FoodBanter.com

-   -   New Year's Menu? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/426965-new-years-menu.html)

Cheri[_3_] 29-12-2013 07:30 AM

New Year's Menu?

I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
Year everyone.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 29-12-2013 08:58 AM

New Year's Menu?

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things
> to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
> something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just
> be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower
> salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold
> suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.
>
> Cheri

I had a coupon for some little wrapped Kosher hot dogs. I got those for
husband. Otherwise it will be the sorts of things you mentioned. I often
pop popcorn. And I will open my can of black eyed peas.

When I could eat cheese, I liked cheese stuffed Anaheim's. Sorry, no
recipe. I got it online. The same one no longer seems to be there. But I
have seen similar.

Cheri[_3_] 29-12-2013 03:40 PM

New Year's Menu?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things
>> to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
>> something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just
>> be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower
>> salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold
>> suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.
>>
>> Cheri

> I had a coupon for some little wrapped Kosher hot dogs. I got those for
> husband. Otherwise it will be the sorts of things you mentioned. I often
> pop popcorn. And I will open my can of black eyed peas.
>
> When I could eat cheese, I liked cheese stuffed Anaheim's. Sorry, no
> recipe. I got it online. The same one no longer seems to be there. But
> I have seen similar.

I like little hot dogs. I'm going to Costco tomorrow so will look for
something like that too. On New Years Day I will make black eyed peas and
cornbread, will give most of it away to a couple of friends that expect it.
Happy New Year Julie.

Cheri

W. Baker 29-12-2013 06:57 PM

New Year's Menu?

Cheri > wrote:

: I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
: give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
: simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
: of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
: cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
: Year everyone.

: Cheri

Smoked Salmon! You can even, if you like, use cream cheese stuffed into
celery stalks with the salmon laid on top for a low carb version. It goes
well on crackers, or that dark scandinavian rye or pumpernickle, etc., not
just with bagels. For a salad like treat, take a thick slice of tomato
top with sliced red onionandthen the smoked salmon or lox. If you canget
hot smoked salmon that is also very god, even just plain or on a crcker or
cucmber slice.

Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.

BessieBee[_3_] 29-12-2013 09:17 PM

New Year's Menu?

On 12/29/2013 11:57 AM, W. Baker wrote:

> Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
> blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.

Must be a musician thing. My son, a music education major at Mizzou,
has been blowing his trombone (his major instrument is euphonium) out of
the window for several years. I know he really looks forward to that.
I won't be with him at New Years, but will be thinking about him then
and will include you and Syd in my thoughts.

--
BessieBee

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright

Cheri[_3_] 29-12-2013 09:20 PM

New Year's Menu?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
>
> : I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of
> things to
> : give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
> something
> : simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the
> two
> : of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad,
> salami,
> : cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy
> New
> : Year everyone.
>
> : Cheri
>
> Smoked Salmon! You can even, if you like, use cream cheese stuffed into
> celery stalks with the salmon laid on top for a low carb version. It goes
> well on crackers, or that dark scandinavian rye or pumpernickle, etc., not
> just with bagels. For a salad like treat, take a thick slice of tomato
> top with sliced red onionandthen the smoked salmon or lox. If you canget
> hot smoked salmon that is also very god, even just plain or on a crcker or
> cucmber slice.
>
> Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
> blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.

I love smoked salmon, but didn't think of it, thanks!!! I know Syd will be
there in spirit. Happy New Year Wendy.

Cheri

W. Baker 29-12-2013 11:33 PM

New Year's Menu?

BessieBee > wrote:
: On 12/29/2013 11:57 AM, W. Baker wrote:

: > Wendy-who will, once again , be alone this new Years Eve and missing Syd
: > blowing his rumpet out the window at midnight, auld lang syne, of course.
: >
: Must be a musician thing. My son, a music education major at Mizzou,
: has been blowing his trombone (his major instrument is euphonium) out of
: the window for several years. I know he really looks forward to that.
: I won't be with him at New Years, but will be thinking about him then
: and will include you and Syd in my thoughts.

: --
: BessieBee

: I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
: .....Steven Wright

It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
double bass out the window:-)

Thanks for the thoughts. I will think of you thinking of me and not feel
so alone.

Wendy

BessieBee[_3_] 30-12-2013 03:55 AM

New Year's Menu?

On 12/29/2013 4:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:

> It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
> brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
> double bass out the window:-)

As a longtime flute player I can agree totally with the loudness of the
brasses. I can, however, assure you that I can probably shatter windows
in the next block with my piccolo. (-:

W. Baker 30-12-2013 05:05 AM

New Year's Menu?

BessieBee > wrote:
: On 12/29/2013 4:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:

: > It is a musician thing, particularly if you play a nice loud one like the
: > brasses. Not much point to use a flute or oboe and how do you get a
: > double bass out the window:-)

: As a longtime flute player I can agree totally with the loudness of the
: brasses. I can, however, assure you that I can probably shatter windows
: in the next block with my piccolo. (-:

: --
: BessieBee

: I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
: .....Steven Wright
Also ear drums! My daughter is a flutist(or flautist) and I listened to
her practice at one end of he apartment as my husband practised the
trumpet at teh otherend. I had to learn to turn it off:-)

Wendy

Cheri[_3_] 30-12-2013 07:12 PM

New Year's Menu?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/28/2013 10:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of
>> things to give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like
>> to something simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will
>> just be the two of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think
>> cauliflower salad, salami, cheeses, olives and things like that. Any
>> other cold suggestions? Happy New Year everyone.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> We don't celebrate New Years much, so I really don't have
> much to offer. (My next holiday is the 7th.) But here goes:
> if any of your guests or yourself is a non-drinker and also
> low carb, try taking a flavored sparkling mineral water and
> add bit of fresh squeezed juice to it. I like to add lemon
> to orange flavored water. Nice and exotic. You can also
> crack jokes about last Thursday being a good vintage.
>
> And a blessed and prosperous new year to you and everyone!
>
> -T

Happy New Year to you too. There will just be the two of us, so if I do have
a cocktail...it will be a tomato beer, made with Miller Chill. :-)

Cheri

bigwheel 30-12-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri[_3_] (Post 1894456)
I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving, lots of things to
give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to something
simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the two
of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad, salami,
cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy New
Year everyone.

Cheri

How about some cold black eyed peas aka Okiehoma Caviar?

Jenny's Oklahoma Caviar*recipe - from the The Gathering Book Family Cookbook

Cheri[_3_] 31-12-2013 01:41 AM

New Year's Menu?

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Cheri[_3_ Wrote:
>> ;1894456']I've been doing a whole lot of cooking since Thanksgiving,
>> lots of things to
>> give away, cookies, candies, breads, cakes, etc. so would like to
>> something
>> simple for New Years Eve. We will stay home and there will just be the
>> two
>> of us, so I'm going to go with cold food. I think cauliflower salad,
>> salami,
>> cheeses, olives and things like that. Any other cold suggestions? Happy
>> New
>> Year everyone.
>>
>> Cheri

> How about some cold black eyed peas aka Okiehoma Caviar?
>
> 'Jenny's Oklahoma Caviar recipe - from the The Gathering Book Family
> Cookbook' (http://tinyurl.com/n844v77)
>

> --
> bigwheel

That does sound good, but friends like the regular hot kind with cornbread
so I'll make that.

Cheri