Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Deducting fiber from carbs.

On 2/17/2013 4:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Here are links to show that you should do this. If you live in the US
> anyway. Not sure how Canada does food labels in regard to fiber but most
> other countries have already done the math for ya. So this wouldn't apply
> to you if you live in one of those other countries.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/about_5040411_fo...ing-carbs.html
>
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...m-total-carbs/
>
> And this one said that even Atkins eventually said that you should. Note
> that I have not kept up on Atkins. Have never done that plan and never
> would. And the last time I read one of his books was at least 10 years ago.
> And only then because my husband thought he wanted to go on it. But there
> is no way he could have stuck to it being the fruit lover that he is.
>
> http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQ/fiberbasics.php
>
> So, if you are not subtracting your carbs, you could get a nasty hypo,
> particularly if you are taking insulin!

Hate to burst your bubble, but none of those web sites are recognized
medical ones. Anyone can put the answers they want into a search engine
and come up with web sites to support their hypothesis.

We use the ADA's recommendation for deducting carbs when the fiber is 5
grams or more per serving. He learned carb counting 12 years ago from a
certified diabetes educator who was also a certified dietician in a
regional medical center that was attached to the state medical school.
His A1C's immediately dropped below 6.5 on carb counting and oral meds
and have been consistently lower than 6.2 since he went on MDI and then
the pump. I think this history has more validity than your random web
sites.

My DH is on insulin (pumper) and he deducts only if the fiber per
serving on the label is 5 grams of more.

In the 7 years he's been on insulin, this practice has never caused him
a "nasty hypo"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas