Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High fiber recipe?

I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.

Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers

TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

>I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
>cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
>beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
>etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.
>
>Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
>or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers

http://wolffskasha.com/
http://thebirkettmills.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message

> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
> cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
> beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
> etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.
>
> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
> or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers
>
> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

How about a big salad? Oatmeal? Baked potato? Fruit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2013 10:03 AM, KenK wrote:
> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
> cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
> beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
> etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.
>
> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
> or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers
>
> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

Toss in some fiber powder to a low fiber recipe you like?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>
>> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years
>> of cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean
>> burrito, beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage,
>> casseroles, meatballs, etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans,
>> etc.
>>
>> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides
>> legumes or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes
>> with leftovers
>>
>> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

> How about a big salad? Oatmeal? Baked potato? Fruit?

I didn't realize salad was high fiber. I suppose it all depends on what
you put in it. I'll have to research the possibilities. Same with baked
potato and oatmeal. I already eat fruit twice a day usually.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> On 5/30/2013 10:03 AM, KenK wrote:
>> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years
>> of cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean
>> burrito, beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage,
>> casseroles, meatballs, etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans,
>> etc.
>>
>> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides
>> legumes or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes
>> with leftovers
>>
>> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.
>>

> Toss in some fiber powder to a low fiber recipe you like?
>
> nancy

I do that once in a while. I should do it much more often. It doesn't
seem to affect the taste or texture that I can tell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> KenK wrote:
>>
>>I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years
>>of cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean
>>burrito, beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage,
>>casseroles, meatballs, etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans,
>>etc.
>>
>>Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides
>>legumes or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with
>>leftovers

> http://wolffskasha.com/
> http://thebirkettmills.com/

I haven't had kasha for decades. I'll have to try it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2013 1:03 PM, KenK wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 5/30/2013 10:03 AM, KenK wrote:
>>> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years
>>> of cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean
>>> burrito, beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage,
>>> casseroles, meatballs, etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans,
>>> etc.
>>>

>>> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.
>>>

>> Toss in some fiber powder to a low fiber recipe you like?
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I do that once in a while. I should do it much more often. It doesn't
> seem to affect the taste or texture that I can tell.

I was looking at a cannister of water-soluable fiber powder. I was
surprised to see it said "great for cooking" on the package. It had
never occurred to me.

Jill
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.

Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers

TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

Try a tablespoon of Metamucil..aka psylium hulls in a glass of water each day. No need to try to eat the stuff in the food. That tip come from a famous gastrointestinal doctor. I forget his name right now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I used to make goldenflaxseedmeal (ground golden flaxseed) muffins with
nuts and 100 times more cinnamon than you would normally put in a muffin
(to overcome the flax effect.) They were extremely filling and the fiber
effect was surreal :-)

The protein bars from Atkins or Special K are also quite amazing-works
better if you keep on eating them. One offs wont be as noticeable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>
>> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years of
>> cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
>> beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles, meatballs,
>> etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.
>>
>> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides legumes
>> or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with leftovers
>>
>> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.

> How about a big salad? Oatmeal? Baked potato? Fruit?

Throw some raw potato in there. Potato sticks in you salad.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bigwheel > wrote in
:

> KenK;1837524 Wrote:
>> I feel best if I have at least one high fiber meal a day. After years

of

>> cooking these I am getting tired of most of my recipes - bean burrito,
>> beans & shanks or smoked turkey, lentils & sausage, casseroles,
>> meatballs,
>> etc. with whole wheat pasta, hot dogs & beans, etc.
>>
>> Any _simple_ recipes off the beaten track? Maybe something besides
>> legumes
>> or whole wheat pasta? I live alone but like large recipes with
>> leftovers
>>
>> TIA for your assistance and suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> "Where there's smoke there's toast!" Anon

> Try a tablespoon of Metamucil..aka psylium hulls in a glass of water
> each day. No need to try to eat the stuff in the food. That tip come
> from a famous gastrointestinal doctor. I forget his name right now.

I've done that for decades. I like to get some additional fiber too. I'm
crazy, but harmless.