Old 23-05-2011, 03:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What to serve with Kielbasa?

Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local restaurant.
There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!

The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I loved
the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor my
husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
anyway.

So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to make
faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only the
shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right kind
of onions.

I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I went
overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started finding
it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.

Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will be
having a hamburger patty that night.

Thanks!

Old 23-05-2011, 05:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

I've served it with gnochhi lightly steamed and then sautéed in garlic and
butter (or olive oil) and if you want to get extravagant throw in some mushrooms

Old 23-05-2011, 06:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie wrote in message
[...]

snap!

but, before i make a dish with Kielbasa, i will fork the sausages then
put them into boiling water for an hour or more to cook off the fat

then brown them in a pan, cut them up and do the slow cooker as Stormee
suggests here

and the mushrooms and.................. clean the fridge out, call it
goulash

lol

kate
Old 23-05-2011, 07:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I didn't know they were fatty but then I don't cook them often.

Old 23-05-2011, 02:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

My son likes keilbasa sandwiches. Cut them into sandwish-sized lengths, then
in half lengthwise and cook in a cast iron skillet until browned on both
sides. Serve in two slices of lightly toasted bread, buttered or not
according to your preference, with mustard.

Old 23-05-2011, 02:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

Thanks! I didn't know they were fatty but then I don't cook them
often.

I always cut them up and brown them before adding them to things like chili.
They taste better and it cooks off some of the fat. There are a few recipes,
like some of Paul Prudhomme's cajun cooking where they can sub for
andouille, where they aren't browned first and are just fine, but in that
they cook for quite a while.

I'm particularly fond of Hillshire Farms beef keilbasa, but they are almost
all good.

Old 23-05-2011, 10:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

My daughter makes a snack I don't particularly like but she slices
Kabana, another type of sausage, browns the slices in a bit of oil and
does the same with haloumi cheese. Serves them together.