Old 22-05-2013, 12:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

On 5/21/2013 6:26 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/21/2013 03:52 PM, Cheri wrote:
Well, since he did say that he married his trophy wife *first,* it
really is a compliment, meaning she's pretty, bright, etc. and he still
thinks of her that way

Hi Cheri,

Pretty much describes it.

How many spouses of diabetics do you know that put
themselves on the same diet to support their other half?
Sweet as can get too. Smartest person, male or female,
I know. I thank God for her every night. She is a real
trophy. (Easy on the eyes too.)

38 years and counting!

-T

I find it quite lovely that after all these years you are still so in
love with your wife. She is a very lucky woman to have you.

I eat what DH eats. He's diabetic, I'm not. I cook, so I cook for him
and eat what he eats. I miss pasta a lot, but c'est la vie.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 22-05-2013, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 05/21/2013 02:59 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

On 05/20/2013 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)

The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
She really hates fish too.

I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?

Many thanks,
-T

Hi Guys,

I am drawing a blank here. The only thing I can think of
is walnut powder and *A LOT* of grease. Please rescue me
from myself!

Can you get chick-pea flour? It has a lot of the properties of wheat
flour that you want with fewer carbs (and less blood sugar hit). If you
have a source for Bob's Red Mill flours and grains (health food store,
or health food section of your supermarket), you can easily get some. I
use it for breading a lot.

Hi Alice,

Thank you!

Unfortunately I can not. At 53 carbs per cup, chickpea flour blows
my 15 carb per meal limit.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4406/2

I have heard that walnut powder will substitute. Do you have
any experience with such?

For breading two servings of fish, you won't use more than 1/4 cup of
the flour, and some of that will be left on the plate or in the bag.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 22-05-2013, 01:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 5/21/2013 5:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
b.com...
On 5/20/2013 11:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)

The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
She really hates fish too.

I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?

Many thanks,
-T

No clue about the fish but I really wish you'd stop referring to your
wife
like that. If anyone ever referred to me like that, I'd likely inflict
some
bodily harm on them and quickly! They'd never do it again, to be sure.
Comments like that are sooo insulting to women!

He's complimenting her. I think it's adorable.

Lighten up, Julie. It's none of your business how he refers to his
wife.

The term "trophy wife" is NOT a compliment in any way, shape or form.
It's
my business when he posts it here. I am sick of these insulting terms in
reference to his wife!

Then filter him or delete his posts and stop annoying the rest of us.

The rest of us? You speak for the group now? And the whole rest of the
group thinks that saying "trophy wife" is a nice thing to say? I'm not
going to filter him even though I am sorely tempted because he posts things
that are simply wrong and could badly confuse a newbie.

Old 22-05-2013, 01:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't want sweet crumbs on fish sticks, but maybe the OP does. :-)

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I like a bit of sweetness with savoury foods.

Old 22-05-2013, 01:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/21/2013 04:39 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/21/2013 6:26 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/21/2013 03:52 PM, Cheri wrote:
Well, since he did say that he married his trophy wife *first,* it
really is a compliment, meaning she's pretty, bright, etc. and he still
thinks of her that way

Hi Cheri,

Pretty much describes it.

How many spouses of diabetics do you know that put
themselves on the same diet to support their other half?
Sweet as can get too. Smartest person, male or female,
I know. I thank God for her every night. She is a real
trophy. (Easy on the eyes too.)

38 years and counting!

-T

I find it quite lovely that after all these years you are still so in
love with your wife. She is a very lucky woman to have you.

I eat what DH eats. He's diabetic, I'm not. I cook, so I cook for him
and eat what he eats. I miss pasta a lot, but c'est la vie.

Hi Janet,

You are a bless too. It is a wonderful gift you give DH. Tell him
I said he should kiss your feet on a regular basis.

Oh, and my wife can smell trout in the water. And, NO, guys,
she is not for rent.

-T

Old 22-05-2013, 01:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Not necessarily. The trophy wife term usually reflets more on the man
than the woman. She is the aattractive woman who the manturns to when he
is afraid of gettign old so he divorces his old wife(who reminds him of
gettign old) and marries a young woman who makes his feel young again.
She may or may not be a "golddigger". There is often a great attraction
for any woman , young or old, to a man who is in sme way powerful, heads a
big pusiness, in arts or politics, etc I alwasy calle d myself Syd's
mid-life fling as I was in my 20's and he was a 43 year old widower. It
was a kind of joke not only between us, but shared with others.

I don't know where you came up with that from but that is not what is
usually meant by that term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_wife

"Trophy wife is an expression used to refer to a wife, usually young and
attractive, who is regarded as a status symbol for the husband, who is often
older and wealthy.
The use of the term also usually reflects negatively on the character or
personality of the husband, and has a connotation of narcissism and desire
to impress others, and that the husband would not be able to attract the
sexual interest of the attractive woman but for his wealth or position. It
can also be used to imply that the trophy wife in question has little
personal merit besides her physical attractiveness, and is sometimes
synonymous with the term "gold digger."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=trophy+wife

"

A young, attractive woman married to an older, more powerful man.

His role in the relationship is to be her sugar daddy and provide her with
power and material wealth. Hers, beyond providing sex, is to remind others
that he is powerful or rich enough to be desirable to such a woman despite
his age and thus to serve as a marker of this status -- hence the "trophy"
part. A specialized type of gold digger."

"a woman who marries for money and sits at home all day looking pretty"

http://www.ehow.com/how_2063647_be-trophy-wife.html

"Sure, being a trophy wife may seem like a day at the spa, but the shoes of
a trophy wife, albeit stylish and to die for, aren't easy to fill. Follow
these steps to see if you've got what it takes to become Mr. Right's
right-hand ma'am.

1..
a.. 1
Turn heads, especially his boss's, his father's, and all of his
colleagues'. When you show up on your man's arm, onlookers should lose their
train of thought, nervously clear their throat and instinctively hide their
wedding bands.

b.. 2
Network, even when you're off the clock. A company cocktail hour here
and a golf fundraiser there would be a piece of cake-- fat-free, at that-but
the real work starts when he's not looking. You should be networking at the
salon, the country club, the gym and anywhere else where his name needs
dropped.3

c.. Nail the lawn boy. Or the pool boy or the handy man. Take your pick.
You work hard for your man and he has no responsibility to thank you for it,
so find someone else to thank you for your services. Just make sure he's
more ripped, has more hair and looks hot when sweaty.

d.. 4
Organize parties, fundraisers and dinners, even when you haven't seen
your man in person since last week. He needs your assistance even when he's
invisible.

e.. 5
Mind the three B's: Blonde, Boobs, BMW. Keep them well-maintained and
up-to-date.

f.. 6
Look good in Lycra. Have your man arrange for a gym membership and use
it regularly, if only to make an appearance. Order salads when in public,
but don't eat them. Over-indulge on wine and champagne. Drink coffee, coffee
drinks and anything else, as long as it's in a coffee cup. Your meals should
really only consist of drinking."

As you can see... This term is neither complimentary to the woman *or* the
man.

Old 22-05-2013, 01:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

for any woman , young or old, to a man who is in sme way powerful, heads a
big pusiness, in arts or politics, etc I alwasy calle d myself Syd's
mid-life fling as I was in my 20's and he was a 43 year old widower. It
was a kind of joke not only between us, but shared with others.

Wendy

That's more May/December though. You don't see too many trophy wives hanging
on a school janitors arm.

Cheri

Old 22-05-2013, 01:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/21/2013 03:52 PM, Cheri wrote:
Well, since he did say that he married his trophy wife *first,* it
really is a compliment, meaning she's pretty, bright, etc. and he still
thinks of her that way

Hi Cheri,

Pretty much describes it.

How many spouses of diabetics do you know that put
themselves on the same diet to support their other half?
Sweet as can get too. Smartest person, male or female,
I know. I thank God for her every night. She is a real
trophy. (Easy on the eyes too.)

38 years and counting!

-T

Good for you Todd!

Cheri

Old 22-05-2013, 01:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/21/2013 05:01 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are correct. I am still balking as I don't want that poison
in my house, even if a little won't hurt me. I know I am being
a bit extreme. I was looking for something "safer". Maybe when
a few years pass, I will be less paranoid.

Trader Joe's sells Walnut bits. I was thinking of sticking them
in a bag and SMACKING them with the bottom of a glass. If it doesn't
work, at least I will have had fun at it.

Do you use egg?

-T
Old 22-05-2013, 01:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/21/2013 03:45 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you!

Yes, I may be overestimating.

Okay, here is what I think you are telling me:

No seasoning.

1) scramble up an egg (maybe two).

2) dip the fish in the egg. Then in whatever I come up with
for breading.

You can try pulverizing pecans in a food processor. I use crushed
pecans as breading for chicken.

3) Fry in a little oil (EVOO?). Flip quickly so as to not
overcook.

If you bake the fish it's less calories, but if you are frying, it use
an oil that is more stable at higher temps like canola or peanut.

I have used wheat germ, the kind that comes in a jar, for breading and
filler, like in meat balls.

Old 22-05-2013, 01:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message speaking of the term
Trophy Wife.

As you can see... This term is neither complimentary to the woman *or*
the man.

And...then there is this:

Definition: The term "trophy wife" generally refers to a successful,
powerful businessman's second or third wife who is beautiful, educated,
successful, and younger than her husband. A "trophy wife" is considered a
status symbol."

Old 22-05-2013, 02:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
You're missing the point Julie. He is referring to the only wife he has or
ever had, which makes it a compliment. A trophy wife is supposed to be a
very beautiful woman etc. for the man to hang on his arm for others to be
envious. You're also wrong, but carry on.

Uh no. It is a derogatory term any way you slice it! I posted the links to
prove what I mean. A trophy wife is not just arm candy. That's a different
term. A trophy wife would of course be beautiful but the other connotations
are that she is a gold digger, married him for his money, and that he
couldn't get a wife otherwise. It's a very nasty thing to say. And now he
says that she is not for rent? And that's a nice thing to say? I wonder
why he feels the need to keep making all these comments about his wife here
like that. I find it very odd.

Old 22-05-2013, 02:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote in message

for any woman , young or old, to a man who is in sme way powerful, heads
big pusiness, in arts or politics, etc I alwasy calle d myself Syd's
mid-life fling as I was in my 20's and he was a 43 year old widower. It
was a kind of joke not only between us, but shared with others.

Wendy

That's more May/December though. You don't see too many trophy wives
hanging on a school janitors arm.

You don't see *any* because trophy wives marry for *money*!

Old 22-05-2013, 02:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/21/2013 7:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

*shudder* You people live in a very odd world. Would you like it if he
called you air head too?

Well I often am and he often does. :-)

Old 22-05-2013, 02:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I would not put walnuts on fish. That wouldn't be anything like a fish
stick. You'll just get oily, nut tasting fish.

Breaded fish sticks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 39 29-11-2013 10:30 PM
recipe request "fish" sticks Car Isaacs Vegan 1 17-11-2007 10:31 PM
Dreaded fish sticks. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 79 05-03-2007 09:23 PM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM