuts, and of course panettone
and prosecco wine. with my friends was the best new years eve in ages.

HAPPY NEW YEAH TO ALL!

Anna Maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Reg

anna maria wrote:

> i cooked what i call "smoked" pasta with smoked bacon and smoked cheese

Anna Maria,

Do you have a recipe/description?

Thanks.

anna maria

Reg wrote:
> anna maria wrote:
>
>> i cooked what i call "smoked" pasta with smoked bacon and smoked cheese

> Anna Maria,
>
> Do you have a recipe/description?
>
> Thanks.

PASTA AFFUMICATA
pasta with smoked sauce

4–5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 oz (115 gr) speck (smoked ham) or smoked bacon, diced
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1 lb (450 gr) pasta (penne or rigatoni)
2 oz (60 gr) parmigiano cheese, freshly grated
2 oz (60 gr) scamorza affumicata cheese or smoked gouda (or other smoked
cheese), freshly grated

In a frying pan, pour the olive oil, and add the smoked bacon.
Fry over medium heat until lightly browned.
Add tomatoes and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and cook until sauce thickens.
Cook the pasta in abundant salt water following manufacturer’s
instructions. Taste for readiness from time to time, until al dente
(firm but not too soft or overcooked). Drain and transfer to a bowl.
Top with the sauce and toss thoroughly.
Add the grated parmigiano and smoked cheese. Serve at once.

Normally i don't use cream in my tomato sauces, but in this case I like
the sauce to have a sweeter and smoother taste.

ciao,

Anna Maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Why Taco Bell is turning its health menu into a muscle menu Travis McGee General Cooking 2 12-07-2014 02:48 PM
New Year's Menu? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 11 31-12-2013 12:41 AM
New Year's Eve Menu Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 21 02-01-2011 08:24 PM
New Year's menu? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 26 02-01-2011 09:15 AM