Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Omelets

The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.

My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
onions and mushrooms.

Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good meal.
> This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It was the
> first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients were raw.
> I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
> onions and mushrooms.
>
> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

no, but that is what I have seen served in restaurant omelets. I don't eat
restaurant omelets - too overcooked and leathery, with rare exceptions which
I am not about to try to find by suffering through a long series of bad
omelets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:22:01 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
> meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
> was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
> were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
> onions and mushrooms.
>
> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

My mushrooms would be cooked. I use green onions, so they would be
raw. I guess now you know, so you can tell them to cook the veggies
next time. Forewarned is forearmed.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" wrote in message ...

The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.

My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
onions and mushrooms.

Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

~~~~~~~
I saute onions, mushrooms, etc. first. I do add tomatoes at the end because
I like them being "close" to uncooked in an omelet.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DreadfulBitch > wrote in
:

> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
> meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms.
> It was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the
> ingredients were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but
> not in an omelet.
>
> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an
> omelet's ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always
> saute the onions and mushrooms.
>
> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

I always cook mushrooms and peppers, but have used raw tomato. I'm not
good at flipping the suckers, so I've thrown in the towel. No more
omelets, only scrambles.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 11, 2014 5:22:01 PM UTC-7, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
>
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
>
> meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
>
> was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
>
> were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>

> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
>
> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
>
> onions and mushrooms.
>

> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?
>

> --
>
> DreadfulBitch
>

> I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Except for the tomato, the rest should have been sautéed imo. I sauté,or steam sometimes, all that you mentioned, plus spinach, broccoli, carrots, or whatever I may have leftover from dinner.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vegetables should be at least blanched or preferably sautéed with salt and pepper. Most people don't know how to cook omelets. The biggest hoot was years ago when they had a pan divided into two sections on a hinge so that you could flip the omelet handily. Ah well, when all else fails, look at the cookbook. The eggs in an omelet must be stirred in the pan, just like scrambled eggs, so that they cook evenly, rather than have them get overdone and leathery on the bottom. They sit temporarily when you add the ingredients, and then flip in half and serve. With a sharp cheese and some minced Bermuda onions (in this case, since it's such a small amount that they don't have to be blanched)- delicious!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 11, 2014 5:22:01 PM UTC-7, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch.

DH = "Dreadful Husband"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:22:01 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

>The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
>restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
>meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
>was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
>were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
>My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
>ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
>onions and mushrooms.
>
>Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

the only thing I cook for omelets is bacon. However, I don't make
omelets with something like broccoli.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good meal.
> This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It was the
> first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients were raw.
> I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
> onions and mushrooms.
>
> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

I actually like raw tomatoes and onions when I make an omelet for myself at
home, but I don't think I've ever gotten them that way at a restaurant.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good meal.
> This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It was the
> first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients were raw.
> I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
> onions and mushrooms.
>
> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

Although I no longer eat eggs, one of the best omelets I ever had, did have
raw stuff in it and that was why I liked it. The restaurant that made it is
no longer there. It was the Seahorse in Mukilteo. They were a fancy
seafood place and we took my aunt and uncle there for brunch. I remember
them having prime rib and all sorts of pastries. I don't eat any of that
stuff so I opted for an omelet that was made to order.

I remember being astounded at how it was cooked. The eggs were spread out
very thin in a special pan, cooked quickly, flipped over, then the
ingredients I had called out were put on top of the cooked eggs, it was
quickly rolled up and put on my plate.

I know that I wouldn't have asked for mushrooms as I don't care for them.
Most likely I had tomatoes, onions, peppers and cheese. I do remember the
cheese just barely being melted and the rest was raw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> I saute onions, mushrooms, etc. first. I do add tomatoes at the end
> because I like them being "close" to uncooked in an omelet.

Pretty much the same here but I don't like raw onions other than scallions.
I can't imagine not cooking the mushrooms.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had an omelet at a Village Inn, and the onions and green peppers were raw....also, at an IHOP. I suppose in
these cases, it depends on the franchisee. I also always sauté them first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:32:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

> >"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> >> The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
> >> restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good meal.
> >> This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It was the
> >> first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients were raw.
> >> I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
> >>
> >> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
> >> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
> >> onions and mushrooms.
> >>
> >> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

> >no, but that is what I have seen served in restaurant omelets. I don't eat
> >restaurant omelets - too overcooked and leathery, with rare exceptions which
> >I am not about to try to find by suffering through a long series of bad
> >omelets.
> >

> I prefer my omelet plain but recently in Cuba did they ever know how
> to make delicious omelets at the breakfast buffet! Masses of stuff
> you could add but if you wanted any, they were partially cooked in a
> pan then the eggs were added.
>
> I think they were the best omelets I have ever had.

This is interesting. I've always made my omlets with raw
vegetables...tomatoes, onion, green pepper and mushroom if I have
them. And some cheese. I've never thought to sautee them first but
I'll try that the next time.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:02:22 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:32:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"

> >> I prefer my omelet plain but recently in Cuba did they ever know how
> >> to make delicious omelets at the breakfast buffet! Masses of stuff
> >> you could add but if you wanted any, they were partially cooked in a
> >> pan then the eggs were added.
> >>
> >> I think they were the best omelets I have ever had.

> >This is interesting. I've always made my omlets with raw
> >vegetables...tomatoes, onion, green pepper and mushroom if I have
> >them. And some cheese. I've never thought to sautee them first but
> >I'll try that the next time.
> >
> >G.

> You could use the same pan, put the veggies out, start the eggs and
> add.

Well that's what I've done but once you add the veggies to the eggs,
they won't cook much. I'll try cooking them first then add to the
eggs. I might do this today too since an omlet sounds pretty good
right now for later.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:

>> >This is interesting. I've always made my omlets with raw
>> >vegetables...tomatoes, onion, green pepper and mushroom if I have
>> >them. And some cheese. I've never thought to sautee them first but
>> >I'll try that the next time.
>> >
>> >G.

>> You could use the same pan, put the veggies out, start the eggs and
>> add.

> Well that's what I've done but once you add the veggies to the eggs,
> they won't cook much. I'll try cooking them first then add to the
> eggs. I might do this today too since an omlet sounds pretty good
> right now for later.

I cook mine first (except for red peppers)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:32:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>> > wrote:

>> >no, but that is what I have seen served in restaurant omelets. I don't
>> >eat
>> >restaurant omelets - too overcooked and leathery, with rare exceptions
>> >which
>> >I am not about to try to find by suffering through a long series of bad
>> >omelets.
>> >

>> I prefer my omelet plain but recently in Cuba did they ever know how
>> to make delicious omelets at the breakfast buffet! Masses of stuff
>> you could add but if you wanted any, they were partially cooked in a
>> pan then the eggs were added.
>>
>> I think they were the best omelets I have ever had.

> This is interesting. I've always made my omlets with raw
> vegetables...tomatoes, onion, green pepper and mushroom if I have
> them. And some cheese. I've never thought to sautee them first but
> I'll try that the next time.

I always leave red peppers raw. If I want them in a cooked dish, I add them
last just before serving. For me, cooking spoils them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Are you one of those lucky people who can stuff yourself and remain
>>> skinny ?

>> I used to be when I was young and that set up bad eating habits.
>> Nowadays, I have to work hard to get rid of those extra calories.
>> Luckily, my job is in the construction trades so I do get lots of
>> exercise when I'm working.
>>
>> G.

> Well watch out when you retire because as you get older it becomes far
> harder to shed extra avoirdupois

Troy and kilos too!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:00:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > Hahaha! I have a bad reputation with my immediate family about
> > sending things back. They beg me not to order Eggs Benedict because
> > they know I'll send it back if the eggs are not cooked the way I
> > ordered them and I'll do it more than once if necessary.

> ... and you trust the cook not to exact some petty revenge on you ??? You
> are a braver woman than I!

That's more myth than fact.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:00:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>> >
>> > Hahaha! I have a bad reputation with my immediate family about
>> > sending things back. They beg me not to order Eggs Benedict because
>> > they know I'll send it back if the eggs are not cooked the way I
>> > ordered them and I'll do it more than once if necessary.

>> ... and you trust the cook not to exact some petty revenge on you ??? You
>> are a braver woman than I!

> That's more myth than fact.

Maybe, but I am not willing to take that chance!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 13-Jul-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>> > Absolutely! It happened to me just a few months ago. I wanted my
>> > eggs cooked one way and they came out another - twice. I told the
>> > server, that I would just eat it - but when the bill came, I wasn't
>> > charged for my meal and the manager came over to apologize in person.
>> > That's a class act.

>> It certainly is! We were once in a restaurant and D. was unhappy about
>> something. He ate it but mentioned it and he was not charged.

> A few years ago,I attended a dinner with colleagues at a restaurant in
> Charlotte NC. One of my colleagues was not pleased with the way his
> steak
> was prepared and sent it back - 3 times and it was still not to his
> satisfaction. The last time he voiced his displeasure, the chef came out
> of
> the kitchen, knelt by my colleague, for five minutes they discussed what
> was
> expected. The next steak that came out was "perfect" and complimentary.
> The colleague this happened to was generally an ass; I was never sure if
> the
> steak really had a problem or he was just being an attention hog.

Oh my! That chef was nothing short of being a saint!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:00:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> news >>> >
>>>
>>> ... and you trust the cook not to exact some petty revenge on you ???
>>> You
>>> are a braver woman than I!

>> That's more myth than fact.

> Maybe, but I am not willing to take that chance!

And under most circumstances I'm not willing to pay for food that's not
what I ordered, or is not prepared properly. Generally, eating out is
an occasional treat and sure don't want to throw away money on crappy food.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 13:00:02 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> That's more myth than fact.

>> Maybe, but I am not willing to take that chance!
>>

> And under most circumstances I'm not willing to pay for food that's not
> what I ordered, or is not prepared properly. Generally, eating out is an
> occasional treat and sure don't want to throw away money on crappy food.

If the food was so bad, I would leave, give them my details and tell them to
sue me. If it was not exactly as I wanted it and I had to send it back
multiple times ... not a chance I would be willing to take.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2014 4:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> And under most circumstances I'm not willing to pay for food that's not
>> what I ordered, or is not prepared properly. Generally, eating out is an
>> occasional treat and sure don't want to throw away money on crappy food.

> If the food was so bad, I would leave, give them my details and tell
> them to
> sue me. If it was not exactly as I wanted it and I had to send it back
> multiple times ... not a chance I would be willing to take.

Whether or not I would walk out would depend on who was with me and how
their food was. I certainly wouldn't walk out if my dinner partners
were enjoying their food. If we all got bad food then yes, I'd walk out
with my friends.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:22:01 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

>The other day DH and I went out for breakfast/lunch. This was at a
>restaurant we both really like and where we've always gotten a good
>meal. This time I ordered an omelet with tomato, onion & mushrooms. It
>was the first omelet I ever remember being served that the ingredients
>were raw. I love raw onions and mushrooms in a salad, but not in an omelet.
>
>My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
>ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
>onions and mushrooms.
>
>Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

I got started eating Omelets at the Waffle House. Sort of a southern
US Restaurant lining Interstate highways. Anyhow, they spin the eggs
in a blender just before cooking which really fluffs them up. Now I
have to have my Omelet with the eggs puffed up like this and of course
the Onions should be carmelized before adding to the Omelet with
shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Umm...so good!

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2014 8:55 AM, William wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:22:01 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:

>> My DH thought I was being unreasonable, but I never expected an omelet's
>> ingredients to be raw. When I make omelets at home I always saute the
>> onions and mushrooms.
>>
>> Does anyone here eat/serve omelets with uncooked ingredients?

> I got started eating Omelets at the Waffle House. Sort of a southern
> US Restaurant lining Interstate highways. Anyhow, they spin the eggs
> in a blender just before cooking which really fluffs them up. Now I
> have to have my Omelet with the eggs puffed up like this and of course
> the Onions should be carmelized before adding to the Omelet with
> shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Umm...so good!

Coincidentally, we went out for breakfast this morning and I ordered
my usual ... garden mix and bacon. So good. I finally got to
refresh my memory if the vegetables were sauteed first and yes, they
were. I wouldn't like them raw, especially, but it wouldn't be a
deal breaker. The peppers still had a bit of crunch to them, not all
cooked down.

And the bacon pieces were perfectly done, which is the most
important thing. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> Coincidentally, we went out for breakfast this morning and I ordered
> my usual ... garden mix and bacon. So good. I finally got to
> refresh my memory if the vegetables were sauteed first and yes, they
> were. I wouldn't like them raw, especially, but it wouldn't be a
> deal breaker. The peppers still had a bit of crunch to them, not all
> cooked down.
>
> And the bacon pieces were perfectly done, which is the most
> important thing. Heh.

Please would you share what the 'garden mix' consists of? All that sounds
wonderful, oh btw I love to have my peppers crunchy and don't usually add
them until right at the end

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2014 10:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Coincidentally, we went out for breakfast this morning and I ordered
>> my usual ... garden mix and bacon. So good. I finally got to
>> refresh my memory if the vegetables were sauteed first and yes, they
>> were. I wouldn't like them raw, especially, but it wouldn't be a
>> deal breaker. The peppers still had a bit of crunch to them, not all
>> cooked down.
>>
>> And the bacon pieces were perfectly done, which is the most
>> important thing. Heh.

> Please would you share what the 'garden mix' consists of? All that
> sounds wonderful, oh btw I love to have my peppers crunchy and don't
> usually add them until right at the end

Exactly how I like them! This particular place has
onion/green pepper/celery in their garden mix. To be honest,
I don't particularly notice the celery, so it must be
cooked longer or diced pretty small. The onions still
hold their shape, too, not cooked to death.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2014 10:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Coincidentally, we went out for breakfast this morning and I ordered
>>> my usual ... garden mix and bacon. So good. I finally got to
>>> refresh my memory if the vegetables were sauteed first and yes, they
>>> were. I wouldn't like them raw, especially, but it wouldn't be a
>>> deal breaker. The peppers still had a bit of crunch to them, not all
>>> cooked down.
>>>
>>> And the bacon pieces were perfectly done, which is the most
>>> important thing. Heh.

>> Please would you share what the 'garden mix' consists of? All that
>> sounds wonderful, oh btw I love to have my peppers crunchy and don't
>> usually add them until right at the end

> Exactly how I like them! This particular place has
> onion/green pepper/celery in their garden mix. To be honest,
> I don't particularly notice the celery, so it must be
> cooked longer or diced pretty small. The onions still
> hold their shape, too, not cooked to death.

Onions ... sliced and fried? I don't like celery anyway)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/