Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default carbs in Rumsford baking power

Todd > wrote:
: On 08/01/2013 01:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
: > : Clabber Girl just got back to me with the carbs in their
: > : Aluminum free baking powder:
: >
: > : .148 g. per serving (1/8 t.), or
: > : 1.184 g. per teaspoon
: >
: > : Ingredients:
: > : http://www.clabbergirl.com/pdf/R-114RumfordBPFS.pdf
: >
: > : Rumford Baking Powder contains monocalcium phosphate,
: > : sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and food grade
: > : cornstarch made from non-genetically modified corn
: >
: > : -T
: >
: > Ignore htat kind of amount. We don't look for perfection or zero carbs.
: > Don't get obscessed, just live with it.
: >
: > Wendx
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: I had originally thought they were 5 g per teaspoon. The bad labeling
: laws means that under 1 carb, means they can say zero. That is what
: I thought was behind the extra tiny 1/8 teaspoon. I had presumed that
: it was 0.9 g per 1/8 tsp. I was planning on using 1 full tsp in
: one of my concoctions. Those extra four carbs will be replaced with
: blueberries.

: I am getting close to drug free. As of last week I jumped down
: from 500 mg Met twice a day, to 250 mg (pill cutter) twice a
: day. Originally I was on 1000 mg twice a day. Each time I have
: dropped, my morning fasting BG is slightly lower. My A1c,
: which is a sloppy test, dropped too. Yipee!

: By drug free (I hate drugs), I do not mean medicine free. I use
: traditional medicine. I am 15 carbs max per meal, 60 max per day.
: Maybe when I hit drug free for half a year or so, I will get
: brave, bump up to 20 carbs per meal, test a lot, and see how I do.

: Thank you for the pep talk!

: -T

Glad you are getting good control, but why rush to get off the Metformin
unless it bothers your stomach, in which case the extended release works
for many of us. I have beenon it now for over 17 years with no problems
adn a little more ability to have variety in my food, particulrly in fruit
which i do love. You arae on the least problematic drug for
diabetes and they keep finding good things about this drug whihc, as you
know is a generic for a along time, so new good things bout it are not
beign pursued my big Pharma so I feel they can be trusted more.

Don't let some macho feeling make yo thin it is somehow more virtuous or
healthier to be totally off this particular drug. It does not make yo
better than thoses who use it or other drugs.

Wendy