Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Stuffed shells.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And
>>> I want
>>> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
>>> have
>>> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before
>>> we knew
>>> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still
>>> do that
>>> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>>>
>>> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
>>> It's
>>> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
>>> part.
>>> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
>>> squeezed
>>> out.
>>>
>>> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
>>> frozen, but
>>> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely
>>> and
>>> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
>>> lasagna
>>> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be
>>> absorbed? I do
>>> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them first.
>>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
>>> finely and
>>> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

>> Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until
>> they
>> wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the
>> water
>> out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
>> when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
>>
>> On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
>> difference.

> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

Ricotta shouldn't go sloppy. Try to get a dry one from a deli, I find
the carton type more creamy in texture. I used to like the smoother one
when doing Weight Watcher's. Sometimes for breakfast I would mix a bit
of liquid sweetener through it and spread on toast, top with cinnamon
and put under the grill for a little bit, wonderful