Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you put in your omelets?

On 03/30/2013 05:25 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
: Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

: Hi Jacquie,

: Thank you!

: http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

: INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
: LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
: EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

: Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

: -T

Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

As Jacquie points out "1 carb per 1/2 cup". And since they called
out a half cup, they are not trying to deceive with the under 1 carb so
they can call it zero labeling loop hole. (Serves 236, serving size
1/100 ounce, carbs 0. Our labeling laws leave a lot to be desired.)

So nothing to fret about. I eat bacon all the time with a tiny
amount of sugar added.

What concerns me is the MSG. MSG is used to make things taste
better so you can cut back on quality, gives you time delayed
headaches (4 to 8 hours after ingestion), gives you asthma,
causes eventual brain damage, and is addictive (keeps you coming
back for more), which is why it is called an excitotoxin.
A good example of "food like substances".

Interesting how they used two different kinds of sugar so they
could say each was under 2%. Combined, well ... (Still low
enough not to matter.)

Thank you for the tip on your sausage!

-T

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/31/2013 09:10 PM, Jacquie wrote:
My last two A1C's were 5.5 and 5.6 so I guess I'm doing ok

I wish I had your numbers!

The following is just babbling. Skip it if you are in
a hurry.

Be careful of the A1C test as it is sloppy. It is based on
a red blood cell (erythrocyte) lifespan of 120 days. What
is not said openly is the plus and minus. If you look at
the ADA ("D" for Diabetis, not Dental) research on the
subject, you find a wide plus and minus in erythrocyte
lifespan:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full

The important part is on the second to last page:

We found a mean erythrocyte survival of 123 23 days
(1 SD) in a study of 40 healthy control subjects using
the CO technique used in the present investigation, a
variability comparable to that observed with more
complicated methodology (16,17).

The 23 subjects with type 2 diabetes had a mean
erythrocyte survival of 112 25 days, and only 2
subjects had survival values that were slightly
outside the normal range

So without knowing your particular "erythrocyte survival
rate", not so good information. (112 25 days for T2's.)
When I showed my GP this research paper, his response
was "Oh it is even worse than you think. What we are
trying to do is to fit statistics from general population
to individuals." He then went on to talk about statistics
from a huge study done in England. Yikes!

But A1C can still be valuable if you compare it against
your previous tests to look for a pattern and against
your fasting blood glucose, then you start knowing your
own personal A1C and it has a lot of meaning.

I actually banged my A1c (6.1%) up again the alternate
Fructosamine test (227 umol/L). (Fructosamine measures
over a shorter period than A1C but I did nothing different
over either period.)

Your Fructosamine and your A1C are suppose to match based on
a formula in the reference below . Mine did not even come
close. As a matter of fact, my Fructosamine test showed me
as completely "normal" (190-270 umol/L, no jokes unless the
are funny). And when the two don't match, you are considered
to be in "Discordance" and I am "big time".

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...1/163.full.pdf

My GP is reading over the Discordance paper to try and figure
out what the heck. My GP is a really neat guy. A true man of
science.

-T

Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

------
Was thinking the same thing When I need heat I have to admit to using
pickled jalapenos.... Talking of omelets.. I saw a banana pancake recipe
this week. I would call it an omelet personally but it was just one egg
and one mashed banana mixed together and cooked as per a pancake. At
least once a week we have a banana that is a bit too ripe to eat so was
thinking I might try it for my kids. I was the hero last night, I made
choc chip muffins in ramekins and cooked them in the micro. Hot muffins
and ice-cream in under 5 minutes. Didn't even need a mixer, just wooden
spoon. I didn't actually get to try them, I am more a bowl licker than
an eater of the end product, lol. So... that novel solved your chilli
question?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T

Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
http://vimeo.com/26493854

Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
pickled or canned.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/06/2013 01:27 PM, Opple Ipad wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T

Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
http://vimeo.com/26493854

Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
pickled or canned.

Hi Opple,

Thank you!

Which of the 401,252 different kinds of chilies do you use?

-T
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 14:08:56 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

Poblano mostly. It just depends on what's fresh. The majority of the
heat is in the chili's seeds. Huevos Mexicana, scrambled eggs and
chili's on a tortilla with cheese is good.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/06/2013 02:56 PM, Opple0pad wrote:
Poblano mostly. It just depends on what's fresh.

Hi Opple,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poblano:

The poblano is a mild chili pepper originating
in the state of Puebla, Mexico. Dried, it is
called a chile ancho ("wide chile").

And I have a huge quart jar of Ancho powder. Thank you!

I am going to ask the Community farm if the have any fresh
ones come May. Maybe try growing some myself.

Thank you!

-T
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Opple Ipad wrote:

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T

Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
http://vimeo.com/26493854

Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
pickled or canned.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479
Hypoglycemic effect of Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire in NIDDM

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T

Sorry it has been so long to get back here. Tp answer the questions.
I live in New Mexico in an area where may chili farm are located.
North of here is a twon called HATCH which bills itself as the Chili
Capital of the World. But being lazy we get locally prepaided and
canned chillies. At my age I do not need the extra work.

For the cactus, the usual is Nopletos (sp?). I have four of them
growing here at the house. But again I get them in a jar allready to
go.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/05/2013 03:50 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
pickled jalapenos ... So... that novel solved your chilli question?

Yes. Thank you!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/06/2013 10:17 PM, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Opple Ipad wrote:

[...]

Fascinating! Thank you.

Question: do you precook your poblanos? Or do you just remove the
seeds and toss em on?

-T

Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

When I cook omelets I usually put tomatoes, onions, garlic and then other herbs on it. Sometimes I put mayo with it and a lot of pepper(I love pepper).

Omelets DreadfulBitch General Cooking 57 20-07-2014 02:20 AM
Julia Child's Omelets cybercat General Cooking 77 14-12-2009 10:33 PM
Overstuffed Omelets aem General Cooking 42 26-11-2007 07:54 PM
Ke Al-Ssam (Korean Crab Meat Omelets) Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 31-08-2007 06:53 AM