Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What to serve with Kielbasa?

Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local restaurant.
There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!

The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I loved
the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor my
husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
anyway.

So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to make
faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only the
shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right kind
of onions.

I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I went
overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started finding
it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.

Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will be
having a hamburger patty that night.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

with kraute and potatoes, just chuck it all in a pot and slow cook, or with
peppers/;onions; tomatoes over the rice.

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local restaurant.
> There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
> Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>
> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I loved
> the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
> around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor
> my husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
> anyway.
>
> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to
> make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only
> the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right
> kind of onions.
>
> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I went
> overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started
> finding it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>
> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will be
> having a hamburger patty that night.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local restaurant.
> There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
> Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>
> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I loved
> the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
> around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor my
> husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
> anyway.
>
> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to make
> faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only the
> shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right kind
> of onions.
>
> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I went
> overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started finding
> it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>
> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will be
> having a hamburger patty that night.
>
> Thanks!

I've served it with gnochhi lightly steamed and then sautéed in garlic and
butter (or olive oil) and if you want to get extravagant throw in some mushrooms
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks!
"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> with kraute and potatoes, just chuck it all in a pot and slow cook, or
> with peppers/;onions; tomatoes over the rice.
>
> Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
>> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local
>> restaurant. There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe
>> some fruit. Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>>
>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
>> loved the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up
>> picking around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither
>> Angela nor my husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is
>> allergic to them anyway.
>>
>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to
>> make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only
>> the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right
>> kind of onions.
>>
>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
>> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I
>> went overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started
>> finding it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>>
>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
>> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
>> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will
>> be having a hamburger patty that night.
>>
>> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
>> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local
>> restaurant.
>> There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
>> Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>>
>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
>> loved
>> the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
>> around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor
>> my
>> husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
>> anyway.
>>
>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to
>> make
>> faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only the
>> shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right
>> kind
>> of onions.
>>
>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
>> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I
>> went
>> overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started
>> finding
>> it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>>
>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
>> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
>> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will
>> be
>> having a hamburger patty that night.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I've served it with gnochhi lightly steamed and then sautéed in garlic and
> butter (or olive oil) and if you want to get extravagant throw in some
> mushrooms

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/22/2011 9:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> with kraute and potatoes, just chuck it all in a pot and slow cook, or with
> peppers/;onions; tomatoes over the rice.
>
> Lee
> "Julie > wrote in message
>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home because
>> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local restaurant.
>> There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
>> Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>>
>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I loved
>> the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up picking
>> around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela nor
>> my husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
>> anyway.
>>
>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to
>> make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have only
>> the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the right
>> kind of onions.
>>
>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh. I
>> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I went
>> overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started
>> finding it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>>
>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
>> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
>> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will be
>> having a hamburger patty that night.
>>
>> Thanks!

snap!

but, before i make a dish with Kielbasa, i will fork the sausages then
put them into boiling water for an hour or more to cook off the fat

then brown them in a pan, cut them up and do the slow cooker as Stormee
suggests here

and the mushrooms and.................. clean the fridge out, call it
goulash

lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 5/22/2011 9:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> with kraute and potatoes, just chuck it all in a pot and slow cook, or
>> with
>> peppers/;onions; tomatoes over the rice.
>>
>> Lee
>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home
>>> because
>>> she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a local
>>> restaurant.
>>> There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad and maybe some fruit.
>>> Somehow I don't think that is how it is traditionally served!
>>>
>>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
>>> loved
>>> the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound up
>>> picking
>>> around it to eat. I won't be making that though since neither Angela
>>> nor
>>> my husband will eat lentils. No matter since Angela is allergic to them
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have to
>>> make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I have
>>> only
>>> the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind anyway) or the
>>> right
>>> kind of onions.
>>>
>>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still fresh.
>>> think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I think I
>>> went
>>> overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I started
>>> finding it for a good price and getting coupons for it, so I bought it.
>>>
>>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served with
>>> something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is home but
>>> we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home for. I will
>>> be
>>> having a hamburger patty that night.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

> snap!
>
> but, before i make a dish with Kielbasa, i will fork the sausages then put
> them into boiling water for an hour or more to cook off the fat
>
> then brown them in a pan, cut them up and do the slow cooker as Stormee
> suggests here
>
> and the mushrooms and.................. clean the fridge out, call it
> goulash
>
> lol

Thanks! I didn't know they were fatty but then I don't cook them often.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home
> because she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a
> local restaurant. There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad
> and maybe some fruit. Somehow I don't think that is how it is
> traditionally served!
> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
> loved the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound
> up picking around it to eat. I won't be making that though since
> neither Angela nor my husband will eat lentils. No matter since
> Angela is allergic to them anyway.
>
> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have
> to make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I
> have only the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind
> anyway) or the right kind of onions.
>
> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still
> fresh. I think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I
> think I went overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I
> started finding it for a good price and getting coupons for
> it, so I bought it.
> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served
> with something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is
> home but we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home
> for. I will be having a hamburger patty that night.
>
> Thanks!

My son likes keilbasa sandwiches. Cut them into sandwish-sized lengths, then
in half lengthwise and cook in a cast iron skillet until browned on both
sides. Serve in two slices of lightly toasted bread, buttered or not
according to your preference, with mustard.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> Thanks! I didn't know they were fatty but then I don't cook them
> often.

I always cut them up and brown them before adding them to things like chili.
They taste better and it cooks off some of the fat. There are a few recipes,
like some of Paul Prudhomme's cajun cooking where they can sub for
andouille, where they aren't browned first and are just fine, but in that
they cook for quite a while.

I'm particularly fond of Hillshire Farms beef keilbasa, but they are almost
all good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home
>> because she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a
>> local restaurant. There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad
>> and maybe some fruit. Somehow I don't think that is how it is
>> traditionally served!
>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
>> loved the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound
>> up picking around it to eat. I won't be making that though since
>> neither Angela nor my husband will eat lentils. No matter since
>> Angela is allergic to them anyway.
>>
>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have
>> to make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I
>> have only the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind
>> anyway) or the right kind of onions.
>>
>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still
>> fresh. I think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice! I
>> think I went overboard because the price was so high for so long. Then I
>> started finding it for a good price and getting coupons for
>> it, so I bought it.
>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served
>> with something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is
>> home but we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home
>> for. I will be having a hamburger patty that night.
>>
>> Thanks!

> My son likes keilbasa sandwiches. Cut them into sandwish-sized lengths,
> then in half lengthwise and cook in a cast iron skillet until browned on
> both sides. Serve in two slices of lightly toasted bread, buttered or not
> according to your preference, with mustard.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Angela found some and wanted it. I don't normally fix it at home
>> because she can get it as a breakfast item (served all day) at a
>> local restaurant. There she gets it with fries or hash browns, salad
>> and maybe some fruit. Somehow I don't think that is how it is
>> traditionally served!
>> The only way I ever had it was in Kielbasa, lentil soup. Although I
>> loved the lentils, I can't say the same for the Kielbasa and I wound
>> up picking around it to eat. I won't be making that though since
>> neither Angela nor my husband will eat lentils. No matter since
>> Angela is allergic to them anyway.
>>
>> So what would I serve? I am thinking maybe Pierogies? I would have
>> to make faux ones and would have to buy stuff to make them since I
>> have only the shells for stuffing. No potatoes (not that kind
>> anyway) or the right kind of onions.
>>
>> I do have some of those little pearl potatoes if they are still
>> fresh. I think I bought them awhile ago. And I have a TON of rice!
>> I think I went overboard because the price was so high for so long.
>> Then I started finding it for a good price and getting coupons for
>> it, so I bought it.
>> Could I do something with one of those? Or is it rationally served
>> with something else? I am hoping I can make it while my husband is
>> home but we'll have to see. Not sure how many days he will be home
>> for. I will be having a hamburger patty that night.
>>
>> Thanks!

> My son likes keilbasa sandwiches. Cut them into sandwish-sized
> lengths, then in half lengthwise and cook in a cast iron skillet until
> browned on both sides. Serve in two slices of lightly toasted bread,
> buttered or not according to your preference, with mustard.

My daughter makes a snack I don't particularly like but she slices
Kabana, another type of sausage, browns the slices in a bit of oil and
does the same with haloumi cheese. Serves them together.