Old 17-02-2013, 10:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Deducting fiber from carbs.

Here are links to show that you should do this. If you live in the US
anyway. Not sure how Canada does food labels in regard to fiber but most
other countries have already done the math for ya. So this wouldn't apply
to you if you live in one of those other countries.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5040411_fo...ing-carbs.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...m-total-carbs/

And this one said that even Atkins eventually said that you should. Note
that I have not kept up on Atkins. Have never done that plan and never
would. And the last time I read one of his books was at least 10 years ago.
And only then because my husband thought he wanted to go on it. But there
is no way he could have stuck to it being the fruit lover that he is.

http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQ/fiberbasics.php

So, if you are not subtracting your carbs, you could get a nasty hypo,
particularly if you are taking insulin!

Old 17-02-2013, 05:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/17/2013 4:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Hate to burst your bubble, but none of those web sites are recognized
medical ones. Anyone can put the answers they want into a search engine
and come up with web sites to support their hypothesis.

We use the ADA's recommendation for deducting carbs when the fiber is 5
grams or more per serving. He learned carb counting 12 years ago from a
certified diabetes educator who was also a certified dietician in a
regional medical center that was attached to the state medical school.
His A1C's immediately dropped below 6.5 on carb counting and oral meds
and have been consistently lower than 6.2 since he went on MDI and then
the pump. I think this history has more validity than your random web
sites.

My DH is on insulin (pumper) and he deducts only if the fiber per
serving on the label is 5 grams of more.

In the 7 years he's been on insulin, this practice has never caused him
a "nasty hypo"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 17-02-2013, 08:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:08:01 -0600, in alt.food.diabetic, Janet Wilder
wrote:

[...]

When the fiber is more than 5 grams, does he deduct all the fiber or
only the amount that exceeds the 5?
Old 17-02-2013, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Well, I looked it up and it does say if there are 5 grams or more on the ADA
website to deduct half the carbs. This was not what I was ever instructed
to do by any dietician. I was told to go by net carbs. Oh and I've had a
lot of nasty hypos both on and off of insulin!

Old 18-02-2013, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/17/2013 02:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Hi All,

I am remembering why my GP told me to just count the carbs.
He said that fiber just slowed the absorption. Fiber does not
block the absorption. And, he wanted me off high amounts
of carbs, period.

Over on the ADA's forum, they call the delayed absorption
effect the "pizza effect". Essentially, the Pizza Effect
is the gift that keeps on giving. The high fats in Pizza
slow the absorption of the carbs. But you still absorb
them. Your BG go up slowly, but it stays up for hours
and hours.

I think my GP has a point. He is a smart guy.

And, you could always test over several hours to see
what the damage is. I believe the number of 140 is
where BG starts becoming really unhealthy.

-T

Old 18-02-2013, 04:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the information Janet. I am trying to keep this diet
controlled as long as possible.
Old 18-02-2013, 04:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 14:47:42 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
web.com...
[...]

Isn't net carb what you get after you deduct the fiber from the total
carb count?
Old 18-02-2013, 04:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I never said that it did block the absorption!

Over on the ADA's forum, they call the delayed absorption
effect the "pizza effect". Essentially, the Pizza Effect
is the gift that keeps on giving. The high fats in Pizza
slow the absorption of the carbs. But you still absorb
them. Your BG go up slowly, but it stays up for hours
and hours.

That's not the same thing at all and I think everyone here knows about the
pizza effect. In my case my BG doesn't go up slowly at all. I have a hypo
because those carbs didn't get into my system. Then they come slamming into
it along with the carbs that I ate for the hypo. And then I have high BG.
It does not stay high for hours and hours though.

I think my GP has a point. He is a smart guy.

And that point is?

And, you could always test over several hours to see
what the damage is. I believe the number of 140 is
where BG starts becoming really unhealthy.

You can't really test to see if there is damage. You can test your BG
though.

Old 18-02-2013, 04:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
Isn't net carb what you get after you deduct the fiber from the total
carb count?

Yes. And that's what I do.

Old 18-02-2013, 05:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/17/2013 08:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I never thought you did.

Over on the ADA's forum, they call the delayed absorption
effect the "pizza effect". Essentially, the Pizza Effect
is the gift that keeps on giving. The high fats in Pizza
slow the absorption of the carbs. But you still absorb
them. Your BG go up slowly, but it stays up for hours
and hours.

That's not the same thing at all and I think everyone here knows about the
pizza effect. In my case my BG doesn't go up slowly at all. I have a hypo
because those carbs didn't get into my system. Then they come slamming into
it along with the carbs that I ate for the hypo. And then I have high BG.
It does not stay high for hours and hours though.

It must drive you nuts.

I think my GP has a point. He is a smart guy.

And that point is?

I like the man.

And, you could always test over several hours to see
what the damage is. I believe the number of 140 is
where BG starts becoming really unhealthy.

You can't really test to see if there is damage. You can test your BG
though.

By "damage", I meant how high your BG went.

Old 18-02-2013, 05:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

No. Because I don't eat regular pizza. I don't even like pizza too much.
Once in a while I have some made with rice cheese. It doesn't spike me.

I think my GP has a point. He is a smart guy.

And that point is?

I like the man.

Okay. I'm confused. His point is that you like him?

And, you could always test over several hours to see
what the damage is. I believe the number of 140 is
where BG starts becoming really unhealthy.

You can't really test to see if there is damage. You can test your BG
though.

By "damage", I meant how high your BG went.

But that's not necessarily damage.

Low fiber diet WAS: Colonoscopy [email protected] General Cooking 52 31-10-2014 04:39 AM
High fiber recipe? KenK General Cooking 11 31-05-2013 05:55 PM
uhhhhh...fiber? z z General Cooking 6 14-06-2012 07:11 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM
Low fat low fiber vegetarian diet Jupiter Vegan 20 12-02-2004 02:49 AM