Old 19-03-2013, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you put in your omelets?

Todd wrote:

On 03/19/2013 02:15 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
Todd wrote:

On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: What do you guys put in your omelets?

: -T

Eggs. I am not a Vegan.

Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh
herbs or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.

Wendy

Thank you!

I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
a farmer.) How do you do them?

-T

Try a chopped scallion instead. I never pre-cook the vegs,
vary between mixing them in or scattering over in the pan.

Hi Bjørn,

Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallion

We have something called a green onion. Looks the same.
Do you use the whole plant or just the bulb?

-T

It's the same - called vårløk here, i.e. spring onion. I cut away the roots
and use all the rest. After a few days in the refrigerator the green top can
get unappetizing and is discarded :-)

Old 19-03-2013, 11:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/19/2013 06:59 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
: : What do you guys put in your omelets?
:
: : -T
:
: Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
:
: Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
: or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
:
: Wendy
:

: Thank you!

: I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
: probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
: a farmer.) How do you do them?

: -T

I lightly saute them , remove them from the pan and put in the beaten
seasoned(s&p) eggs, and as they cook, put the onions on top all around so,
whenthe omelette gets foded, they are the filling. Same with mushroomsor
green peppers or tomatoes.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

I think I was caramelizing them.

-T
Old 20-03-2013, 04:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
pan...oh yes and a little onion powder

Old 20-03-2013, 04:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I always pre saut onion. I wait til an omelet is almost cooked, spread
fillings on half and fold over. Turn the heat down so it finishes cooking
slowly and any cheeses melt and fillings heat. I generally preheat some
fillings. I know people who mix everything into the omelet mixture before
it is put in the pan, I prefer not.

I'm a mixer I also saute my onions first.

Old 20-03-2013, 04:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/19/2013 09:24 PM, Jacquie wrote:
I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
pan...oh yes and a little onion powder

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you!

What brand of Jam and turkey sausage are you using?

-T
Old 20-03-2013, 04:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/18/2013 08:15 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

On 03/18/2013 06:42 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

Cheese, veggies, and salsa.

Cool. Thank you.

Do you make your own salsa?

No. I get either Trader Joes or some stuff at my local farmstand;
neither is a mass-market brand with lots of sugar, etc.

Rats. No recipe.

Thank you!

-T

A nice fresh Pico de Gallo would be nice...either cooked in the omelet or
just added on top of the finished product.

Here is a recipe similar to the one I use:
Pico de Gallo
4.0 from 2 reviews Print

Recipe type: Appetizer
Author: Kristina Wiley
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 6-8
Fresh Pico de Gallo a wonderful dip or topping!
Ingredients
a.. 7-8 firm Roma tomatoes, diced
b.. 1/2 medium white (or yellow) onion, finely diced
c.. 1-2 jalapenos (remove the seeds if you want to tame the spice), finely
diced
d.. Large fist-full of cilantro, chopped
e.. Juice of 2 limes
f.. 1 tsp Salt
g.. Black Pepper to taste
Instructions
1.. Mix together and allow to sit (the longer it sits, the better the
flavors meld together). Serve with tortilla chips, or as a topping on tacos
or fajitas.

Old 29-03-2013, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

When I did that kind of thing, I'd use cheese, ham, sausage, or bacon,
onion, bell pepper, mushroom, herbs, and salsa, singly, or in
combination. I'd have it with a white wine, and a nap.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 30-03-2013, 03:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

On 03/19/2013 09:24 PM, Jacquie wrote:
I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
pan...oh yes and a little onion powder

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you!

What brand of Jam and turkey sausage are you using?

-T

I use the Smuckers No Sugar Jam...just a bit, don't need a lot because it
gets a bit syurpy from the heat of the egg. I use the Jimmy Dean Turkey
Sausage crumbles.

Old 30-03-2013, 05:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you!

http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

-T
Old 30-03-2013, 08:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
I use the Smuckers No Sugar Jam...just a bit, don't need a lot because it
gets a bit syurpy from the heat of the egg. I use the Jimmy Dean Turkey
Sausage crumbles.

I used to like the Smuckers until I tried Crofter's all fruit spread. That
stuff is da bomb! I was out of it once and bought the Smuckers but found
that I couldn't eat it. Tasted of chemicals to me.

Then my now gone health food store started carrying the Sweet Creek jam.
It's unsweetened. But my oh my was it sweet! Too sweet. I couldn't eat
it. I do love their other foods though. All of them!

Old 30-03-2013, 12:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
: Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

: Hi Jacquie,

: Thank you!

: http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

: INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
: LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
: EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

: Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

: -T

Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.

Wendy
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
: On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
: Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

: Hi Jacquie,

: Thank you!

: http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

: INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
: LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
: EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

: Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

: -T

Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.

Wendy

It's only 1 carb per 1/2 cup...and I might use almost 1/4 cup mixed with my
scrambled eggs. My last two A1C's were 5.5 and 5.6 so I guess I'm doing ok

Omelets DreadfulBitch General Cooking 57 20-07-2014 02:20 AM
Julia Child's Omelets cybercat General Cooking 77 14-12-2009 10:33 PM
Overstuffed Omelets aem General Cooking 42 26-11-2007 07:54 PM
Ke Al-Ssam (Korean Crab Meat Omelets) Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 31-08-2007 06:53 AM