Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default recipe request "fish" sticks

I wanted to try a recipe today that I'd found in a library book...but i
can't get my hands on the book again.

The book: Giant book of tofu cooking
The recipe: "Fish" sticks
Page: 60.

Anyone have the book that can get me the recipe?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.vegan

I searched the archives and found this posted by Mr Falafel in 2000.

British Style Fish & Chips
Serves 2
Ingredients
· 1 cup flour
· 1 cup beer (bitter or stout)
· a good sprinkling of paprika
· pinch of salt and pepper
· One pound firm tofu, frozen and thawed
· a whole bunch of oil
· Malt Vinegar
· Frozen chips or 3 potatoes hewn into finger shapes
Method
A couple of hours before you eat (preferably the day before) drain your
tofu. Place the tofu into a bowl of malt vinegar and put it in the
fridge. You don't really need to cover the tofu with it, but the more
the better. Let it marinade for as long as you can, at least a couple
of hours.

To make the beer batter, simply mix the equal amounts of flour and beer
along with the spices. Pretty much anything will work fine.

Dump a whole bunch of oil into a deep pan or wok until it's about two
inches deep and heat it up on a nice hot stove burner. Cook up your
chips and place them in a warm oven.

While it's heating, take the marinated tofu out of the fridge and pat
it dry. Cut it lengthwise into bars about two inches wide. When the
oil's real hot, dunk the tofu bars into the batter and toss 'em in the
oil one by one. Be sure they're coated thoroughly with the batter!
Drizzle a bit more batter on top of the floating tofu peice
immediatlely, to give them a funny shape. Deep fry them until the
batter turns a nice golden brown, and be careful to not let them stick
together. Fish them out and place them on some more paper towels.
Serve right away!