FoodBanter.com

-   -   What do you put in your omelets? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/423344-what-do-you-put.html)

Todd 19-03-2013 01:54 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

Hi All,

What do you guys put in your omelets?

-T

W. Baker 19-03-2013 02:33 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: What do you guys put in your omelets?

: -T

Eggs. I am not a Vegan.

Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.

Wendy

Alice Faber 19-03-2013 02:42 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What do you guys put in your omelets?

Cheese, veggies, and salsa.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Todd 19-03-2013 03:13 AM

On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : What do you guys put in your omelets?
>
> : -T
>
> Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
>
> Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
> or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!

I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
a farmer.) How do you do them?

-T

Todd 19-03-2013 03:13 AM

On 03/18/2013 06:42 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>

> Cheese, veggies, and salsa.

Cool. Thank you.

Do you make your own salsa?

-T

Alice Faber 19-03-2013 04:15 AM

wrote:

> On 03/18/2013 06:42 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> What do you guys put in your omelets?
> >>

> > Cheese, veggies, and salsa.
> >

> Cool. Thank you.
>
> Do you make your own salsa?

No. I get either Trader Joes or some stuff at my local farmstand;
neither is a mass-market brand with lots of sugar, etc.

Todd 19-03-2013 04:28 AM

On 03/18/2013 08:15 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/18/2013 06:42 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> Cheese, veggies, and salsa.
>>>

>> Cool. Thank you.
>>
>> Do you make your own salsa?
>>

> No. I get either Trader Joes or some stuff at my local farmstand;
> neither is a mass-market brand with lots of sugar, etc.

Rats. No recipe.

Thank you!

-T

Ozgirl 19-03-2013 05:03 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

Ham, cheese, asparagus.

My absolute best was a Mediterranean style :) : had to look at my
Facebook pics to remember what was in it, lol.

"This was delicious! I had some leftover salsa from the kids' burritos I
did tonight. Spread some of that on the omelet when it was almost cooked
and topped it with spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, dried tomatoes,
olives and crumbled feta."

sautéed onions with crispy bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and canned
crush tomatoes (heated up).

Last week, I put some left-over chilli con carne on the omelet and
grated cheeses.

So many things go with omelet :)

Has anyone mentioned frittatas to you? I eat one a week. Make one up and
have 1/4 of it each day in a row. Have it hot with salad at dinner.

Ozgirl 19-03-2013 05:07 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

I always pre sauté onion. I wait til an omelet is almost cooked, spread
fillings on half and fold over. Turn the heat down so it finishes
cooking slowly and any cheeses melt and fillings heat. I generally
preheat some fillings. I know people who mix everything into the omelet
mixture before it is put in the pan, I prefer not.

Todd 19-03-2013 05:10 AM

On 03/18/2013 09:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I always pre sauté onion. I wait til an omelet is almost cooked, spread
> fillings on half and fold over. Turn the heat down so it finishes
> cooking slowly and any cheeses melt and fillings heat. I generally
> preheat some fillings. I know people who mix everything into the omelet
> mixture before it is put in the pan, I prefer not.

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you. I need this kind of instruction. Very much
appreciated!

-T

Todd 19-03-2013 05:13 AM

Julie Bove[_2_] 19-03-2013 05:51 AM

Ozgirl wrote:
> Ham, cheese, asparagus.
>
> My absolute best was a Mediterranean style :) : had to look at my
> Facebook pics to remember what was in it, lol.
>
> "This was delicious! I had some leftover salsa from the kids'
> burritos I did tonight. Spread some of that on the omelet when it was
> almost cooked and topped it with spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic,
> dried tomatoes, olives and crumbled feta."
>
> sautéed onions with crispy bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter and
> canned crush tomatoes (heated up).
>
> Last week, I put some left-over chilli con carne on the omelet and
> grated cheeses.
>
> So many things go with omelet :)
>
> Has anyone mentioned frittatas to you? I eat one a week. Make one up
> and have 1/4 of it each day in a row. Have it hot with salad at
> dinner.

I was shocked last week to see Lidia Bastianich make a frittata that didn't
go in the oven! She just made it on the stove in a skillet. I always
thought they had to go in the oven! I tried making one once. The kind that
goes in the oven. When I tried to put the plate over the skillet then flip
it over, the plate slipped. It fell and broke and the frittata went
everywhere. Never tried that again.

Bjørn Steensrud 19-03-2013 10:15 AM

Todd wrote:

> On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> : Hi All,
>>
>> : What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>
>> : -T
>>
>> Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
>>
>> Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
>> or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Thank you!
>
> I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
> probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
> a farmer.) How do you do them?
>
> -T

Try a chopped scallion instead. I never pre-cook the vegs,
vary between mixing them in or scattering over in the pan.

W. Baker 19-03-2013 02:59 PM

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
: > : What do you guys put in your omelets?
: >
: > : -T
: >
: > Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
: >
: > Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
: > or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Thank you!

: I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
: probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
: a farmer.) How do you do them?

: -T

I lightly saute them , remove them from the pan and put in the beaten
seasoned(s&p) eggs, and as they cook, put the onions on top all around so,
whenthe omelette gets foded, they are the filling. Same with mushroomsor
green peppers or tomatoes.

Wendy

Todd 19-03-2013 08:47 PM

On 03/19/2013 02:15 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : Hi All,
>>>
>>> : What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>>
>>> : -T
>>>
>>> Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
>>>
>>> Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
>>> or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
>> probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
>> a farmer.) How do you do them?
>>
>> -T

> Try a chopped scallion instead. I never pre-cook the vegs,
> vary between mixing them in or scattering over in the pan.

Hi Bjørn,

Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallion

We have something called a green onion. Looks the same.
Do you use the whole plant or just the bulb?

-T

Bjørn Steensrud 19-03-2013 10:24 PM

Todd wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 02:15 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Todd wrote:

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
>>> probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
>>> a farmer.) How do you do them?
>>>
>>> -T

>> Try a chopped scallion instead. I never pre-cook the vegs,
>> vary between mixing them in or scattering over in the pan.
>>

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Thank you!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallion
>
> We have something called a green onion. Looks the same.
> Do you use the whole plant or just the bulb?
>
> -T

It's the same - called vårløk here, i.e. spring onion. I cut away the roots
and use all the rest. After a few days in the refrigerator the green top can
get unappetizing and is discarded :-)

Todd 20-03-2013 12:19 AM

Todd 20-03-2013 12:20 AM

On 03/19/2013 06:59 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/18/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Todd > wrote:
> : > : Hi All,
> : >
> : > : What do you guys put in your omelets?
> : >
> : > : -T
> : >
> : > Eggs. I am not a Vegan.
> : >
> : > Sometime cheese, cometimes onions and/or mushrooms, sometimes fresh herbs
> : > or chives(in summer), sometimes smoked salmon.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>

> : Thank you!
>
> : I have tried onions. Never come out so good. I am
> : probably doing them wrong. (I am no better a cook than
> : a farmer.) How do you do them?
>
> : -T
>
> I lightly saute them , remove them from the pan and put in the beaten
> seasoned(s&p) eggs, and as they cook, put the onions on top all around so,
> whenthe omelette gets foded, they are the filling. Same with mushroomsor
> green peppers or tomatoes.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

I think I was caramelizing them.

-T

Jacquie 20-03-2013 05:24 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
pan...oh yes and a little onion powder :)

Jacquie 20-03-2013 05:26 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I always pre sauté onion. I wait til an omelet is almost cooked, spread
>fillings on half and fold over. Turn the heat down so it finishes cooking
>slowly and any cheeses melt and fillings heat. I generally preheat some
>fillings. I know people who mix everything into the omelet mixture before
>it is put in the pan, I prefer not.

I'm a mixer :) I also saute my onions first.

Todd 20-03-2013 05:38 AM

On 03/19/2013 09:24 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
> with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
> plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
> scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
> pan...oh yes and a little onion powder :)

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you!

What brand of Jam and turkey sausage are you using?

-T

Jacquie 20-03-2013 05:41 AM

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/18/2013 08:15 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
>> In article >, Todd >
>> wrote:

>>> Cool. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Do you make your own salsa?
>>>

>> No. I get either Trader Joes or some stuff at my local farmstand;
>> neither is a mass-market brand with lots of sugar, etc.
>>

> Rats. No recipe.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

A nice fresh Pico de Gallo would be nice...either cooked in the omelet or
just added on top of the finished product.

Here is a recipe similar to the one I use:
Pico de Gallo
4.0 from 2 reviews Print

Recipe type: Appetizer
Author: Kristina Wiley
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 6-8
Fresh Pico de Gallo €“ a wonderful dip or topping!
Ingredients
a.. 7-8 firm Roma tomatoes, diced
b.. 1/2 medium white (or yellow) onion, finely diced
c.. 1-2 jalapenos (remove the seeds if you want to tame the spice), finely
diced
d.. Large fist-full of cilantro, chopped
e.. Juice of 2 limes
f.. 1 tsp Salt
g.. Black Pepper to taste
Instructions
1.. Mix together and allow to sit (the longer it sits, the better the
flavors meld together). Serve with tortilla chips, or as a topping on tacos
or fajitas.

Todd 20-03-2013 06:08 AM

On 03/19/2013 09:41 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 03/18/2013 08:15 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> No. I get either Trader Joes or some stuff at my local farmstand;
>>> neither is a mass-market brand with lots of sugar, etc.
>>>

>> Rats. No recipe.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T
>>

> A nice fresh Pico de Gallo would be nice...either cooked in the omelet
> or just added on top of the finished product.
>
> Here is a recipe similar to the one I use:
> Pico de Gallo
> 4.0 from 2 reviews Print
>
> Recipe type: Appetizer
> Author: Kristina Wiley
> Prep time: 15 mins
> Total time: 15 mins
> Serves: 6-8
> Fresh Pico de Gallo €“ a wonderful dip or topping!
> Ingredients
> a.. 7-8 firm Roma tomatoes, diced
> b.. 1/2 medium white (or yellow) onion, finely diced
> c.. 1-2 jalapenos (remove the seeds if you want to tame the spice),
> finely diced
> d.. Large fist-full of cilantro, chopped
> e.. Juice of 2 limes
> f.. 1 tsp Salt
> g.. Black Pepper to taste
> Instructions
> 1.. Mix together and allow to sit (the longer it sits, the better the
> flavors meld together). Serve with tortilla chips, or as a topping on
> tacos or fajitas.

Thank you!

Billy[_9_] 29-03-2013 01:16 AM

wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>
> -T

When I did that kind of thing, I'd use cheese, ham, sausage, or bacon,
onion, bell pepper, mushroom, herbs, and salsa, singly, or in
combination. I'd have it with a white wine, and a nap.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Todd 29-03-2013 01:30 AM

Jacquie 30-03-2013 04:47 AM

"Todd" > wrote in message
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> What do you guys put in your omelets?

> On 03/19/2013 09:24 PM, Jacquie wrote:
>> I just put chopped sauted onions and chopped ham , I do add onion powder
>> with pepper...ad chedder cheese before folding...then once it's on the
>> plate I spread apricot jam(no sugar )...pretty tasty. When I just do
>> scrambled I sometimes add the crumbled Turkey sausage when mixing in the
>> pan...oh yes and a little onion powder :)
>>

> Hi Jacquie,
>
> Thank you!
>
> What brand of Jam and turkey sausage are you using?
>
> -T

I use the Smuckers No Sugar Jam...just a bit, don't need a lot because it
gets a bit syurpy from the heat of the egg. I use the Jimmy Dean Turkey
Sausage crumbles.

Todd 30-03-2013 06:18 AM

On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

Hi Jacquie,

Thank you!

http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

-T

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-03-2013 09:17 AM

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> I use the Smuckers No Sugar Jam...just a bit, don't need a lot because it
> gets a bit syurpy from the heat of the egg. I use the Jimmy Dean Turkey
> Sausage crumbles.

I used to like the Smuckers until I tried Crofter's all fruit spread. That
stuff is da bomb! I was out of it once and bought the Smuckers but found
that I couldn't eat it. Tasted of chemicals to me.

Then my now gone health food store started carrying the Sweet Creek jam.
It's unsweetened. But my oh my was it sweet! Too sweet. I couldn't eat
it. I do love their other foods though. All of them!

W. Baker 30-03-2013 01:25 PM

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
: > Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage

: Hi Jacquie,

: Thank you!

: http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/

: INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
: LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
: EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID

: Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.

: -T

Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.

Wendy

Jacquie 01-04-2013 05:10 AM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> : > Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage
>
> : Hi Jacquie,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/
>
> : INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
> : LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
> : EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID
>

> : Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.
>
> : -T
>
> Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.
>
> Wendy

It's only 1 carb per 1/2 cup...and I might use almost 1/4 cup mixed with my
scrambled eggs. My last two A1C's were 5.5 and 5.6 so I guess I'm doing ok
:)

Todd 02-04-2013 04:40 AM

On 03/30/2013 05:25 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> : > Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage
>
> : Hi Jacquie,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/
>
> : INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
> : LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
> : EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID
>

> : Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.
>
> : -T
>
> Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

As Jacquie points out "1 carb per 1/2 cup". And since they called
out a half cup, they are not trying to deceive with the under 1 carb so
they can call it zero labeling loop hole. (Serves 236, serving size
1/100 ounce, carbs 0. Our labeling laws leave a lot to be desired.)

So nothing to fret about. I eat bacon all the time with a tiny
amount of sugar added.

What concerns me is the MSG. MSG is used to make things taste
better so you can cut back on quality, gives you time delayed
headaches (4 to 8 hours after ingestion), gives you asthma,
causes eventual brain damage, and is addictive (keeps you coming
back for more), which is why it is called an excitotoxin.
A good example of "food like substances".

Interesting how they used two different kinds of sugar so they
could say each was under 2%. Combined, well ... (Still low
enough not to matter.)

Thank you for the tip on your sausage!

-T

Todd 02-04-2013 05:03 AM

On 03/31/2013 09:10 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> My last two A1C's were 5.5 and 5.6 so I guess I'm doing ok :)

I wish I had your numbers!

The following is just babbling. Skip it if you are in
a hurry.

Be careful of the A1C test as it is sloppy. It is based on
a red blood cell (erythrocyte) lifespan of 120 days. What
is not said openly is the plus and minus. If you look at
the ADA ("D" for Diabetis, not Dental) research on the
subject, you find a wide plus and minus in erythrocyte
lifespan:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full

The important part is on the second to last page:

We found a mean erythrocyte survival of 123 ± 23 days
(1 SD) in a study of 40 healthy control subjects using
the CO technique used in the present investigation, a
variability comparable to that observed with more
complicated methodology (16,17).

The 23 subjects with type 2 diabetes had a mean
erythrocyte survival of 112 ± 25 days, and only 2
subjects had survival values that were slightly
outside the normal range

So without knowing your particular "erythrocyte survival
rate", not so good information. (112 ± 25 days for T2's.)
When I showed my GP this research paper, his response
was "Oh it is even worse than you think. What we are
trying to do is to fit statistics from general population
to individuals." He then went on to talk about statistics
from a huge study done in England. Yikes!

But A1C can still be valuable if you compare it against
your previous tests to look for a pattern and against
your fasting blood glucose, then you start knowing your
own personal A1C and it has a lot of meaning.

I actually banged my A1c (6.1%) up again the alternate
Fructosamine test (227 umol/L). (Fructosamine measures
over a shorter period than A1C but I did nothing different
over either period.)

Your Fructosamine and your A1C are suppose to match based on
a formula in the reference below . Mine did not even come
close. As a matter of fact, my Fructosamine test showed me
as completely "normal" (190-270 umol/L, no jokes unless the
are funny). And when the two don't match, you are considered
to be in "Discordance" and I am "big time".

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...1/163.full.pdf

My GP is reading over the Discordance paper to try and figure
out what the heck. My GP is a really neat guy. A true man of
science.

-T

Bob Bloggs 05-04-2013 02:20 AM

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>Hi All,
>
> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>
>-T

Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Todd 05-04-2013 07:17 PM

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>
>> -T

> Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

-T

Ozgirl 05-04-2013 11:50 PM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>
>> -T

> Eggs and cactus or green chilies

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)

Cactus? Elucidate!

------
Was thinking the same thing :) When I need heat I have to admit to using
pickled jalapenos.... Talking of omelets.. I saw a banana pancake recipe
this week. I would call it an omelet personally but it was just one egg
and one mashed banana mixed together and cooked as per a pancake. At
least once a week we have a banana that is a bit too ripe to eat so was
thinking I might try it for my kids. I was the hero last night, I made
choc chip muffins in ramekins and cooked them in the micro. Hot muffins
and ice-cream in under 5 minutes. Didn't even need a mixer, just wooden
spoon. I didn't actually get to try them, I am more a bowl licker than
an eater of the end product, lol. So... that novel solved your chilli
question? ;)

Opple Ipad 06-04-2013 09:27 PM

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Bob Bloggs wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:54:16 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> What do you guys put in your omelets?
>>>
>>> -T

>> Eggs and cactus or green chilies
>>

>Hi Bob,
>
>Thank you.
>
>What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
>the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
>great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)
>
>Cactus? Elucidate!
>
>-T

Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
http://vimeo.com/26493854

Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
pickled or canned.

Todd 06-04-2013 10:08 PM

On 04/06/2013 01:27 PM, Opple Ipad wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>>> Eggs and cactus or green chilies
>>>

>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
>> the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
>> great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)
>>
>> Cactus? Elucidate!
>>
>> -T

> Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
> But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
> http://vimeo.com/26493854
>
> Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
> pickled or canned.

Hi Opple,

Thank you!

Which of the 401,252 different kinds of chilies do you use?

-T

Opple0pad 06-04-2013 10:56 PM

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 14:08:56 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 04/06/2013 01:27 PM, Opple Ipad wrote:

>>> Hi Bob,
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
>>> the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
>>> great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)
>>>
>>> Cactus? Elucidate!
>>>
>>> -T

>> Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
>> But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
>> http://vimeo.com/26493854
>>
>> Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
>> pickled or canned.
>>

>Hi Opple,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Which of the 401,252 different kinds of chilies do you use?
>
>-T

Poblano mostly. It just depends on what's fresh. The majority of the
heat is in the chili's seeds. Huevos Mexicana, scrambled eggs and
chili's on a tortilla with cheese is good.

Todd 06-04-2013 11:13 PM

On 04/06/2013 02:56 PM, Opple0pad wrote:
> Poblano mostly. It just depends on what's fresh.

Hi Opple,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poblano:

The poblano is a mild chili pepper originating
in the state of Puebla, Mexico. Dried, it is
called a chile ancho ("wide chile").

And I have a huge quart jar of Ancho powder. Thank you!

I am going to ask the Community farm if the have any fresh
ones come May. Maybe try growing some myself.

Thank you!

-T

Billy[_9_] 07-04-2013 06:17 AM

What do you put in your omelets?

In article >,
Opple Ipad > wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:17:54 -0700, Todd > wrote:

> >> Eggs and cactus or green chilies
> >>

> >Hi Bob,
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >What kind of green chilies? All the green chilies I find in
> >the stores are gross. (A local sandwich shop has really
> >great ones, but I feel a bit rude asking for the brand.)
> >
> >Cactus? Elucidate!
> >
> >-T

> Cactus = prickly pear (most people will use this)
> But there are more edible types including the fruit of the cactus.
> http://vimeo.com/26493854
>
> Any chili's you like really. For omelets I prefer fresh chili's not
> pickled or canned.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479
Hypoglycemic effect of Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire in NIDDM