Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default carbs in Rumsford baking power

Hi All,

Clabber Girl just got back to me with the carbs in their
Aluminum free baking powder:

.148 g. per serving (1/8 t.), or
1.184 g. per teaspoon

Ingredients:
http://www.clabbergirl.com/pdf/R-114RumfordBPFS.pdf

Rumford Baking Powder contains monocalcium phosphate,
sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade
cornstarch made from non-genetically modified corn

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: Clabber Girl just got back to me with the carbs in their
: Aluminum free baking powder:

: .148 g. per serving (1/8 t.), or
: 1.184 g. per teaspoon

: Ingredients:
: http://www.clabbergirl.com/pdf/R-114RumfordBPFS.pdf

: Rumford Baking Powder contains monocalcium phosphate,
: sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade
: cornstarch made from non-genetically modified corn

: -T

Ignore htat kind of amount. We don't look for perfection or zero carbs.
Don't get obscessed, just live with it.

Wendx
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/01/2013 01:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Clabber Girl just got back to me with the carbs in their
> : Aluminum free baking powder:
>
> : .148 g. per serving (1/8 t.), or
> : 1.184 g. per teaspoon
>
> : Ingredients:
> : http://www.clabbergirl.com/pdf/R-114RumfordBPFS.pdf
>
> : Rumford Baking Powder contains monocalcium phosphate,
> : sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade
> : cornstarch made from non-genetically modified corn
>
> : -T
>
> Ignore htat kind of amount. We don't look for perfection or zero carbs.
> Don't get obscessed, just live with it.
>
> Wendx

Hi Wendy,

I had originally thought they were 5 g per teaspoon. The bad labeling
laws means that under 1 carb, means they can say zero. That is what
I thought was behind the extra tiny 1/8 teaspoon. I had presumed that
it was 0.9 g per 1/8 tsp. I was planning on using 1 full tsp in
one of my concoctions. Those extra four carbs will be replaced with
blueberries.

I am getting close to drug free. As of last week I jumped down
from 500 mg Met twice a day, to 250 mg (pill cutter) twice a
day. Originally I was on 1000 mg twice a day. Each time I have
dropped, my morning fasting BG is slightly lower. My A1c,
which is a sloppy test, dropped too. Yipee!

By drug free (I hate drugs), I do not mean medicine free. I use
traditional medicine. I am 15 carbs max per meal, 60 max per day.
Maybe when I hit drug free for half a year or so, I will get
brave, bump up to 20 carbs per meal, test a lot, and see how I do.

Thank you for the pep talk!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 08/01/2013 01:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
[...]

Glad you are getting good control, but why rush to get off the Metformin
unless it bothers your stomach, in which case the extended release works
for many of us. I have beenon it now for over 17 years with no problems
adn a little more ability to have variety in my food, particulrly in fruit
which i do love. You arae on the least problematic drug for
diabetes and they keep finding good things about this drug whihc, as you
know is a generic for a along time, so new good things bout it are not
beign pursued my big Pharma so I feel they can be trusted more.

Don't let some macho feeling make yo thin it is somehow more virtuous or
healthier to be totally off this particular drug. It does not make yo
better than thoses who use it or other drugs.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/02/2013 11:57 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 08/01/2013 01:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Todd > wrote:
> : > : Hi All,
> : >
> : > : Clabber Girl just got back to me with the carbs in their
> : > : Aluminum free baking powder:
> : >
> : > : .148 g. per serving (1/8 t.), or
> : > : 1.184 g. per teaspoon
> : >
> : > : Ingredients:
> : > : http://www.clabbergirl.com/pdf/R-114RumfordBPFS.pdf
> : >
> : > : Rumford Baking Powder contains monocalcium phosphate,
> : > : sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade
> : > : cornstarch made from non-genetically modified corn
> : >
> : > : -T
> : >
> : > Ignore htat kind of amount. We don't look for perfection or zero carbs.
> : > Don't get obscessed, just live with it.
> : >
> : > Wendx
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : I had originally thought they were 5 g per teaspoon. The bad labeling
> : laws means that under 1 carb, means they can say zero. That is what
> : I thought was behind the extra tiny 1/8 teaspoon. I had presumed that
> : it was 0.9 g per 1/8 tsp. I was planning on using 1 full tsp in
> : one of my concoctions. Those extra four carbs will be replaced with
> : blueberries.
>
> : I am getting close to drug free. As of last week I jumped down
> : from 500 mg Met twice a day, to 250 mg (pill cutter) twice a
> : day. Originally I was on 1000 mg twice a day. Each time I have
> : dropped, my morning fasting BG is slightly lower. My A1c,
> : which is a sloppy test, dropped too. Yipee!
>
> : By drug free (I hate drugs), I do not mean medicine free. I use
> : traditional medicine. I am 15 carbs max per meal, 60 max per day.
> : Maybe when I hit drug free for half a year or so, I will get
> : brave, bump up to 20 carbs per meal, test a lot, and see how I do.
>
> : Thank you for the pep talk!
>
> : -T
>
> Glad you are getting good control, but why rush to get off the Metformin
> unless it bothers your stomach,

The trips down the hall are annoying to say the least. The 250's I
am on now, have cut way back on that problem.

> in which case the extended release works
> for many of us. I have beenon it now for over 17 years with no problems
> adn a little more ability to have variety in my food, particulrly in fruit
> which i do love. You arae on the least problematic drug for
> diabetes and they keep finding good things about this drug whihc, as you
> know is a generic for a along time, so new good things bout it are not
> beign pursued my big Pharma so I feel they can be trusted more.

Met is probably the only Diabetes drug that will not end its life cycle
in a class action suit. And, at $10.00 for three months supply, no one
is trying to pull something over on us. This is reassuring. The
Traditional Medicine I am taking is more expensive.

Also, bear in mind, even if I eventually become drug free, I will
not be medicine free.

> Don't let some macho feeling make yo thin it is somehow more virtuous or
> healthier to be totally off this particular drug. It does not make yo
> better than thoses who use it or other drugs.

Macho and virtue have nothing to do with it. I just hate drugs.
I do use a lot of Traditional Medicine.

If I have given any impression that I am better than anyone else
because I am trying to go drug free, please forgive me. Drugs are
sometimes necessary. I am only talking about myself and my personal
preferences.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> I had horrid ill effects from metformin that have never completely gone
> away, particularly the hypokalemia and spasms.
>
> Most folks I know who quit it are much less tired, achey and find little
> difference in their blood glucose levels, except fasting.

Achey? I'm not usually achey. I do have Fibromyalgia but my symptoms began
prior to taking Metformin.

> All drugs have good and bad effects, variable by person. If one is
> managing without one, it's better to get rid of it and let your liver,
> kidneys and adrenals rest and heal.
>
> Now, back to food!
>
> Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> [...]

> Met is probably the only Diabetes drug that will not end its life cycle
> in a class action suit. And, at $10.00 for three months supply, no one
> is trying to pull something over on us. This is reassuring. The
> Traditional Medicine I am taking is more expensive.
>
> Also, bear in mind, even if I eventually become drug free, I will
> not be medicine free.
>
> > Don't let some macho feeling make yo thin it is somehow more virtuous or
> > healthier to be totally off this particular drug. It does not make yo
> > better than thoses who use it or other drugs.

> Macho and virtue have nothing to do with it. I just hate drugs.
> I do use a lot of Traditional Medicine.
>
> If I have given any impression that I am better than anyone else
> because I am trying to go drug free, please forgive me. Drugs are
> sometimes necessary. I am only talking about myself and my personal

And please don't forget exercise. Get a good sweat going before dinner,
and your b.g. will barely budge.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/03/2013 10:28 AM, Billy wrote:
> And please don't forget exercise. Get a good sweat going before dinner,
> and your b.g. will barely budge.

An (another) excuse to go fishing? Why, why, BILLY SAID SO!

I actually hate exercise. I rode a stationary bike once and
thought I'd died and gone to hell. But, you put a fishing pole
in my hand, point me in the direction out the trout, and I
will crawl over rocks, hike uphill both ways, etc..

I try to get out two to three times a week. Sometimes,
only for a half hour after I eat my bag lunch. Sometimes
while I wait for a customer appointment (no I don't smell
of fish). The rest of my exercise would be picking weeds
out of my garden.

I tried jogging around my back yard right out of bed in the
morning. Measured before and after. The exercise jumped
my BG up by about 60 points. Scary. My GP said that
that happens with some folks, so just don't exercise for a
while, at least till some time after you have eaten.
(So eat breakfast before going fishing.)

So, I guess I will just have to go fishing more.

Caught two Lock Levens (Scottish Brown Trout) out of the
local stream on Thursday. I let them go to sulk a bit
till I ruin their dinner again next week. (Trout should always
be aware of free food.) There is so much fishing pressure
where I went that I am surprised there were any fish
in half a mile either direction. Not that I am bragging.
Okay, I am bragging a little bit.

I must go fishing more. As previously stated, Billy said so.
(Okay, maybe not his "exact" words.)

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 08/03/2013 10:28 AM, Billy wrote:
> > And please don't forget exercise. Get a good sweat going before dinner,
> > and your b.g. will barely budge.

> An (another) excuse to go fishing? Why, why, BILLY SAID SO!
>
> I actually hate exercise. I rode a stationary bike once and
> thought I'd died and gone to hell. But, you put a fishing pole
> in my hand, point me in the direction out the trout, and I
> will crawl over rocks, hike uphill both ways, etc..
>
> I try to get out two to three times a week. Sometimes,
> only for a half hour after I eat my bag lunch. Sometimes
> while I wait for a customer appointment (no I don't smell
> of fish). The rest of my exercise would be picking weeds
> out of my garden.
>
> I tried jogging around my back yard right out of bed in the
> morning. Measured before and after. The exercise jumped
> my BG up by about 60 points. Scary. My GP said that
> that happens with some folks, so just don't exercise for a
> while, at least till some time after you have eaten.
> (So eat breakfast before going fishing.)
>
> So, I guess I will just have to go fishing more.
>
> Caught two Lock Levens (Scottish Brown Trout) out of the
> local stream on Thursday. I let them go to sulk a bit
> till I ruin their dinner again next week. (Trout should always
> be aware of free food.) There is so much fishing pressure
> where I went that I am surprised there were any fish
> in half a mile either direction. Not that I am bragging.
> Okay, I am bragging a little bit.
>
> I must go fishing more. As previously stated, Billy said so.
> (Okay, maybe not his "exact" words.)
>
> -T

Exercise, where does fishing intersect with exercise? Is this another
Wade vs. Row controversy? Or do you just sit?

In the morning? I was thinking about exercise just before eating.
Exercise before breakfast may have given you a glycogen dump, if I can
say that, and raised your b.g.

I usually exercise just before dinner. Works like a charm. Idiopathic
perhaps.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/03/2013 04:48 PM, Billy wrote:
> Exercise, where does fishing intersect with exercise?

Hi Billy,

You are thinking of a guy sitting on his butt drinking
beer. I fish with flies (although, not the annoying long
fly pole). I am constantly walking (cardio) and working
the water with casts and fancy retrieves (upper body).
It is a moderate, low impact work out.

Just watch any fly fisherman doing his thing. Most won't
even drink while fishing because they 1) don't have enough
hands and 2) it throws off their concentration. There is a lot
of mental activity trying to get inside the trout's head too.
The thinking never stops.

You should see the "neurotic minnow" retrieve I do. I
put on quite a show for the guys. Takes both hands and
is a lot of work. I have successfully interrupted several
trout's dinners with this technique.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/03/2013 04:48 PM, Billy wrote:
> In the morning?

Hi Billy,

I was new at it.

> I was thinking about exercise just before eating.
> Exercise before breakfast may have given you a glycogen dump, if I can
> say that, and raised your b.g.

And, the funny thing is my BG goes down all day long
after the initial morning surge (overly helpful liver),
whether I eat or not.

> I usually exercise just before dinner. Works like a charm. Idiopathic
> perhaps.

Fishing before dinner sounds good!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> Exercise, where does fishing intersect with exercise? Is this another
> Wade vs. Row controversy? Or do you just sit?

I wouldn't think that it does. My BIL sometimes puts on hip waders and goes
into the water. But that's still not really exercise in my book.

> In the morning? I was thinking about exercise just before eating.
> Exercise before breakfast may have given you a glycogen dump, if I can
> say that, and raised your b.g.

It can do it any time of the day. For that reason, my Endo. told me to stop
doing it. At one point, it would lower my BG. But then it went the other
way.

> I usually exercise just before dinner. Works like a charm. Idiopathic
> perhaps.

Could be.

net carbs? RichD General Cooking 43 21-01-2016 08:26 PM
Too many carbs! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 3 06-09-2011 05:14 AM
TN: Wines w/o power (well, wines while I had no power- BdM, Loire, 2Sonoma wines) DaleW Wine 2 01-03-2010 10:09 PM
Power 4 Life, pt 28 (The Power of One) Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 0 20-03-2006 04:03 AM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM