Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:09:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Why do you care how he refers to his wife? Isn't that only his and
>> her business and not the business of everyone on this newsgroup?
>> Obviously he doesn't mean it in the manner you are referring to.

>I don't really care but... He keeps using that derogatory term here. It
>becomes the business of people on the newsgroup when he keeps posting it
>here. He may not mean it in that manner but that is the manner in which
>most other people take it. Apparently not most others on this newsgroup be
>the general population.
>
>I just don't understand the need to keep making all these references to his
>wife and how she looks and stuff. That's not Germaine to the questions he
>is asking so why does he keep bringing it up?

Because he is actually in love with her, something you do not feel for
your husband, by your own admission.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:43:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> So how does your husband refer to you? The old ball and chain? The
>> little missus? The better half? The old lady? SWMBO?
>>

>His wife! Because that's what I am. I dislike all of those other terms
>that you used, in particular SWMBO. Why do people feel the need to come up
>with cutesy terms for people? I never felt that need and the use of
>nicknames in our house was very much frowned on when I was growing up. My
>parents even get angry when we use a name for my husband that I won't post
>here. It is something that Angela called him when she was little. It was
>Dada___. It's not a bad word by any means but it wouldn't make sense to
>anyone here. So I won't get into it. They do get angry about it though and
>tell us not to call him that because it is not his name. Likewise, my MIL
>used to get angry with my husband when he called our daughter nicknames. I
>do have some nicknames for Angela, none of them bad but it ticks my mom off
>when I call her these. Angela doesn't mind.
>
>> I'd probably blush and giggle a bit if my husband referred to me as
>> arm candy. Plus I'd maybe suggest that he come upstairs with me for a
>> little while.
>>

>Well, I wouldn't! I wouldn't want people to think of me as that. Ugh. And
>arm candy is usually not a person you are romantically involved with. They
>are just for show. For the public.
>
>> What he does call me sometimes is "girl". As in "OK girl, lets go
>> home." I'm 60, and we've been married for 40 years, so I'm far from a
>> girl, but I love it when he does that.

>Oooh. That's another thing that bugs the peewaddins out of me. I am *not*
>a girl! I have referred to women as "gals" and that term is derogatory to
>some people. I don't see how but I try not to use it now. I do sometimes
>slip up though.

So you expect everyone else to have as little love and affection in
their lives as you were forced to have in order for you to feel
comfortable.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 May 2013 16:07:38 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>If I had stayed with my first husband it would have been 43 years this
>month. I so love being single for a lot of reasons. One reason is
>probably strange to some but I am glad I am single heading into my
>dotage because I don't ever want the nightmare of losing an almost
>life-long partner (if they had died before me of course).

Having that love, I would hate to live without it.

What would be the point?

>"Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
>"Todd" > wrote in message
>> Hi Cheri,
>>
>> I have been marries for more than twice as many years
>> as I have been single. When I look back to when I was
>> single, it seems as if a part of me is missing.
>>
>> And, with that, I have a date with you-know-who
>> to watch videos and eat dinner, so I should
>> hurry up and finish my office work and get home!
>>
>> -T

>Next year, we will celebrate our 50th, so I can't remember when I was
>single. :-)
>
>Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 May 2013 02:27:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> If I had stayed with my first husband it would have been 43 years this
>> month. I so love being single for a lot of reasons. One reason is probably
>> strange to some but I am glad I am single heading into my dotage because I
>> don't ever want the nightmare of losing an almost life-long partner (if
>> they had died before me of course).

>Being single *and* having no kids is sooo much easier. But easier isn't
>always better. Just different.

Of course being in a loveless marriage would be the worst thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:52:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>
>> It is germaine because he is tryng to find a way to respond inkind to the
>> kindness f his wife who is eting his lowcarb diabetic diet as a support
>> measure. He wants to give her the pleasure of a food that looks too caby,
>> so he wants to find a recipe or method. Hiw references to his first adn
>> trophy wife are showing us how much he loves her and why he wants to help
>> her.

>Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But I am also entitled to mine.
>The other stuff? Just doesn't seem to belong here. Seems a bit nausea
>inducing to me. But perhaps it is because I was raised to not refer to
>people like that or go around talking like that.

And yet you are doing just that by attacking Todd over something that
is none of your business.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:56:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>> : > What he does call me sometimes is "girl". As in "OK girl, lets go
>> : > home." I'm 60, and we've been married for 40 years, so I'm far from a
>> : > girl, but I love it when he does that.
>>
>> : Oooh. That's another thing that bugs the peewaddins out of me. I am
>> *not*
>> : a girl! I have referred to women as "gals" and that term is derogatory
>> : some people. I don't see how but I try not to use it now. I do
>> sometimes
>> : slip up though.
>>
>> I don't know. Often, on Saturday nights I get together with three other
>> widow to watch a rented flim and eat popcorn and/or fruit. I refer to it
>> as "girls night out." We are aged 71- 8????? and still kicking.

>Okay. That term really bothers me too. I'd never heard it until I was
>living on Cape Cod. A coworker said she was having a girl's night out. I
>was like... Wha? That is just something that is not appealing to me. I
>have friends of both genders. Yes, when I used to go out there was
>sometimes no males there but that was simply because nobody was available
>then. I just don't see the need to qualify it like just women going out.
>But I do know that some people are that way. My coworker was excited about
>this night out because there would be no men there.

Why do you have such problems with how others live their lives? They
are having fun and being happy and you can't allow it to go
unpunished?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 May 2013 18:58:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> Julie, make an appointment with a qualified shrink. None of us are
>> qualified to deal with your emotional problems.

>I don't have emotional problems Janet. And you are *very* rude. I simply
>do not understand *any* of you here who think that referring to a person's
>wife as a trophy wife is a nice thing to do. Or that qualifying the word
>"wife" every time it is used is a nice and normal thing to do. I know quite
>a lot of people and not one of them would ever use terms like that unless
>they were being a smart ass. I also posted several links that proves that
>the term is not complimentary. And neither is "arm candy". But maybe this
>is a generation thing. My dad has the tendency to ask people how they "made
>out", not realizing that what he is saying has another meaning and it's not
>one that people would normally ask about. This has been pointed out to him
>time and again but apparently when he was young, that term meant something
>else. *shrugs*
>
>At any rate, I'm out of this thread now. I see no reason whatever for me to
>be in it any more. No matter what I say, someone is going to attack me
>here. Clearly you people are not in *my* world!

Yes Julie you are the only one who is right,l everyone else is wrong.
I feel your pain and suffering you impose on yourself and feel your
need to make everyone else as miserable as you are. How rude and
insensitive these people are for not accepting you as their moral
compass.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/22/2013 12:23 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi Cheri,
>>>
>>> I have been marries for more than twice as many years
>>> as I have been single. When I look back to when I was
>>> single, it seems as if a part of me is missing.
>>>
>>> And, with that, I have a date with you-know-who
>>> to watch videos and eat dinner, so I should
>>> hurry up and finish my office work and get home!
>>>
>>> -T

>> Next year, we will celebrate our 50th, so I can't remember when I was
>> single. :-)

Let me help. He was that dashing young hero that swept you
off your feet, put a frog in your desk, stuck your hair in an
ink well... Okay, I am not helping here. :-)

>> Cheri

> Still 3 years to go to the 50th - I do remember (still :-) and it
> was just horrible.

Ditto on that.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/22/2013 02:06 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : > : >
> : > : > : And, do you know what the seasonings would be?
> : > : > : Onion? Pepper?
> : > : >
> : > : > : -T
> : > : > If you have a 4 or 5 gram carb bread mixed with ground nuts tht should
> : > : > work and keep to your limit.
> : > : >
> : > : > WendyX
> : > : >
> : >
> : > : Hi Wendy,
> : >
> : > : Thank you!
> : >
> : > : Any onion or other seasoning?
> : >
> : > : -T
> : > Seasonings, yes, S&P, herb or spice she likes mxed into the bread-nut
> : > mixture. I don't eat fishsticks or particularly like them so I really
> : > can't coment on particular spices.
> : >
> : > last night my son came for dinne so we had broiled boned shad with sauteed
> : > fresh chard in olive oil and garlic aand some fresh early season cheries
> : > for dessert. Great meal, good bgs at less than 2 hours(111!). what could
> : > be bad:-)
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>

> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : Would you mix the S&P into the bread-nut mixture or shake them
> : on after the fish hit the pan?
>
> : And I have no clue whatsoever about any other seasoning. Do
> : you have a favorite. (I promise I won't blame it on you if
> : we don't like it.)
>
> : -T
>
> : Dinner with your family. Doesn't get much better. Maybe a nap,
> : no, dinner is still better! :-)
>
> mix the S&P right into the bread-nut mix aalong with the other spices or
> herbs you like. Use what you have inyou house. I have a mix that is for
> grilled fish and other fish that I use. I got it as a gift onceand found
> it useful. I hesitate to recommend as you wife has so many sensitivities
> to some of these, but I would try fresh parsley, dill, also, fresh if
> available, just snip the leavees into tome tiny bits, dried thyme or
> oregono are also good. DON'T USE ALL OF THEM or you will have a mish-mash
> of flavors.
> Serve the fish sticks with lemon wedges for squeezin gon them.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

I am thinking of make up about three paper plates with
different seasonings mixed into the nut flour. See which
one we like the most.

Cook must be fun!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:

>> On 05/21/2013 05:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> > I don't want sweet crumbs on fish sticks, but maybe the OP does. :-)

>> I clearly do not know what I am doing. Seems to
>> me if you guys wanted to, you could really have
>> a laugh at my expense.

> Wouldn't think of it. We might laugh with you, which is much more
> pleasant for everybody :-)
>
> One suggestion:
> Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
> (1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
> perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,
> fry in hot butter to get a brownish coat, then bake in medium oven for
> about 10 minutes. Vary times according to fillet thickness.
>
> The idea is that the brine soaking firms up the fish pieces without
> getting them really salty. The hot butter browning should approximate
> the fish stick texture - I hope.
>
> I made this dish without the browning, just oven baked, a good sauce on top:
> chopped shallots and chives, in melted butter with a dash of soy sauce.

Hi Bjørn,

Thank you!

Never thought of the brining. Thank you!

No access to an oven. Just fry them a little more?

Do you use any seasoning?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Opple0p�ad wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:56:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>> : > What he does call me sometimes is "girl". As in "OK girl, lets go
>>> : > home." I'm 60, and we've been married for 40 years, so I'm far from
>>> : > a girl, but I love it when he does that.
>>>
>>> : Oooh. That's another thing that bugs the peewaddins out of me. I am
>>> *not*
>>> : a girl! I have referred to women as "gals" and that term is
>>> : derogatory
>>> : some people. I don't see how but I try not to use it now. I do
>>> sometimes
>>> : slip up though.
>>>
>>> I don't know. Often, on Saturday nights I get together with three other
>>> widow to watch a rented flim and eat popcorn and/or fruit. I refer to
>>> it
>>> as "girls night out." We are aged 71- 8????? and still kicking.

>>Okay. That term really bothers me too. I'd never heard it until I was
>>living on Cape Cod. A coworker said she was having a girl's night out. I
>>was like... Wha? That is just something that is not appealing to me. I
>>have friends of both genders. Yes, when I used to go out there was
>>sometimes no males there but that was simply because nobody was available
>>then. I just don't see the need to qualify it like just women going out.
>>But I do know that some people are that way. My coworker was excited
>>about this night out because there would be no men there.
>>

> Why do you have such problems with how others live their lives? They
> are having fun and being happy and you can't allow it to go
> unpunished?

Who knows - she may be a Puritan: one who is deathly afraid that someone,
somewhere, is having fun. ( attr. H.L.Mencken)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

>>> I clearly do not know what I am doing. Seems to
>>> me if you guys wanted to, you could really have
>>> a laugh at my expense.

>> Wouldn't think of it. We might laugh with you, which is much more
>> pleasant for everybody :-)
>>
>> One suggestion:
>> Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
>> (1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
>> perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,
>> fry in hot butter to get a brownish coat, then bake in medium oven for
>> about 10 minutes. Vary times according to fillet thickness.
>>
>> The idea is that the brine soaking firms up the fish pieces without
>> getting them really salty. The hot butter browning should approximate
>> the fish stick texture - I hope.
>>
>> I made this dish without the browning, just oven baked, a good sauce on
>> top: chopped shallots and chives, in melted butter with a dash of soy
>> sauce.

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Never thought of the brining. Thank you!
>
> No access to an oven. Just fry them a little more?

Yes, at lower heat of course, and perhaps cover the skillet, that comes
closer to baking in an oven.

> Do you use any seasoning?

Just S&P - and not much of that, either. Doesn't even need salt if you use
the soy/butter sauce.

> -T

Cooking is fun - especially when I see her skeptical face light up as she
says, "this is GOOD!!" :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 05/22/2013 02:06 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : > : >
[...]

that's anice experimental attitude! Go for it.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 12:08 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:

>>> Wouldn't think of it. We might laugh with you, which is much more
>>> pleasant for everybody :-)
>>>
>>> One suggestion:
>>> Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
>>> (1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
>>> perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,
>>> fry in hot butter to get a brownish coat, then bake in medium oven for
>>> about 10 minutes. Vary times according to fillet thickness.
>>>
>>> The idea is that the brine soaking firms up the fish pieces without
>>> getting them really salty. The hot butter browning should approximate
>>> the fish stick texture - I hope.
>>>
>>> I made this dish without the browning, just oven baked, a good sauce on
>>> top: chopped shallots and chives, in melted butter with a dash of soy
>>> sauce.

>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Never thought of the brining. Thank you!
>>
>> No access to an oven. Just fry them a little more?

> Yes, at lower heat of course, and perhaps cover the skillet, that comes
> closer to baking in an oven.

Thank you! Brown and cover.

>> Do you use any seasoning?

> Just S&P - and not much of that, either. Doesn't even need salt if you use
> the soy/butter sauce.
>
>> -T

> Cooking is fun - especially when I see her skeptical face light up as she
> says, "this is GOOD!!" :-)

I love making her eyes sparkle. She lights up the whole room.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/20/2013 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>
> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
> She really hates fish too.
>
> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi Guys,

Okay I gave it a shot.

Cod might not be the best fish for this. It
falls apart, even raw. I am thinking of
trying halibut next time (its the same price).

The Pecan flour came out like crunchies. (Not a
"Real Word"? I can tell you don't work for Marketing.)
I have to find my pulverizer blade for my food processor.

Both the S&P and the seasoned one came out nice.

I used too much seasoning (garlic, onion, parsley,
salt, and pepper). I know, you guys told not to
use too much. I actually cut way back because
of your recommendations. Can you imagine if I
hadn't listened to you guy?

And, we both thoroughly enjoyed the result. The
pecans did really well!

Thank you all. You guys are a blessing.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 03:32 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/20/2013 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>
>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>> She really hates fish too.
>>
>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Hi Guys,
>
> Okay I gave it a shot.
>
> Cod might not be the best fish for this. It
> falls apart, even raw. I am thinking of
> trying halibut next time (its the same price).
>
> The Pecan flour came out like crunchies. (Not a
> "Real Word"? I can tell you don't work for Marketing.)
> I have to find my pulverizer blade for my food processor.
>
> Both the S&P and the seasoned one came out nice.
>
> I used too much seasoning (garlic, onion, parsley,
> salt, and pepper). I know, you guys told not to
> use too much. I actually cut way back because
> of your recommendations. Can you imagine if I
> hadn't listened to you guy?
>
> And, we both thoroughly enjoyed the result. The
> pecans did really well!
>
> Thank you all. You guys are a blessing.
>
> -T

And I can not find who told me about the brining to
thank him. I think the 10 minutes of brining is what
made my first/trophy wife like the fish. There was
no fish stink at all. Who ever you are, you
are a genius! Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

big snip

>The term "trophy wife" is NOT a compliment in any way, shape or form. It's
>my business when he posts it here. I am sick of these insulting terms in
>reference to his wife!

Do you know how to use the kill filter??

Use that then the rest of us do not have to listen to your problems.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> One suggestion:
> Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
> (1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
> perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,

Hi Bjørn,

The brining did the trick. My wife, who hates fish, loved
the result. You are a genius!

Where did you get the idea? and what does the brining
do that removes the fish stick?

Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 05/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> One suggestion:
>> Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
>> (1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
>> perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> The brining did the trick. My wife, who hates fish, loved
> the result. You are a genius!
>
> Where did you get the idea? and what does the brining
> do that removes the fish stick?

Not my idea! It was mentioned in an on-line recipe. I look for such to fnd
out what to cook - usually I find something low carb or at least reduced
carb. Sometimes it's enough to just skip the rice/potatoes/pasta and add
more vegetables.

I am pretty sure the brining reduces the water content of the fish. Leaving
it too long will make it too salty, just a few minutes does the trick.
It probably only works for frying/baking, not for simmering/poaching :-)

> Thank you!
>
> -T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

>> Cod might not be the best fish for this. It
>> falls apart, even raw. I am thinking of,
>> trying halibut next time (its the same price).

Now that intrigues me. Where do you live that have halibut
for the price of cod? It costs a lot more over here - except where
my son lives, he can sometimes catch one, but then he'll have
to share with his in-laws :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 11:22 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>

>>> Cod might not be the best fish for this. It
>>> falls apart, even raw. I am thinking of,
>>> trying halibut next time (its the same price).

> Now that intrigues me. Where do you live that have halibut
> for the price of cod? It costs a lot more over here - except where
> my son lives, he can sometimes catch one, but then he'll have
> to share with his in-laws :-)

Hi Bjørn,

Northern Nevada, USA.

The ones at Raley's are Full Circle brand. They are
wild caught off the Alaska coast and flash frozen.
No chemicals added.

Raley's also sells fresh fish, but I am suspicious that
it was previously frozen and I don't care for how long
they sit out (warm) waiting to be purchased. I think
flash frozen is better. What do you think?

When I was a kid (long, long, time ago), I caught surf
perch out of the Pacific Ocean. My Mom cooked (fried) them
up that evening. Oh now that was a treat! Old
fish, not so much.

Where is it you live? Can you get any fresh off the boat
sea fish?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Northern Nevada, USA.

Seems to be far from the coasts :-)

> The ones at Raley's are Full Circle brand. They are
> wild caught off the Alaska coast and flash frozen.
> No chemicals added.

OK - we can get frozen Alaska pollock in the stores here ...

> Raley's also sells fresh fish, but I am suspicious that
> it was previously frozen and I don't care for how long
> they sit out (warm) waiting to be purchased. I think
> flash frozen is better. What do you think?

I believe so - unless the fresh fish is flown in, like we
get fresh Skrei here in late winter (that's Arctic cod that
comes near the coast to spawn. Named from an old word for
"travel".)

> When I was a kid (long, long, time ago), I caught surf
> perch out of the Pacific Ocean. My Mom cooked (fried) them
> up that evening. Oh now that was a treat! Old
> fish, not so much.
>
> Where is it you live? Can you get any fresh off the boat
> sea fish?

Oslo, Norway - and yes, down at the harbor there is one place
where fresh fish can be had, the fish is a by-catch from the
shrimp trawlers. Some days we can buy fish off one of the richest
men in the country, he made his first fortune fishing off Alaska!

It's supposed to be illegal, as fresh fish must be sold through
the fishermen's collective, to ensure them fair price, but there
would be a popular uprising here in Oslo if that was enforced rigidly :-)

No. 1 son lives in Tromsø, beyond the Arctic circle, has a boat for
family and fishing trips.

> -T

Bjørn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/29/2013 03:59 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>

>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> Northern Nevada, USA.

> Seems to be far from the coasts :-)
>
>> The ones at Raley's are Full Circle brand. They are
>> wild caught off the Alaska coast and flash frozen.
>> No chemicals added.

> OK - we can get frozen Alaska pollock in the stores here ...

Be careful of Pollock. If Alaskan seals eat to much
Pollock, the loose weight and eventually die of starvation.

>> Raley's also sells fresh fish, but I am suspicious that
>> it was previously frozen and I don't care for how long
>> they sit out (warm) waiting to be purchased. I think
>> flash frozen is better. What do you think?

> I believe so - unless the fresh fish is flown in, like we
> get fresh Skrei here in late winter (that's Arctic cod that
> comes near the coast to spawn. Named from an old word for
> "travel".)

I am positive nothing is flow in. So I will go for the flash
frozen on the boat

>> When I was a kid (long, long, time ago), I caught surf
>> perch out of the Pacific Ocean. My Mom cooked (fried) them
>> up that evening. Oh now that was a treat! Old
>> fish, not so much.
>>
>> Where is it you live? Can you get any fresh off the boat
>> sea fish?

> Oslo, Norway - and yes, down at the harbor there is one place
> where fresh fish can be had, the fish is a by-catch from the
> shrimp trawlers. Some days we can buy fish off one of the richest
> men in the country, he made his first fortune fishing off Alaska!

Norway is so beautiful.

If I am not mistaken, Norway invented Fly Fishing. If that
be the case, we are all eternally grateful for addicting us
to the sport. Trout fishing is an obsession. (One I live
with just fine.)

Do you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?

> It's supposed to be illegal, as fresh fish must be sold through
> the fishermen's collective, to ensure them fair price, but there
> would be a popular uprising here in Oslo if that was enforced rigidly :-)
>
> No. 1 son lives in Tromsø, beyond the Arctic circle, has a boat for
> family and fishing trips.

Sounds like great family time. Plus you get to eat the result.

-T

>> -T

> Bjørn

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)

The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
She really hates fish too.

I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?

Many thanks,
-T
Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end. Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 05/29/2013 03:59 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

>> OK - we can get frozen Alaska pollock in the stores here ...

> Be careful of Pollock. If Alaskan seals eat to much
> Pollock, the loose weight and eventually die of starvation.

Okay - probably lacks essential nutrients. A varied diet is the solution:-)

> Norway is so beautiful.

Right now it is at its best: late May to early June. The brown and grey
has been replaced by vivid green, everything is flowering, we are happy that
the birches are finished spreading pollen ...

> If I am not mistaken, Norway invented Fly Fishing. If that
> be the case, we are all eternally grateful for addicting us
> to the sport. Trout fishing is an obsession. (One I live
> with just fine.)

I believe that's England - cf. Izaak Walton, "The Compleat Angler",
not that I've read it :-) Our sport fishing was with angleworms.
Much less demanding, but also fun.

> Do you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?

Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("rømme") -
maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?

Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bigwheel" > wrote in message
> Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end.
> Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.

What is that supposed to mean? Back when I did eat fish, I would only eat
tuna casserole, tuna salad and fish sticks. And only fish sticks if they
were served with mashed potatoes. I would take a bite of each on my fork,
using the potatoes to cover the dish. That's how much I disliked fish.

My parents went through a Weight Watcher's phase where they ate fish twice a
week and liver one a week. I was growing like a weed and didn't gain any
weight that year despite being seriously underweight to begin with. That's
how much I hated that food. If I don't like something, I won't eat it.
I'll go hungry before I eat something that tastes bad to me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 05/29/2013 03:59 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: >
: >> The ones at Raley's are Full Circle brand. They are
: >> wild caught off the Alaska coast and flash frozen.
: >> No chemicals added.
: >
: > OK - we can get frozen Alaska pollock in the stores here ...

: Be careful of Pollock. If Alaskan seals eat to much
: Pollock, the loose weight and eventually die of starvation.

It is a very lean fish that woul dnot be a problem for most of us It is
also very bland and used to be inexpensive. If I can get it for a good
price i ike to use it for my fish soup as usign expensive fish is a waste
in that kind of dish. I see no problem with most peole eating this fish
as part of a regular diet. Man does not live by fish alone:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Todd;1835677 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>
>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>> She really hates fish too.
>>
>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end.
> Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.

Whatever.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/29/2013 09:38 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1835677 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>
>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>> She really hates fish too.
>>
>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end.
> Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.

Hi Bigwheel,

:-)

Since I am having trouble cutting Cod into sticks (it just
mashes), my next attempt will be to leave the fillets alone
and just use the pecan breading and seasoning I can up with.

Oh, and no hot sauce.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/30/2013 06:13 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 05/29/2013 03:59 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
> : >
> : >> The ones at Raley's are Full Circle brand. They are
> : >> wild caught off the Alaska coast and flash frozen.
> : >> No chemicals added.
> : >
> : > OK - we can get frozen Alaska pollock in the stores here ...
>
> : Be careful of Pollock. If Alaskan seals eat to much
> : Pollock, the loose weight and eventually die of starvation.
>
> It is a very lean fish that woul dnot be a problem for most of us It is
> also very bland and used to be inexpensive. If I can get it for a good
> price i ike to use it for my fish soup as usign expensive fish is a waste
> in that kind of dish. I see no problem with most peole eating this fish
> as part of a regular diet. Man does not live by fish alone:-)
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

:-)

Watched a documentary on Roku, whose name I have forgotten,
about the subject. As it transpires, the game managers
in Alaska have to be careful not to harvest too many herring,
or the seal populations will start eating Pollock and die out.
Pollock is considered Seal junk food.

So, the game managers are trying to get folks to switch
from herring to Pollock. Doesn't explain why the price
of Pollock has gone up.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/30/2013 02:33 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> o you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?

> Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
> gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
> good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
> and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("rømme") -
> maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax

Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravad laks (Danish),
gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish),
graavilõhe (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic) is a Nordic
dish consisting of raw salmon, cured in salt, sugar, and dill.

Hmmmm. No I haven't. Always cook my trout due to the suspected
parasite content. (I tend to think of "raw" fish as "bait".)

I have not tried trout with chopped parsley and sour cream. Sounds
like a fun test.

> Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
> are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
> in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
> tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
> Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.

What does the vinegar do to the fish?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 05/30/2013 02:33 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: >> o you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?
: > Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
: > gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
: > good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
: > and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("r?mme") -
: > maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?
: >

: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax

: Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravad laks (Danish),
: gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish),
: graavil?he (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic) is a Nordic
: dish consisting of raw salmon, cured in salt, sugar, and dill.

: Hmmmm. No I haven't. Always cook my trout due to the suspected
: parasite content. (I tend to think of "raw" fish as "bait".)

: I have not tried trout with chopped parsley and sour cream. Sounds
: like a fun test.

: > Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
: > are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
: > in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
: > tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
: > Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.

: What does the vinegar do to the fish?

Vinegar or lemon juice flavors with an acidy dquality that is very good.
Don't douse it in the acid, just some on it before sooking. I do this with
most fishes I broil(grill) rather than fry.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > Todd > wrote:
[...]

: :-)

: Watched a documentary on Roku, whose name I have forgotten,
: about the subject. As it transpires, the game managers
: in Alaska have to be careful not to harvest too many herring,
: or the seal populations will start eating Pollock and die out.
: Pollock is considered Seal junk food.

: So, the game managers are trying to get folks to switch
: from herring to Pollock. Doesn't explain why the price
: of Pollock has gone up.

: -T

I would imagine it is the fat content that is the issue as herring is a
very fat fish and pollack very lean. Fish was a cheap food when Iwas
young and now it si very expensive. All fishes keepgoing up. the fresh
local bluefish tht are coming in now just a yer or so ago was 4>99-5>99 a
pound for the fillets. Now it is "Special" $7.99 getting a bit pricy for
a family to eat.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/31/2013 02:37 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 05/30/2013 02:33 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
> : >> o you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?
> : > Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
> : > gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
> : > good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
> : > and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("r?mme") -
> : > maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?
> : >
>
> : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax
>
> : Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravad laks (Danish),
> : gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish),
> : graavil?he (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic) is a Nordic
> : dish consisting of raw salmon, cured in salt, sugar, and dill.
>
> : Hmmmm. No I haven't. Always cook my trout due to the suspected
> : parasite content. (I tend to think of "raw" fish as "bait".)
>
> : I have not tried trout with chopped parsley and sour cream. Sounds
> : like a fun test.
>
> : > Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
> : > are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
> : > in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
> : > tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
> : > Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.
>
> : What does the vinegar do to the fish?
>
> Vinegar or lemon juice flavors with an acidy dquality that is very good.
> Don't douse it in the acid, just some on it before sooking. I do this with
> most fishes I broil(grill) rather than fry.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 05/30/2013 02:33 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>>> o you fish? Any great trout/salmon recipes?

>> Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
>> gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
>> good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
>> and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("rømme") -
>> maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?
>>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax
>
> Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravad laks (Danish),
> gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish),
> graavilõhe (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic) is a Nordic
> dish consisting of raw salmon, cured in salt, sugar, and dill.
>
> Hmmmm. No I haven't. Always cook my trout due to the suspected
> parasite content. (I tend to think of "raw" fish as "bait".)

Always use fish that has been frozen, unless it is certified "sushi
quality". Fillets with skin make the best.

> I have not tried trout with chopped parsley and sour cream. Sounds
> like a fun test.
>
>> Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
>> are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
>> in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
>> tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
>> Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.

> What does the vinegar do to the fish?

Freshens the taste, I think - it's a different dish without it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/01/2013 03:35 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:

>>> Not any more, and I may be able to dig up some. Have you tried
>>> gravlax? Originally Swedish, I think. Freshly caught trout is too
>>> good by itself to do anything fancy with it, just pan fry in butter
>>> and serve with some chopped parsley and sour cream ("rømme") -
>>> maybe the same that is called "smetana" in some Slavic languages?
>>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax
>>
>> Gravlax or gravad lax (Swedish), gravad laks (Danish),
>> gravlaks (Norwegian, Danish), graavilohi (Finnish),
>> graavilõhe (Estonian), graflax (Icelandic) is a Nordic
>> dish consisting of raw salmon, cured in salt, sugar, and dill.
>>
>> Hmmmm. No I haven't. Always cook my trout due to the suspected
>> parasite content. (I tend to think of "raw" fish as "bait".)

> Always use fish that has been frozen, unless it is certified "sushi
> quality". Fillets with skin make the best.
>
>> I have not tried trout with chopped parsley and sour cream. Sounds
>> like a fun test.
>>
>>> Right now it's mackerel from the ocean, the first wave coming in
>>> are generally small ones good for frying, the bigger ones showing up
>>> in midsummer is cut in serving pieces and simmered with a couple of
>>> tbsp vinegar, served with sliced cucumber. Also good with sour cream.
>>> Yoghurt would not be good, I think, creme fraiche is too heavy.

>> What does the vinegar do to the fish?

> Freshens the taste, I think - it's a different dish without it.

Thank you! I am slowly learning.
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)

The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
She really hates fish too.

I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?

Many thanks,
-T

Fish sticks are good. Like eating them and tried making them as well.
Senior Member

Todd;1835677 Wrote:
[...]

Ahh ok gotcha. Seems like I was forced to eat fish sticks back in the good old days. If they nice and crunchy I can gag them down occasionally...lol. Have you tried sticking Mr. Fish in the freezer for a while before starting the dissection procedure? That should hold it intact long off to cut off a chunk or two. Also..back on the original Atkins book they had recipes for breading fish filets with ground up Parmesium cheese. Sure was tasty. Have you tried that? Get some spicy seafood sauce for dipping. All Trophy Bride's seem to demand red sauce or at least ketchup on their fish sticks. Kindly keep us updated about that. Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/04/2013 05:40 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1837753 Wrote:
>> On 05/29/2013 09:38 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Todd;1835677 Wrote:-
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>
>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>> She really hates fish too.
>>
>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T-
>>
>> Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end.
>> Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.-
>>
>> Hi Bigwheel,
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Since I am having trouble cutting Cod into sticks (it just
>> mashes), my next attempt will be to leave the fillets alone
>> and just use the pecan breading and seasoning I can up with.
>>
>> Oh, and no hot sauce.
>>
>> -T

> Ahh ok gotcha. Seems like I was forced to eat fish sticks back in the
> good old days. If they nice and crunchy I can gag them down
> occasionally...lol. Have you tried sticking Mr. Fish in the freezer for
> a while before starting the dissection procedure? That should hold it
> intact long off to cut off a chunk or two. Also..back on the original
> Atkins book they had recipes for breading fish filets with ground up
> Parmesium cheese. Sure was tasty. Have you tried that? Get some spicy
> seafood sauce for dipping. All Trophy Bride's seem to demand red sauce
> or at least ketchup on their fish sticks. Kindly keep us updated about
> that. Thanks.

Hi Bigwheel,

"Parmesan cheese"! I had not thought of that. Next go around.
I will keep you updated for sure.

Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/07/2013 03:25 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> The ones I get from Trader Joe's are just sticks of fish which have been
> breaded.

If you get a headache about 6 hours after eating them, it is
because Trader Joe's fish stick are coated with Liar's MSG
(Torula yeast, yeast extract, etc.).

I do love Trader Joe's, but I am permanently ****ed at them
for stating they don't use MSG, then they use every and
any form of Liar's MSG they can find. This practice
is unethical to say the least.

> I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd cut the fish when it was
> frozen, then bread it and fry it. Many fish/meats cut much better when
> fully or partially frozen.

Great tip. Cod is especially fragile.

Breaded fish sticks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 39 29-11-2013 11:30 PM
recipe request "fish" sticks Car Isaacs Vegan 1 17-11-2007 11:31 PM
Dreaded fish sticks. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 79 05-03-2007 10:23 PM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM