Old 22-05-2013, 02:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message speaking of the
term Trophy Wife.

As you can see... This term is neither complimentary to the woman *or*
the man.

And...then there is this:

Definition: The term "trophy wife" generally refers to a successful,
powerful businessman's second or third wife who is beautiful, educated,
successful, and younger than her husband. A "trophy wife" is considered a
status symbol."

And what is the source of that? And even at that... Would you like to be
considered as a status symbol? I wouldn't. I had a couple of BFs who
treated me like that. I couldn't stand it.

Old 22-05-2013, 02:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 5/21/2013 7:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

*shudder* You people live in a very odd world. Would you like it if he
called you air head too?

Well I often am and he often does. :-)

Okay then. That speaks volumes!

Old 22-05-2013, 02:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/21/2013 05:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/21/2013 03:45 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you!

Yes, I may be overestimating.

Okay, here is what I think you are telling me:

No seasoning.

1) scramble up an egg (maybe two).

2) dip the fish in the egg. Then in whatever I come up with
for breading.

You can try pulverizing pecans in a food processor. I use crushed
pecans as breading for chicken.

Hmmmm. I have access to pecans too. If it works for chicken,
it should work for fish. Thank you!

3) Fry in a little oil (EVOO?). Flip quickly so as to not
overcook.

If you bake the fish it's less calories, but if you are frying, it use
an oil that is more stable at higher temps like canola or peanut.

I really don't care about calories, as long as they come from fat and
not carbs. And, I don't have access to my oven.

Do you cook you fish on medium or high temp?

I have used wheat germ, the kind that comes in a jar, for breading and
filler, like in meat balls.

Wheat germ is suppose to be so good for you too. How is it on the
carb front?

-T

Old 22-05-2013, 02:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Me too, and so does mine...in a very low voice. ;-)

Cheri

Old 22-05-2013, 02:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I like a bit of sweetness with savoury foods.

On 05/21/2013 05:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
I don't want sweet crumbs on fish sticks, but maybe the OP does. :-)

I clearly do not know what I am doing. Seems to
me if you guys wanted to, you could really have
a laugh at my expense.

Old 22-05-2013, 02:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:56:02 -0500, in alt.food.diabetic, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

I have used crushed pecans on fish. It is very good. I spray with a
bit of olive oil, sprinkle the crushed pecans on it then bake. My
husband really likes fish cooked this way too.
Old 22-05-2013, 02:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi Karen,

Oh cool, I don't have to mess with egg!

Thank you!

-T
Old 22-05-2013, 02:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/21/2013 05:50 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/21/2013 03:52 PM, Cheri wrote:
Well, since he did say that he married his trophy wife *first,* it
really is a compliment, meaning she's pretty, bright, etc. and he still
thinks of her that way

Hi Cheri,

Pretty much describes it.

How many spouses of diabetics do you know that put
themselves on the same diet to support their other half?
Sweet as can get too. Smartest person, male or female,
I know. I thank God for her every night. She is a real
trophy. (Easy on the eyes too.)

38 years and counting!

-T

Good for you Todd!

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I have been marries for more than twice as many years
as I have been single. When I look back to when I was
single, it seems as if a part of me is missing.

And, with that, I have a date with you-know-who
to watch videos and eat dinner, so I should
hurry up and finish my office work and get home!

-T
Old 22-05-2013, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 05/20/2013 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
: Hi All,
:
: The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
: sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
: the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
:
: The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
: the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
: She really hates fish too.
:
: I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
: How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
: and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
:
: Many thanks,
: -T

: Hi Guys,

: I am drawing a blank here. The only thing I can think of
: is walnut powder and *A LOT* of grease. Please rescue me
: from myself!

: -T

Yu might use a nut crust as you suggest, but it doesn't have to be tons of
grease ou coul doven fry them on a baking sheetsprayed with oil(boththe
sheet an fish sticks).

Wendy
Old 22-05-2013, 03:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
: lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
: to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
: over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
: would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
: just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
: fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
: frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
: bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready Perhaps graham crackers
: crushed would work too, we don't get them here so I can't really
: comment.

Too sweet!

Wendy
: "Todd" wrote in message ...

: On 05/21/2013 02:59 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
: In article , Todd
: wrote:
:
[...]
: Can you get chick-pea flour? It has a lot of the properties of wheat
: flour that you want with fewer carbs (and less blood sugar hit). If
: you
: have a source for Bob's Red Mill flours and grains (health food store,
: or health food section of your supermarket), you can easily get some.
: I
: use it for breading a lot.
:

: Hi Alice,

: Thank you!

: Unfortunately I can not. At 53 carbs per cup, chickpea flour blows
: my 15 carb per meal limit.

: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4406/2

: I have heard that walnut powder will substitute. Do you have
: any experience with such?

: -T

Old 22-05-2013, 03:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
:
:
: For breading two servings of fish, you won't use more than 1/4 cup of
: the flour, and some of that will be left on the plate or in the bag.
:

: Hi Alice,

: Thank you!

: You are correct. I am still balking as I don't want that poison
: in my house, even if a little won't hurt me. I know I am being
: a bit extreme. I was looking for something "safer". Maybe when
: a few years pass, I will be less paranoid.

: Trader Joe's sells Walnut bits. I was thinking of sticking them
: in a bag and SMACKING them with the bottom of a glass. If it doesn't
: work, at least I will have had fun at it.

do you have a rolling pin? You can roll the nuts small , but put them
in a plastic bag so they don't run all around the kitchen.

Wendy
: Do you use egg?

: -T
Old 22-05-2013, 03:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/21/2013 07:26 PM, W. Baker wrote:
o you have a rolling pin? You can roll the nuts small , but put them
in a plastic bag so they don't run all around the kitchen.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

I put the nuts in a plastic bad, put the bad on a paper plate,
then put the paper plate on a wash rag. I then take a heavy
glass mug and SMACK them. Great fun!

What is your favorite nuts for this? Pecans?

-T

Old 22-05-2013, 04:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
Why do you care how he refers to his wife? Isn't that only his and
her business and not the business of everyone on this newsgroup?
Obviously he doesn't mean it in the manner you are referring to.

I don't really care but... He keeps using that derogatory term here. It
becomes the business of people on the newsgroup when he keeps posting it
here. He may not mean it in that manner but that is the manner in which
most other people take it. Apparently not most others on this newsgroup be
the general population.

I just don't understand the need to keep making all these references to his
wife and how she looks and stuff. That's not Germaine to the questions he
is asking so why does he keep bringing it up?

Old 22-05-2013, 04:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi Cheri,

I have been marries for more than twice as many years
as I have been single. When I look back to when I was
single, it seems as if a part of me is missing.

And, with that, I have a date with you-know-who
to watch videos and eat dinner, so I should
hurry up and finish my office work and get home!

-T

Next year, we will celebrate our 50th, so I can't remember when I was
single. :-)

Cheri

Breaded fish sticks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 39 29-11-2013 10:30 PM
recipe request "fish" sticks Car Isaacs Vegan 1 17-11-2007 10:31 PM
Dreaded fish sticks. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 79 05-03-2007 09:23 PM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM