Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Julia Child's Omelets

Just saw her classic omelet segment. Regarding the browned/not browned
debate, she says there are two kinds, regular and puffy. Regular is not
browned and in fact looks barely cooked. This is the one where she beats
plain eggs lightly, gets an 8-inch nonstick fry pan hot, puts in a
tablespoon of butter, waits until it foams and dies down, then puts the 2-3
eggs in and after 2 seconds or so shakes the pan in a circular motion to get
more of the egg heated, then jerks the pan toward her until the eggs kind of
roll onto themselves, then turns it over on a plate and sprinkles some
parsley on.

Filled rendition that looked the best was bacon bits and fried diced
potatoes, added just after the circular shaking.

The puffy omelet she made in one of those hinged things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:11:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Just saw her classic omelet segment. Regarding the browned/not browned
>debate, she says there are two kinds, regular and puffy. Regular is not
>browned and in fact looks barely cooked. This is the one where she beats
>plain eggs lightly, gets an 8-inch nonstick fry pan hot, puts in a
>tablespoon of butter, waits until it foams and dies down, then puts the 2-3
>eggs in

Hmm, an 8" pan is too small for a three egg omelet, unless they're
peewee sized. An omelet pan needs to be large enough so that when the
eggs are poured in they don't reach the pan sides... a three large egg
omelet needs a 10"-11" pan... actually an omelet turns out best when
cooked on a gridle.

and after 2 seconds or so shakes the pan in a circular motion to get
>more of the egg heated, then jerks the pan toward her until the eggs kind of
>roll onto themselves, then turns it over on a plate and sprinkles some
>parsley on.
>
>Filled rendition that looked the best was bacon bits and fried diced
>potatoes, added just after the circular shaking.
>
>The puffy omelet she made in one of those hinged things.

Oh, geeze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message ...
| Just saw her classic omelet segment. Regarding the browned/not browned
| debate, she says there are two kinds, regular and puffy. Regular is not
| browned and in fact looks barely cooked. This is the one where she beats
| plain eggs lightly, gets an 8-inch nonstick fry pan hot, puts in a
| tablespoon of butter, waits until it foams and dies down, then puts the 2-3
| eggs in and after 2 seconds or so shakes the pan in a circular motion to get
| more of the egg heated, then jerks the pan toward her until the eggs kind of
| roll onto themselves, then turns it over on a plate and sprinkles some
| parsley on.
|
| Filled rendition that looked the best was bacon bits and fried diced
| potatoes, added just after the circular shaking.
|
| The puffy omelet she made in one of those hinged things.

Wonderful nostalgia. My two early cooking inspirations were Julia and
Craig Claiborne. I was using Craig's method of shaking the pan and
stirring with a fork, then turning the hand upside down to turn out the
omelet and had just gotten pretty good at it (in NYTimes Cookbook, p. 305,
nicely illustrated with photos) when Julia's show came on and I tried to
switch to her shaking/jerking technique. I never got it, but the stovetop
and floor got a lot from my attempts.

As I recall Julia's omelet thing was very instrumental in the "acceptance" of
the nonstick pans in gourmet cooking circles of that day. People had just
started spending real money on expensive cookwares, snubbing such cheap
junk as the Teflon pans, when Julia was asked what she used and answered
that she preferred the light, inexpensive pans...or maybe she said this on the
show you referenced. Anyhow, great fun and Thanks For The Memories.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >Filled rendition that looked the best was bacon bits and fried diced
> >potatoes, added just after the circular shaking.
> >
> >The puffy omelet she made in one of those hinged things.

> Oh, geeze.

I used to have a hinged non stick pan for Omelets. ;-) I LOVED it. I
had to toss it when the coating started to peel and have not replaced it
tho'. I need to learn how to do it right.

The best Omelet folder on the list used to be Kili. :-( She posted some
lovely Omelet pics. I still have trouble doing it right...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 3:39*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > >Filled rendition that looked the best was bacon bits and fried diced
> > >potatoes, added just after the circular shaking.

> > >The puffy omelet she made in one of those hinged things.

> > Oh, geeze.

> I used to have a hinged non stick pan for Omelets. ;-) *I LOVED it. I
> had to toss it when the coating started to peel and have not replaced it
> tho'. *I need to learn how to do it right.
>
> The best Omelet folder on the list used to be Kili. :-( She posted some
> lovely Omelet pics. I still have trouble doing it right...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." *
> --Steve Rothstein

You seem to have learned that lesson in spades.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote
> As I recall Julia's omelet thing was very instrumental in the "acceptance"
> of
> the nonstick pans in gourmet cooking circles of that day. People had just
> started spending real money on expensive cookwares, snubbing such cheap
> junk as the Teflon pans, when Julia was asked what she used and answered
> that she preferred the light, inexpensive pans...or maybe she said this on
> the
> show you referenced. Anyhow, great fun and Thanks For The Memories.

She did indeed say this! She showed a heavy, shiny pan she called highly
polished aluminum and something like 3/8 of an inch thick and "very
expensive" then said she liked the inexpensive nonstick. Which looked kind
of like the Calphalon nonstick of today, not nearly as flimsy as our cheap
nonsticks are now. Our public TV station is playing these old shows. She
demonstrated with dried beans, how to shake the eggs, then dumped them in
the trash and said "voila, haha!" I plan to watch all of these I can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:40:45 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:11:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Just saw her classic omelet segment. Regarding the browned/not browned
>>debate, she says there are two kinds, regular and puffy. Regular is not
>>browned and in fact looks barely cooked. This is the one where she beats
>>plain eggs lightly, gets an 8-inch nonstick fry pan hot, puts in a
>>tablespoon of butter, waits until it foams and dies down, then puts the 2-3
>>eggs in

> Hmm, an 8" pan is too small for a three egg omelet, unless they're
> peewee sized. An omelet pan needs to be large enough so that when the
> eggs are poured in they don't reach the pan sides... a three large egg
> omelet needs a 10"-11" pan... actually an omelet turns out best when
> cooked on a gridle.

in the navy, maybe.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote
> Wonderful nostalgia. My two early cooking inspirations were Julia and
> Craig Claiborne. I was using Craig's method of shaking the pan and
> stirring with a fork, then turning the hand upside down to turn out the
> omelet and had just gotten pretty good at it (in NYTimes Cookbook, p. 305,
> nicely illustrated with photos) when Julia's show came on and I tried to
> switch to her shaking/jerking technique. I never got it, but the stovetop
> and floor got a lot from my attempts.

haha!! You know I had to try Julia's method. The circular shaking worked
fine, but the jerking the pan toward me resulted in egg on the floor! Just a
little. The bit closest to me, which should have folded over onto itself
went over the edge instead. If I tilt the pan more toward the stove and let
gravity work for me it is better. I put browned onions, ham bits, and sweet
red pepper in mine, a bit of shredded cheddar. It was very nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
| On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:40:45 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:
|
| > On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:11:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
| > wrote:
| >
| >>Just saw her classic omelet segment. Regarding the browned/not browned
| >>debate, she says there are two kinds, regular and puffy. Regular is not
| >>browned and in fact looks barely cooked. This is the one where she beats
| >>plain eggs lightly, gets an 8-inch nonstick fry pan hot, puts in a
| >>tablespoon of butter, waits until it foams and dies down, then puts the 2-3
| >>eggs in
| >
| > Hmm, an 8" pan is too small for a three egg omelet, unless they're
| > peewee sized. An omelet pan needs to be large enough so that when the
| > eggs are poured in they don't reach the pan sides... a three large egg
| > omelet needs a 10"-11" pan... actually an omelet turns out best when
| > cooked on a gridle.
| >

| in the navy, maybe.
|
| blake

OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> | On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:40:45 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> | > Hmm, an 8" pan is too small for a three egg omelet, unless they're
> | > peewee sized. An omelet pan needs to be large enough so that when the
> | > eggs are poured in they don't reach the pan sides... a three large egg
> | > omelet needs a 10"-11" pan... actually an omelet turns out best when
> | > cooked on a gridle.
> | >

> | in the navy, maybe.
> |
> | blake
>
> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

BTW, I agree, an 8 inch pan is *way* too small for 3 large eggs. Maybe
2 medium.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "pavane" > wrote:

>> the

>> the
>> egg
>> | >

>> | in the navy, maybe.
>> |
>> | blake
>>
>> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

> When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
>
> BTW, I agree, an 8 inch pan is *way* too small for 3 large eggs. Maybe
> 2 medium.

See the show, they you will understand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> | On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:40:45 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> not
> beats
> the 2-3
> | >
> | > Hmm, an 8" pan is too small for a three egg omelet, unless they're
> | > peewee sized. An omelet pan needs to be large enough so that when the
> | > eggs are poured in they don't reach the pan sides... a three large egg
> | > omelet needs a 10"-11" pan... actually an omelet turns out best when
> | > cooked on a gridle.
> | >

> | in the navy, maybe.
> |
> | blake
>
> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
it is done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:
> > OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!
> >

> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
> it is done.

It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!

The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
not be right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:58:39 -0800, Michael Siemon
> wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote:
>> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
>> it is done.

>It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
>low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
>last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
>them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>
>The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
>and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
>not be right.

I've watched cooks make omelets on a restaurant sized grill/griddle...
it's a two spatula operation, but it's done. I make mine in a large
skillet. I like them thin w/o a lot of filling and I roll mine -
using a spatula to nudge it along.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 7, 10:58 pm, Michael Siemon > wrote:
> In article >, "cybercat" > wrote:

> > > OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

> > Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
> > it is done.

> It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
> low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
> last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
> them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>
> The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
> and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
> not be right.

As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
all, not a problem to control. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Dec 7, 10:58 pm, Michael Siemon > wrote:

> > > Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is
> > > how
> > > it is done.

> > It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
> > low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
> > last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
> > them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
> >
> > The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
> > and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
> > not be right.

> As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
> them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
> cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
> much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
> can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
> too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
> section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
> all, not a problem to control. -aem

I think everyone could benefit from some experience in commercial
cooking... I've watched some of those guys work and it's pretty amazing
really.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:04:59 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> "pavane" > wrote:

>>| in the navy, maybe.
>>|
>>| blake
>>
>> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!

> When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
>
> BTW, I agree, an 8 inch pan is *way* too small for 3 large eggs. Maybe
> 2 medium.

i use a seven-inch revereware (stainless) for two-egg omelets and usually
get good results. but i use a lot of butter (one tablespoon).

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:43:37 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "pavane" > wrote in message

>> not
>> beats
>> the 2-3

>>| in the navy, maybe.
>>|
>>| blake
>>
>> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!
>>

> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
> it is done.

well, that's how i do it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:58:39 -0800, Michael Siemon wrote:

> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!
>>>

>> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
>> it is done.

> It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
> low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
> last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
> them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>
> The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
> and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
> not be right.

i just think the griddle would be too ****ing hot. no browned eggs for me,
please.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:51:16 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>> > Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
>> > it is done.

>> It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
>> low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
>> last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
>> them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>>
>> The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
>> and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
>> not be right.

>As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
>them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
>cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
>much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
>can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
>too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
>section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
>all, not a problem to control. -aem

Those are the kitchen morons who those idiotic hinged pans were
invented for. No professional cook uses a pan to cook omelets, what
if there needs to be more than one omelet served at the same time? duh

Every restaurant that serves breakfast cooks all their fried eggs,
regardless of style, on a griddle... in fact they don't own any fry
pans. Only kitchen sissies fry eggs in a pan. Actually the fry pan
is the most useless of all cookware... anytime I enter a kitchen that
has a slew of various sized fry pans displayed all over the walls,
ceiling, etc. as if to announce we can really cook here to me that has
just the opposite effect, I immediately know that no one who knows how
to cook anything lives there. Griddles and saute pans are necessary,
not fry pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> I do the tablespoon of unsalted butter method. Get the pan hot and drop
> the butter in. Wait until it stops foaming and starts to brown a bit
> then pour in the scrambled egg.
>
> I usually grease up the pan pretty well with the butter and just shake
> around in a circular motion. Use a pair of tongs to loosen up the edges
> and it just slides right out.

This means you also have a well seasoned pan. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:51:16 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 7, 10:58 pm, Michael Siemon > wrote:
>>> In article >, "cybercat"

>>> It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has
>>> had low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always
>>> chosen last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to
>>> try to flip them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>>>
>>> The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
>>> and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
>>> not be right.

>> As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
>> them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
>> cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
>> much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
>> can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
>> too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
>> section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
>> all, not a problem to control. -aem

> Those are the kitchen morons who those idiotic hinged pans were
> invented for. No professional cook uses a pan to cook omelets, what
> if there needs to be more than one omelet served at the same time? duh
>
> Every restaurant that serves breakfast cooks all their fried eggs,
> regardless of style, on a griddle... in fact they don't own any fry
> pans. Only kitchen sissies fry eggs in a pan. Actually the fry pan
> is the most useless of all cookware... anytime I enter a kitchen that
> has a slew of various sized fry pans displayed all over the walls,
> ceiling, etc. as if to announce we can really cook here to me that has
> just the opposite effect, I immediately know that no one who knows how
> to cook anything lives there. Griddles and saute pans are necessary,
> not fry pans.

Why do you keep harping on about professional cooks? Most of us here cook
for our families. I have no interest in cooking as a professional cook in my
kitchen!! We don't cook for the multitude and don't want to. I don't suppose
you do either!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:51:16 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:

>>> It is not a crime to fold omelets with a spatula -- as one who has had
>>> low hand-eye coordination since childhood (stereotype: always chosen
>>> last for any ball game... :-)), I would be ill-advised to try to flip
>>> them -- far too much waste and clean-up afterwards!
>>>
>>> The problem with a griddle is that the eggs would spread too thin,
>>> and (whether or not the result was tasty) the consistency would just
>>> not be right.

>> As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
>> them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
>> cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
>> much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
>> can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
>> too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
>> section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
>> all, not a problem to control. -aem

> Those are the kitchen morons who those idiotic hinged pans were
> invented for. No professional cook uses a pan to cook omelets, what
> if there needs to be more than one omelet served at the same time? duh

The Waffle House just called and reminded me that they make ALL their
omelets in pans.... even thought hey have a grill.

Excuse me... I have another phone call........

Oh... that was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. They just reminded me that
all their omelets stations are equipped with pans and in fact, thy even
fry eggs in them.... even though they have LOTS of grills.

As I recall, EVERY major cruise line I have been on (and that would be
all of them) use pans to make omelets. On some ships, each cook as 3 to
4 pans going at once and the omelets are made to order. In pans.
Hundreds and hundreds of them, every morning.

I've cooked omelets on grills and in fry pans, saute pans and even (wait
for it......) omelet pans. Doesn't really matter. A good cook can make
an omelet using any of these.

Of course, if you are a self appointed, anal retentive "expert", your
panties might get in a bunch over stuff like this, but the rest of us
will just cook our omelets and fry our eggs in or on whatever we have,
while Mr. Clavin sits alone at the end of the bar, nursing his beer.

Here is a question..... when did a kitchen grill or griddle start being
called a "flat-top"? When I worked in a kitchen, it was almost always
called a grill..... a few called it a griddle..... but now, everyone in
the food industry seems to call it a flat-top.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:09:02 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i use a seven-inch revereware (stainless) for two-egg omelets and usually
>get good results. but i use a lot of butter (one tablespoon).

Oh, man... butter in eggs is sublime. I don't fry/saute with butter,
but I do when making scrambled eggs or omelets. 1 hunk of butter in
the pan (that's not hot enough to brown the butter), let it melt
almost all the way and pour in eggs. Add another hunk of butter and
agitate the eggs until set - getting all that saturated buttery
goodness well incorporated. YUM!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:11:59 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>Here is a question..... when did a kitchen grill or griddle start being
>called a "flat-top"? When I worked in a kitchen, it was almost always
>called a grill..... a few called it a griddle..... but now, everyone in
>the food industry seems to call it a flat-top.

Probably since the "That's not BBQ, it's grilled" Nazi's took over.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:11:52 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:43:37 -0500, cybercat wrote:

>>> not
>>> beats
>>> the 2-3

>>> OMIGOD I missed the griddle comment. Un****inbelievable !!
>>>

>> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
>> it is done.

>well, that's how i do it.

I would bet a quarter that's the way the majority of us do it. I
don't want to sacrifice food to practicing flipping. I certainly
don't want to clean up the resulting mess when I miss. No interest
what-so-ever and (IMO) it's as necessary as tossing pizza dough in the
air.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:09:02 -0500, blake murphy
| > wrote:
|
| >i use a seven-inch revereware (stainless) for two-egg omelets and usually
| >get good results. but i use a lot of butter (one tablespoon).
|
| Oh, man... butter in eggs is sublime. I don't fry/saute with butter,
| but I do when making scrambled eggs or omelets. 1 hunk of butter in
| the pan (that's not hot enough to brown the butter), let it melt
| almost all the way and pour in eggs. Add another hunk of butter and
| agitate the eggs until set - getting all that saturated buttery
| goodness well incorporated. YUM!

This is about what I do but I let the butter brown a touch before
adding the eggs. It creates a sort of Omelet in Browned Butter,
which while not Traditional is soothing on these cold dank mornings.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
| "l, not -l" > wrote in
| :
|

| > On 8-Dec-2009, aem > wrote:
| >
| >> As usual, the knee-jerk Sheldon bashers read something that is new to
| >> them and unthinkingly deny it. Decades ago when I did my short-order
| >> cook part-time job I made hundreds of omelets on a griddle. Pretty
| >> much anything you can pan fry, pan broil, saute, or sweat in a pan
| >> can be made on a griddle, in many cases better. As to eggs spreading
| >> too thin, that's a function of how fresh the eggs are, how hot the
| >> section of griddle you use is, and how quick your hands are--all in
| >> all, not a problem to control. -aem
| >
| > I'll second that. For a number of years, my job had me out of town
| > 1/3 to 1/2 the time and I often stayed in Embassy Suites hotels. The
| > complementary breakfast offered by Embassy Suites almost always had
| > omelets as an option; I have watched hundreds of times as their
| > short-order cooks ladled beaten eggs onto the griddle and served up a
| > tasty, rolled omelet in about a minute. I prefer a puffy, folded
| > omelet; but, the hundreds of rolled omelets I have eaten at Embassy
| > Suites were quite good.
| >
| > It was amazing to watch the high-volume short-order cook work; ladle
| > on the eggs, then, spatula in each hand, grab some fillings on the tip
| > of one spatula while the other is tending the omelet. Fill, roll,
| > chop-chop to trim the edges, push the scraps off the back of the
| > griddle with one spatula while the other spatula swoops under the
| > omelet to move it to the waiting plate.
| >
| > When I wasn't staying at an Embassy Suites, I always looked for diners
| > near my hotel. A good, busy short-order cook can be a marvel to
| > watch. A tip of the hat to short-order cooks.
|

| I too enjoy the omelet stations at hotels and Sunday brunch places. As
| crafty as you explained. Sauteing the fixings in butter in one pan and
| then the ladle of egg in butter in a second pan and folding it all
| together to finish in perfect timing. Always light and fluffy and never
| overdone.

You two are amazing. l-not-whatever wrote a very nice compliment to
the short order cooks who use professional griddles, which pretty much
none of us has in our kitchens. Then Andy comes in and "agrees" with
l-not-whatever and babbles about cooking with "one pan and then the
laddle of egg in butter in a second pan..., " in other words not at all a
griddle but the omelet pans we have been talking about and which l-not-
too-smart had just dismissed in favor of the griddle because Sheldumb
said was better than the pans that Andy then said were better. What
a bloody circle-jerk: l-weird with his griddle and then Andy with his
pans and then Sheldumb with his griddle and whoopee we all know
so much from these twerps. God help us.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> | "l, not -l" > wrote in
>> | :

>> | I too enjoy the omelet stations at hotels and Sunday brunch places.
>> | As crafty as you explained. Sauteing the fixings in butter in one pan
>> | and then the ladle of egg in butter in a second pan and folding it
>> | all together to finish in perfect timing. Always light and fluffy and
>> | never overdone.
>>
>> You two are amazing. l-not-whatever wrote a very nice compliment to
>> the short order cooks who use professional griddles, which pretty much
>> none of us has in our kitchens. Then Andy comes in and "agrees" with
>> l-not-whatever and babbles about cooking with "one pan and then the
>> laddle of egg in butter in a second pan..., " in other words not at
>> all a griddle but the omelet pans we have been talking about and which
>> l-not- too-smart had just dismissed in favor of the griddle because
>> Sheldumb said was better than the pans that Andy then said were
>> better. What a bloody circle-jerk: l-weird with his griddle and then
>> Andy with his pans and then Sheldumb with his griddle and whoopee we
>> all know so much from these twerps. God help us.
>>
>> pavane

> pavane, you're on the rag, obviously!
>
> There's something to be said for watching an omelet made in front of your
> eyes, rather than a jerk just likek you with a runny nose in a kitchen
> out of sight sneezing on YOUR omelet.
>
> You need to chill!

Andy, you got sidetracked. Sheldon and aem were talking about making
omelets on a griddle. You agreed with them by saying you liked watching
people make them in PANS.

It wasn't about making them in front of your eyes... it was about the
method of cooking (griddle or pan).

And like I said, fry pan, saute pan, griddle, grill, etc... a good cook
can make a good omelet on anything. Heck, I bet a good cook could make
an omelet on a hot shovel over a campfire if he had to. <vbg>

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
| "pavane" > wrote in
| :
|

| > "Andy" > wrote in message
| >| "l, not -l" > wrote in
| >| :
| >|

| >|
| >|
| >| I too enjoy the omelet stations at hotels and Sunday brunch places.
| >| As crafty as you explained. Sauteing the fixings in butter in one pan
| >| and then the ladle of egg in butter in a second pan and folding it
| >| all together to finish in perfect timing. Always light and fluffy and
| >| never overdone.
| >
| > You two are amazing. l-not-whatever wrote a very nice compliment to
| > the short order cooks who use professional griddles, which pretty much
| > none of us has in our kitchens. Then Andy comes in and "agrees" with
| > l-not-whatever and babbles about cooking with "one pan and then the
| > laddle of egg in butter in a second pan..., " in other words not at
| > all a griddle but the omelet pans we have been talking about and which
| > l-not- too-smart had just dismissed in favor of the griddle because
| > Sheldumb said was better than the pans that Andy then said were
| > better. What a bloody circle-jerk: l-weird with his griddle and then
| > Andy with his pans and then Sheldumb with his griddle and whoopee we
| > all know so much from these twerps. God help us.
| >
| > pavane
|

| pavane, you're on the rag, obviously!
|
| There's something to be said for watching an omelet made in front of your
| eyes, rather than a jerk just likek you with a runny nose in a kitchen
| out of sight sneezing on YOUR omelet.
|
| You need to chill!
|
| Andy

Typically ad hominem, without a bit of sense or constructive ideas.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message
> | "pavane" > wrote in
> | :

> | >|

> | >|
> | >|

> | > You two are amazing. l-not-whatever wrote a very nice compliment to
> | > the short order cooks who use professional griddles, which pretty much
> | > none of us has in our kitchens. Then Andy comes in and "agrees" with
> | > l-not-whatever and babbles about cooking with "one pan and then the
> | > laddle of egg in butter in a second pan..., " in other words not at
> | > all a griddle but the omelet pans we have been talking about and which
> | > l-not- too-smart had just dismissed in favor of the griddle because
> | > Sheldumb said was better than the pans that Andy then said were
> | > better. What a bloody circle-jerk: l-weird with his griddle and then
> | > Andy with his pans and then Sheldumb with his griddle and whoopee we
> | > all know so much from these twerps. God help us.
> | >
> | > pavane
> |

> | pavane, you're on the rag, obviously!
> |
> | There's something to be said for watching an omelet made in front of
> your
> | eyes, rather than a jerk just likek you with a runny nose in a kitchen
> | out of sight sneezing on YOUR omelet.
> |
> | You need to chill!
> |
> | Andy
>
> Typically ad hominem, without a bit of sense or constructive ideas.
>
> pavane

Andy needs to be put away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 8-Dec-2009, "pavane" > wrote:
>
>> You two are amazing. l-not-whatever wrote a very nice compliment to
>> the short order cooks who use professional griddles, which pretty much
>> none of us has in our kitchens. Then Andy comes in and "agrees" with
>> l-not-whatever and babbles about cooking with "one pan and then the
>> laddle of egg in butter in a second pan..., " in other words not at all a
>> griddle but the omelet pans we have been talking about and which l-not-
>> too-smart had just dismissed in favor of the griddle because Sheldumb
>> said was better than the pans that Andy then said were better. What
>> a bloody circle-jerk: l-weird with his griddle and then Andy with his
>> pans and then Sheldumb with his griddle and whoopee we all know
>> so much from these twerps. God help us.

> I hope your mean-spirted, unkind words make you feel better about
> yourself,
> even if briefly.

Bob Muncie, is that you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George replied to Sheldon:

>> No professional cook uses a pan to cook omelets, what if there needs to
>> be more than one omelet served at the same time? duh

> The Waffle House just called and reminded me that they make ALL their
> omelets in pans.... even thought hey have a grill.

LOL...Waffle House was the first thing which came to my mind when I read
Sheldon's ignorant blather.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 4:01 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:11:52 -0500, blake murphy
>

> > wrote:

> >> Because he has to get a spatula under it and fold it. He thinks that is how
> >> it is done.

> >well, that's how i do it.

> I would bet a quarter that's the way the majority of us do it. I
> don't want to sacrifice food to practicing flipping. I certainly
> don't want to clean up the resulting mess when I miss. No interest
> what-so-ever and (IMO) it's as necessary as tossing pizza dough in the
> air.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Flipping ain't that hard. It's not showmanship, just efficiency.
Gotta have a very clean pan. For an omelet or other eggs, a
dedicated, well-seasoned or non-stick pan is best, but I agree with
George(?) - a relatively clean shovel over a fire could work, too.

When I was a short-order - eggs flipped in pans, omeletes (from a
prepped bucket of seasoned eggs. This weren't no gourmet diner) on
the flattop. At home, omeletes in a big pan, and flipped.

FWIW - when I bother to make home-made pizza, I spin the dough.

Bulka

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 02:22:28 -0800 (PST), bulka
> wrote:

>On Dec 8, 4:01 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:11:52 -0500, blake murphy
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >well, that's how i do it.

>> I would bet a quarter that's the way the majority of us do it. I
>> don't want to sacrifice food to practicing flipping. I certainly
>> don't want to clean up the resulting mess when I miss. No interest
>> what-so-ever and (IMO) it's as necessary as tossing pizza dough in the
>> air.
>>

>Flipping ain't that hard. It's not showmanship, just efficiency.
>Gotta have a very clean pan. For an omelet or other eggs, a
>dedicated, well-seasoned or non-stick pan is best, but I agree with
>George(?) - a relatively clean shovel over a fire could work, too.
>
>When I was a short-order - eggs flipped in pans, omeletes (from a
>prepped bucket of seasoned eggs. This weren't no gourmet diner) on
>the flattop. At home, omeletes in a big pan, and flipped.
>
>FWIW - when I bother to make home-made pizza, I spin the dough.

Vive la différence. I was never a short order cook, so no practice
and I'm not going to practice at home.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Flipping ain't that hard. It's not showmanship, just efficiency.
>> Gotta have a very clean pan. For an omelet or other eggs, a
>> dedicated, well-seasoned or non-stick pan is best, but I agree with
>> George(?) - a relatively clean shovel over a fire could work, too.
>>
>> When I was a short-order - eggs flipped in pans, omeletes (from a
>> prepped bucket of seasoned eggs. This weren't no gourmet diner) on
>> the flattop. At home, omeletes in a big pan, and flipped.
>>
>> FWIW - when I bother to make home-made pizza, I spin the dough.
>>

> Vive la différence. I was never a short order cook, so no practice
> and I'm not going to practice at home.

I was... and I worked in the kitchen at a big summer resort.

Being a short order cook can be a lot of fun if you are well organized.
I started out doing the dinner shift and thought I was pretty good
until the first time I filled in for someone for the breakfast shift.
Holy Mackerel was that a eye opener! You really have to be quick to
"run the grill" at breakfast.

Recently, we ate at a Waffle House on the way home from Florida and it
was fun to watch the cook. The restaurant wasn't very full at 6 AM, but
still, the kid behind the grill did a good job making my cheese steak
omelet and Becca's "some of everything" kind of breakfast. Since the
Waffle House cooks are right there in plain sight of everyone, they are
taught to work clean and the best of them bring a little showmanship to
the job... making it fun for themselves and the customers.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 08:48:51 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I was... and I worked in the kitchen at a big summer resort.
>
>Being a short order cook can be a lot of fun if you are well organized.
> I started out doing the dinner shift and thought I was pretty good
>until the first time I filled in for someone for the breakfast shift.
>Holy Mackerel was that a eye opener! You really have to be quick to
>"run the grill" at breakfast.

You're right. Those guys get a workout!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:11:59 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>>Here is a question..... when did a kitchen grill or griddle start being
>>called a "flat-top"? When I worked in a kitchen, it was almost always
>>called a grill..... a few called it a griddle..... but now, everyone in
>>the food industry seems to call it a flat-top.

> Probably since the "That's not BBQ, it's grilled" Nazi's took over.

Apostrophe's and they're use's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 8-Dec-2009, aem > wrote:
> > When I wasn't staying at an Embassy Suites, I always looked for diners
> > near

> my hotel. A good, busy short-order cook can be a marvel to watch. A tip
> of the hat to short-order cooks.

My wife and I had breakfast in a San Francisco diner once. The omelet was
perfect and so on the way out, we handed a tip directly to the cook .
Judging by the look on his face, that was the first time that had ever
happened.
Argus

"Julie & Julia", Julia Child, Meryl Streep and Rachel Khoo [email protected] General Cooking 30 04-12-2012 08:42 PM
Julia Child Dora General Cooking 6 09-09-2009 06:15 PM
Julia Child Opinicus Historic 1 28-01-2007 01:35 AM
Julie and Julia: Favorite Julia Child Recipes? Karen MacInerney General Cooking 8 08-01-2006 03:35 PM
Julia Child Julia Altshuler General Cooking 1 14-08-2004 11:52 AM